Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Banning a word irregardless of the context used is a loving stupid rule especially when that word has different meanings/impact internationally

I've just read the forum rules. You have put in Rule 6. Language and are just interpreting it to ban the use of individual words?

This should just say "Rule 1 - No Hate speech - don't be Racist/homophobic/abelist/misogynistic/transphobic/sexist".

I don't give a poo poo about what exact words people use to do this just ban the sentiments. It should be pretty obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Krakkles posted:

A particular group of people solely possess that body part, and used pejoratively, it demeans that group of people.

So can we not call someone a "dick" or a "dickhead" too?

calling someone a 'tit' is a fairly common insult over here too...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Elmnt80 posted:

I could reword it to no hate speech and it would have the same intent in my mind. If it makes it clearer for other people I can change that.

I do wanna ask though, would those of you in the UK/Straya/etc call someone a oval office in public if you were in america visiting? If not, why?

Its the specific word ban that we object to. Take that out and do a proper rule that bans all hate speech instead and there would be absolutely no complaints.

Whether or not anybody in the USA agrees with it, we have different vocabulary and language standards in the UK/AUS and this in an international forum even if the servers and Lowtax are in the US.
It shouldn't need a specific location exemption for a rule, it just requires that anybody (and you as the mod) should be able to read and apply context and common sense to a sentence rather than just finding one word in it.

I wouldn't call a random person in the street a oval office to their face while at home OR in the US (Unless they had just spilt my drink or trodden on my toes without apologising).
I also never remember to change any words when I speak to Americans so once in conversation would happily describe someone (generally a politician or media broadcaster) as a oval office or describe an unpleasant task/job as a oval office. The last time i visited the US I had a very confusing conversation with a guy when I was looking for a "crowbar".