Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Hi, in the CSPAM thread I advocated a constitutional amendment for these four items:

1) Guaranteed housing.

2) Guaranteed food.

3) Guaranteed healthcare.

4) State agents must operate under civilian laws. If they must break a law during their duties then they must be tried by an impartial jury as to whether it was justified. If it is not then they are subject to the same punishment they would be if they were not in uniform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Blaziken386 posted this in another thread:

quote:

-Traffic Control: unarmed, deals with clearing car crashes from the road, speeding tickets*, the drunk tank, etc.
*related note: speeding tickets should be tied to your personal income, rather than the current system of "life ending for poors, negligible for the rich"
-Fire Department: we obviously already have this but it should be listed
-Social Workers/Counselors: unarmed, helps deal with domestic/child abuse, mental health crisis, suicide prevention, etc.
-Theft: unarmed, people in charge of who tracking down someone who stole your stuff and/or dealing with insurance people to make sure you're reimbursed
-General Peacekeeping: unarmed, on the lookout for situations where other departments are needed, trained to calm people down in a pinch. Should be largely sourced from the neighborhoods they work in, so they have some incentive to actually care about the people they're watching.
-Homicide Detectives: armed, but not nearly to the extent that they are now. No tear gas, no tanks, none of that poo poo. The only lethal weapon they get is a sidearm, and they need extensive disciplinary training to use it as a last resort. Body cams at all times - if a camera is "mysteriously" inactive at the time they use it, immediately fired & blacklisted from law enforcement. If someone dies when the camera's off, they're on the hook for murder. Ideally, should be the smallest group of the lot, and require shitloads of training.
-Nat. Guard: literally, a small portion of the national guard. We still have school shootings all the loving time, we do kinda need a department to deal with that. Protocols in place to disarm and replace the homicide department if they get out of hand. Separate from the police force.

otherwise, the budget that went to arming every department with tanks, explosives, tactical swat gear, and paying the cops ridiculously inflated salaries should be diverted to things like UBI and other social programs - when people aren't desperate for cash, they tend not to steal poo poo! what a concept. Should also be used to get people leaving prison back on their feet, rather than kicking them onto the street.

Prisons need so much revision it's not even funny, but here's a couple things I think would help:
-non violent offenders should be released with their records expunged.
-more councilors/therapists and less guards
-skills/job training in prison (I think one of the countries in the netherlands is like this? like, they have prisoners who look after cows and stuff.)
-companies can't buy prison labor. No more of this bullshit where wholefoods pays Prisoner #3542 $0.12 a day to farm tilapia for them. They can hire actual workers for fair wages, or they can eat poo poo.

I would just add guaranteed healthcare/housing/food to this.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

What it comes down to is "what happens when there's an active shooter or threat on my life". That's what gets people hung up. So I think any discussion of abolition should really lead with that to get doubters on board.