Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

DumbparameciuM posted:

Ah but oval office you neglect to realise....

Audible guffaw over here

God we use the word so much here it has taken on a life of its own. I live near a particularly high foot traffic area and have heard it as people come a cropper on their bike or skateboards atleast once or twice a month.

It really wouldn't be Aussie English without it

The question was posed earlier up if we would call someone in America a oval office, and yeah credit where credit is due that person would be really be asking for it.

There is something to be said for not using it the oval office hair example hit a nerve of performanative excessiveness that IRL. I might have words today about, or a gentleman's agreement to keep that poo poo self quarantined

Alternatively someone else mentioned disallowing all gendered insults, no calling someone a pussy or a tit. Which feels like an equal compromise that leaves everyone equally unhappy. But honestly that's the only way I see this circle squared. If the issue is the genderising if the word then cock dick and pussy gotta go too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I dunno I just feel like there is a false equivalency at play between 150 year old symbol of a racist people and a word that is in common use a that went to a high court 3 years ago and was deemed inoffensive enough that I can wear a sandwich board in public and not be fined

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Elmnt80 posted:

The one exception to this rule will be if we wind up with a thread dedicated to specifically Australian cars/things or project threads where the op is Australian and makes note of it in their op.

I actually don't mind this, and having islands of Aussieness is a funny concept.

It is however, tacit acceptance that it isn't the gendered nature of the word, it is the prudish nature of the mods and website as a whole. Which is ok, I'm a fan of more effort posting.

Cock ,oval office , dick, pussy, tits are all in the same ballpark. I would be happier with a more general "gendered coarse language" for clarity rather than a singular word ban with contextual exceptions

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Elmnt80 posted:

Not really a fan, but also can't remember the last time I saw anyone use it. This may be piss poor memory on my part though.

It's in that annoying pit of previously a medical definition.

Fwiw I work in special ed and have a tic disorder myself and I wouldn't abide by some one describing the kids I work is as spastic.

But if someone described something mechanical that was jerking around in an uncontrolled manner Infront of me I could only say "yeah I guess that is what I do"

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Spot on. The amount of people getting mad here is quite astounding to be honest.

I'm not anti the ban, like in the cspam trump thread banned retard and the quality of posting skyrocketed, it breeds creativity. Australian cultural language even has rhyming slang for exactly this,"Dropkick" is used in polite company.

Like it's so incredibly linked with Aussie culture, it's used by our internal state advertising agencies , My mother will use it to describe a particularly snide politician ,we see it in our media and on protest signs.

I just think that anything other than a blanket gendered coarse language is an unwelcome value judgement and just American exceptionalism.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I mean, the point of argument is not to dominate or win

it is to find the fundamental point of disagreement

To which lots of people have ceded that yes is is gendered, but no more than the many insults that pepper the English language.

The point of disagreement seems to be that the largely american posters believe it to be more insulting than those other words which are deemed accepted for a so far arbitrary reason

Clearly the discourse has devolved somewhat but this is where is got to before name calling started

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Krakkles posted:

I mean, I’m 100% on board with get rid of all of them. I suspect the reason for this one (instead of all of them) is that it’s the one directed at a particular oppressed group, and yes, it’s particularly offensive in some regions.

Cock and dick aren’t issues because men haven’t spent all of history being oppressed. Tits probably isn’t because it’s not really negative?

I mean something can go tits up
And there is the whole can of worms of pussy
And twat which is like oval office-lite
This list can continue but I won't.

I agree that the difference/ acceptable double-standard (I don't know a better way than this) than is that the history of the associated group

I think the clearest, most bang for buck for buck "chuck it in bold on the sticky" solution is just gently caress those words off , and goons get more creative with writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

suggestion: word filter that automatically replaces "oval office" with "MY CULTURE :britain: :hf: :australia:"

Honestly this seems like the most productive path towards a solution