Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Finger Prince posted:

Just don't go over there and start telling everyone about your fanny pack.

Lol that's not offensive, you'll just get fucken laughed at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ili posted:

That's kinda the way I see it, but not so much about the dreaded free speech police and more just the seppos asserting their language and culture as the default for anyone anywhere in the world. It's honestly pretty sad that people from other countries are just expected to give up their own culture because some Americans get upset words have different meanings in different countries. But it's probably not worth fighting a pitched battle over the right to talk on the internet the same way I would as in person.

Still sucks that even regional speech now needs to be boiled down to a fine paste and mixed with enough high fructose corn syrup to suit the north american palette, there's a certain depth in things like "The fucken dealership cross threaded my bash plate bolts and hit em with the rattle gun, it was an absolute oval office of a job to get them off again" that you just don't get with other words.

Agree with this completely

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

what kind of community do you want to build here? i dont have the goal to get offended over your word use, but one as loaded as that one will still make me wince to read or hear. i make an effort not to hold it against foreigners using it, because it's probably less loaded to them. still, though, imagine someone rolling up to this forum, seeing it get thrown around, and immediately feeling out of place and leaving. im far from a moderator, but that's not the kind of experience i would want to promote. i wouldnt tell you off for saying it, but i see no reason not to make this place more welcoming to people who aren't like me. this is the least lovely car forum out there, after all, because we have moderation that actually moderates.

See this is the issue right here. This isnt America, this is the internet. I'm not in America so why should I have to conform to their social norms while I'm sitting in my living room? The world doesn't revolve around America. Try coming over here and tell us to stop saying oval office, you'll get laughed out of town

Besides it should be painfully obvious to anyone how the word is being used in context. I think we're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Calling people cunts is seen as bad as calling POC a bunch of of names I dont believe I need to say

This is insanely not true. Like lol even in America I dont think this is true.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

We have a long history of being regular people who in the end just want to hang out and occasionally swear at a car. Or two.Or seven.

This makes me laugh too cuz I was thinking about it yesterday and the only times that I even tend to say oval office irl is when I'm talking about a car or working on it so out of all the forums on this site AI is probably the most appropriate one to say oval office in

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

This is actually quite amusing watching americans struggle to understand something as simple as the word oval office

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah if you're not aware, "oval office" has been heavily co-opted by incels and people who advocated for and perpetrate violence against women

Incels are only known to insanely online people and their usage of the word does not have any impact whatsoever on its general use

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah i mean the closest analogue in US insult catalog is probably pussy? in that yeah, when i've said it, it's definitely separate from a slang term for vagina, but it existed first as a slang term for vagina and draws a line between being a woman or feminine being bad. therefore i have tried to not use that word anymore and instead replaced it with something else! i don't get why y'all are so attached.

I've already made the point that pussy is a more problematic insult than oval office

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Lol dunno if this custom title is from this thread or another one

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also thanks for gendering me in this custom title fuckface :mad:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

If you call a woman a [c-word], you absolutely will get punched.

I don't think I've ever had the urge to call a woman a oval office. Men are much more likely to be cunts in my experience

E: lol which one of you did this

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 11, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I think the thing that makes this such a curious moderating decision is that there is literally no one in this sub forum who uses or would use the c word as a gendered slur. They would immediately be called out on it.

Everyone can at least recognise the difference between that and when an aussie or brit uses the word even if their tiny american minds cant understand what that difference is. This is reflected in the fact that there has been made an exception for Aussies (and only aussies which shows again a lack of understanding).

So what actual effect will this ban on the c word have? Virtually none, except to piss off a few long standing posters and create a skeptical regard to future moderating decisions.

C:words:

fridge corn fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 12, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

My dude there was just a discussion about c-hairs as a unit of measurement in the chat thread. Turns out some people are very strongly in favor of that. A c-hair explicitly refers to a woman's pubic hair. It's a gendered slur that people were happily using here just a few weeks ago.

I'm not worried about that as we have a perfect backup measurement of a gnat's cock which is more or less equivalent

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

This isn’t anyone misunderstanding words. It’s the exact same bad faith argument I made when I was, like, 14, about why “gay” is totally fine to use in the way I was using it.

Gay refers to a group of people and when used pejoratively it demeans that group of people. oval office just refers to a body part and I dont really see how a non-sentient object can be demeaned in such a way

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

A particular group of people solely possess that body part, and used pejoratively, it demeans that group of people.

If that's the case why aren't we banning all the other pejorative terms for that body part

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

I do wanna ask though, would those of you in the UK/Straya/etc call someone a oval office in public if you were in america visiting? If not, why?

If I'm in a situation that had escalated to the point where I felt that insulting someone to their face was a warranted course of action i dont think I'd think twice about using the word oval office

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah I get that I just find it hilarious coming from British people especially.

Why?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

You’re joking, right?

No, please explain

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

You’re right, and i should be better than that. I assumed that fridge corn was doing his bit where “he makes some of y’all froth at the mouth”, but maybe he actually is totally unaware of British imperialism.

I am quite aware of british imperialism however I was not aware that every british person is apparently responsible for it

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

But every US citizen is responsible for that thing that started this?

No, I was under the assumption that angryrobots original comment was referring to Americans tendency to be aggressively ignorant of everything that goes on outside of america

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CainFortea posted:

So people's defense of using that word is about heritage of their language, not hate of women?

No the defense is that in its general use outside of the Puritan States of America it is not a misogynistic word at least not any more so than a host of similar words which are curiously not the subject of bans

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

I feel like there's two main reasons not to say it.

The first is that it's an incredibly insulting thing to call a woman in some parts of the world, and I think we all agree not to use it in this way. This is complicated by being at least mildly shocking or off-putting to see it in other contexts if you're from the USA.

The second is that using a word that refers to women and their anatomy to mean "bad" isn't a very feminist/progressive tack, as it associates femininity with whatever bad thing. This association holds even if you're not using it to attack a woman. It's like how people (myself included, unfortunately) used to use "f-gg-t" to mean "person I don't like" 15 years ago. It's not being used to refer to gay people, so it's OK, right? Well, no. It's using a word that is a pejorative term for a disadvantaged group to just mean "bad," and anyone who's had the word hurled at them in anger before will bristle at its use in any context. We don't say this anymore, regardless of context, so why hold onto the c-word so tightly? Even if you ignore the American baggage that comes with it, it still carries some negative gender-based connotations.

Thanks for kramering into the thread to post this long as post making the same loving argument that's been debunked over 9000 times now

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

It's quite amusing that it's the americans moralising at us when they're the only ones who actually use oval office as a misogynistic slur

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Nobody has told me yet why we aren't banning twat pussy gash minge et al

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I've changed my mind, we must ban the offensive word to save the Americans from their own ignorance

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

People aren't arguing in good faith, you simply agree with their arguments.

This has some strong "you think society is unjust yet you participate in society hmmm" energy right here

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

I suspect not, but by way of illustration: it took 3 pages to get to the fact that the word does actually hold the same technical definition elsewhere, and 3 later, people are still arguing (as they were before) that it has absolutely nothing to do with women. This isn't just disparate views.

"nah, it doesn't have anything to do with women"
"well yeah I mean a [c-word] is a vagina, yeah"
"nah, still doesn't have anything to do with women"

Unless you just mean the pro-c-word contingent has been very clear that they have no intention of reaching an agreement, and thereby are not negotiating in bad faith because they're certainly not pretending that they do.

Just because the word can refer to a female body part doesn't necessarily make it misogynistic as a matter of course. Unless you are offended by the mere idea of a vagina which I am beginning to think you are

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Oh no, fridge corn thinks I’m gay!

That's not what I said at all. How did you even manage to come to such a conclusion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

And I fully support the idea of probations for usage of gendered curse words that aren’t genuinely clever.

So we are allowed to be mysoginistic as long as were sufficiently clever?