Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

In 99% of crimes sure but if it really is an active shooter, no.

There are obviously gun control measures and rolling back policies that lead to a sufficient amount of social alienation for these to be common that would also address the root issues here but banning easy access to semi auto firearms and putting in a real social safety net and healthcare system while undoing gig economy capitalism are even more unlikely than police reform.
Letting randos run into an active shooter situation seems like one of the worst ideas.

It's just the cops being complete assclowns in this instance that makese it seem like the better option.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Whether the cops should have gone in immediately to eliminate the shooter is an open question - I have no idea how well trained Uvalde cops are, and they could all be glorified parking enforcement for all I know. But your average beat cop could have gone in to clear other classrooms and get students to safety if they didn't trust their own shooting in that situation.

That said, Uvalde also has a SWAT team they love to publicize, and that recently underwent active shooter training. Where the gently caress were they?

The core of it is that sitting outside and waiting for someone else to solve the problem is insufficient. And when your job revolves around public trust, they couldn't have found a more effective way to eliminate that on a national scale.
Going in immediately is the textbook thing to do. Plus they were specifically bragging about doing school shooting trainings so one would assume they know that.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I think the problem here is that mass shootings have a very different calculus especially when they involve children. All the rules of thumb about "just let the thief take what he wants" doesn't work out when what the "thief" wants is murder.

For example, bystanders charging into danger is exactly what ended the rampage in Uvalde. A bunch of bystanders armed worse than the police snuck their way past the cops and took out the shooter.
The bystanders were CBP agents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I would assume that was a comedy skit if I didn’t have context