Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

InitialDave posted:

Dropping "retard" from the general vernacular is fine, but there's no reason why people shouldn't be able to use "oval office" as freely as they do "gently caress".

why? sure, in much of the world, "retard" is pretty vile, but in New England everyone uses it and it's fine, they know it's not actually meant to be demeaning to people with disabilities.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

At first I thought this was a bit much until someone informed me of how it's used in the darker corners of the internet. Now I'm 100% fine with it. Assholes ruined the word.

yeah if you're not aware, "oval office" has been heavily co-opted by incels and people who advocated for and perpetrate violence against women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why? sure, in much of the world, "retard" is pretty vile, but in New England everyone uses it and it's fine, they know it's not actually meant to be demeaning to people with disabilities.
I dont actually want it not to be used, but I'm ok with it not being used, as there is a direct correlation between its current meaning and as a term for someone being mentally deficient, it's not just a generic insult in that sense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah if you're not aware, "oval office" has been heavily co-opted by incels and people who advocated for and perpetrate violence against women
Those are the kind of people I'd call cunts all day long though. gently caress their use of the term, it's not theirs to co-opt.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i struggle to understand how "oval office" isn't a gender based insult

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i struggle to understand how "oval office" isn't a gender based insult
Do you struggle with "dick", "knob", "tit", "bollocks" etc etc?

The point is, it's not used as a gender based insult. It's just an insult/curse word, you can use it in reference to anyone/anything, and in this use it's separate to its use as a slang term for vagina.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
This is actually quite amusing watching americans struggle to understand something as simple as the word oval office

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Incels are only known to insanely online people and their usage of the word does not have any impact whatsoever on its general use

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Do you struggle with "dick", "knob", "tit", "bollocks" etc etc?

The point is, it's not used as a gender based insult. It's just an insult/curse word, you can use it in reference to anyone/anything, and in this use it's separate to its use as a slang term for vagina.

yeah i mean the closest analogue in US insult catalog is probably pussy? in that yeah, when i've said it, it's definitely separate from a slang term for vagina, but it existed first as a slang term for vagina and draws a line between being a woman or feminine being bad. therefore i have tried to not use that word anymore and instead replaced it with something else! i don't get why y'all are so attached.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

fridge corn posted:

This is actually quite amusing watching americans struggle to understand something as simple as the word oval office

For us Americans reading the down under comments it’s kind of like watching a naive 10 year old talk about wearing their heritage not hate hat :)

Edit, side note: I’ve always preferred to limit the use of the word so it retained its offensive power. The overuse of the word gently caress has really watered down the impact. Joke’s on me, assholes ruined it instead.

Someone on an OG nerd forum from the late 90’s had “vulgarity is the crutch of the inarticulate motherfucker” in their signature and it always stuck with me. I think that same guy is on here, or at least was years ago.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 11, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't get why y'all are so attached.
You dont have to get it to accept it. It's a word we use as a curse word, its use as such is not misogynistic.

For my part, I really hate the term "queer", it properly grates on me as a homophobic term, and the adoption of it by the LGBT community doesn't change that.

But it just means I don't use it myself, other people using it in the context it has for them isn't for me to worry about.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

edit: you know what, never mind. this is a pointless discussion.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"retard" as a word is a curse word we use and its use as such is not ableist
Take that up with the person telling you it's use is probatable.

I'm not bothered.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah i mean the closest analogue in US insult catalog is probably pussy? in that yeah, when i've said it, it's definitely separate from a slang term for vagina, but it existed first as a slang term for vagina and draws a line between being a woman or feminine being bad. therefore i have tried to not use that word anymore and instead replaced it with something else! i don't get why y'all are so attached.

I've already made the point that pussy is a more problematic insult than oval office

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Lol dunno if this custom title is from this thread or another one

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Take that up with the person telling you it's use is probatable.

I'm not bothered.

orrrrrr you could just be an adult and stop using it? why is that such a horrific outcome?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also thanks for gendering me in this custom title fuckface :mad:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

orrrrrr you could just be an adult and stop using it? why is that such a horrific outcome?
I generally don't use "retard". If you wish to use it or not use it, go right ahead.

If you mean I could stop using "oval office", there's no reason for me to, any more than any other curse word.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

One more thing that just occurred to me - Shitbags like the people that ruined this flexible and insulting word use it as a manner of signaling and dog-whistling. I'd even give up the "gently caress" word if it meant starving these piles of stale semen of online oxygen.

Also, I know that incels are only known to the seriously internetted up, but if you think that doesn't apply to something awful slash dot com "holy poo poo there's a front page" then I have some unfortunate news for you.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I can't claim to know much about these extremely online people, but it seems like changing your speech because of a word they co-opted is actually empowering them.

Also while I knew this website was originated by an American, I always thought of the forums as extremely diverse and global. But then, I've seen that AI in particular has an issue with posters who don't agree with the group opinion.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Calling people cunts is seen as bad as calling POC a bunch of of names I dont believe I need to say here

InitialDave posted:

It isn't, though. It really, really isn't, and if anyone genuinely believes that, then this is a very good opportunity to correct that misunderstanding.

fridge corn posted:

This is insanely not true. Like lol even in America I dont think this is true.
It actually is true. The N-word is still worse, but the c-word is the only other word I'm aware of that meets John Mulaney's criteria.

I don't disagree with angryrobots' point (about not changing use because it empowers), but I see this as entirely separate, because this word has always been offensive here. That word is one of two words I'm aware of in American English that will almost absolutely result in a fight. You can call someone a retard* and they might get mad. You can even call someone a wetback* or a zipperhead* and they'll probably get mad. If you say "bitch" in front of your parents, you might get warned not to.

If you call a woman a [c-word], you absolutely will get punched. If you call a black person a [n-word]**, you absolutely will get punched. Rightfully so.

*: Please don't, it's offensive and dickish. And you still stand a decent chance of getting punched.
**: Unless you're in the South, but that's a whole separate issue. The c-word might actually be worse, there. (Not that it's actually worse, just people in the South will react to it more than they would the n-word)

e: added a "not" and an "almost".

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 11, 2020

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fridge corn posted:

See this is the issue right here. This isnt America, this is the internet. I'm not in America so why should I have to conform to their social norms while I'm sitting in my living room? The world doesn't revolve around America. Try coming over here and tell us to stop saying oval office, you'll get laughed out of town

Besides it should be painfully obvious to anyone how the word is being used in context. I think we're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist

Presumably, you would want to avoid being super lovely to Americans, particularly American women. If you had a word that was super insulting to you, but normal to me, I would try not to say it around you! Or in my living room, if it was said in a way where you might come across it, like if I said it on the internet.

It doesn't matter how you meant it. It matters how people will react to it, and if they will be hurt or put off by it. Assuming you're trying to build an inclusive community, which I'm not convinced you're on board with. That's why I started my previous post with a question.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

**: Unless you're in the South, but that's a whole separate issue. The c-word might actually be worse, there. (Not that it's actually worse, just people in the South will react to it more than they would the n-word)
That seems more a "racist shitheads" problem than one of "oval office" being worse than racist epiphets.

You reference the John Mulaney maxim yourself - the worse word is the one you don't even say. Though even that I've always seen as a little silly when it's extended to applying in the context of having what is effectively an academic discussion of the word, rather than "using" it.

Raluek posted:

Presumably, you would want to avoid being super lovely to Americans, particularly American women. If you had a word that was super insulting to you, but normal to me, I would try not to say it around you! Or in my living room, if it was said in a way where you might come across it, like if I said it on the internet.

It doesn't matter how you meant it. It matters how people will react to it, and if they will be hurt or put off by it. Assuming you're trying to build an inclusive community, which I'm not convinced you're on board with. That's why I started my previous post with a question.
Ok, that is a reasonable argument, and if you want to ask me not to use it, that will certainly be taken on board, and I'll try not to include it in posts. But what's happening here is an order that we do not use it, which grates particularly when coupled with it being ok for the Australians to use it in their domestic linguistic context, but other nationalities who do similar not getting that allowance.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Incels are only known to insanely online people

This was true right up until the point where they started doing literal terrorism

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

That seems more a "racist shitheads" problem than one of "oval office" being worse than racist epiphets.
That’s what I was alluding to, absolutely. The n-word is unquestionably worse, but people in the south think it’s fine.

InitialDave posted:

You reference the John Mulaney maxim yourself - the worse word is the one you don't even say. Though even that I've always seen as a little silly when it's extended to applying in the context of having what is effectively an academic discussion of the word, rather than "using" it.
Right - I think Louis Black said that by saying “the n-word” (as in, that specific phrase, NOT the actual word) you’re making ME think it. That being said, I’m white. I don’t get to use that word. And I’m 100% ok with that. We (as white people) attached too many horrible things to it to be able to turn around and now demand to say it, even under the pretense of academic discussions.

The point I think you may have missed (or I misunderstood) is that the c-word the only other word that I’m aware of that is also referenced this way. Literally the only American people I’ve ever met who will say the word (instead of “the c-word”) are insufferable assholes.

I get that it’s different for you guys, and that’s fine, but it’s A Really Bad Word here, CI wasn’t exaggerating, and all the points about inclusion are exactly right. There is a substantial part of the world where use of that word will strongly discourage men AND women from wanting to post here.

I get that being told what to do sucks, but this is a weird hill to die on. I know you WANT to say it. When I first learned that it wasn’t cool to refer to things as “gay”, I bristled too. That’s not how I use it.

I’ve since dropped it from my vocab and my life has not revolved around that once since.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

I get that being told what to do sucks, but this is a weird hill to die on.
I'm not dying on it. It is, however, my hill, and if you'll let the Aussies stay on theirs, you sure as poo poo can let everyone else do the same.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

There are some people whose whole identities revolve around being obstinately lovely. They're the people who lined up to climb Uluru the day it was banned, and they're the people yelling about "heritage not hate" in the US. They can gently caress right off as far as I'm concerned.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Safety Dance posted:

There are some people whose whole identities revolve around being obstinately lovely. They're the people who lined up to climb Uluru the day it was banned, and they're the people yelling about "heritage not hate" in the US. They can gently caress right off as far as I'm concerned.
You won't get any argument from me, but that's not what's being discussed.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I'm not dying on it. It is, however, my hill, and if you'll let the Aussies stay on theirs, you sure as poo poo can let everyone else do the same.
I mean, I have zero control over this forum. I do think it's hilarious that you guys don't seem to be aware that SA has a pretty long history of the admin team stepping in and saying "fine, you want to argue, it's now entirely bannable with no grace period to ever say this word, gently caress Australia in particular".

Which, at this point, I'd vote for. fridge corn is pretty much the king of bad takes (see above comments about incels) and that other guy isn't exactly selling his case arguing for his already secured ability to use a slur for women by pointedly using an Australian word that's apparently a slur for Americans.

If you want to argue for UK goons in UK specific threads to be able to use it, I doubt anyone would fight you, but that's not the impression you've given me.

Safety Dance posted:

This. Don't be this. (To be clear, InitialDave, I don't think you are, but some of the arguments here do largely seem to amount to "i'll call you cunts cunts if I cunting well want to, Cunnnnnnnts.")

there, I said it

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

If you want to argue for UK goons in UK specific threads to be able to use it, I doubt anyone would fight you, but that's not the impression you've given me.
Tbh I'm letting myself get excessively irritated about it due to work bullshit etc today, but fundamentally - if the word is so bad that absolutely no-one should use it, that position does not allow for the Aussies using it because of the different context, and having established that such an allowance can exist, said different context applies universally.

I would argue for not calling other posters cunts, while accepting that it gets used as a curse world in other contexts, is reasonable.

I would turn the debate to "twat", but then I'd have to deal with Americans pronouncing it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Tbh I'm letting myself get excessively irritated about it due to work bullshit etc today, but fundamentally - if the word is so bad that absolutely no-one should use it, that position does not allow for the Aussies using it because of the different context, and having established that such an allowance can exist, said different context applies universally.

I would argue for not calling other posters cunts, while accepting that it gets used as a curse world in other contexts, is reasonable.

I would turn the debate to "twat", but then I'd have to deal with Americans pronouncing it.
I've been getting excessively irritated about work and other bullshit because of, you know, the impending race war. So I understand.

Personally, I'd fall on the other side of that (I.e., don't use it at all, because of Elmnt's point about "would you know [poster] is australian without prior knowledge"), but would accept that as a reasonable compromise.

"Tw-AH-t"?
"Tw@"?
Wait, I know you guys drop the "t" sound entirely ... "wah"?

I'm not a huge fan of that word, but I don't think it has the same offensiveness, at least in the US. It's not a good word, for sure, but it's more vulgar than insulting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

"Tw-AH-t"?
"Tw@"?
Wait, I know you guys drop the "t" sound entirely ... "wah"?
At as in bat, so tw@.

Not "twot".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fridge corn posted:

This is insanely not true. Like lol even in America I dont think this is true

Hoe the gently caress are you so unread that you think the facts I laid out wasnt true?

Theres some loving bad arguments being made here all because some people cant build a bridge and get over it.

gently caress it Elmnt80 Im fine with outright banning oval office anywhere. Im not going to be used by bad faith posters for their disingenuous arguments. I tried to point out that the Aussies didnt kick up a pathetic stink and get butthurt because this site doesnt like a word but some people are taking this too far. This is NOT a hill to die on for me

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

If you call a woman a [c-word], you absolutely will get punched.

I don't think I've ever had the urge to call a woman a oval office. Men are much more likely to be cunts in my experience

E: lol which one of you did this

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 11, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ffs what is it that makes some people so whiney about being asked to maybe change their behavior a little to make others feel more welcome? Discussions on every news story about NASCAR today is full of the same attitudes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Im not going to be used by bad faith posters for their disingenuous arguments. I tried to point out that the Aussies didnt kick up a pathetic stink and get butthurt because this site doesnt like a word but some people are taking this too far. This is NOT a hill to die on for me
I am definitely not arguing in bad faith, and I don't regard anyone who has an opposing viewpoint to mine to be doing so either.

I genuinely do not feel the word is bad enough to need an outright ban, or that it is inherently misogynistic, and the only reason I single out Aussies as representative of the use of it "acceptably" is because Elmnt80 did so when he wrote this stuff up.

I will accept it if it's what ends up happening, but I'm still going to argue back against it first, because I dont agree with it. That doesn't mean I'm misogynistic or uncaring for the sensibilities of others, and I am perfectly capable of moderating my language use if I need to.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Ffs what is it that makes some people so whiney about being asked to maybe change their behavior a little to make others feel more welcome? Discussions on every news story about NASCAR today is full of the same attitudes.
The difference is the "it doesn't mean that here" argument is bollocks for the Confederate flag.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

InitialDave posted:

I am definitely not arguing in bad faith, and I don't regard anyone who has an opposing viewpoint to mine to be doing so either.

I'm more referring to Fridge Corn who frankly isnt worth replying to anymore

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

The difference is the "it doesn't mean that here" argument is bollocks for the Confederate flag.
Two different things can be offensive in two different ways which are both problematic, though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm more referring to Fridge Corn who frankly isnt worth replying to anymore
FTFY

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fridge corn is an rear end in a top hat with a sense of humor who likes pushing buttons. Even if I disagree with him he's a hell of a lot more interesting than half the white noise and :cloud: in here.

Like this:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I'm sure that any of the posters here arguing against (or about) the AI rule change are all for the NASCAR rule. That's a completely separate thing that you're stretching just to try and zing someone who is actually participating in this discussion.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

Two different things can be offensive in two different ways which are both problematic, though.
Yes, I understand that, and I understand that "oval office" can be really offensive to some (lraving out the obvious "it's a swear word, it's kind of meant to be").

The difference I see is that the Confederate flag is, well, literally flying the flag for everything the Confederates stood for, warts and all, that meaning is inherent to it and cannot be divorced from it, plus also that entire situation is Americans making decisions regarding their own, internal, home-grown culture, and it's very much their prerogative to do so.

You could probably have the Confederate flag put up here (and occasionally you do see it) without people losing their poo poo, but an American seeing it would be perfectly within their rights to have an "excuse me, what the gently caress?" Moment about it.

I actually have the opposite problem here,in that the genuine, ok to use English flag, St George's Cross, is somewhat associated with thick racist fuckwits, and I really wish it weren't, but luckily the Union Flag is still untainted enough for us other, non-lovely people.

Also people co-opting the pride flag for the NHS, which currently pisses me off quite a lot but that's a whole other derail.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

angryrobots posted:

Fridge corn is an rear end in a top hat with a sense of humor who likes pushing buttons. Even if I disagree with him he's a hell of a lot more interesting than half the white noise and :cloud: in here.
I'd love to see an example of this sense of humor because he's always seemed like a tryhard edgelord to me.

angryrobots posted:

I'm sure that any of the posters here arguing against (or about) the AI rule change are all for the NASCAR rule. That's a completely separate thing that you're stretching just to try and zing someone who is actually participating in this discussion.
Why are you sure of this? I mean, limiting down to the posters in this thread, sure, maybe. I have doubts about a couple, but sure. But in AI in general? There are at least two people who openly and proudly support Trump, there's one who was banned for a long history of open racism recently, and a LOT who "well I'm just asking like you know why I'm not gonna be racist I'm just asking why".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

angryrobots posted:

Uh no, chief. I made no statement that people who want a pass to say the c-word are the same as people who are confederate flag enthusiasts. The response is the same in that there is a certain tone of whining that pops up when people are asked to make a pretty minor change to behavior in order to be a little more welcoming. You can compare two different things that are both unpleasant on different scales and to different people without saying they’re literally the same.