Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

InitialDave posted:

Dropping "retard" from the general vernacular is fine, but there's no reason why people shouldn't be able to use "oval office" as freely as they do "gently caress".

why? sure, in much of the world, "retard" is pretty vile, but in New England everyone uses it and it's fine, they know it's not actually meant to be demeaning to people with disabilities.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

At first I thought this was a bit much until someone informed me of how it's used in the darker corners of the internet. Now I'm 100% fine with it. Assholes ruined the word.

yeah if you're not aware, "oval office" has been heavily co-opted by incels and people who advocated for and perpetrate violence against women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i struggle to understand how "oval office" isn't a gender based insult

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Do you struggle with "dick", "knob", "tit", "bollocks" etc etc?

The point is, it's not used as a gender based insult. It's just an insult/curse word, you can use it in reference to anyone/anything, and in this use it's separate to its use as a slang term for vagina.

yeah i mean the closest analogue in US insult catalog is probably pussy? in that yeah, when i've said it, it's definitely separate from a slang term for vagina, but it existed first as a slang term for vagina and draws a line between being a woman or feminine being bad. therefore i have tried to not use that word anymore and instead replaced it with something else! i don't get why y'all are so attached.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

edit: you know what, never mind. this is a pointless discussion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Take that up with the person telling you it's use is probatable.

I'm not bothered.

orrrrrr you could just be an adult and stop using it? why is that such a horrific outcome?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i don't have an issue with fridge corn's posting or whatever, i just disagree with them about this

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

look i get that there are cultural differences but from this side the non-NA position appears to be "gently caress you we'll do what we want" which is like, fine? i guess? but you all don't really seem to be making any earnest attempt to understand why random people wandering in to this forum who aren't part of your culture might find it off putting

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I get that I just find it hilarious coming from British people especially.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Krakkles posted:

And KYOON’s comment was about the British tendency to force their culture on other cultures, yes.

not saying americans don't do that either mind you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fridge corn posted:

No, I was under the assumption that angryrobots original comment was referring to Americans tendency to be aggressively ignorant of everything that goes on outside of america

lol you can very easily replace this with britons and the uk

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

InitialDave posted:

I can't help but feel that the lack of reaction to this (it really is a term I've not heard in a long time) more reflects the Americans not being aware of it than it being considered ok by them. Not gonna stop you, but I'm not sure it's helping.

it's mostly that we know it's a bunch of idiots trying to get a rise out of people so they can go "teehee told u all stupid Americans are overly sensitive just look!!!"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DumbparameciuM posted:

It's almost as if you seppos trying to censor a word specifically because of how we use it would, I dunno, raise our ire somewhat?

sorry you're super triggered about people not wanting you to use a word that they think is offensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

suggestion: word filter that automatically replaces "oval office" with "MY CULTURE :britain: :hf: :australia:"