Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Literally A Person posted:

Can you 3d print hardened metal??? That'd also be sweet.

you can 3d print in pla which burns cleanly enough that you can use it for lost wax casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

If not this:

Big Beef City posted:

Centre Cutter Blade Fits ALKO SHREDDER H1100 H1300 H1600 H1800 H2200 329-506 ?
That one says out of stock, but they sold like 200 of them so contact the seller or search for it, they're out there. idk

Then:

Schweinhund posted:

you can just get it welded together

A decent mechanic could weld that together in about 10mins.
Which is quicker than it would take a blacksmith to bend a horseshoe into that shape.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Alien Sex Manual posted:

My husband wants to set up a hobby forge out back and he is indeed a fat guy in an apron. No mustache though. Maybe you can only grow one AFTER establishing said forge and smithing some wrought iron :iiam:

You need a license from the blacksmith guild and they only grant that after you fetch 10 Salmander tails from the Temperi wilds.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Moo the cow posted:

A decent mechanic could weld that together in about 10mins.
Which is quicker than it would take a blacksmith to bend a horseshoe into that shape.

The only problem with welding it together would be pulling the temper out of the blade causing it to just deform when it hits a hardwood twig.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

What do you call a blacksmith in free-fall?

A farrier jump jet.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

maybe just cut a square hole in a piece of 2x4 and tack it in place op same difference and it will chew through most brush and eventually feed itself into the blades easy peasy bing bang boom no problem plus since wood is lighter than metal u don't even have to balance it or nothin no matter how many rpms it spins at so just go hog wild with how you half rear end it.

Also tell your blacksmith that too when he's fixing it not to bother with weight or nothing if he decides to just tack weld it back together, if it spins fast enough, weight just sorta "blurs together" around the axis point and runs smoother, that's physics you know

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Alien Sex Manual posted:

My husband wants to set up a hobby forge out back and he is indeed a fat guy in an apron. No mustache though. Maybe you can only grow one AFTER establishing said forge and smithing some wrought iron :iiam:

The blacksmith’s mustache is actually soot and burned skin acquired during the Ascension Ceremony known as Hephaestus’s Kiss, wherein the aspiring smith gains his powers by planting a deep wet smackeroo on the turgid Anvil of the Forge Lord.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
A blacksmith? Wtf? Take it to a machine shop.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Okay, so the smithy is gonna repair the part "good enough" to get me through the season and I'm gonna order a replacement from Australia. $10 and done today so that's awesome. But tell me more about your guys' experiences going to the smithy!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Okay, so the smithy is gonna repair the part "good enough" to get me through the season and I'm gonna order a replacement from Australia. $10 and done today so that's awesome. But tell me more about your guys' experiences going to the smithy!

the last time i went to a smithy it was at a ren faire and this cute girl working there that i used to play D&D with polished my sword iykwim

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i have literally no idea what you mean

what is a sword

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I tried doing backyard blacksmithing. I made a piece of metal shaped into a different shape.
Lessons I learned:
1) I need a flat sturdy surface to keep my cheap harbor freight anvil from moving around
2) Melted Non Ferrous metals burn much more nastier on your skin than Ferrous metals.
3) Don't use coal that falls off trains, it emits a nasty green smoke that makes my chest hurts.
4) I'm lazy.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm gonna have some titty armor made

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

oh but seriously I posted:

What do you call a blacksmith in free-fall?

this is one of the weirdest jokes I've ever seen, I love it, thank you

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm gonna have some titty armor made

Armor made out of titties or armor FOR titties? I think you'd need to specify prior to construction

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Is he going to weld it?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Moo the cow posted:

Is he going to weld it?

Totes. It's good enough considering now I can order a factory replacement. Thing only needs to last a month.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
bring me back a couple hoes please

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Should have bartered with him for a forums account instead.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Alien Sex Manual posted:

Should have bartered with him for a forums account instead.

:aaaaa:

I am such a fool.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hey.

Hey OP.

Don't FORGEt to pick me up a tuna sMELT while you're there LMAO you get it?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Big Beef City posted:

Hey.

Hey OP.

Don't FORGEt to pick me up a tuna sMELT while you're there LMAO you get it?

No. I don't.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

this is one of the weirdest jokes I've ever seen, I love it, thank you

:hai:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Alien Sex Manual posted:

Husband
Leather apron
Hobby forge

fantasy island
:swoon:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Alien Sex Manual posted:

It's a biological fact that men of a certain age and gravity will inevitably take up blacksmithing. It's a tale as old as time.

Now where did I leave my hammer?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

Armor made out of titties or armor FOR titties? I think you'd need to specify prior to construction

gently caress that the best route is to go in there and specify nothing. If/when the smith asks for clarification you respond with "Eh, fuckin' surprise me bro" and a shrug.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't either I looked up blacksmith jokes and they had those words in there and I'm also hungry so I just put whatever. Can you still get me a sandwich tho I'm serious a good tuna melt sounds legit right now

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Hey OP I have watched way too much Forged in Fire so give me 3-5 years and I got your back in regards to smithying

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Thinking about franchising out my business model which is basically a deli and a forge in one. Time to rake in those millions of dollars I deserve.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008

The only problem with welding it together would be pulling the temper out of the blade causing it to just deform when it hits a hardwood twig.

While what you're saying is completely true, once you're done welding you'd grind it down flush, and once that's all done, you could very easily heat the absolute gently caress out of it and dunk it in oil or water or whatever to regain the hardness.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Thinking about franchising out my business model which is basically a deli and a forge in one. Time to rake in those millions of dollars I deserve.

Thor's Hammer and Cheese

The sandwiches are prepped in front of the customer on an anvil.
The bread is toasted in a 'forge'
Retrieved from it using those blacksmith pincers

Market it purely to hipsters and call it "Wrought Irony"

I'll take a partners share. Thanks in advance.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Open an asian themed black smith / take out place and have it set up so that people come in and sit down expecting nothing special, but one of the really old chefsmiths (that's trademarked now) wanders past then stops and turns to the new arrival as if noticing something interesting about them, and asks them about their hunger and responds that only a TRUE hunger warrior could know THAT and though he has retired from doing so, at such a disreputable place as this, he will create for them a to-go order so fine it will feed the gods themselves, should they meet them in their travels! Like straight out of a Zatoichi movie.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Smelter? drat near dealt ‘er!

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This thread just reminded me of the Goon who devoted his entire life to medieval LARP and was going broke paying for elaborate feasts for his fake knights on his gas station clerks salary despute his medievel LARPing giving him genuinely marketable if niche skills like Blacksmithing.

Is this the m'larder saga guy?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlC6qcQ_4BA

Plow plow plow plow plow plow plow plow plow plow plow and I can’t touch the plow, I’m plowed in to the plow, :banjo:

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 8, 2020

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I just bought a used Troy bilt chipper shredder last week. It's fun because you can toss a decent sized tree branch into it and tree dust comes out the bottom. Also, it sounds like the giant mentally deficient offspring of a jet engine and a garbage disposal and it pisses off my rear end in a top hat neighbor.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Idk about blacksmith, but remember the poopsmith?

Remember homestar runner????

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This thread just reminded me of the Goon who devoted his entire life to medieval LARP and was going broke paying for elaborate feasts for his fake knights on his gas station clerks salary despute his medievel LARPing giving him genuinely marketable if niche skills like Blacksmithing.

That was one of the best threads ever

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
He had like 10 different kinds of like salt or oil or something but couldn't afford rice or pasta lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Spinz posted:

Husband
Leather apron
Hobby forge

fantasy island
:swoon:

I figured you for the burly lumberjack type. I guess burly blacksmith works too.