Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Will these be actively looked for by the mods or just enforced when some thin-skinned seppo cracks the shits and reports people for not speakin' murrcan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As said elsewhere, yes UK / Aussies don't like the language police and we bristle at it... but this is a US based site with the majority of the posters left leaning USA residents. And this is being handled in a way that even the Aussies are shrugging, asked for exemptions within their own threads because it just isn't worth climbing up on a hill and dying for otherwise.

That's kinda the way I see it, but not so much about the dreaded free speech police and more just the seppos asserting their language and culture as the default for anyone anywhere in the world. It's honestly pretty sad that people from other countries are just expected to give up their own culture because some Americans get upset words have different meanings in different countries. But it's probably not worth fighting a pitched battle over the right to talk on the internet the same way I would as in person.

Still sucks that even regional speech now needs to be boiled down to a fine paste and mixed with enough high fructose corn syrup to suit the north american palette, there's a certain depth in things like "The fucken dealership cross threaded my bash plate bolts and hit em with the rattle gun, it was an absolute oval office of a job to get them off again" that you just don't get with other words.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

I could reword it to no hate speech and it would have the same intent in my mind. If it makes it clearer for other people I can change that.

I do wanna ask though, would those of you in the UK/Straya/etc call someone a oval office in public if you were in america visiting? If not, why?

Maybe? I doubt I'd walk up to a stranger and call them a oval office, nor would I do that here. It would be the same as calling a stranger a prick, dickhead, fuckwit etc and I'm not really the type to start arguments (or an "aggro oval office" as we would put it).

But in its other uses as a negative/neutral/positive word for a third party ("this loving oval office cut me off/let's go see the cunts down at Volkswagen and ask for a twofer/he's a good oval office that fella") or as a standin word for any object or action ("gently caress I just rounded this oval office off/give us a hand with this oval office/I miss my old hilux that oval office was unfuckenbreakable")? Absolutely, in any social situation where proper swearing is appropriate.

Same applies on the internet I reckon. You'd only call someone a oval office in an argument/discussion if they were being an absolute fuckwit, but use it in all those other forms without thinking twice.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Elmnt80 posted:

And I do hope that you all realize that if these positions were reversed and it was americans saying something that our aussie/uk posters found sexist/racist/etc, I'd being figuring out how to make it gently caress off out of this forum. As I've said, I want this to be a place that ANYONE can post about their unnatual urge to shove a big block into an opel gt or whatever other automotive bullshit makes them happy. Part of that to me is having us think about what we post and how it extends beyond our own cultures.

I honestly find american cultural imperialism offensive.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

I'd say it's more ridiculous to liken someone to a confederate supporter for using a word that, from an Australian context, has been described in a NSW district court appeal as:

As a matter of law, the impugned word is not necessarily offensive, even when used in a public place: Dalton at 555.

The impugned word is often used as a derogatory term to describe a person of any gender. In this use, it is best described as an expletive, rather than as an intensive or it being used for its literal significance.

And:

The impugned word is now more prevalent in everyday language than it has previously been. It is commonplace in movies and television entertainment, although it is not without restriction in that context. The impugned word is of ancient English origin and featured in Shakespeare’s Hamlet. The prevalence of the impugned word in Australian language is evidence that it is considered less offensive in Australia than other English speaking countries, such as the United States. However, that also appears to be changing as is evidenced from the increase in American entertainment content featuring the impugned word.

References to the impugned word are often included in print media, usually a reference to a direct quote with the “u” or the “un” removed. This treatment of the word does little to alleviate the meaning to be conveyed and is directed more at decorum than avoiding offence that may be caused by the publication of the impugned word.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Krakkles posted:

You’re using a word for female anatomy to mean bad. I know you think you’re not talking about women, but the language you’re using is absolutely still misogynistic.

That's the good stuff right there. The rest of the world is wrong and we should all laud captain seppo for turning up and amsplaining our own drat language to us.

ili fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

InitialDave posted:

We had reached an agreement as far as I can see, the adjustment Elmnt80 has made to the rule's wording seems like it reflects the intent of what he wants to achieve while still allowing for the reasons the original wording wasn't acceptable to many of us.

Trying to push even further with US-centric moral absolutism on the issue isn't going to advance matters, it's just going to result in you continuing to try and state that the word can only be taken in one way, while others continue to tell you you're wrong.

The issue is that your side of that is accusing people of being misogynistic when they genuinely aren't, and so of course you'll get pushback, because that is a far worse accusation than simply being unaware of global variances in language.

Solid agree with this mate. It's fairly hard to have a decent discussion when there's a bunch of people accusing anyone who doesn't speak their dialect of misogyny and likening them to racist slavery-supporters based solely on their inability to accept American english is not used worldwide.