Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

If I played this game a bunch before airplanes made it in how many hours of YouTube videos do I need to watch to catch up on the current state of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Not much honestly. I don't think there's been any major change except the introduction of more diverse native fauna, possibility of sentinent alien faction, airplane, ocean stuff since release.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 24, 2023

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Pre or Post pull points? Looking at the alien fauna can be handy if you mouse over the underlined perks. Chitinous makes them use the hard attack/defence of your units. Absorption makes them immune if your attack doesn't exceed their hitpoints. Most of the others either aren't important or are already factored into the unit stats.

Planes vary by planet atmosphere. The help tab has a bit about what the game considers the optimum engine for that atmosphere, in the same place as the farming advice. I find Turboprop is usually in the sweetspot between cost and power, especially as it uses mostly Rares. Think long and hard before you put dumb bombs on a plane. I usually overdesign the plane for my desired range and then scale down from there. Its always going to take a lot of fiddling honestly. Think of planes as a good way to get recon or kill tanks you have forced to retreat.

If you don't want to fool with sentient aliens you can just shoot them. Or just take whatever option boosts your desired profile.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

pedro0930 posted:

Not much honestly. I don't think there's been any major change except the introduction of more diverse native fauna, possibility of sentinent alien faction, airplane, ocean stuff since release.

they added a blueprint feature in the management tab that lets you design aircraft without having to go through each tab sequentially

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Stairmaster posted:

they added a blueprint feature in the management tab that lets you design aircraft without having to go through each tab sequentially

Whoa! That is my single biggest issue with the game. Gonna check that out.

Been playing again with the Oceania DLC. I’m playing on an Earth-like world, but so far not real use for the MTHs other than the limitless supply of credits you can get for selling off IP. Getting close to having to cross an ocean, so we’ll see how that goes, as I’m not sure how supply works. Another major keeps trying to recapture their city after I drove them off the continent, but seems like it’s hopeless so long as I keep some dudes on the port. So far, it doesn’t feel like a game changer, which is fine, cause I love the game as it is.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So what do I need to know to play this dlc?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

I just tried this out the other day and wow. Basically fixes the awful, awful, way it was originally implemented. Still some fiddling about, but all on one screen.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Just wandered back into playing this game

How in the heck do I ocean properly.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Just wandered back into playing this game

How in the heck do I ocean properly.

do not use a logitech controller

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just started this and wowzers is there a lot to get my baby casual brain around.

Okay, so walk me through this like I'm slow-witted (I always feel this way with VR games :D )

I think I've understood supply, have both bases and truck stops near the front. I still seem to have a hard time getting the military to work for me, because I don't seem to develop or re-up any of them on my own. So my questions are..

1) How do units recover dead troops? I've tried mashing the reiplenish slider, but no matter how many riflemen I send, they don't seem to get back to full green bar.

2) Why won't the build roads command work? I select a unit, a start and end point, but it just says 'not connected to SHQ' which I dont know what means.

3) is it normal that it takes forever to be allowed to build your first regular unit? Even though I build metal mines and use stratagems to get more colonists, it seems impossible to build anything but a snotty independent MG unit for many turns

E: so apparently roads need to spring out of SHQ that has the needed logistical resources to support it, but even though I only lay down one hex of dirt road from my capital, it says I don't have the supply. What gives?

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 30, 2023

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Units recover dead troops out of the reinforcement pool. If you go to the reinforcement screen it will tell you how many reserves for reinforcement you have/need. Then the logistic network delivers as many as it can between turns. If you aren't getting reinforcements you either need to build more reserves or get more logistic points. Nationalize the truck station so you can upgrade it or you'll never have enough logistic points to do anything.

To build more unit variety you need the model council. It's a two step process, they need to discover a new model type and then create the actual unit model. The game will prompt you to make new councils, but you don't have to wait. If you have the PPs you can call your secretary and order a new council for next turn. Upgrade your bureaucratic offices to make your councils work faster.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tias posted:

2) Why won't the build roads command work? I select a unit, a start and end point, but it just says 'not connected to SHQ' which I dont know what means.

3) is it normal that it takes forever to be allowed to build your first regular unit? Even though I build metal mines and use stratagems to get more colonists, it seems impossible to build anything but a snotty independent MG unit for many turns

E: so apparently roads need to spring out of SHQ that has the needed logistical resources to support it, but even though I only lay down one hex of dirt road from my capital, it says I don't have the supply. What gives?

Do you have the materials to build them?

And yeah, it takes a while to get the industry going to be able to put down your first proper unit. it's militia for the first few years.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And also that 'industry' is its own numbered resource that you can run out of on a turn. It's the cogwheels and they come from the factory building primarily

Tias
May 25, 2008

Okay, going to try that.

SE: Tryna nationalize the truck stop so I can build a dirt road :commissar:

What exact resource do I need to build the road? It seems to give the same out of SHQ logistics reply no matter how many supply bases, truck stops or train heads I build.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Tias posted:

Okay, going to try that.

What exact resource do I need to build the road? It seems to give the same out of SHQ logistics reply no matter how many supply bases, truck stops or train heads I build.

R is the road-building hotkey.

Building roads doesn't take time. As long as you have resources it's instant.

It costs IP.

Your offensive is gonna grind to a halt without roads following your troops, as you won't get fuel,food,ammo or new troops to cover the losses.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ok, thanks. I seem not to have enough IP to do that then. What can I do to get more, except build the one factory I can have in town?

Also, does it make a difference if I do ranged attacks or move attacks? I figure the first part is primarily to use artillery with, right?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Tias posted:

Okay, going to try that.

You need industry (point) to build road, which is different from what supply bases and truck stops provide. You get industry point from building and upgrading factories.

Things like supply base and truck stops are for propagating your supply network, which is needed to keep your units supplied and transfer resources in and out of your SHQ (to another city, for example). Your SHQ is the source of your supply and where you store all your resources, usually going to be your capital, but can be changed, and you can even have multiple SHQs.

Tias posted:

Just started this and wowzers is there a lot to get my baby casual brain around.

Okay, so walk me through this like I'm slow-witted (I always feel this way with VR games :D )

I think I've understood supply, have both bases and truck stops near the front. I still seem to have a hard time getting the military to work for me, because I don't seem to develop or re-up any of them on my own. So my questions are..

1) How do units recover dead troops? I've tried mashing the reiplenish slider, but no matter how many riflemen I send, they don't seem to get back to full green bar.

1) Your nation automatically attempt to recruit a set amount of your population into your manpower pool every turn. This is a policy you can change. Your units are created and reinforced with this manpower pool automatically. If your units are not being reinforced back to full strength (automatically, you shouldn't have to use any command to get reinforcements) it's probably because there's not enough supply capacity to get to them. Or perhaps you are trying to reinforce a militia unit? Militia units have their own reinforce pool. Short answer is don't worry about reinforcing militia.
2) see above discussion.
3)It will take forever to build your first unit if you are using your very meager default industry income for something else already. It's actually very cheap to arm a brigade of soldiers with basic weapons, but if you are also attempting to upgrade your factory or scavenge operation at the same time then the default industrial capacity will be overwhelmed.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 30, 2023

Tias
May 25, 2008

I seem to hemmorhage IP every turn to the point nothing is left for either replenishment or roads - but even if I do nothing, I can't make a road. I wonder what gives :f5:

Thanks for your patience, it's much appreciated!

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I recommend avoiding building roads at first. Use the spy cards to reveal the map instead of sending units. Then when you find a nearby area that has roads and towns already start working your roads toward them for conquest. Some terrain types add ridiculous cost increases for road construction so keep that in mind when planning your route.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Yea, i always found the start to be slow, because of the lack of IP.

Just get enough metal to upgrade your factory asap, and then just continue upgrade it whenever you can.

The private sector will build a civilian factory with time, and upgrade that to lvl 3 as well.

other then that, you can find small rare factory left on the map, with luck.

---------

Just use ranged attacks with artillery to soften up enemies before a direct attack. If you played any tactical game before, just use common sense.

--------

I wish the Civ games had SE combat system. The combat/logistick is fun, but the city building/population control i feel is lacking in SE.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Allright, seems what I actually need is patience.

Thanks again! I'll report in later.

E: holy poo poo, building a building also lays down a road between it and SHQ :o

Tias fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 30, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Yes, resources can only flow if there is road connection, including the resources you need to construct the building in the first place.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Truck and Train Simulator of the far future

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The only big gotcha in the logistics simulation that trips up newbies is that when you build additional truck stops /rail stations the road/rail from your capital should usually not terminate to the new building, but should go past it. That is,

══▧══ ══╦══
.....................▧
..No .......... Yes

with a traffic light on the T-junction stopping points from entering the rail station off from the main route.

Reason is in this forums post.

The exception is when the road is so far that that your old logistics points are running out of range, in that case you do want to refocus and have them all enter the truck stop and go through it.

If you do not do this, and do things the way that feels natural, that is, just make roads between cities with logistics centers in cities, then your capital will never have significantly more logistics points than it's own station can make and in the endgame you will have massive trouble when it will constantly run out of log points.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I looked at the post and gotta say I can't really understand it. However, the point that most stations must happen outside, not through, the cities, got through. The same goes for trucks?

E: and what do I do with units that raced outside my supply area? I have some valuable armoured formations that are now at zero 0 and have also begun losing manpower :aaaaa:

Tias fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 1, 2023

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's because logistics are hard capped to only pass through X truck stations. This means that if you don't cycle trucks next to the roads then after the third truck station it will hard stop there, I assume this is to encourage use of rail and more HQ zones. There's also a bunch of tutorials on how to use stop signs. So for example if you have a major arterial road with a mine off to the side, then if you don't place a stop sign to stop all but the specific type of logi point required for the mine, the system will potentially divert thousands of logi points to a 2 tile strip of road.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tias posted:

E: and what do I do with units that raced outside my supply area? I have some valuable armoured formations that are now at zero 0 and have also begun losing manpower :aaaaa:

When I was picking up the game and learning how the supply system worked my solution for this situation was to just reload an earlier turn’s autosave.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Roads are placed by loving right clicking -_- Mystery solved!

So I just raised a tank regiment, and it seems to not be able to move and also losing members even though all it's done is being parked in my SHQ. Is there some kind of max support I have to raise, and how?

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 1, 2023

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Do you have enough food in your SHQ's inventory? Your starting farm isn't going to cut it forever.

The other major culprit might be Severe Radiation. Given what tanks can handle, and the fact that you didn't have this problem with infantry, I am ruling it out.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So far, yes. Perhaps it's just raised understrength, that's happened before and I didn't check.

So, regarding the logistics train, how far should I make roads and truck stops before adding a supply base? Are there any good rules of thumb?

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
Supply depots are best placed 5-10 road hexes from the nearest truck station, so there's enough spent AP for them to refresh, and within 6 hexes of their zone's city so they don't cause an administrative strain penalty.

Tias
May 25, 2008

How can I see what is already on a tile? I suspect I started with a supply base 'cause the tile has a name, but I'm not sure..

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
Left-click on the tile to select it, then select the Assets tab of the bottom bar. You can toggle between seeing all assets and hex perks in the zone and only the selected tile on the right.

Tias
May 25, 2008

On the verge of quitting. It seems like no matter what I do, I either run out of IP (easily fixed by spending carefully, though), supply (the mechanisms of which are still black magic), and now food (though I've built one farm a turn for three turns and keep trading food in).

The manual doesn't really seem to clear up what a beginning strategy looks like. Am I just out of luck, or are there some kind of approach that can be done by a non-grog?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Are you sure your farms are actually being worked? If you've been building that many you should not really be having a food crisis unless your city is massively overpopulated. Maybe you just don't have enough workers to run them? Or they have a big production penalty for some reason?

Also, I may be misunderstanding something but I seem to remember having a problem where if you are constantly upgrading a farm it never get time to actually start producing since newly build assets take a turn to start up and farms upgrade in one turn, leaving you stuck in that cycle for several turns while you build it up.

Issues with supply are almost always caused by either lacking transport infrastructure or sending your troops way out of range of your supply network, but you seem to be aware of that already? Do note that units need actual resources, so if you're lacking food then your troops will starve too no matter how many supply bases you have. And vehicles (including your supply network) will be useless without fuel, which you might not have a good source of at the start.

NeverHelm fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 2, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Tias posted:

On the verge of quitting. It seems like no matter what I do, I either run out of IP (easily fixed by spending carefully, though), supply (the mechanisms of which are still black magic), and now food (though I've built one farm a turn for three turns and keep trading food in).

The manual doesn't really seem to clear up what a beginning strategy looks like. Am I just out of luck, or are there some kind of approach that can be done by a non-grog?

What tech level are you playing at? If you are starting on tech 3 thats actually going hardmode because you start with NOTHING, Tech 4 or Tech 5 will actually give you stuff to work with.

Tech 5, three zones, all councils isn't a bad way to play around with the various mechanics and learn things.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I'm pretty sure things finally got fixed so that building a level 2 building is more efficient than two level one buildings. Farm wise it could be a case of seasonal temperature variation making open air farming impossible for half the year. I have a single player game where I started with an open air farm like that... and it SUCKS!

Logistics point wise are you using traffic signs? Number one source of inexplicable shortages. Set it to 100% block non pull points on any non vital branch. The second culprit is usually excessive resource movement, particularly food.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tias posted:

the thing to remember with food - with most resources, but particularly food - is that there's private food and public food. Public workers and troops are fed out of public food and the private economy is fed out of private food. You can set a zone to be subsidized so that public food backstops private food if necessary, but that isn't the case by default. You only get a fraction of public food out of your starting private farms, but it's usually enough to feed a small amount of industry and a couple formations of state troops.

the other thing to remember with food is that it usually requires water as an input. Your farms may not be productive if you have a water shortage, particularly if they are open air farms.

A very important thing to know is that your relationship with your governors is actually really important, just as (if not more) important than their skills. It has a direct impact on productivity. This also counts for your ministers, but your ministers generally don't impact your food production.

As for starting strategies: IP is a hurdle. Early on, you need to be squeezing for all the metal you can get so you can build your public industry and fuel its usage. Take whatever private industry you can get your hands on as well. The other hurdle is money. Inexplicably, your nation functions without any taxation whatsoever at the start, and you can't get any without putting resources into the (interior minister?). Generally you have to sell off rare metals when you can get them in order to fund your nation.

I liike to get a number of of armored buggies early on. Buggies are tough to kill early on, and have great speed while being actually pretty cheap in terms of oil. They also have a good recon stat so they tend not to blunder into ambushes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If I am just buying this game is there a good reason to get the DLC as well or is it mostly just something to add more options for people who have played the game to death already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cranky corvid
Sep 30, 2021
The latter. The DLC doesn't do anything if you're not playing on planets with oceans, and for a new player, it's probably better to play other planet types first before trying to figure out those mechanics.