Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Two things and you can get back to posting about how you use a belt sander to wipe your rear end due to covid tp shortages or whatever:

:siren: 1. Using retard or variations of it outside of proper useage when talking about timing will earn a probation - While most of use have made this adjustment ourselves, I'm making it a formal rule in AI for two reasons.
1) Its a thing assholes do, don't be an rear end in a top hat.
2) Its a thing in the rest of the forum, this is helping to bring us in line with them which is overdue.

:siren: 2. Using the word oval office will earn you a probation - Once again, not usually an issue as far as posters using it as a slur against women is concerned. It comes in where our Aussie contingent is involved. While I understand the context in which its appropriate for use in Australia, for much of the rest of the world it remains solely a derogatory term for women. Though most of us know who the common Aussie posters are, newcomers to the forum do not and it can be a jarring experience. One of AI's greatest strengths is its wide range of posters and we want to make it a welcoming environment for all new posters. The one exception to this rule will be if we wind up with a thread dedicated to specifically Australian cars/things or project threads where the op is Australian and makes note of it in their op.

There will be a short two week grace period to allow people who need it to adjust themselves to these rules. I'll be leaving the thread open for a bit for feedback and/or discussion. Shitpost at your own risk.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

:hfive:

I particularly appreciate how consistent this is with what you've said previously - Don't. Be. An. rear endholehat.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
If warnings are to be issued are they done just in the thread or will PM's also be sent?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If I see it during the grace period, I'll be giving a verbal reminder. Past that its fair game for anything from a warning on up depending on the context and frequency of the use.

Edit: I'm setting the grace period at 2 weeks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

1) can I still retard my engine timing?
2) can I still see you next Tuesday?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That was a bad joke and you should feel bad. :colbert:

Edit: though I should probably clarify point one or someone is gonna report it purely to be poo poo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elmnt80 posted:

Edit: though I should probably clarify point one or someone is gonna report it purely to be poo poo.

Much like when someone whined because AI was talking about pulling trannies. Context matters

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can you do a really severe probe for egregious uses? Someone in here made some reference to a gap or something being a c*nt-hair wide and it really grated on me for some reason.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have my threads here bookmarked and never would have seen the announcement, so nice one popping into a few threads to check in about it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Punishment will be based on context, poster's rap sheet, etc. Egregious examples will be punished harsher, etc.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Will these be actively looked for by the mods or just enforced when some thin-skinned seppo cracks the shits and reports people for not speakin' murrcan?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ili posted:

Will these be actively looked for by the mods or just enforced when some thin-skinned seppo cracks the shits and reports people for not speakin' murrcan?
Are you trying to trick someone into calling you a ... ooooooh, oooooh, almost. Almost, buddy.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I read most threads in AI and a handful in CA, but it doesn't matter how I come across it to me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

That was a bad joke and you should feel bad. :colbert:

Agree, I'm sorry. The devil made me do it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Can you do a really severe probe for egregious uses? Someone in here made some reference to a gap or something being a c*nt-hair wide and it really grated on me for some reason.

They're just parroting some youtuber's lovely rear end gimmick.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Are other genitalia fair game? Because that sounds a little inconsistent and very American. Just no cunts or helmets please.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It ain't about genitalia, its about not using words that demean women. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

My drill sergeant used this one all the time and it really stuck with me for a precise form of measurement. It's a lovely phrase tbh

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

500excf type r posted:

My drill sergeant used this one all the time and it really stuck with me for a precise form of measurement. It's a lovely phrase tbh

Just use pube hair instead.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Generalizing it as "a pubic hair's width" might work.... maybe? (no, don't do this)

Truth: I've not noticed a difference in the thickness of pubic hair between men or women. They both may as well be floss.

e: DAMNIT CT YOU STRALIAN .. poo poo.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 9, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

They're just parroting some youtuber's lovely rear end gimmick.

Nah, it's an extremely common thing to say in Britain and Australia. It's still crude as hell, but this forum isn't British or Australia-centric, and in North America the word is highly offensive.
Just don't go over there and start telling everyone about your fanny pack.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Finger Prince posted:

Just don't go over there and start telling everyone about your fanny pack.

Lol that's not offensive, you'll just get fucken laughed at

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fanny is rarely used in america, with the exception of talking about fanny packs.

Its maaaaaybe a word you might hear a very young kid use if their parents don't want them saying "butt" or you might hear it from a super conservative old person, but that's about it

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd like those of you wondering why I'm making rule 2 to consider some things.

Do you know who all the UK and Aussie goons in AI/CA are?
Does a new poster to the forum know who these posters are?
How are new posters going to react to language that may not be appropriate in their country being thrown around without any previous context to go on?

I had someone message me after becoming mod and they mentioned the language and it got me thinking. I started trying to see our forum how a new poster would. Is it welcoming? Would they feel comfortable posting? Is it tight knit or is it exclusionary? This forum is not specifically for americans, people from the UK, Australians or any other nationality. It should be open to anyone from any country. Is that gonna result in clashes? Yeah, obviously so. But we should be working to find the middle ground that we can all occupy to come together and talk about our dumb pursuit of cars, bikes and other vehicles that we love.

My job as I see it is to help cultivate that ground and make sure its the kind of place people want to post. I fully expect that some things I do are gonna get pushback and I welcome feedback (its part of why I've left this thread open), but at the end of the day I'm going to do what I feel is right to grow AI/CA as a community. If you feel I'm going the wrong way, you're welcome to present a reasoned argument and change my mind.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 9, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nah that's the right path forward. There were similar discussions in TFR a while back, and there was pretty widespread agreement to self-police language for those reasons. For example, the term "gear queer" I think is now being avoided.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

As said elsewhere, yes UK / Aussies don't like the language police and we bristle at it... but this is a US based site with the majority of the posters left leaning USA residents. And this is being handled in a way that even the Aussies are shrugging, asked for exemptions within their own threads because it just isn't worth climbing up on a hill and dying for otherwise. So loving what, we dont get to call people cunts outright? There's other ways to to suggest someone is being a dumb oval office that also can be more satisfying, especially when they trip over their own feet and prove your point.

"You read JRR Tolkein but you cant comprehend Roger Hargreaves" or the myriad insults of the Marx Brothers are good examples of not needing to flail about. Anyway, just call some one loving rear end in a top hat if you feel the need to be concise?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

I started trying to see our forum how a new poster would. Is it welcoming? Would they feel comfortable posting? Is it tight knit or is it exclusionary?

As long as they stay out of the general chat thread.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As said elsewhere, yes UK / Aussies don't like the language police and we bristle at it... but this is a US based site with the majority of the posters left leaning USA residents. And this is being handled in a way that even the Aussies are shrugging, asked for exemptions within their own threads because it just isn't worth climbing up on a hill and dying for otherwise.

That's kinda the way I see it, but not so much about the dreaded free speech police and more just the seppos asserting their language and culture as the default for anyone anywhere in the world. It's honestly pretty sad that people from other countries are just expected to give up their own culture because some Americans get upset words have different meanings in different countries. But it's probably not worth fighting a pitched battle over the right to talk on the internet the same way I would as in person.

Still sucks that even regional speech now needs to be boiled down to a fine paste and mixed with enough high fructose corn syrup to suit the north american palette, there's a certain depth in things like "The fucken dealership cross threaded my bash plate bolts and hit em with the rattle gun, it was an absolute oval office of a job to get them off again" that you just don't get with other words.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
e: all done, sorry about the kramer

dee eight fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 10, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As said elsewhere, yes UK / Aussies don't like the language police and we bristle at it... but this is a US based site with the majority of the posters left leaning USA residents. And this is being handled in a way that even the Aussies are shrugging, asked for exemptions within their own threads because it just isn't worth climbing up on a hill and dying for otherwise. So loving what, we dont get to call people cunts outright? There's other ways to to suggest someone is being a dumb oval office that also can be more satisfying, especially when they trip over their own feet and prove your point.
Yeah, I think it's utterly pathetic, but I'll tolerate the nonsense because I like it here.

Edit: Also, all of this:

ili posted:

That's kinda the way I see it, but not so much about the dreaded free speech police and more just the seppos asserting their language and culture as the default for anyone anywhere in the world. It's honestly pretty sad that people from other countries are just expected to give up their own culture because some Americans get upset words have different meanings in different countries. But it's probably not worth fighting a pitched battle over the right to talk on the internet the same way I would as in person.

Still sucks that even regional speech now needs to be boiled down to a fine paste and mixed with enough high fructose corn syrup to suit the north american palette, there's a certain depth in things like "The fucken dealership cross threaded my bash plate bolts and hit em with the rattle gun, it was an absolute oval office of a job to get them off again" that you just don't get with other words.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 10, 2020

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
The lack of representation for the use of oval office in Irish vernacular ITT is deeply hurtful

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

echomadman posted:

The lack of representation for the use of oval office in Irish vernacular ITT is deeply hurtful

So edgy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ili posted:

Agree with this completely

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, the more I think about this, the worse a decision it is.

Dropping "retard" from the general vernacular is fine, but there's no reason why people shouldn't be able to use "oval office" as freely as they do "gently caress".

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
what kind of community do you want to build here? i dont have the goal to get offended over your word use, but one as loaded as that one will still make me wince to read or hear. i make an effort not to hold it against foreigners using it, because it's probably less loaded to them. still, though, imagine someone rolling up to this forum, seeing it get thrown around, and immediately feeling out of place and leaving. im far from a moderator, but that's not the kind of experience i would want to promote. i wouldnt tell you off for saying it, but i see no reason not to make this place more welcoming to people who aren't like me. this is the least lovely car forum out there, after all, because we have moderation that actually moderates.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

what kind of community do you want to build here? i dont have the goal to get offended over your word use, but one as loaded as that one will still make me wince to read or hear. i make an effort not to hold it against foreigners using it, because it's probably less loaded to them. still, though, imagine someone rolling up to this forum, seeing it get thrown around, and immediately feeling out of place and leaving. im far from a moderator, but that's not the kind of experience i would want to promote. i wouldnt tell you off for saying it, but i see no reason not to make this place more welcoming to people who aren't like me. this is the least lovely car forum out there, after all, because we have moderation that actually moderates.

See this is the issue right here. This isnt America, this is the internet. I'm not in America so why should I have to conform to their social norms while I'm sitting in my living room? The world doesn't revolve around America. Try coming over here and tell us to stop saying oval office, you'll get laughed out of town

Besides it should be painfully obvious to anyone how the word is being used in context. I think we're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

See this is the issue right here. This isnt America, this is the internet.

You are on a US homed site, with US ownership and a majority US membership. It is a privately owned site. For instance Lowtax as the owner can do whatever he drat well wants and you have zero recourse, no cries about"this is the interwebs!!!!!" is going to cut it. Discrimination, racism and bigotry have been told to gently caress off, Nazis have been told to gently caress off. Go on, just try to run into GBS and scream something beginning with N that is associated with slavery and see just how far you get before you get thrown out. Calling people cunts is seen as bad as calling POC a bunch of of names I dont believe I need to say here so frankly given you are on a US based and owned site, it's actually been kinda cool people have been willing to listen to foreigners explain that hey we don't see this like they do and get to have exemptions. Frankly the ownership and admin group can flat say no and there is jack poo poo you can do about it - and they have absoluty the right to do it.

Raluek posted:

I very much agree with this and this is exactly Elmnt80's stated goal here. AI stands out because it makes an effort to be inclusive and welcoming to everyone who isnt a shitstain. We have a number of gay posters that have been made no other than 100% welcome, we WILL defend our Transgender posters and have them feel like they can be who they want to be here, we're a sausage fest but if women do pop in, we're inclusive of them too. . We have a long history of being regular people who in the end just want to hang out and occasionally swear at a car. Or two.Or seven.

The point we're a sauagefest talking about a female gendered insult isnt lost on me either.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Calling people cunts is seen as bad as calling POC a bunch of of names I dont believe I need to say here
It isn't, though. It really, really isn't, and if anyone genuinely believes that, then this is a very good opportunity to correct that misunderstanding.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

it's actually been kinda cool people have been willing to listen to foreigners explain that hey we don't see this like they do and get to have exemptions.
That's fine for you, as you're in the group offered an exemption.

The Brits weren't offered one, not because we don't say oval office pretty much just as vociferously as the Aussies, but because of an American limitation of the understanding of the word's use internationally.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Calling people cunts is seen as bad as calling POC a bunch of of names I dont believe I need to say

This is insanely not true. Like lol even in America I dont think this is true.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We have a long history of being regular people who in the end just want to hang out and occasionally swear at a car. Or two.Or seven.

This makes me laugh too cuz I was thinking about it yesterday and the only times that I even tend to say oval office irl is when I'm talking about a car or working on it so out of all the forums on this site AI is probably the most appropriate one to say oval office in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

At first I thought this was a bit much until someone informed me of how it’s used in the darker corners of the internet. Now I’m 100% fine with it. Assholes ruined the word.