Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The copbusters stuff was a blast to watch. I remember seeing it as a kid with my parents and them saying the police who broke the law got no punishments at all, and the person who proved they were breaking the law had to leave the country after he was arrested for bullshit for the 100th time. One of hundreds of data points that formed my young worldview.

There was a recent video of a cop shooting at an empty car because he got scared (his partner told him to move because a light was going to fall on his car due to a car accident) which meant to unload at the car that had crashed into the pole. It was ruled a good shoot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Nahh, you can fix it. You add consequences. The people who control this won't, so the fixes are stymied. Saying you can't fix it lets the people who could do something off the hook.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Jaxyon posted:

No, it speaks to the fact that there isn't a way to fix this by adding consequences because the people control this won't. When people say "you can't fix this" they don't mean that it's impossible to fix if things were different, they're saying that making things different isn't viable while maintaining the current institution.

The people who control it won't fix it because of the current institution.

Yes if things were fixable, then we could fix this. Thanks for that.

Yeah, I don't mean to be flippant, it's just I see a lot of hand wrangling with "there are no solutions!" by people who could fix it mirroring other people saying the same thing.

Legislatively ending qualified immunity, creating federal offices who only job (and performance rated) is to prosecute police, creating specific additional statutes for police behaviors with consequences for breaking them instead of some "policy" with no teeth outside of maybe losing a job.

It really needs to start Federal, push to State, and have local convents flow from there. Right now there are twom many sherrifs who run their own fiefdoms and that is something that can be fixed. I mean Colorado is ending qualified immunity, it needs to be pushed.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
It's always funny when it's the other way, like a police officer lying under oath, the DA treats it as no big deal like here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/xmtrgy/judge_justifiably_freaks_out_at_overzealous/

Listen to the prosecutor get upset over the mere idea that the police officer be help accountable for their "mistake".

It definitely is not a balanced situation.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Attempted murder for thee but not for me. Couldn't even get them on a firearm infraction or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Also the expectation in Australia is that police officers have been professionally trained in de-escalation and dealing with stress. So if you lose your cool and punch some fellow in the face, that is worse than joe public that is not trained in the same way.

I love that it's basically the opposite in the US. And by love, I mean it probably needs to all burn down.