Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

For people who don't think abolition is workable, what then? We've tried reforms, and they don't work, so what's your plan? And please, be specific.

I nominate my grandmother for head of the replacement-FBI and my mother can have the nuCIA. If that plan is bad, maybe disband them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

enki42 posted:

Of course, there's a good argument that the police aren't really doing a great job, or much of a job at all, in dealing with a lot of the above items (with the obvious exceptions of things like child abductions if you're relatively well off and white), but that's an argument for trying to better, not to throw up our hands and call them unsolvable problems.

Abolishing the police and moving away from capitalism is doing better. Saying these are too much is throwing your hands up in defeat. So, uh

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

enki42 posted:

How? I don't see a good argument for those being reduced, but I'm willing to listen.

Certainly things like homicides are partially explained by both police existing and capitalism, but some aren't (spousal homicide, school shootings, lots of things where poverty, class, or race aren't significant parts of a motive). The others, I'm genuinely not seeing how the presence of police changes how often these crimes occur.

First, establish that the police - or whatever you're thinking is necessary - need to exist. Based on whatever criteria you have, we might look for other schemes that might better serve those. If you're asking for good faith argument, then put up one for what you're arguing for.