Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

CelestialScribe posted:

This is a really weird protest. Cops are involved in noise complaints in a huge number of places. I shouldn't have to point out to you that not every city is like New York.

In a model where police hand those responsibilities over to another discipline, this situation is easily solved: they approach the neighbours instead of the cops.

Under a community policing model, what does that look like? How do you approach a neighbour who says, "gently caress you, I'm not turning it down?" in that type of model?

This is the type of question anyone will ask if they are curious/concerned by easily swayed into police abolition. It's not out really disingenuous to ask this sort of question, and if you think that's the case, then you're going to get absolutely nowhere in convincing people that this is the right thing to do. Every time they ask, "so what do I do if..." and you reply, "gently caress you, that's why", then they're not really going to listen to anything you have to say.

Can you any specific cities that rely on police officers to fake care of noise complaints? I’m actually interested in this, and it seems like you think cops actually do some work to solve community problems, which is once again a laughable proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Noise complaints are dealt with by cops in my city too.

A lot of times the agencies who’s job it is to deal with things like noise, animal control, child welfare know that they’re going to be met with hostility and either abdicate their responsibility or bring the cops with them automatically increasing tension.

UnknownTarget posted:

Blaziken386 posted this in another thread:

I would just add guaranteed healthcare/housing/food to this.

All those things are potentially positive but will need significant money and people. But if you took the entire police budget and used it for social workers alone it probably still wouldn’t be enough.

I think the calls to defund the police are just to punish them. The idea that that’s the only place the money can be found for social development is just back-rationalising.

If an actually fair, working, progressive tax system is out of reach then divert money from the military budget to all of those new agencies listed above.

And if you think both those options are fantasy what are the chances of any of desperately needed changes to law enforcement taking place let alone radical ‘abolition’

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747
https://mobile.twitter.com/zellieim...1587%23lastpost

Hm yes, this is fine.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

COVID-19 posted:

Can you any specific cities that rely on police officers to fake care of noise complaints? I’m actually interested in this, and it seems like you think cops actually do some work to solve community problems, which is once again a laughable proposition.

I can only speak from personal experience, but I know it’s been done in Denver.

I don’t particularly understand why this is a surprising proposition to you?

I mean, forget noise complaints if that really bothers you. I can think of examples where people get into an altercation and it turns violent.

Under a model where police pass responsibilities to other departments, this is clear cut: they address the issue. A social worker might be there, certainly anyone would be unarmed, etc.

Under a community policing model, I don’t see that situation ending well in a large number of communities. Does a complete abolition future contain explanations for how to solve that?

I understand your inclination will be to say “it’s better than the current system so gently caress you”, but considering this forum is for you know, discussing and debating, I’d be interested in a substantial answer.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

CelestialScribe posted:

I can only speak from personal experience, but I know it’s been done in Denver.

I don’t particularly understand why this is a surprising proposition to you?

I mean, forget noise complaints if that really bothers you. I can think of examples where people get into an altercation and it turns violent.

Under a model where police pass responsibilities to other departments, this is clear cut: they address the issue. A social worker might be there, certainly anyone would be unarmed, etc.

Under a community policing model, I don’t see that situation ending well in a large number of communities. Does a complete abolition future contain explanations for how to solve that?

I understand your inclination will be to say “it’s better than the current system so gently caress you”, but considering this forum is for you know, discussing and debating, I’d be interested in a substantial answer.

Have you read the thread? I made a post about this in the first page. Yes, of course many people have imagined and theorized what a community without racist corrupt police would look like.

Guys like these shouldn’t be allowed unlimited power and weapons.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/paterson-press/2019/03/29/all-6-accused-paterson-nj-cops-came-police-academy-class-2014/3310822002/

COVID-19 fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 7, 2020

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
Celestial Scribe what do you think community policing means?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Crumbskull posted:

Celestial Scribe what do you think community policing means?

Based on the discussion I’ve read and the literature I’ve read, I think community policing falls into two buckets or explanations:

1. An authorised system whereby current police functions are divided into different departments or governmental authorities.

2. A more anarchist structure whereby communities are given direct control over how to handle these situations with no external support from dedicated agencies.

The first is easy for me to imagine and I’d support. The second I find harder to understand or imagine.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo that suicidal man that those cops filmed themselves brutally beating actually ended up killing himself.

Another great example of the outcomes of the system CelestialScribe espouses.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...ead/2775587001/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

COVID-19 posted:

Holy poo poo that suicidal man that those cops filmed themselves brutally beating actually ended up killing himself.

I have repeatedly, repeatedly made comments in support of police abolition and providing different departments and agencies with the authority to do more.

Mods, how is this allowed? We’re just allowed to misconstrue others positions and outright lie about them?

My precious post literally contains support from me for abolishing police. At this point you’re just refusing to engage because I don’t know, you’re angry or something.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

CelestialScribe posted:

Based on the discussion I’ve read and the literature I’ve read, I think community policing falls into two buckets or explanations:

1. An authorised system whereby current police functions are divided into different departments or governmental authorities.

2. A more anarchist structure whereby communities are given direct control over how to handle these situations with no external support from dedicated agencies.

The first is easy for me to imagine and I’d support. The second I find harder to understand or imagine.

Its difficult to imagine the second scenario because the outcome would definitionally be a product of the specfic community in question with its attendant blend of culture, values, needs and wanta etc. You asking an unanswerable question. But if I had to guess I figure most of the community would arrive at something that looked a lot like the first option, and I also believe that they would be able to come up with an appropriate response to neighbors playing their music too loud that didn't involve threatening them with violence or imprisoning them.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

CelestialScribe posted:

I have repeatedly, repeatedly made comments in support of police abolition and providing different departments and agencies with the authority to do more.

Mods, how is this allowed? We’re just allowed to misconstrue others positions and outright lie about them?

My precious post literally contains support from me for abolishing police. At this point you’re just refusing to engage because I don’t know, you’re angry or something.

Huh? I lust have misunderstood your posts then, because it sounds like you’re weary of a system that lacks agencies with authority to enforce laws and regulations.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Crumbskull posted:

Its difficult to imagine the second scenario because the outcome would definitionally be a product of the specfic community in question with its attendant blend of culture, values, needs and wanta etc. You asking an unanswerable question. But if I had to guess I figure most of the community would arrive at something that looked a lot like the first option, and I also believe that they would be able to come up with an appropriate response to neighbors playing their music too loud that didn't involve threatening them with violence or imprisoning them.

I believe a lot of communities would. I also believe some communities would end up killing each other.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

CelestialScribe posted:

I believe a lot of communities would. I also believe some communities would end up killing each other.

Cool man.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

CelestialScribe posted:

:chloe: it’s really quite telling that you think white people aren’t already doing this to everyone else with the help of the police and military.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

COVID-19 posted:

Huh? I lust have misunderstood your posts then, because it sounds like you’re weary of a system that lacks agencies with authority to enforce laws and regulations.

I want to distribute police responsibilities to other agencies who could deal with most situations in better ways. Eg social workers, unarmed response, etc. how is that supporting the status quo in any shape or form?

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

CelestialScribe posted:

I want to distribute police responsibilities to other agencies who could deal with most situations in better ways. Eg social workers, unarmed response, etc. how is that supporting the status quo in any shape or form?

Cool, you want to abolish the police and you can imagine a scenario where local democracy becomes genocide. Established.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

CelestialScribe posted:

“Police responsibilities” are simply oppressing PoC and poor people, shifting these responsibilities to other departments with different names and uniforms are still going to end up with a racist system and oppressed people.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Crumbskull posted:

Cool, you want to abolish the police and you can imagine a scenario where local democracy becomes genocide. Established.

Can you think of any examples where local communities enforce their own rules and punishments? Because I can.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm in favor of replacing the police, but "cops don't currently deal with noise complaints" is a loving insane thing to post. My brother was setting off homemade firecrackers in my backyard a few years ago and then an hour later a county cop showed up to yell as us for it. So yeah, there are absolutely places where they do that (but they shouldn't)

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

COVID-19 posted:

“Police responsibilities” are simply oppressing PoC and poor people, shifting these responsibilities to other departments with different names and uniforms are still going to end up with a racist system and oppressed people.

Is there any situation you can imagine where that isn’t the case? Or is decentralised community policing the only realistic scenario you see?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

COVID-19 posted:

:chloe: it’s really quite telling that you think white people aren’t already doing this to everyone else with the help of the police and military.

i dont think anyone including you are reading CS' posts which makes it really weird that youre all responding to him

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Saagonsa posted:

I'm in favor of replacing the police, but "cops don't currently deal with noise complaints" is a loving insane thing to post. My brother was setting off homemade firecrackers in my backyard a few years ago and then an hour later a county cop showed up to yell as us for it. So yeah, there are absolutely places where they do that (but they shouldn't)

Fair enough, I envision “noise complaints” being noise from apartments nearby and not fireworks/explosives though.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

COVID-19 posted:

Fair enough, I envision “noise complaints” being noise from apartments nearby and not fireworks/explosives though.

there's more than one reason for a noise complaint its not all just like "my upstairs neighbour is walking around with loud shoes"

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

COVID-19 posted:

I know in my neighbourhood, a lot of complaints come from locals doing burnouts and street racing etc.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

CelestialScribe posted:

Is there any situation you can imagine where that isn’t the case? Or is decentralised community policing the only realistic scenario you see?

I think addressing the root causes of systemic issues would go a lot further than simply dealing with the outcomes of those societal problems. For instance, instead of having a uniformed agency deal with homeless people having psychotic episodes in a public area, we should give people homes and free psychiatric help.

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Verviticus posted:

there's more than one reason for a noise complaint its not all just like "my upstairs neighbour is walking around with loud shoes"

Right, which is why I said “fair enough”, after I realized my previous statement wasn’t accurate.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

I imagine in a lot of places the only reason it’s the cops is because whoever deals with local ordinance noise complaints clocked off at 5 and at 10pm when someone complains your options are cops or...

COVID-19 posted:

I think addressing the root causes of systemic issues would go a lot further than simply dealing with the outcomes of those societal problems. For instance, instead of having a uniformed agency deal with homeless people having psychotic episodes in a public area, we should give people homes and free psychiatric help.
This is true. But the question I think we should be asking is: why is it being left to the police to deal with? Why are police guarding a suicidal man in the first place, what makes that their responsibility and not the hospitals? There are deep social issues that need addressed like drug use, mental health, child welfare, access to opportunity. They’re all broken and need absolutely fixed independently of any police reform.

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 7, 2020

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

COVID-19 posted:

I 100% agree. Unfortunately it won’t solve all needs for some type of response.

For instance, I don’t particularly see community justice would work in the case of a murder. Let’s say one takes place - do we feel comfortable leaving each individual community to respond in the way they feel is appropriate? Feels way too close to libertarianism.

CelestialScribe fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 7, 2020

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Can you think of any examples where local communities enforce their own rules and punishments? Because I can.

Buddy, I'm aware of WHOLE COUNTRIES that do this.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

CelestialScribe posted:

I don’t know if you’ve ever implemented major process changes but people tend to get pissed off if they aren’t consulted and aren’t part of a process.

Have you? I actually work in Government for the largest County in my state and I work with State, Federal and Local partners for more than a decade now. If you think that public consultation is a barrier to Government's doing sweeping changes you have absolutely no clue how Government works. There are varying levels of how we even go about consulting the public for changes to policy, plans or funding and a large amount of changes we do take almost no public comment or discourse. Also, at the highest levels politicians make decisions, not the public. If you disagree with your Mayor or Governor, Senator or President you really don't have much recourse for their decisions as far as governance unless you sue them or vote them out. Public officials make decisions against the public's "will" all the time.

However, large amounts of public pressure can force these politicians to enact sweeping changes, because at the end of the day politicians want to retain the power and money that come with their position. Most council persons, mayors, county executives (or equivalent), congresspeople and a large amount of governors do not have term limits, and can be pulled towards the public's will.

CelestialScribe posted:

What you hear me saying is “abolition won’t work because too many people disagree with it”.

What I’m actually saying is “you will have broader support for abolition if you articulate how some existing processes will work in a community where police are abolished”.

You're saying both , fyi but abolition's support is only going up. I've been to four rallies thusfar and I'm not sure I've ever seen any movement get bigger at this magnitude per rally; of course i'm not conducting a poll about who believes in abolition vs reform but if I had to take an educated guess, a good number would be for getting rid of the police as they currently exist and that's abolition enough for me. This is further supported by the fact that it's the top story on the front page of CNN and a bunch of other publications (NYT, NYPost, LA times to name a few) have the issue of abolition as one of their current top stories. For Black people, we know that moving towards abolition is really the only solution that will improve our lives and chances for literal survival so we are going to work hard towards that. I can't speak for any other group's motives but the support is broad across a bunch of demographics if what is happening outside is indicative of anything.

CelestialScribe posted:

For instance, take my example of a noise complaint. How is that dealt with in a situation with no police? If someone doesn’t feel safe confronting another in person, who do they call? What happens if the confrontation turns violent?

These aren’t ridiculous scenarios to address, and the failure to do so in favour of “gently caress it and figure it out later” is just not going to win abolition broad support. Better to spend the time articulating what the society will look like as much as you reasonably can. That will bring more people on board - and the more people you have who feel they have been consulted, the more successful police abolition would be.

The first part has been explained already by other posters so i'll avoid it but I'm just going to disagree that abolition won't win broad support but honestly it doesn't even matter if it does or doesn't. You don't think so but a whole bunch of social changes had have to be dragged along before public support. Civil rights ALSO wasn't popular in it's time so should we have not kept on going with that too? JFK and RFK were not going to move forward with Civil Rights law until Jerome Smith told them in very simple terms - "then get ready for war against black people". If it wasn't for Black Anger, we wouldn't have Civil Rights, period. From there, what JFK and RFK did were against sweeping public opinion. It wasn't about waiting then, it's not about waiting now. It's existence or non existence.

Abolition != complete lawlessness and nothing in place to deal with laws, it's completely dissolving what exists currently and spreading some of the responsibilities that the Police already shouldn't have and then the functions in which an armed force are required can remain but for a completely new and different and much smaller entity. The current manifestation of the police has no hope of reform, you aren't going to magically handwave white supremacy away, it's what America is built upon, you aren't taking away the power of police unions, and the law is NOT on the public's side. As I've stated before the Police are reinforced by law to not have to protect and serve - The Supreme Court has already affirmed that the police have NO constitutional duty to protect you from ANY harm, so in reality, it doesn't even serve the function that anyone would like them to. It has to go.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 7, 2020

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

COVID-19 posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Are we sure the police didn’t murder him as retribution for convicting those bastard cops who assaulted him in the hospital?

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
Cops are trained to be literal sociopaths - this motherfucker even tells them to ignore being filmed by the media and bystanders, explicitly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETf7NJOMS6Y

It is some disturbing poo poo.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
A comment I read elsewhere that I think is quite apt is that the police aren't just acting like an occupying army, they're distinctly acting like a military that is demoralized, frightened and believes the population stands behind it.

The Intercept posted:

We Crunched the Numbers: Police — Not Protesters — Are Overwhelmingly Responsible for Attacking Journalists

Trevor Timm

June 4 2020, 4:00 p.m.

WE ARE WITNESSING a truly unprecedented attack on press freedom in the United States, with journalists are being systematically targeted while covering the nationwide protests over the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police.

The scale of the attacks is so large, it can be hard to fathom. At the U.S. Press Freedom Tracker, a project of Freedom of the Press Foundation and the Committee to Protect Journalists, we catalogued 150 press freedom violations in the United States in all of 2019. We are currently investigating 280 from just the last week.

The crisis has rightly generated international outrage. Some have pushed a narrative — fueled by commonly used phrases like “journalists are being attacked by police and protesters alike” — that police and protesters are attacking journalists at relatively equal rates.

Our data shows this is incorrect. Police are responsible for the vast majority of assaults on journalists: over 80 percent.

At the Tracker, we document violence against journalists from all perpetrators, whether it comes from the police, protesters, or bat-wielding racist vigilantes (yes, that really happened). And the data could not be more clear.

Here is a breakdown of our preliminary numbers, as of the morning of June 4:

https://twitter.com/uspresstracker/...oyd-protests%2F

As you can see, out of the 180 assaults we are investigating, 149 of them have been by police. That’s almost 83 percent. (This number also does not include police arresting journalists, which have occurred at least another 45 times.)

We further break down the Tracker’s “assaults” category into several subcategories. For our tracking purposes, “assaults” can mean physical attacks, but also tear-gassing, pepper-spraying, or being fired upon with rubber bullets and other projectiles.

Even if you remove all the times police have purposefully fired on and seriously injured journalists with their extremely dangerous “crowd control” weapons, the police have physically assaulted journalists at a greater rate as well. Out of the 67 physical assaults, 42 have been by police. Further, some of the assaults from private citizens have not come from protesters either. For example, WHYY reporter Jon Ehrens was beaten up by what appears to be police-aligned white nationalists in Philadelphia.

MANY OF THE ATTACKS by police have been targeted. There are now literally dozens of videos showing journalists — sometimes live on national television — with cameras, microphones, and press badges, clearly indicating to police they are with the media, only to find officers purposefully firing dangerous projectiles at them anyway.

Listen to this harrowing NPR segment in which multiple journalists — one of them even in tears — describe the terrifying scenarios they have found themselves in as police have turned on them. As Los Angeles Times reporter Molly Hennessy-Fiske puts it, “We were not caught in the crossfire. They pursued us. And they knew that we were reporters and photographers.”

Just last night, journalist Amin Rosen described riding his bicycle and being assaulted by a New York Police Department officer with a baton. The police then stole his bike, refused to identify themselves, and, when Rosen asked how he could get it back, they reportedly responded, “It’s not your bike anymore.” Rosen was wearing a helmet with a large “PRESS” sign on it the whole time.

https://twitter.com/ArminRosen/stat...oyd-protests%2F

There’s no doubt there have been several serious physical assaults directed at journalists from a small subset of people attending protests. And private citizens have broken cameras and damaged newsroom facilities as well (14 incidents at the police’s hands, and 26 by others).

At Freedom of the Press Foundation, we forcefully condemn all acts of violence on journalists and urge anyone on the streets to respect their rights. (It should also be noted many protesters have helped journalists to safety as well).

However, when reporting on violence against journalists this fact bears repeating: The police are violently attacking journalists at a rate greater than 4 to 1 when compared with private citizens. Given the out-of-control militarization of police we have seen over the past two decades, and government’s threats to increase its crackdown, that is especially terrifying. And if police departments are not held quickly accountable by state governments, it will only get worse.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
This may be a feeble attempt to articulate popular rage but I think what policymakers are going to need to understand very quickly is that whatever social ills might arise from rapid measures of reform, they are immensely preferable to a current system wherein the state regularly murders people of color.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Prime example why reforming is drat near impossible

https://twitter.com/mdoukmas/status/1269241232200531968

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The noise complaint issue brought to mind something I've been thinking about with regards to the abolition of police over the past few days. Part of the reason some people feel uncomfortable about the abolition of police is that we're trained to think of police as the only form of lawful authority, but if you stop and think about it, that's not really the case. There are tons of industries which have laws that regulate them, and enforcement is done by government agencies and not uniformed assholes with guns and handcuffs. The burden of dealing with armed police officers for even minor crimes is placed on the less-privileged exclusively, even though the sorts of laws enforced by government agencies like the FAA or the USDA can often have huge, huge public safety implications.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
I guess burning down a police station worked

https://twitter.com/ACLUMN/status/1269738051498106880?s=20

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Yuzenn posted:

Have you? I actually work in Government for the largest County in my state and I work with State, Federal and Local partners for more than a decade now. If you think that public consultation is a barrier to Government's doing sweeping changes you have absolutely no clue how Government works. There are varying levels of how we even go about consulting the public for changes to policy, plans or funding and a large amount of changes we do take almost no public comment or discourse. Also, at the highest levels politicians make decisions, not the public. If you disagree with your Mayor or Governor, Senator or President you really don't have much recourse for their decisions as far as governance unless you sue them or vote them out. Public officials make decisions against the public's "will" all the time.

However, large amounts of public pressure can force these politicians to enact sweeping changes, because at the end of the day politicians want to retain the power and money that come with their position. Most council persons, mayors, county executives (or equivalent), congresspeople and a large amount of governors do not have term limits, and can be pulled towards the public's will.
What is required for an agency to enact changes varies from state to state - in my state, unless specifically called out by statute, all state regulations besides typo-fixing require a 45-day public comment period and the comments have to be satisfactorily responded to, and a completely separate agency "checks the work". If you want to require a form that looks a certain way to get your driver's license you have to go to public comment. If you want a question added to that form you have to go to public comment. The basis for this is that it creates a more transparent and democratic process where the public gets a chance to have their say. Some counties and cities have similar processes, again, it varies. The general thought, although I can certainly think of times I would have preferred not have dealt with it, is that this is overall a benefit - the public feels heard and gets buy-in, and the people writing the laws get different perspectives and are forced to address errors or mistakes or things they may not have considered. Legislators still exist, but they tend to create things more along the lines of commands, rather than specifics (although sometimes they do) - this is also considered ideal because legislators are not experts in most things, while the delegated agency is (or should be).

So you could get a state legislature to say "no more cops by 2021" but they are going to hand the responsibility of what that actually looks like and all the myriad rules and regulations and sub-agencies and whatever off to the state's DOJ, and that DOJ may, depending on the state, have to answer a lot of really hard questions from the public and do so satisfactorily, and some of that may require admitting that harm will increase a little in some areas while decreasing a lot in others.

quote:

The noise complaint issue brought to mind something I've been thinking about with regards to the abolition of police over the past few days. Part of the reason some people feel uncomfortable about the abolition of police is that we're trained to think of police as the only form of lawful authority, but if you stop and think about it, that's not really the case. There are tons of industries which have laws that regulate them, and enforcement is done by government agencies and not uniformed assholes with guns and handcuffs. The burden of dealing with armed police officers for even minor crimes is placed on the less-privileged exclusively, even though the sorts of laws enforced by government agencies like the FAA or the USDA can often have huge, huge public safety implications.
Inherent to all of those regulatory bodies is that if the regulated decide to ignore the fines/legal penalties/etc then at some point they will have to figure out how to ignore a gun wielded by something generally thought of as a "cop". Or if that they threaten or point a weapon of any sort at a regulator then the regulator will come back with a "cop" as a bodyguard and that "cop" will be armed. Obviously the number of armed guys needed is way, way lower than the current Swiss Army Knife approach that regional police use but it's more than zero (like, it can be one (1)).

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Zachack posted:

What is required for an agency to enact changes varies from state to state - in my state, unless specifically called out by statute, all state regulations besides typo-fixing require a 45-day public comment period and the comments have to be satisfactorily responded to, and a completely separate agency "checks the work". If you want to require a form that looks a certain way to get your driver's license you have to go to public comment. If you want a question added to that form you have to go to public comment. The basis for this is that it creates a more transparent and democratic process where the public gets a chance to have their say. Some counties and cities have similar processes, again, it varies. The general thought, although I can certainly think of times I would have preferred not have dealt with it, is that this is overall a benefit - the public feels heard and gets buy-in, and the people writing the laws get different perspectives and are forced to address errors or mistakes or things they may not have considered. Legislators still exist, but they tend to create things more along the lines of commands, rather than specifics (although sometimes they do) - this is also considered ideal because legislators are not experts in most things, while the delegated agency is (or should be).

Public comment for any of our FEDERAL projects require posting in our biggest publication (Star Ledger), and a 30 day public comment period. That is for any introductions of plans, funding recommendations or substantial amendments, anything that is below that threshold requires only a week long public comment period. In my experience around a dozen people actually show up to public hearings that were actual members of the public (our participating towns and agencies show up in solidarity and support most times) and I can't even remember the last time my boss had to respond to a public comment (since all comments have to be done in writing and recorded). I've seen less than 5 OPRA requests come to my office, and I've handled easily over 50 million dollars in projects of all types. This includes the Stimulus funds that we got from the 2008 downturn.

My point is that this a speed bump, not a road block to changes. For the most part the public does not get involved in projects, and the entire process is somewhat archaic (who reads newspapers?). In the past couple of years we also post our plans and stuff on our website but also who just peruses County websites?

The public largely does not know what their Government is doing or spending money on and it's not for the lack of it being disclosed, it's that the public does not engage with government much at all. This is extremely amplified at the local level, where unless you live in a HUGE city your town hall meetings probably have a handful of people who attend outside of the occasional thing that gets the public pissed. A lot of times, the council and mayor will just do that thing that pissed off the constituents anyway, regardless of how contentious or angry people get at meetings. In the largest City in the state (Newark) their public comment can go literally hours and if you asked any resident of the City, their voices are never truly heard, just recorded to meet OPRA requirements.

I agree on the benefit, I just wish that the public actually participated and that more of the planning could involve input.

Zachack posted:

So you could get a state legislature to say "no more cops by 2021" but they are going to hand the responsibility of what that actually looks like and all the myriad rules and regulations and sub-agencies and whatever off to the state's DOJ, and that DOJ may, depending on the state, have to answer a lot of really hard questions from the public and do so satisfactorily, and some of that may require admitting that harm will increase a little in some areas while decreasing a lot in others.

Oh I know this and I never said this was going to be easy, i'm just in the camp of that it's necessary. There are a whole lot of smart people out there and getting together all of these things can be done, even if there are hiccups along the way. As long as the idea is that this "force" is for the purposing of protecting and serving it will be infinitely better than what we currently have.

*As we speak, Minneapolis is disbanding their police force so I guess this the discussion is going to shift more about what happens after you defund and disband police forces rather than should you do those things.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

holy poo poo actual good news

though I'm looking forward to the Union winning an unfair labor practices lawsuit