Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1701680810045112437

"Only Auderer’s side of the conversation is audible in the body-camera footage released Monday. In the conversation, he laughs about the deadly crash and dismisses any implication the officer might be at fault or that a criminal investigation was necessary.

He also laughed several times, saying at one point: “Yeah, just write a check.”

“Eleven thousand dollars. She was 26 anyway,” Auderer said, misstating the victim’s age. “She had limited value.”"

Which he then tried to backtrack once others heard the audio.

"“I responded with something like: ‘She’s 26 years old. What value is there? Who cares?’ I intended the comment as a mockery of lawyers,” Auderer reported, according to KTTH. “I laughed at the ridiculousness of how these incidents are litigated and the ridiculousness of how I watched these incidents play out as two parties bargain over a tragedy.”"

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...uck-by-officer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
yeah uh completely ignoring the callousness, 11k is laughable even by corporate standards, never mind government

don't really expect consequences for the cop but the lawyers are going to be gathering like piranhas

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
They are not the same cop. That is misleading, the cop who drove over her is named Kevin Dave. The guy on that video laughing is Daniel Auderer, vice president of the Seattle Police Officers Guild. He is calling the SPOG President, Mike Solan, and they both laugh.

Dave himself does render aid to the pedestrian and does not seem to lie about circumstances in the police camera footage. He tells that the pedestrian is in the crosswalk, and he basically recounts it happening the way it happens. The union guy is trying to lie about it.

The video of the accident itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5r5NZxX6zQ&t=250s

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 12, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah looks like I skimmed right over that.
This time its the bosses being dicks instead of the cop.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

OgNar posted:

No, the Twitter account is sadly peddling mis-info. Sucks because he's getting told this in comments and he seems to be saying "idgaf", which is not a good look.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

OgNar posted:

Sounds like Oops! All Bad Apples to me.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

They are not the same cop. That is misleading, the cop who drove over her is named Kevin Dave. The guy on that video laughing is Daniel Auderer, vice president of the Seattle Police Officers Guild. He is calling the SPOG President, Mike Solan, and they both laugh.

Dave himself does render aid to the pedestrian and does not seem to lie about circumstances in the police camera footage. He tells that the pedestrian is in the crosswalk, and he basically recounts it happening the way it happens. The union guy is trying to lie about it.

The video of the accident itself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5r5NZxX6zQ&t=250s

He is just as evil as the officer who hit her.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nucleic Acids posted:

He is just as evil as the officer who hit her.

I don’t give a gently caress. Purposeful misinformation is gross and should not be met with a shoulder shrug. The guy in that tweet has a lot of pull and he already got told in comments and still keeps that story because it sounds better.

I like to associate with people who do not think that it’s fine to blatantly lie despite knowing better, especially with something like assigning the callouss phone call to the cop who drove over just because you think ACAB. We don’t have to invent bullshit to get enough material to criticize pigs.

It’s like Marie Mott’s traffic stop. I gave money to a person who championed good causes and I was mad when she was mistreated by cops for it.

Except she lied about every single event in the body cam footage and kept peddling those lies to fundraise. gently caress that. We shouldn’t tolerate liars and mis- or hell, disinformation. It hosed up organizing in Chattanooga for others too, and made people wary of cooperating with her for ICANTBREATHECHA

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 14, 2023

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Vahakyla posted:

I don’t give a gently caress. Purposeful misinformation is gross and should not be met with a shoulder shrug. The guy in that tweet has a lot of pull and he already got told in comments and still keeps that story because it sounds better.

I like to associate with people who do not think that it’s fine to blatantly lie despite knowing better, especially with something like assigning the callouss phone call to the cop who drove over just because you think ACAB. We don’t have to invent bullshit to get enough material to criticize pigs.

It’s like Marie Mott’s traffic stop. I gave money to a person who championed good causes and I was mad when she was mistreated by cops for it.

Except she lied about every single event in the body cam footage and kept peddling those lies to fundraise. gently caress that. We shouldn’t tolerate liars and mis- or hell, disinformation. It hosed up organizing in Chattanooga for others too, and made people wary of cooperating with her for ICANTBREATHECHA

Totally on board with this. Most of the reason the cops are as hosed as they are is precisely because that they are continually allowed to act outside reasonable action because "who cares about due process if the bad guys get it". If cops follow due process and the process is evidence based best practice, it will reduce poor outcomes and protect the police.

For eg, in QLD, Australia, over a decade ago after police researched outcomes from high speed chases decided to pretty much ban them. Someone books it away from the police in their car? Cops turn off their lights and cease pursuit (follow up later by visiting the address, etc). Outcome was that QLD went from a few fatalities every year (something like 60:30:10 for chasee: innocent bystander: chaser ratio of deaths) to the first one in over decade a few years ago. There was no increase in crime over the same time period relating to people thinking they could just drive away and get out of it.

So the death that happened was along the lines of a police car saw something odd, turned on lights and turned around to pull over a car, the car raced off around a corner and disappeared, the police car turned off its lights as per procedure, then a few minutes later a call come through that the car in question had crashed and killed the driver. The cop was pulled into an inquiry because it was deemed a death associated with police action and felt a bit of sympathy for the cop to be grilled up the waazoo about their part.

I have absolutely no sympathy for American cops hurting themselves doing high speed pursuits or getting bit by their own dogs that they sicced onto "the perp' etc. Tribal acceptance of poo poo heads in your own "team" is how the Aussie SAS got to shooting children for fun or civilians when it was more convenient than not in Afghanistan.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Is restorative justice possible for perpetrators of rape?

This is a little E/N, but I think it's more D&D. I was talking to my current girlfriend about my ex-partner. My ex's brother committed statutory rape in 2008, served a decade, and went through a restorative justice process. My ex accepted her brother back into her life - it tore her family apart for a decade, but they all reconciled after his release.

My current GF believes restorative justice is not possible for perpetrators of sexual assault. She wanted me to confront my ex about it, stop talking to her (we have stayed friends), and I felt wrong doing so. I felt it would be cruel and pointless. Both the GF and the ex are victims of sexual assault so I don't think I have a place to either say something to the ex nor tell the GF how to think.

In the end, I'm not sure if it's possible or not. I want to believe it is. I have found articles and studies supporting both sides. Is it possible? Is it only possible in a post-carceral state?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Society in general? Probably. The same social circles that include their victims? Only if the victim actively wants to re-integrate them. Either way, reintegration needs to involve MAJOR accountability and transparency.

I have to coparent with the person who raped and otherwise SA’d me, and it absolutely fucks me up. We are on quite pleasant and civil terms, and our coparenting relationship is amicable, but every time I see him I want to throw up and/or have the intense urge to fawn and “make up” and pretend the awful last few years of our marriage never happened, all of which leave me struggling with major PTSD episodes for hours every week.

If he admitted his actions, including to our mutuals, and apologized to me and was able to express to me meaningfully how he’s changed, it wouldn’t be so bad. I would never want to hang out with him for fun, but it wouldn’t be so loving awful to see his face.

The thing is… rape perpetrators tend to be very good at lying, especially to themselves. It’s pretty rare for them to realize what fundamental hosed-up pattern of thought and behavior led them to the point of sexually assaulting someone. It’s safer to live in cognitive dissonance and deny that what they’re doing is rape. Mine truly seems to believe that I SA’d HIM by somehow psychologically manipulating him into [redacted], forcefully, and verbally abusing me throughout.

And reintegration depends on accountability! My ex talks a great game, he’s visibly “feminist” and “leftist” and “pro-queer,” and overall he’s a “great guy.” He’s just never once admitted that what he did to me was That. I even had to end a friendship with an afab person because they wanted to focus on “rehabilitating him” and “healing his attachment wounds.” (Yes, he was trying to gently caress them, and has been trying to since he and I were still married.)

In short: victims of SA/rape deserve to be safe from their perpetrators, and never see their loving faces again unless they specifically want to. Integrate them somewhere else and assume they’ll re-offend the minute they find a cognitive dissonance loophole that excuses it.

Find out how the victim feels about it, and go by what THEY say.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Hey remember when everyone was being super gross about that police sex scandal because the only person getting meme'd was the woman, because misogyny?

Well it looks like her involvement might have been rape, or at least coercive.

https://www.scribd.com/document/628366568/Maegan-Hall-Complaint

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Jaxyon posted:

Hey remember when everyone was being super gross about that police sex scandal because the only person getting meme'd was the woman, because misogyny?

Well it looks like her involvement might have been rape, or at least coercive.

https://www.scribd.com/document/628366568/Maegan-Hall-Complaint

I remember thinking there was something suspicious about the story

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Mod edit: Removed youtube embed of body camera video of police shooting. Link is below.

:nws: Link

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 7, 2023

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Police unions should be illegal.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

No Union should be illegal. Cops just need more oversight (or just to be removed)

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Cop unions aren’t unions. They let the boss join. They’re guilds and should be illegal.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Considering that police unions bend over backwards to protect the worst of cops, they all need to be dissolved and completely reconceptualized. I don't really want armed thugs banding together to defend themselves. Really, we wouldn't be ending any unions at all; they're now mercenary companies.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

elise the great posted:

Cop unions aren’t unions. They let the boss join. They’re guilds and should be illegal.

Police unions are not unions. This can’t go understated.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023
I see a lot of YouTube videos because of what my mom likes to watch of courtroom outbursts or "Karens in the courtroom." People, often criminal defendants, will make asses out of themselves in court and more or less flush their case and credibility down the toilet, wind up being put in jail for contempt, or are given harsher sentences because the judge does not appreciate their lack of deference. Think of the case that was highlighted by Rick and Morty for instance or this guy or this other guy mentioned in the previous video who's family was lovely to the victim's family.

But there's a thought I had. Are these extra punishments for emotional outbursts particularly fair given so many defendants have trauma? I found this article.

https://ctmirror.org/2023/03/31/ct-ruining-mans-life-trauma/

quote:

“Charlie” is a client of mine whose situation should serve as a cautionary tale and hopefully an incentive for these systems to better understand how to work with trauma.

Charlie is no angel. He has been in prison and has a history of making threats, although no history of actual violence – unless he is physically restrained, but more on a that in a moment. He also has a tendency to loudly curse out anyone who he feels is threatening him, whether that person is a drug dealer, a judge, or a DCF worker. He has a young son in foster care, who he is working to be re-united with. He has been homeless for over a year, a situation which has caused a great deal of stress in his life.

Charlie spent much of his own youth in foster care, where he was at times bullied and abused by institutional staff and needed to fight off physical and sexual assault by other residents. Fighting sometimes got him in trouble, but it also kept him as safe as he could be in those situations, and gave him a sense of power where he would otherwise feel at the mercy of institutions far bigger and more powerful than he.

Charlie is also an intelligent person who has been very punctual and committed in his appointments with me for over a decade. He is an active volunteer at a local church that serves free meals to homeless people, and enjoys conversations about spirituality. Until the Department of Children and Families removed his child, (not because of any mistreatment of the boy but because of the way Charlie’s trauma history made him respond to adults who criticized his parenting) he was a devoted single parent. Since the removal, he has had twice- weekly visits with his son and has been working diligently to put his little family back together. Before the current crisis, Charlie worked for years as a restaurant cook – a job he loved. When he feels respected and listened to, he is capable of being calm, thoughtful and generous.

It is understood in psychotherapy, and particularly emphasized in trauma therapy, that when someone feels threatened, they will respond with either a fight, flight, or freeze reaction. This is not a cognitive process. In crisis situations, the “thinking part” of the brain, the prefrontal cortex, quickly becomes overwhelmed by the limbic system or “emotional part” of the brain. This is an evolutionary advantage that helps the body react immediately to imminent threats.

It seems like judges, with their black robes and high benches, who think they are the almighty God of the courtroom cannot tolerate breaches of decorum and take out their anger on these defendants. (They really bratty hate kids too) I used to work with "bad kids" before who had trauma. In many of these videos the judge makes no attempt to de-escalate the defendants, they just keep attacking, and well "judging" so that the defendants, who are not rational, often are not educated, and are acting upon behaviors they were taught in the school of hard knocks, get more and more charges placed on them. Maybe outside of that stressful environment, when they're not triggered, they can behave. There are judgements of "competency" but those judgements are more about maintaining the appearance of legitimacy for state power and state violence. I don't care what a competency hearing says, this guy is nuts. The process here wasn't fair.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It most certainly isn't a fair. But it's probably a dilemma of sorts, too. We ultimately wish to encourage deference and cordiality in the court room and we tend to reward it, lot of the time, with lesser sentences and even various mitigations or suspensions of punishments.

I'm not saying that it is the right thing to hit the hammer on these people when they act out, but we should still somehow encourage the court process to be a place where the defendant does act properly. Ideally the judge would be able to de-escalate and recognize that the defendant is either being A: an rear end in a top hat, or B: not fully responsible for their actions, and act accordingly.

Like we don't, in the ideal world, want to have regular people throw absolute poo poo fits and lash out at cops either, but we also don't want to penalize those who can't control their actions, or are not fully in control of their emotions due to circumstance or traumatic event or something.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
It's always funny when it's the other way, like a police officer lying under oath, the DA treats it as no big deal like here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/xmtrgy/judge_justifiably_freaks_out_at_overzealous/

Listen to the prosecutor get upset over the mere idea that the police officer be help accountable for their "mistake".

It definitely is not a balanced situation.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

This is more investigation into the Coffee City, Tx police force (pop 250, with 50 cops) who routinely hired cops who had been fired multiple times from previous forces.
One of the cops in this report had supplied internal documents to a cop who did not have an active license at the time though he had previously served at 22 Police Depts over 30y.
This report on 'Wandering officers' highlights the problem Police Depts and Unions not really being regulated as well as they should be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUPv_eQDnSk

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Why would a town of 250 have their own PD? drat near every town I’ve seen with less than 1500 people contracts with the county sheriff.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

cat botherer posted:

Why would a town of 250 have their own PD? drat near every town I’ve seen with less than 1500 people contracts with the county sheriff.

In my experience it usually involves having a highway through town to serve as a revenue source, but this is a few steps of weird past that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

cat botherer posted:

Natural-formed cesspit? I honestly don't know why a town would have 1/5th of its population as cops if they weren't just a congregation of the absolute worst of the worst.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

For that specific town, It was partially pulling money from tickets and they worked part time (most of the time) as bounty hunters or something of the like but needed a cop license to make it legal.

e: yeah, looking at my previous post about it on the last page they made $150 a pop tracking people down.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 6, 2024

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Was that the town where the chief was hiring all the psychos who got fired elsewhere?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

PerniciousKnid posted:

Was that the town where the chief was hiring all the psychos who got fired elsewhere?

Yes, Coffee City.
This channels investigation got them shut down though and 7 cops so far have been indicted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oFIdzL9DOU

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

quote:

https://www.complex.com/life/a/brad-callas/215-bodies-buried-missippi-jail-investigation

215 Bodies Found in Unmarked Graves Behind Mississippi Jail, Ben Crump Calls For Investigation

Even better, the way the bodies were discovered was because the police struck and killed a man, knew who the man's family was, and tried to cover up the manslaughter they committed by burying him in this mass grave and never telling the family about it. It seems this is a regular occurrence, even standard operating procedure.

https://www.blackenterprise.com/215-bodies-found-mississippi-jail/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Zoeb posted:

Even better, the way the bodies were discovered was because the police struck and killed a man, knew who the man's family was, and tried to cover up the manslaughter they committed by burying him in this mass grave and never telling the family about it. It seems this is a regular occurrence, even standard operating procedure.

https://www.blackenterprise.com/215-bodies-found-mississippi-jail/

So the cops told the people dealing with this bullshit that they would be exhuming the bodies at noon, and then dug them up and moved them at 6am so they wouldnt be caught on cameras and made to look bad.
This is 1800s Sundown town level of bullshit, though there were white people buried there also.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Honestly you should need a minimum population size to have your own municipal government (at least the kind with the authority to do things like have a police force) in general.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We organise police forces at the state level. There is exactly one police force per state*. This has two major advantages
1) Everyone is overseen by someone. You might be the highest ranking officer in (town) but you still have a boss, who has a boss etc up to the Commissioner, who reports to the Police Minister, who reports to the Premier.
2) All fines etc are administered at the state level. Doesn’t matter how many or how few notices you hand out, your specific local station doesn’t get to keep any of it.

* plus the Federal Police, but they barely exist

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

The Lone Badger posted:

We organise police forces at the state level. There is exactly one police force per state*. This has two major advantages
1) Everyone is overseen by someone. You might be the highest ranking officer in (town) but you still have a boss, who has a boss etc up to the Commissioner, who reports to the Police Minister, who reports to the Premier.
2) All fines etc are administered at the state level. Doesn’t matter how many or how few notices you hand out, your specific local station doesn’t get to keep any of it.

Every police force should have one police squad.

https://youtu.be/23enI8zO4xU?si=4SFLf9dLtmtA2Jq2

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Everyone works part time as Cops, there is exactly one gun and it gets passed to the next person after you work your shift.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Imagine the town my wife is from in the Deep South.

3500 residents, huge geographical footprint, but the downtown is tiny.

50 cops. FIFTY.

These cops answer to the police chief. Who answers to the mayor. They're mostly related and deep within the power structure.

That's it! There's no higher authority, there's no one to appeal to or complain to. Anyone you could complain about the cops to knows all the cops and likes them. There's essentially no remedy, because even if the cop does something illegal, who will prosecute? No one.

It certainly isn't the end-all solution, but lot of America's issues are the fact that due to law enforcement being a local municipal issue, there's no higher authority to go to who isn't already in bed with the local cops. It's already somewhat better with the State Police where the person who will ultimately decide what to do with a lovely cop does not know who the cop is, does not answer to anyone near the cop, and probably lives 500 miles away.

011524_3
Jan 16, 2024
"I'm gonna take you and hold in my dungeon for a period of time"

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/rcna134062

Cops raid wrong house sort of, flashbang blindly, possibly hitting baby.
The person they were looking for was the previous tenant.

"The mayor of Elyria, Ohio, has ordered an investigation after a woman alleged that police officers who raided her home had the wrong address and deployed flash-bang devices that sent her 1-year-old to the hospital with burns.

Police have offered a conflicting account of what happened Jan. 10, saying in a statement Friday that they had executed a search warrant at the correct address and that the child did not "sustain any apparent, visible injuries."

Courtney Price says audio from her Ring camera proves otherwise. In a clip shared exclusively with NBC News on Tuesday, someone can be heard saying, "It's the wrong house." It is not clear who made the remark because the camera fell to the ground and went dark after police deployed the flash-bang devices."

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

OgNar posted:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/rcna134062

Cops raid wrong house sort of, flashbang blindly, possibly hitting baby.
The person they were looking for was the previous tenant.

"The mayor of Elyria, Ohio, has ordered an investigation after a woman alleged that police officers who raided her home had the wrong address and deployed flash-bang devices that sent her 1-year-old to the hospital with burns.

Police have offered a conflicting account of what happened Jan. 10, saying in a statement Friday that they had executed a search warrant at the correct address and that the child did not "sustain any apparent, visible injuries."

Courtney Price says audio from her Ring camera proves otherwise. In a clip shared exclusively with NBC News on Tuesday, someone can be heard saying, "It's the wrong house." It is not clear who made the remark because the camera fell to the ground and went dark after police deployed the flash-bang devices."

:wtc::bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

011724_2
Jan 18, 2024
Non-reflective super-cops for the guy charging $5 a post