Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can you do a really severe probe for egregious uses? Someone in here made some reference to a gap or something being a c*nt-hair wide and it really grated on me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nah that's the right path forward. There were similar discussions in TFR a while back, and there was pretty widespread agreement to self-police language for those reasons. For example, the term "gear queer" I think is now being avoided.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ffs what is it that makes some people so whiney about being asked to maybe change their behavior a little to make others feel more welcome? Discussions on every news story about NASCAR today is full of the same attitudes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

angryrobots posted:

I'm sure that any of the posters here arguing against (or about) the AI rule change are all for the NASCAR rule. That's a completely separate thing that you're stretching just to try and zing someone who is actually participating in this discussion.

Uh no, chief. I made no statement that people who want a pass to say the c-word are the same as people who are confederate flag enthusiasts. The response is the same in that there is a certain tone of whining that pops up when people are asked to make a pretty minor change to behavior in order to be a little more welcoming. You can compare two different things that are both unpleasant on different scales and to different people without saying they’re literally the same.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

angryrobots posted:

I did not refer to any of HJL's previous posts, just that one? I think you are reading too far into what I posted - I'm saying that accusing the persons posting in this thread of whining is not cool. Comparing them to NASCAR racists was just some extra flair.

The fact that you agree with his sentiment doesn't make it not lovely, here.

As to the corn thing, I'M asking "why do I need to defend who I find amusing or not", here or anywhere else? As if you're the arbiter of AI posting? From previous experience, my personal opinion is that yeah you do think that, so admittedly it was a leading question that has no place in this thread. I won't bring it up again and doubt I have anything else to say about anything here.

The fact remains that making a comparison between two separate groups of people bristling at a pretty minor request in a similar way is not in any way saying they’re the same.

But even if I was, what of it? Use of the c-word as a derogatory word for women is not at all a new niche thing for incels like some people seem to believe. I’ve heard it used and I’ve heard a handful of women get really upset about it before the internet garbage people were even a thing. Unintentional misogyny is still misogyny, same as unintentional racism is still racism. I grew up in the south with the confederate flag everywhere. Seeing it equated with racism didn’t happen till I was in my 20s, but that doesn’t change the connection. I’m pretty sure I had one on a shirt and owned a handful of Lynyrd Skynyrd albums. So when reasonable people say “Hey, that symbol/word is associated with some terrible beliefs,” other reasonable people way “Ok, it’s probably best to not cling to it even if it doesn’t mean that to me.”

And again, since it really seems to be the sticking point for you, I am hereby acknowledging that systemic racism and the confederate flag and the history associated with it are a much larger and worse problem than a crude gendered insult that doesn’t carry the same connotation to entire countries. Getting petulant about a request to bring a progressive idea into a community still has the same tone regardless though.

At the same time, nobody is here screeching about evil misogynists calling women c*nts, it was pretty rationally stated.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jestery posted:

Cock ,oval office , dick, pussy, tits are all in the same ballpark. I would be happier with a more general "gendered coarse language" for clarity rather than a singular word ban with contextual exceptions

I like using “tits” as a stand in for “extremely good,” but I think this is a fine rule and acknowledge that while convenient and evocative, “tits” is still gendered and objectifying and can easily strike it from my vocabulary IRL and here.