Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
The poo poo I saw at that SPOG march— the one where they blastballed and maced little kids— haunts me. We showed up, the kiddos started drawing on the street with chalk, the cops played “Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy” over the PA, and within sixty seconds they were beating people and chucking gas canisters right into the group of kids.

The kids had no gas masks— who makes Honeywells that small? One of the kids was in a stroller. They choked and screamed and puked and several of them called frantically for parents as the police flogged the crowd into a stampede with explosives and batons. I have no idea what happened to any of them.

I can’t loving stand it that the pigs who did this, laughing and cheering as they swung batons and tossed explosives, are still armed and protected and walking around our city refusing to get vaccinated. And the OPA says it was totally fine and keeps doubling down on its brazen lies.

Whew I’m mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Society in general? Probably. The same social circles that include their victims? Only if the victim actively wants to re-integrate them. Either way, reintegration needs to involve MAJOR accountability and transparency.

I have to coparent with the person who raped and otherwise SA’d me, and it absolutely fucks me up. We are on quite pleasant and civil terms, and our coparenting relationship is amicable, but every time I see him I want to throw up and/or have the intense urge to fawn and “make up” and pretend the awful last few years of our marriage never happened, all of which leave me struggling with major PTSD episodes for hours every week.

If he admitted his actions, including to our mutuals, and apologized to me and was able to express to me meaningfully how he’s changed, it wouldn’t be so bad. I would never want to hang out with him for fun, but it wouldn’t be so loving awful to see his face.

The thing is… rape perpetrators tend to be very good at lying, especially to themselves. It’s pretty rare for them to realize what fundamental hosed-up pattern of thought and behavior led them to the point of sexually assaulting someone. It’s safer to live in cognitive dissonance and deny that what they’re doing is rape. Mine truly seems to believe that I SA’d HIM by somehow psychologically manipulating him into [redacted], forcefully, and verbally abusing me throughout.

And reintegration depends on accountability! My ex talks a great game, he’s visibly “feminist” and “leftist” and “pro-queer,” and overall he’s a “great guy.” He’s just never once admitted that what he did to me was That. I even had to end a friendship with an afab person because they wanted to focus on “rehabilitating him” and “healing his attachment wounds.” (Yes, he was trying to gently caress them, and has been trying to since he and I were still married.)

In short: victims of SA/rape deserve to be safe from their perpetrators, and never see their loving faces again unless they specifically want to. Integrate them somewhere else and assume they’ll re-offend the minute they find a cognitive dissonance loophole that excuses it.

Find out how the victim feels about it, and go by what THEY say.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

Cop unions aren’t unions. They let the boss join. They’re guilds and should be illegal.