Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Genuinely never heard oval office being used to insult a woman outside of the US. I've heard it in US TV/films used in a shocking insult a woman manner and from American guys in general used to insult women online though. America still sees it as a highly edgy word for some reason.

oval office to me and the men and women I know is just a body part swear like cock and arsehole. oval office is the upgraded version of fanny when you want to express more intense dislike.

Ultimately I don't use it much in text but it's very much a word that has different intent depending on who is reading it and where they're from. UK and Aussies won't take a second glance whereas America will act like it's the worst word you could ever type out or say.

Here endeth my rambling about a word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Krakkles posted:

So it sounds like it DOES refer to the same body part that it does here - if that's the case, it kind of kicks the legs out of "it's not a gender thing".

It's a body part a particular sex has. What I said was that in the US it definitely seems to be a word used primarily to put women down. It's different here for sure, my best friend (a woman) will happily call me and everyone else a oval office when the mood takes her. A couple of my exes hated the word pussy and used oval office instead...

I read your reply and asked another lady friend of mine how she feels about it:

quote:

It's one of my favourite swears. Nothing can describe your feelings more than oval office.
You cheated on me? You loving oval office
This maths equation is a oval office
My cunting cat poo poo in the bath again.

No worse than dick or cock.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is a oval office

It's definitely a cultural thing. :v:

*edit: as if to prove a point another lady friend of mine has literally just posted this on Facebook:

https://twitter.com/thomas_violence/status/1002373759167107073?s=19

And again to prove my point the Dave Chappelle covid comedy thing has him calling Laura Ingraham a oval office... America uses it as a gendered insult. America is and has the problem.

https://twitter.com/Irv_Do/status/1271330112093356036?s=19

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 12, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I mean the same friend I quoted also said that anything she stubs her toe on is a oval office. I'm not 100% sure how that one is gendered. It's now a general word that depending on context means different things, that's why it's used so much.

For context, stick oval office into the search bar on twitter and see how the word is used. You'll see it aimed mostly at terrible men by other men and also lots of women. It is quite literally only the USA, land of the free, home of the brave that actually use it in a misogynistic manner. It's not like it's the first time you lot have misunderstood English words...

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 12, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I too would call a oval office a oval office. Note that I'd never call a woman a oval office because I'm not American.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This thread has made me want to watch Trainspotting again for the first time in over 20 years.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

not saying americans don't do that either mind you

No poo poo :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I have a media censoring question, I always remember watching WWF back in the day and they'd censor the word rear end but wrestlers could say bitch... What was up with that? I've also just watched a Danny Brown interview and gently caress is censored but the n word is not. I DON'T GET IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

UK/Aus: "the use of the word has evolved past being a misogynistic term"

US: "that's impossible because that's all we use it for"