Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Saros posted:

Yeah the normal truck station makes 1000 Logistics points and 100 Truck AP. The Truck AP means that out to 100 AP along a road (dirt roads are 10/hex, sealed roads are 5/hex) you get 100% of the logistical point flow, it degrades fairly quickly after that. Supply Depots add 50 truck AP to any logistical flow going through them, i.e. extending the range you get 100% LP flow with no degradation along dirt roads for an extra five hexes.

Thank you, I was having a hard time even with the manual figuring out the Station vs Depot differences.

Update to the beta patch today:

quote:

Changelist to v1.01a-beta2
-Improved the Mouse Overs with a tolerance mode of 20 pixels so you do not have to keep the mouse perfectly still
-Added the generation of a planet generation save in your savedgames directory. Which if you like you could rename and share with others. Or use to restart a Planet you found interesting.
-Fixed an AI “leader ageing” crash (BvG)
-Better garbage cleaning of some detailed log reports (data thing behind the hood)
-Fixed a crash with a start turn crash (Chris)
-Fixed crash with Artifact being generated in a Scav Asset that got upgraded to a higher level at the same time
-Fixed a crash with clicking on the Strat button in the bottom interface
-Increased free Water storage points with the amount of free Water (rivers/rain/sea) the Zone receives.
-Fixed issue with Electric Engine not being selectable for new Models designing
-Non-aligned forces (alien critters/marauders) do NOT take the first turn anymore.
-If no-saving during game + passwords enabled in a multi player game you’ll get “possible” cheat messages if a player replays his/her turn.
-Auto-combat setting in prefs now saves properly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Squiggle posted:

-Added the generation of a planet generation save in your savedgames directory. Which if you like you could rename and share with others. Or use to restart a Planet you found interesting.

Lol Vic. He has spent literal months deflecting this request from Beta testers but has now managed to basically bang it out in an afternoon.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Yeah, this is fairly inscrutable to me. A lot of things that just aren't intuitive.

I make what I think is a regular independent unit, but suddenly have like 7 new icons in my city?

I see little special icons on various hexes, but have no idea how to figure out what they are (like what's the little heart icon in a circle, etc.).

A ton of icons have no tool tips, so I'm making decisions and have no idea what +8 to hammer and sickle is supposed to mean.

Seems like there is a lot of game here, but it's pretty hard work figuring it out.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Speaking of figuring this out, is there any tutorial series that aren't DasTactic? I'm working through the manual and doing a lot of trial and error but having this condensed somewhat would be great.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Beta 3 out already.

quote:

Changelist to v1.01a-beta3
-Fixed another AI crash with a tortured AI regime
-Lifted the 2 player limit on the “Unclassified” Planet starts

http://www.vrdesigns.net/openbeta/Shadow_Patch_v101a-beta3.zip

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Speaking of figuring this out, is there any tutorial series that aren't DasTactic? I'm working through the manual and doing a lot of trial and error but having this condensed somewhat would be great.

I don't have any to reccomend but there are likely some on youtube, if anyone finds a good one i'll put it in the OP. You can also read my LP linked in the OP I went through a lot of the mechanics in it (the OP there has a table of contents with mechanics explanations in).

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah, this is fairly inscrutable to me. A lot of things that just aren't intuitive.

I make what I think is a regular independent unit, but suddenly have like 7 new icons in my city?

I see little special icons on various hexes, but have no idea how to figure out what they are (like what's the little heart icon in a circle, etc.).

A ton of icons have no tool tips, so I'm making decisions and have no idea what +8 to hammer and sickle is supposed to mean.

Seems like there is a lot of game here, but it's pretty hard work figuring it out.

1) Yeah you likely made a Operational HQ unit, when building units you select OHQ (5 counters + HQ) or independent unit (1 counter, can be attached to HQ's). Top of the raise formation screen lets you choose what type of unit to raise.
2) Hex assets probably, you can see them in anything that shows zone assets and mouseover to see their effects (bottom pane assets tab).
3) All those little symbols are government/society, you can see their effects in the left UI pane middle tab.

Saros fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 7, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do ohq have a fixed amount of aux units they can carry or is it based on leader skill and if so where can I see the limit

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

2 independent units per OHQ max.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
PC only :argh:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Hmm, I just noticed there are a lot more logo options in the files than show up for me in-game; I only see 18 total, but there are 31 in \regime_symbols - what gives?

EDIT: mm, it's definitely name-based, written somewhere...swapping names between a missing symbol and one of the others that does show up causes them to trade state in-game too. There's nothing inherently flawed with the files.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 7, 2020

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Squiggle posted:

Hmm, I just noticed there are a lot more logo options in the files than show up for me in-game; I only see 18 total, but there are 31 in \regime_symbols - what gives?

I think the game grabs a random subset.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Interesting, you're right - but it's saved per-planet (now that there's a "last planet generated" save), so reloading the same planet to test more quickly wasn't showing the randomness. Started a totally new game and it got...weird, 19 instead of 18, options available, with some new choices. But yep, seems random.

What a weird limitation... makes custom images kind of tricky? And if it is a limitation, why did I get 18 on one and 19 on the other?

EDIT: Changing gears, look at this rear end in a top hat:

The supreme command of our entire military force, for once not absolutely terrible at it, head of the People's committee, and he loving hates the militia. I have a pending decision to reward our militia members for their service that would tank his opinion of me by 61 points.

EDIT 2:

Turn 3, well gently caress hi guys

EDIT 3:

AAAND I'm dead

But hey, at least the rear end in a top hat SHQ commander was murdered as the city was taken by cylon battlemechs.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 8, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm guessing but it could be that the other symbols are being used by ai factions

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Squiggle posted:

Interesting, you're right - but it's saved per-planet (now that there's a "last planet generated" save), so reloading the same planet to test more quickly wasn't showing the randomness. Started a totally new game and it got...weird, 19 instead of 18, options available, with some new choices. But yep, seems random.

What a weird limitation... makes custom images kind of tricky? And if it is a limitation, why did I get 18 on one and 19 on the other?

EDIT: Changing gears, look at this rear end in a top hat:

The supreme command of our entire military force, for once not absolutely terrible at it, head of the People's committee, and he loving hates the militia. I have a pending decision to reward our militia members for their service that would tank his opinion of me by 61 points.

EDIT 2:

Turn 3, well gently caress hi guys

EDIT 3:

But hey, at least the rear end in a top hat SHQ commander was murdered as the city was taken.

This game is brutal and will procedurally generate your death. I had a start where 3 of my city border hexes were filled with 1000 10m long bear analogs... I died on my first turn.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Gonna have to sand those edges a bit for MP, dominions has its moments but the heavy cav / thunder god throne / blood vines / hill wizard steve start at least doesn't directly murder you.

But it would be best as an option so that we can enjoy those moment, when they happen to someone else.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Anyone found that force march and blitzkrieg posture don't really work? For force march your unit will suffer readiness penalty which more than eliminate the AP bonus (actually looking at the tooltip I can't even find the AP bonus in the AP breakdown). Same thing for blitzkrieg, it doesn't seem to give any AP bonus.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

As far as I can tell your options are watching Das fumble through the game for a few hours, or spend many more hours watching Grey play. Everything looks like an early look or a lets play. I was going to be buying this game day one because of how much I have enjoyed all of Vic's previous games, but this content sure did get me fired up for the game. I am not a content creator, or an expert at Shadow Empires yet, but I would be happy to talk through my high level understanding of any concepts that you are struggling with, and maybe could write up some text/image guides for some of those game concepts?

Also, just hop on the discord and ask in the shadow empires channel.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Re-Urbanizing the Wasteland
The economy of Shadow Empires is broken up by the concept of Zones. A Zone is the area you control around a city. While you can get fancy and create new zones based around any asset far enough away from one of your existing cities, and I think colonize new cities, for the start just think of zones as something around the city you started with and all the cities you have conquered rescued from savagery.

You can only have one city per Zone, and these cities are the engine of your economy. A critical concept to master in Shadow Empire is how to pump up the population living under your iron fisted control and thriving in your cities. One of the most effective methods to do this is to control the tiles containing Free Folk settlements and make sure they are part of the zone of a city you control.

Here you can see the Free Folk settlement of Gandy is within the zone surrounding my city York. If you select (left mouse button, in any order mode) any of the seven hexes that make up the York Zone here on turn one, and then look to the bottom of the UI you can see more detail about this zone. Make sure you have the Zone tab selected, its the left most tab, and will show the name of the currently selected Zone. When you have more than one zone on the map, you can left click on a hex in a different zone, and the info in this tab will swap to that zone.

Something you will have to get used to with this game is that everything is 3 or 4 UI layers deep, and is also context sensitive. But don't let this daunt you, the game will let you get a long way through without actually having any idea what is happening or how anything works. But when you are ready, or need to trouble shoot something all the detail in the world is available to you once you learn how to find it.

While I have you here the ugly mug on the left is the Governor of York, the button Call will bring up a menu where you fire them, or change the policy for the zone. The button labeled Strat is a shortcut to play a Stratagem card with the governor as the target, you can also accomplish the same task by opening the stratagem menu, but with all the procedural generated names and horrible monster faces it can be a challenge to play these cards against the right character.

Now what is even less obvious right off the bat is that the 9 boxes in the middle are clickable sub-menus, although the "Big Town (III)" being highlighted in red should have been a tip off to me, it wasn't and it took me forever to find some of this information when I started playing. So if you click any of these things you will get the detailed info panel for them on the left, and it will hide the monster face from you, although now that I look at him Perry Betelgeuze is actually about the most handsome one i've seen so far, but if you hover your mouse over the button you get different information in a tool tip.

In this case we have clicked, and are looking at the tool tip for the Population tab. The tool tip is showing us the details of why our population change was 0 (the blue equals) last turn. So two of the kinds of "item" that a Zone can have in its inventory are "Workers" and "Recruits" generating either will cost 1 unit of Population per unit of Worker or Recruit produced. Workers are a resource used to pay the upkeep cost every turn on Assets (they are not consumed), Recruits are an ingredient in producing military units (they are consumed). The rate and details about how to produce Workers and Recruits from your Population are on the Zone policy page (remember the Call button on the Governor?).

So by default when you start the game your Governor will have your starting zone set to try and recruit 500 Population into Recruits every round. And as you can see from the tool tip, our Population is only growing by 200 a around by ahem "natural" means. If we didn't have another source of people the Population of our city would be dropping, which might make our goal of world conquest a little unsustainable.

Luckily, the people of Gandy have realized that York is the place to be and are moving there. I don't actually know the details about the rates at which people will choose to migrate to your city or anything, but the basic idea seems to be pump up happiness, get assets in your city that increase quality of life, and they will come.

On the bottom UI if you select the Assets tab (2nd from the right) you will see all the buildings that are in this Zone. There is a color code here, the grey tiles (High Command I) are "Public" assets, meaning they are under your control. The brown (Dome-Farm II) are "Private" assets, and they are owned by the Population of the city. The gold tiles "Gandy" are "Hex Features" of which a Free Folk settlement is a special kind, the Power Plant tile is in York as you can see by the little circle on the York tile that is hidden by my units in this picture. If your Zone has any "Rural" (as opposed to "City") assets they will also show in this page, so as you develop your zones with mines and truck stations and everything this list can get quite long.

Clicking on the name of any of these Assets will bring up a detailed view with more information.

So with all that said, the next step in this round is clearly to liberate Moascon, so that we have another source of Free Folk migration into York.

Hopefully this was useful in anyway.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
In my experience, early on population doesn't mean much - the private economy is only going to provide so many jobs, and you'll be resource limited rather than worker or recruit limited on what you can build for a long time. I guess once you build your economy a bit you could crank recruitment way up and swamp the world in cheap infantry, but usually I have plenty of pop for a long time.

Eventually (assuming you survive) you definitely hit the point where you can afford hordes of units and techs like soil metal extraction and power plants mean you're no longer limited by map based resources, so pretty much the only limitation on expansion becomes population. So I think of free folk towns as an investment in the future.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm pretty sure that the unlimited resources are effectively anything derived from, water, fuel, regular metals, and power, you still need to mine out rare earth metals and radioactives.

Unless there's more buildings that poop them out higher in the tech tree.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

SIGSEGV posted:

I'm pretty sure that the unlimited resources are effectively anything derived from, water, fuel, regular metals, and power, you still need to mine out rare earth metals and radioactives.

Unless there's more buildings that poop them out higher in the tech tree.

The soil metal extraction building gives both metal and a smaller amount of rare metals. I'm not sure about the others.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

It does seem to work on various Mac emulator things but I don't know the details, there's a thread on the matrix forums about it.

SIGSEGV posted:

Gonna have to sand those edges a bit for MP, dominions has its moments but the heavy cav / thunder god throne / blood vines / hill wizard steve start at least doesn't directly murder you.

But it would be best as an option so that we can enjoy those moment, when they happen to someone else.

If you start on tech 4/5 and with an army you're basically immune to any of the early deaths causes so for MP we have been doing that.

Saros fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 8, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Beta4 patch out (at 7am on a monday, what the hell)

Vic posted:

Changelist to v1.01a-beta4
-Improved history-view representation of friendly rebels attacking somewhere
-Improved history map by putting a selection graphic around the Hex where a history step is actually happening.
-Fixed a crash related to disappeared Trader Houses
-Fixed a crash related to the resolving of a faulty Demand on taking a Hex that did not exist. Also fixed such a demand being given in the first place.
-Some minor spelling and typo repairs
-Fixed overflow of att-def total list in combat setup popup
-Reduced the extremity of the costs for Rail through difficult landscapes (except high mountains). Stays high, but at least it is possible to construct now if you save up.

http://www.vrdesigns.net/openbeta/Shadow_Patch_v101a-beta4.zip

Lol guess the complaining about rail got to him.

Saros fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 8, 2020

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Saros posted:

Beta4 patch out (at 7am on a monday, what the hell)

http://www.vrdesigns.net/openbeta/Shadow_Patch_v101a-beta4.zip

Lol guess the complaining about rail got to him.

'except high mountains'... Goddammit, Vic!! But that was the worst one! :argh:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Gimmick Account posted:

'except high mountains'... Goddammit, Vic!! But that was the worst one! :argh:

Go Around.

Building railway through high mountain terrain is not easy and takes a very long time to do. A lot of manpower, and a lot of resources. I am just so glad I can rail through low mountain terrain now.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Something is wrong with my supply lines - I have thousands of fuel, my tanks are sitting just outside my capital, but they are only getting a a sliver of fuel each turn.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Bremen posted:

The soil metal extraction building gives both metal and a smaller amount of rare metals. I'm not sure about the others.

Well, that's good.

Saros posted:

If you start on tech 4/5 and with an army you're basically immune to any of the early deaths causes so for MP we have been doing that.

And that's good also.

As an aside, it's really nice to see a dev react so well to criticism and try to fix things so fast.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

Something is wrong with my supply lines - I have thousands of fuel, my tanks are sitting just outside my capital, but they are only getting a a sliver of fuel each turn.

Check what your SHQ settings are for what % of your logistical network can be used for shifting supplies to units, all your trucks might be busy shuffling spullies to/from zones. Also look at bottleneck mode and see if your capital is jammed.

And I think the only resource that can only be gotten from the ground is radioactives.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Build rail lines. Or park your tanks directly in your capital so there is 0 distance.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
How do i design a new model? I just researched automatic rifles and can't figure out where the right button is.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

You need a model council, once you have one you call the director in charge via the cabinet screen.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
Well, that's obvious in hindsight, thank you.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
are there any good lets plays of this game i can use to sell my gamer crew on this impossibly dated and janky game?

pointsofdata posted:

Building railways between cities will help relieve logistics issues on dirt roads right (seen by them being black in the choke point view)? And do I need stations in both cities or will a railhead in one city be enough? Also I nationalised the truck station in my capital and I think that helped but am not sure.

i try to nationalize the truck hub asap, it doubles the amount of capacity in the hub and i'm pretty sure the truck hub doesn't generate money for the private economy anyway

V for Vegas posted:

if the tanks are close enough to the shq for their own organic transportation to try to fetch supplies, then you're probably hitting the cap for how much of the shq's resource distribution can be devoted to resupplying units. the shq will also move stuff around within and between zones, it does a lot of stuff haulage. if you check the shq settings you can see the cap for each type of stuff movement

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 8, 2020

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

luxury handset posted:

are there any good lets plays of this game i can use to sell my gamer crew on this impossibly dated and janky game?

Theres a list in the OP which is drawn from the people who were given preview copies.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Are the combat odds broken? I attacked a unit of militia rifleman with 14 readiness at 6.5:1 odds and got absolutely pasted. This was after multiple turns of bombardment, too. Perhaps I'm just overestimating my dudes abilities or missing something else, but I feel like I should have been able to overpower them.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 8, 2020

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
So just how groggy is this? I love 4x games but most grog games terrify me

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Jarvisi posted:

As I saw posted elsewhere, if you have to ask, this game is probably not for you.

That said, it is a really cool game. If it interests you despite the overly detailed nature, Saros has a good SS LP here if you want an idea of what it's like.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jarvisi posted:

it's not super groggy but it's groggy enough to where you'll want to pay close attention to your logistics capacity, and you'll want to be aware of the general differences between battalions, regiments, and divisions

i'd say this is more of a milsim wrapped in a 4x than the other way around. if you think that building "warriors" and moving them on epic eons-long journeys around the map is a little stale, you'll probably like this game. for the price point i can understand hesitation though

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Are the combat odds broken? I attacked a unit of militia rifleman with 14 readiness at 6.5:1 odds and got absolutely pasted. This was after multiple turns of bombardment, too. Perhaps I'm just overestimating my dudes abilities or missing something else, but I feel like I should have been able to overpower them.

the early artillery you get is basically useless for offensive purposes. i try not to attack to seize objectives unless i can stack like 10:1 odds, or if you're just trying to clear random free folk militia off the map, keep your units in contact and let them attack you over a dozen or so turns

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 8, 2020

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

AtomikKrab posted:

Building railway through high mountain terrain is not easy and takes a very long time to do. A lot of manpower, and a lot of resources.

That was almost word-for-word my earlier suggestion on how to fix this, so now I'm just confused by your reply.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Any chance of a battle screenshot or going back to the previous autosave to mock one up? Could be a lot of stuff or just bad recon or rolls.

[E] if you are on the fence about buying it there is a 20% discount using 'wargamer20' until tomorrow and I have updated a lot of the op with tutorials and videos.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
After starting a couple games on beginner to wrap my head around some concepts I finally bumped it up to normal and it's been a great experience so far. gently caress unrest and all the events associated with it, but I've finally been able to figure out how to get a conquered city mostly functional again and what all the governor orders actually do.

I think the next hurdle will be figuring out colonists and setting up new cities/zones to exploit a bit patch of ruins in the wasteland far away from anything.

Also, naming new models so they don't get all hosed up when I build on the existing model instead of making a new one. Not entirely sure what the distinction is there, but I think it has to do with the design point rolls?

e: I was curious on the last point so I looked it up

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 8, 2020