Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Seconded. Got me to boot up this game again...and, man...there's lots of fiddly bits that you forget where to find them. Never not make SHQ 100% logistics to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What kind of %s make sense for SHQ limits? I guess the limits are so one thing doesn't consume all logistics points.

Btw I asked in support forums about GPU acceleration. Someone said the game is made with Windows Forms. Then I realized the game's gpu memory requirement is 8MB. In 2021. That's why the game map is so goddamn slow.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

I mean, first to find SHQ logisitic limits you have to select the SHQ unit on the map, then use the "unit admin" button on the right (fiddly).

The way the limits work is if you set everything to 100%, it tries to satisfy each row in a top-down manner. That is, first it tries to fulfill all SHQ -> Zone logistics requests (SHQ resupplying other cities), then it tries to fulfill all SHQ -> Unit requests (barring replacement men, so mainly fuel/ammo), then it tries to fulfill all Zone -> SHQ logistic requests (other zones stockpiling in the SHQ), then finally it tries to fulfill all SHQ reserve -> unit (for replacement purposes) requests.

So...say you want to ensure that at least some of your units always get replacements: you'd set the logistic limit on "repl => unit" to 20%, right? Wrong. Since this is the last thing to use logistics, you're just setting an artificial cap on how many replacements can go out. I struggle to find a situation in which that might be useful, and the last row should basically always be 100%.

To ensure that at least some of your units always get replacements, you need to ensure the top three rows have a combined logistics limits less than 100%, to leave spare logistics capacity that can always be used for replacements. So 30 30 30 would leave 10% for replacements. But other thing that does is prevent your logistics from being used when you do have spare capacity: hence the "always set everything to 100%". If you're running into logistics issues where you don't have capacity, the solution is to build capacity, and if needed, temporarily halt unit attacks/movement down that logistics path until you've raised your capacity.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thank yuu for the good explanation. I'll try putting it to 100% and build more logistics if needed. I always forget to upgrade my railroad station until it is too late.

Anyways, how do you deal with corrupt leaders? I realized now it is a thing. I was wondering what hurts my people's happiness and it was a corrupt leader. She was siphoning off 95credits/turn while my income is 300 credits negative already! I did know what else to do so she accidentally leaned too hard on the balcony rail in her apartment. A sad, sad tragedy. She was otherwise a pretty good leader but loving up with my money and loving up with my population's happiness allowed no other solutions. My shadow guys' intimidate skill sucked so I couldn't even get the money back.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

I don't know if I have the most ideal personnel management solution, but...I try to find leaders that have high loyalty -> high natural relations score. Leaders with 'corruption' trait won't necessarily steal money until they're at a lower relation with you (something like below 70 relation?). Focusing on keeping good relations with your leaders above all else typically means that you might not have leaders with higher capabilities, though.

There are strategic cards in the 'leader' category that can help with corruption (or with relations)
'Oath of Loyalty', 'Happy Family' (relations boost), 'Medal of Merit' (instant relations boost))

Early game you're kind of stuck with whatever leaders you get, but 30-50 turns in, you should have enough strat cards to get extra leaders to start replacing some of the problem children.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

I did know what else to do so she accidentally leaned too hard on the balcony rail in her apartment. A sad, sad tragedy.

Definitely sad to hear (this is also an acceptable solution =) )

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Ihmemies posted:

Thank yuu for the good explanation. I'll try putting it to 100% and build more logistics if needed. I always forget to upgrade my railroad station until it is too late.

Anyways, how do you deal with corrupt leaders? I realized now it is a thing. I was wondering what hurts my people's happiness and it was a corrupt leader. She was siphoning off 95credits/turn while my income is 300 credits negative already! I did know what else to do so she accidentally leaned too hard on the balcony rail in her apartment. A sad, sad tragedy. She was otherwise a pretty good leader but loving up with my money and loving up with my population's happiness allowed no other solutions. My shadow guys' intimidate skill sucked so I couldn't even get the money back.

Every time a leader does something and fails they will get better at it on the next turn. If you know the pay off is a couple thousand credits, using interrogate or whatever the card is called a couple of times on people who's opinion doesn't matter can increase the skill. Then once it is high enough use it on the idiot with all the credits. After that send them over the balcony, which they obviously did themselfs because of their shame at being found out and not because they where pushed.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks. I need to train the relevant skills with some reserve pool "not so good" leaders next time. Then the same with retirement. It feels a bit evil to murder my own leaders, but retirement checks are so hard to achieve, while murder is easy....

Anyways, I won the 2nd game too. I think 2 majors is too few. You can easily kill 1 and then the other one can't do anything. Both maps had lakes too so plenty of infinite water.

I began a new game on desert map. Water should in theory be a larger issue now... so many water tech which doesn't matter at all when you produce 10-20k water/turn infinitely from lakes.

Map size is now Medium - large. So one step above the small - regular size. It has now 5 majors instead of 3, so I should have 4 enemies + minors. Two first games didn't really offer challenge, maybe this third one does! I did not feel threatened at all in any situation.

Now my 3rd game began between 2 minors and unaligned zones. I had some 3k non-aligned troops 1 hex away from my starting city. First minor wardecced me nearly instantly, 2nd after a while. So I have 2 wars going on before turn 10 and neutrals harassing me too, great. At least I have 2 ruins next to me so I can mine them for metal, and some event gave me a merc camp which gives free extra recruits every turn.

First thing I did was some independent MG companies to give me time to stock up resources. I also took model council first, and upgraded my riflemen to Carbines. The game always starts with carbines unlocked, but riflemen uses only muskets for some reason. Carbines give 50% increased firepower and a very good edge against enemies with worse weapons. I also invested my first fate point in Docile AI and the 2nd too. Riflemen aren't very good at killing stuff, but the murderbuts, well... they kill them a lot faster.

I had regular murderbots in my 2nd game with some gauss guns, they were really good against soft targets, or at least a lot better than infantry. Infantry doesn't kill the enemy infantry fast enough, it takes ages and so many attacks to thin down the ranks. Some firepower is needed and walkers provide it better I think. Maybe I should try buggies with some armor, are they any good? What is the fastest way to kill thousands of low tech infantry?

This 3rd game is going actually quite well despite 2 simultaneous wars. If I can conquer at least 1 city soon I should be all set, unless more enemies join the party.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 3, 2022

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ihmemies posted:

I had regular murderbots in my 2nd game with some gauss guns, they were really good against soft targets, or at least a lot better than infantry. Infantry doesn't kill the enemy infantry fast enough, it takes ages and so many attacks to thin down the ranks. Some firepower is needed and walkers provide it better I think. Maybe I should try buggies with some armor, are they any good? What is the fastest way to kill thousands of low tech infantry?

Light tanks with howitzer is probably your best bet. If your enemy has no AT weapon you can use minimal armor. Also you want to fight with your tanks a lot to train up their design score so lots of cheap tanks is good. All regime profiles also have easy access to blitzkrieg posture which gives massive attack and AP bonus, allowing you to encircle infantry formation easily.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks. I'll try some light tanks with howizers. Maybe I can discover tanks with model designs, no need to research anything even. Circling seems to be the most efficient way of killing enemies. It's just hard to circle them if they have a solid wall against you. You'd have to get really superiour numbers to be abile to punch a hole in the middle and circle the rest.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ihmemies posted:

Thanks. I need to train the relevant skills with some reserve pool "not so good" leaders next time. Then the same with retirement. It feels a bit evil to murder my own leaders, but retirement checks are so hard to achieve, while murder is easy....

Anyways, I won the 2nd game too. I think 2 majors is too few. You can easily kill 1 and then the other one can't do anything. Both maps had lakes too so plenty of infinite water.

I began a new game on desert map. Water should in theory be a larger issue now... so many water tech which doesn't matter at all when you produce 10-20k water/turn infinitely from lakes.

Map size is now Medium - large. So one step above the small - regular size. It has now 5 majors instead of 3, so I should have 4 enemies + minors. Two first games didn't really offer challenge, maybe this third one does! I did not feel threatened at all in any situation.

I highly recommend turning on 'Survival Stress' and 'Severe Violence' during planet generation. You get WAY more minors/majors that want to throw down, makes for much more interesting games.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

uPen posted:

I highly recommend turning on 'Survival Stress' and 'Severe Violence' during planet generation. You get WAY more minors/majors that want to throw down, makes for much more interesting games.

I guess I need to do that. I've just done all random :D Maybe I got lucky and got some this time. At least enemy units are in every direction from my city. Things are looking pretty solid though, captured a city from a major, just need to pacify the locals roaming around.

Some guy had done a video screen mod where he stole random art from the Internet and replaced the video screen images with those. I downloaded it and edited a few myself. Just need to finish the set, maybe tomorrow. Somehow the game feels nicer when it is less ugly.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Since we are talking about leaders, just a small detail that I took way too long to figure out: The "capability" stat on leaders, or "cap", is how fast they learn. And leaders learn very fast in this game if given any xp. A cap-5 guy with no skill at all will in a couple turns beat a cap-1 guy who has spent their entire life training. Assuming there are no loyalty problems, always favor higher-cap leaders.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I need to get back into this game. I dropped like 200 hours into it in a couple months in early 2020. I never really worried about leaders and their effectiveness. It seemed like I could plug anyone in and I was fine. I was usually starved for leaders anyway so anytime a new position opened up I used whatever recruitment card I had and welp guess you are a governor now.

If parties generated more leaders I might care more about who goes where.

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO
Is there a way to disestablish a zone? The AI keeps making these crappy little zones and then I'm saddled with them.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Dorstein posted:

Is there a way to disestablish a zone? The AI keeps making these crappy little zones and then I'm saddled with them.

I has been added to the beta patch which will be pushed to the stable version soonish. Last ETA was "beginning of january".

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I guess when some holiday somewhere is over, and they can be ready to respond with hotfixes to the patch. Maybe next week?

I should care about leaders less. Well generally I don't care too much about them, except when they cause problems. Now my secretary is at 7 happiness. I guess he has a different mindset from mine. I have done only the absolutely neccessary decisions to survive the game start, and he hates me. I guess I need to form STASI next and get rid of him, before he spawns some butt touching rebellion I really don't want to deal with now. I'm already at war with 3 minors since they just keep on invading my areas.

It is good to know that the leader cap is equivalent to their SPEED of learning new things. So I can put some cap3 noob in place and he/she will learn fast enough to be good enough.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 4, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So here's a replacement set of video screens, art stolen from the Internet. Now while I think about it I should probably have at least credited the authors (when I knew them) with a watermark. Oh well! Some guy named LordMM had collected a set but it was incomplete. Here's a full set of every screen. Not very period correct, but for those who want some change.

Extract to $gamefolder/GraphicsAlt/shadow/complex1

Gfx in the /graphicsalt are used instead if they exist.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vbtbfwo4gu1ehil/se_video_screens.7z/file

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 4, 2022

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Looks pretty neat, thanks!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Ihmemies posted:

I guess when some holiday somewhere is over, and they can be ready to respond with hotfixes to the patch. Maybe next week?

"They" is literally one Dutch dude called Vic who is also polishing a recent release of a Decisive Campaigns game. That said he's a machine when he's on form so I wouldn't expect to wait too long.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The official patch was released today on Steam. Looks like it's the last beta plus some additional changes, but not totally clear.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Looks like boats are coming as a DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c99e8fiGnys

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Lots of ongoing patches. Discord is still trying to wrap their heads around local supply and moving items from the SHQ to cities.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

While I like the game I'm dubious of the dlc. Water is the only actual obstacle in the game, since the ai can magic up a road across a 1000km mountain range even in the early game. I don't really want to give up on the one actual strategic restriction.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
With Maritime Trade Houses it doesn't sound like you can land anywhere on a coast, only in ports.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

V for Vegas posted:

With Maritime Trade Houses it doesn't sound like you can land anywhere on a coast, only in ports.

Logistics is a severe problem if you have no port to move supplies, so its atleast somewhat logical.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/VRdesigns/status/1641136317135192064?t=eZTIffNQuvAk3NgY38DQKw&s=19

Two days left :tem:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its been out for weeks now lol dead game

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

its been out for weeks now lol dead game

Sorry I am holding off on getting to grips with the new system until my mp games calm down a bit.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I'm still trying to understand how to plane

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm just endlessly generating worlds.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I love 4x's and really want to play this game but every time I read this thread I conclude that I am not smart enough to.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

SIGSEGV posted:

I'm just endlessly generating worlds.

This is legit gameplay

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

mega dy posted:

I love 4x's and really want to play this game but every time I read this thread I conclude that I am not smart enough to.

Yeah I own the game and bought the DLC but feel like I hit a brick wall every time I try to start a new game. Really want to get into it, though.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I recommend using advanced start so you have some basic industry and research completed. With normal start you are extremely weak in the beginning and have little room for mistake.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
There's a "Ruthlessly Simplified Getting Started Guide for Shadow Empire" that doesn't get bogged down with the details:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6UynQsoL8E

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009
I almost gave up on the game but after several hours of persisting against all odds I figured out how to play and was hooked. It consumed all of my free time for two weeks lol. Possibly the best strategy game I've played, extremely worth putting up with the learning curve.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I learned how to play it when I had covid, I ended up playing it 16 hours a day for 2 weeks. I was having weird fever dreams about this game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if i got ai moves turned off how do I check where the enemy is attacking me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

if i got ai moves turned off how do I check where the enemy is attacking me?

There's a turn replay button you can use. It's the "HIS" button near the top left.