Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Two things and you can get back to posting about how you use a belt sander to wipe your rear end due to covid tp shortages or whatever:

:siren: 1. Using retard or variations of it outside of proper useage when talking about timing will earn a probation - While most of use have made this adjustment ourselves, I'm making it a formal rule in AI for two reasons.
1) Its a thing assholes do, don't be an rear end in a top hat.
2) Its a thing in the rest of the forum, this is helping to bring us in line with them which is overdue.

:siren: 2. Using the word oval office will earn you a probation - Once again, not usually an issue as far as posters using it as a slur against women is concerned. It comes in where our Aussie contingent is involved. While I understand the context in which its appropriate for use in Australia, for much of the rest of the world it remains solely a derogatory term for women. Though most of us know who the common Aussie posters are, newcomers to the forum do not and it can be a jarring experience. One of AI's greatest strengths is its wide range of posters and we want to make it a welcoming environment for all new posters. The one exception to this rule will be if we wind up with a thread dedicated to specifically Australian cars/things or project threads where the op is Australian and makes note of it in their op.

There will be a short two week grace period to allow people who need it to adjust themselves to these rules. I'll be leaving the thread open for a bit for feedback and/or discussion. Shitpost at your own risk.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

If I see it during the grace period, I'll be giving a verbal reminder. Past that its fair game for anything from a warning on up depending on the context and frequency of the use.

Edit: I'm setting the grace period at 2 weeks.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That was a bad joke and you should feel bad. :colbert:

Edit: though I should probably clarify point one or someone is gonna report it purely to be poo poo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Punishment will be based on context, poster's rap sheet, etc. Egregious examples will be punished harsher, etc.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I read most threads in AI and a handful in CA, but it doesn't matter how I come across it to me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It ain't about genitalia, its about not using words that demean women. Don't be an rear end in a top hat.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd like those of you wondering why I'm making rule 2 to consider some things.

Do you know who all the UK and Aussie goons in AI/CA are?
Does a new poster to the forum know who these posters are?
How are new posters going to react to language that may not be appropriate in their country being thrown around without any previous context to go on?

I had someone message me after becoming mod and they mentioned the language and it got me thinking. I started trying to see our forum how a new poster would. Is it welcoming? Would they feel comfortable posting? Is it tight knit or is it exclusionary? This forum is not specifically for americans, people from the UK, Australians or any other nationality. It should be open to anyone from any country. Is that gonna result in clashes? Yeah, obviously so. But we should be working to find the middle ground that we can all occupy to come together and talk about our dumb pursuit of cars, bikes and other vehicles that we love.

My job as I see it is to help cultivate that ground and make sure its the kind of place people want to post. I fully expect that some things I do are gonna get pushback and I welcome feedback (its part of why I've left this thread open), but at the end of the day I'm going to do what I feel is right to grow AI/CA as a community. If you feel I'm going the wrong way, you're welcome to present a reasoned argument and change my mind.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 9, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yes, I genuinely do want discussion on this topic and I am carefully reading all your posts on the matter and considering what you have to say. This is why I left the thread open and openly invited ya'll to post. My personal views are very obviously influenced by me being american and yeah, my moderating decisions are going to reflect that. I also try to realize that we likely have one of the largest ratios of non americans to americans on something awful and my moderating also has to reflect that as well.

Edit: To be clear, I am realizing that rule two needs to be adjusted and didn't expect it go fully unchanged. As I said, I'm listening to what ya'll have to say and considering in what direction to move AI.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 12, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tomarse posted:

Banning a word irregardless of the context used is a loving stupid rule especially when that word has different meanings/impact internationally

I've just read the forum rules. You have put in Rule 6. Language and are just interpreting it to ban the use of individual words?

This should just say "Rule 1 - No Hate speech - don't be Racist/homophobic/abelist/misogynistic/transphobic/sexist".

I don't give a poo poo about what exact words people use to do this just ban the sentiments. It should be pretty obvious.

I could reword it to no hate speech and it would have the same intent in my mind. If it makes it clearer for other people I can change that.

I do wanna ask though, would those of you in the UK/Straya/etc call someone a oval office in public if you were in america visiting? If not, why?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Tomarse posted:

Its the specific word ban that we object to. Take that out and do a proper rule that bans all hate speech instead and there would be absolutely no complaints.

Whether or not anybody in the USA agrees with it, we have different vocabulary and language standards in the UK/AUS and this in an international forum even if the servers and Lowtax are in the US.
It shouldn't need a specific location exemption for a rule, it just requires that anybody (and you as the mod) should be able to read and apply context and common sense to a sentence rather than just finding one word in it.

I wouldn't call a random person in the street a oval office to their face while at home OR in the US (Unless they had just spilt my drink or trodden on my toes without apologising).
I also never remember to change any words when I speak to Americans so once in conversation would happily describe someone (generally a politician or media broadcaster) as a oval office or describe an unpleasant task/job as a oval office. The last time i visited the US I had a very confusing conversation with a guy when I was looking for a "crowbar".

But thats where the issue lies. In north america its a slur, in Australia/UK/NZ its generally not. Like I've said, sure, I'm usually going to be able to understand the context. But is a new poster? They don't know you're an aussie/brit/kiwi/etc, odds are they're american/canadian and get the wrong impression of the forum in general.

And yeah, I probably should have had the rule not exempt aussies only, but rather the multitude of countries that use it. My goal was to have it out of the common areas where people from every country are mixing. For threads dealing with those countries where its considered acceptable, (project threads, discussions about cars in those countries, etc) I have no issue with people from those countries using it.

Also, how the gently caress did that dumbass not know what a crowbar is? Thats the proper name of the tool!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Trainspotting is a hard movie to watch. Opiates are a hell of a drug.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Was that post even in english, whats going on oh god.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

InitialDave posted:

Honest answer?

Always

quote:

Ask us to not use it in the "generic traffic" areas for the benefit of American sensibilities, and knock off any "this word is inherently misogynistic" bollocks, and I suspect we're all probably ok to go along with that for the good of the forum.

It's picking a direct fight over linguistics with us when it's our own language, and the undertone that we hate women for daring to use it that's effectively starting some poo poo here.

Plus accept that because it's relatively natural language for us, like a high-cut pair of shorts, occasionally something might slip out that you'd rather not see. We don't mean anything by it, and we expect you to be intelligent enough to disseminate "I've had a oval office of a day" from yelling "Oi! Cuntflaps!" across the room at the new girl.

I've spent the last 4+ years in retail management where I've had managers above me on my rear end for being too kind in a position of authority. To say its had an effect on how I handle authority positions is understating it a bit. And to be quite frank, given some of the responses I get the feeling I'd still be having these discussions no matter if I asked or just said to.

And yes, like anything, it would be handled with a range of responses from "hey, please don't do that" to a probe where the length of time depends depends on a wide range of actions. Its how I've handled what reports we've had so far and how I plan to continue handling them to the best of my ability.

And I do hope that you all realize that if these positions were reversed and it was americans saying something that our aussie/uk posters found sexist/racist/etc, I'd being figuring out how to make it gently caress off out of this forum. As I've said, I want this to be a place that ANYONE can post about their unnatual urge to shove a big block into an opel gt or whatever other automotive bullshit makes them happy. Part of that to me is having us think about what we post and how it extends beyond our own cultures.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

InitialDave posted:

I have a manager like that, guess what word can be guaranteed to come up when asking people for their opinion of his attitude and behaviour?

I can generally get people to do what's needed by asking them to and explaining why. I have the capacity to enforce my will on others, but I very rarely need to exercise it. When people refuse to do what I'm asking, there's usually a reason I need to dig into, and often it stops me making a bad call.

I never said it was a good style, just that its been drilled into my head. When I started I generally had the second style like you mention, then got criticized by my boss for being soft. It was lovely. vOv

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I can post pictures of kangaroos if it'll make you feel more like home.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

simplefish posted:

What's the mod position on spastic?

Not really a fan, but also can't remember the last time I saw anyone use it. This may be piss poor memory on my part though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

quote:

6. Hate Speech

This isn't a 1950's rural backwoods shop. Racist, homophobic, abelist, mysoginistic and transphobic language isn't welcome.

A note for Australians/Brits/etc: In threads dealing specifically with topics in countries where its acceptably to say oval office or project threads started by a resident of those countries where the op indicates they are fine with it in the op, its fine. Please do not use it when posting in the broader subforum.

I've reworded it to include other countries and be phrased as a request. I'd say you can resume whatever you were posting about, but maybe be nicer to each other than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Alrighty then. I feel this has been open long enough to let the people that wanted to make a point or suggestion make it and we're down to arguements going in circles with no resolution in sight. Locking this.