Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elmnt80 posted:

But thats where the issue lies. In north america its a slur, in Australia/UK/NZ its generally not. Like I've said, sure, I'm usually going to be able to understand the context. But is a new poster? They don't know you're an aussie/brit/kiwi/etc, odds are they're american/canadian and get the wrong impression of the forum in general.
Honest answer?

Ask us to not use it in the "generic traffic" areas for the benefit of American sensibilities, and knock off any "this word is inherently misogynistic" bollocks, and I suspect we're all probably ok to go along with that for the good of the forum.

It's picking a direct fight over linguistics with us when it's our own language, and the undertone that we hate women for daring to use it that's effectively starting some poo poo here.

Plus accept that because it's relatively natural language for us, like a high-cut pair of shorts, occasionally something might slip out that you'd rather not see. We don't mean anything by it, and we expect you to be intelligent enough to disseminate "I've had a oval office of a day" from yelling "Oi! Cuntflaps!" across the room at the new girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I also vote to change the rules thread title to "Don't be an arsehat"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

angryrobots posted:

I also vote to change the rules thread title to "Don't be an arsehat"
We just say "arse", the "hat" only flows well with "asshat".

Or, per the line from Hot Fuzz, "don't go being a twat now".

And yes, from experience, you can instruct that as a baseline rule for behaviour to 1000+ people at an event in the UK and have the only reaction be them applaud you for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
look i get that there are cultural differences but from this side the non-NA position appears to be "gently caress you we'll do what we want" which is like, fine? i guess? but you all don't really seem to be making any earnest attempt to understand why random people wandering in to this forum who aren't part of your culture might find it off putting

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

We just say "arse", the "hat" only flows well with "asshat".

I could have sworn there was an AU goon who used that phrase!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

look i get that there are cultural differences but from this side the non-NA position appears to be "gently caress you we'll do what we want" which is like, fine? i guess? but you all don't really seem to be making any earnest attempt to understand why random people wandering in to this forum who aren't part of your culture might find it off putting

I'm guessing it's hard for posters in other countries to get over "The Americans yet again demand special exceptions from us". The request, despite it's good intent, is tainted by the stigma that we have earned by a long history of being Americans.

If I read that wrong, sorry in advance.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I get that I just find it hilarious coming from British people especially.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah I get that I just find it hilarious coming from British people especially.

Why?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You’re joking, right?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

You’re joking, right?

No, please explain

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

fridge corn posted:

No, please explain
oh, man, comedy classic. angryrobots must be rotflmao

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

fridge corn posted:

No, please explain

Krakkles posted:

wow.... Made this thread worth reading.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rdb posted:

wow.... Made this thread worth reading.
You’re right, and i should be better than that. I assumed that fridge corn was doing his bit where “he makes some of y’all froth at the mouth”, but maybe he actually is totally unaware of British imperialism.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

You’re right, and i should be better than that. I assumed that fridge corn was doing his bit where “he makes some of y’all froth at the mouth”, but maybe he actually is totally unaware of British imperialism.

I am quite aware of british imperialism however I was not aware that every british person is apparently responsible for it

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Has anyone ever said it on MCM? I think Al may have once way back but I might be misemembering. Sure makes a difference in approachability for them.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

fridge corn posted:

I am quite aware of british imperialism however I was not aware that every british person is apparently responsible for it
But every US citizen is responsible for that thing that started this?

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Has anyone ever said it on MCM? I think Al may have once way back but I might be misemembering. Sure makes a difference in approachability for them.
Or Top Gear?

I agree.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

But every US citizen is responsible for that thing that started this?

No, I was under the assumption that angryrobots original comment was referring to Americans tendency to be aggressively ignorant of everything that goes on outside of america

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

fridge corn posted:

No, I was under the assumption that angryrobots original comment was referring to Americans tendency to be aggressively ignorant of everything that goes on outside of america
And KYOON’s comment was about the British tendency to force their culture on other cultures, yes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Krakkles posted:

And KYOON’s comment was about the British tendency to force their culture on other cultures, yes.

not saying americans don't do that either mind you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fridge corn posted:

lol you can very easily replace this with britons and the uk

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

every culture is equally worthless

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

100%. This, basically:

stevobob posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Krakkles posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh Looooooooooooooooord

stevobob posted:

Aussies are uncultured swine to begin with.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No poo poo :v:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Elmnt80 posted:

in Australia/UK/NZ its generally not. Like I've said, sure, I'm usually going to be able to understand the context. But is a new poster? They don't know you're an aussie/brit/kiwi/etc, odds are they're american/canadian and get the wrong impression of the forum in general.

They should be able to tell when we talk about the new tyres and the nice grey colour we're going to paint the Aluminium bonnet and boot lid on our right hand drive cars.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 14, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Was that post even in english, whats going on oh god.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It should boil down to context, if someone is being explicitly called a oval office as an insult, that's bad and shouldn't happen - but it's the same for any other generic insult really, and this forum doesn't ban insults, because if you're gonna ban one then you're gonna have to ban them all

if it's general usage (which a lot of people in the world use it for), then who cares, move on

different parts of the world have different uses for words and american english is absolutely not the definitive usage of those words, and words should not be tailored towards american sensibilities, irrespective of where in the world the servers are hosted, because the forums have a lot of different people in them from all over the world.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Was that post even in english, whats going on oh god.

I wish to formally deny the rumour Elmnt80 is in any way related to KaptainBallistik

That we know of.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I got a SOCOM scout and twenty extra mags and a couple severed heads in my bug-out bag i scream as I climb up a pile of schoolkids shot to death and spinkick some dumb sheepshagger who once called a rusty bolt a oval office. i'm an american! gently caress yeah! context is for pussies

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Haven't you cunts got better poo poo to do at the moment than whinge about the words we choose to use.

I mean, you definitely should.

You're a resourceful people, and if you have to focus on poo poo that doesn't matter while the power of your empire wanes then please invent a seedless raspberry that will grow in a mediterannean climate.

Beaucoup Haram fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 14, 2020

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm the custom titles spreading the seppo naughty word wide and far

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Honest answer?

Always

quote:

Ask us to not use it in the "generic traffic" areas for the benefit of American sensibilities, and knock off any "this word is inherently misogynistic" bollocks, and I suspect we're all probably ok to go along with that for the good of the forum.

It's picking a direct fight over linguistics with us when it's our own language, and the undertone that we hate women for daring to use it that's effectively starting some poo poo here.

Plus accept that because it's relatively natural language for us, like a high-cut pair of shorts, occasionally something might slip out that you'd rather not see. We don't mean anything by it, and we expect you to be intelligent enough to disseminate "I've had a oval office of a day" from yelling "Oi! Cuntflaps!" across the room at the new girl.

I've spent the last 4+ years in retail management where I've had managers above me on my rear end for being too kind in a position of authority. To say its had an effect on how I handle authority positions is understating it a bit. And to be quite frank, given some of the responses I get the feeling I'd still be having these discussions no matter if I asked or just said to.

And yes, like anything, it would be handled with a range of responses from "hey, please don't do that" to a probe where the length of time depends depends on a wide range of actions. Its how I've handled what reports we've had so far and how I plan to continue handling them to the best of my ability.

And I do hope that you all realize that if these positions were reversed and it was americans saying something that our aussie/uk posters found sexist/racist/etc, I'd being figuring out how to make it gently caress off out of this forum. As I've said, I want this to be a place that ANYONE can post about their unnatual urge to shove a big block into an opel gt or whatever other automotive bullshit makes them happy. Part of that to me is having us think about what we post and how it extends beyond our own cultures.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Elmnt80 posted:

And I do hope that you all realize that if these positions were reversed and it was americans saying something that our aussie/uk posters found sexist/racist/etc, I'd being figuring out how to make it gently caress off out of this forum. As I've said, I want this to be a place that ANYONE can post about their unnatual urge to shove a big block into an opel gt or whatever other automotive bullshit makes them happy. Part of that to me is having us think about what we post and how it extends beyond our own cultures.

And that's where we differ because if I found someone saying something that I personally found offensive, I'd ask them to stop, and if they didn't, I'd simply ignore it and move on.

You can't censor the whole world to meet your own sensibilities.

But I don't think that this is a conversation where you're actively seeking feedback, I think this is just you telling people how things are going to be so take my opinion in the spirit that it's offered.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

something that our aussie/uk posters found sexist/racist/etc,

TBH there was something a couple of weeks ago that really took me aback as it was somethign you would absolutly get decked for saying it here but yet wasnt remarked on by anyone else? I just kinda figured it's use elsewhere wasn't as vicious as it is here.

About the only thing I can think of offhand is calling First Australians Abbos. Thats loving truly vile.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

tithin posted:

You can't censor the whole world to meet your own sensibilities.

But I don't think that this is a conversation where you're actively seeking feedback, I think this is just you telling people how things are going to be so take my opinion in the spirit that it's offered.

Ah but oval office you neglect to realise that we're dealing with Americans, the world police, so of course it us who must change on this international comedy forum.

"When I walked in here, the sign above the door said 'Comedy Club' not 'Synagogue' so I'm going to say what the gently caress I like, bitch" - Charlie Murphy

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

I honestly find american cultural imperialism offensive.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

DumbparameciuM posted:

Ah but oval office you neglect to realise....

Audible guffaw over here

God we use the word so much here it has taken on a life of its own. I live near a particularly high foot traffic area and have heard it as people come a cropper on their bike or skateboards atleast once or twice a month.

It really wouldn't be Aussie English without it

The question was posed earlier up if we would call someone in America a oval office, and yeah credit where credit is due that person would be really be asking for it.

There is something to be said for not using it the oval office hair example hit a nerve of performanative excessiveness that IRL. I might have words today about, or a gentleman's agreement to keep that poo poo self quarantined

Alternatively someone else mentioned disallowing all gendered insults, no calling someone a pussy or a tit. Which feels like an equal compromise that leaves everyone equally unhappy. But honestly that's the only way I see this circle squared. If the issue is the genderising if the word then cock dick and pussy gotta go too

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Being a oval office on the internet was what i was born into dont take that away from me

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Thanks for providing so many examples of being an irredeemable and humorless poo poo person in one place. Next time, will you low-key call me a racist again, based on absolutely nothing?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Krakkles posted:

It actually is true. The N-word is still worse, but the c-word is the only other word I'm aware of that meets John Mulaney's criteria.

I don't disagree with angryrobots' point (about not changing use because it empowers), but I see this as entirely separate, because this word has always been offensive here. That word is one of two words I'm aware of in American English that will almost absolutely result in a fight. You can call someone a retard* and they might get mad. You can even call someone a wetback* or a zipperhead* and they'll probably get mad. If you say "bitch" in front of your parents, you might get warned not to.

If you call a woman a [c-word], you absolutely will get punched. If you call a black person a [n-word]**, you absolutely will get punched. Rightfully so.

*: Please don't, it's offensive and dickish. And you still stand a decent chance of getting punched.
**: Unless you're in the South, but that's a whole separate issue. The c-word might actually be worse, there. (Not that it's actually worse, just people in the South will react to it more than they would the n-word)

e: added a "not" and an "almost".

Using either of those words in direct anger in the american south will not only get you dropped it will get you dropped by bystanders who weren't even part of the argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shame on an IGA posted:

Using either of those words in direct anger in the american south will not only get you dropped it will get you dropped by bystanders who weren't even part of the argument

oval office