Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't think anyone disagrees with this, but we shouldn't be banning House or Grey's Anatomy or whatever.

There are some unique factors to police shows there. Random citizens don't end up sitting on juries which determine how hospital patients should be treated. But they absolutely do end up on juries which a have to determine how much "reasonable doubt" is left by the results of a fingerprint or fiber analysis, whether the improbability of a witness's claim is outweighed by the witness being a cop and therefore reliable, or whether an officer who broke procedures should be punished as abusive or celebrated as willing to go the extra mile to get justice. That's before you even get to the race of the defendant or how trendy the crime is in current procedurals.

I'm not saying to ban anything or not, but people internalizing fictional depiction of law enforcement and the legal system has a very direct effect on people's lives via trial outcomes, in ways that other genres do not. It even has a chilling effect on cases which don't go to trial, since for example if the evidence against you would look slam-dunk in a CSI show even though it isn't, and if a jury would be more likely to convict because of it? That's going to make a plea bargain sound all the better, especially if you can't afford an attorney who can really drive the "TV isn't real" argument home for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

cat botherer posted:

Why would a town of 250 have their own PD? drat near every town I’ve seen with less than 1500 people contracts with the county sheriff.

In my experience it usually involves having a highway through town to serve as a revenue source, but this is a few steps of weird past that.