Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It should boil down to context, if someone is being explicitly called a oval office as an insult, that's bad and shouldn't happen - but it's the same for any other generic insult really, and this forum doesn't ban insults, because if you're gonna ban one then you're gonna have to ban them all

if it's general usage (which a lot of people in the world use it for), then who cares, move on

different parts of the world have different uses for words and american english is absolutely not the definitive usage of those words, and words should not be tailored towards american sensibilities, irrespective of where in the world the servers are hosted, because the forums have a lot of different people in them from all over the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Elmnt80 posted:

And I do hope that you all realize that if these positions were reversed and it was americans saying something that our aussie/uk posters found sexist/racist/etc, I'd being figuring out how to make it gently caress off out of this forum. As I've said, I want this to be a place that ANYONE can post about their unnatual urge to shove a big block into an opel gt or whatever other automotive bullshit makes them happy. Part of that to me is having us think about what we post and how it extends beyond our own cultures.

And that's where we differ because if I found someone saying something that I personally found offensive, I'd ask them to stop, and if they didn't, I'd simply ignore it and move on.

You can't censor the whole world to meet your own sensibilities.

But I don't think that this is a conversation where you're actively seeking feedback, I think this is just you telling people how things are going to be so take my opinion in the spirit that it's offered.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

*sigh*

It's really quite depressing that despite attempts by some posters to debate reasonably we have insults thrown about instead. I have no idea how Elmnt80 hasnt just nuked what *should* have been a relatively peaceful discussion that has turned into proving who in this thread is removing any doubt they are a cockwomble

He opened this discussion in good faith, we owe it back to act in the same

People are arguing in good faith, you simply disagree with their arguments.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Krakkles posted:

People aren't arguing in good faith, you simply agree with their arguments.

I fail to see how we can reconcile this view.
I may agree with their arguments, but I have a mind of my own, if I thought your arguments held sway I would reconsider my opinion.

Holding disparate views from one another does not mean the other person is arguing in bad faith.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

They very much are not. I'm quite able to read them for what they are and ooooh boy, there aint much good faith going on here - and besides *MY* argument has been this is not worth climbing a hill and dying for. Which some ya'll are very much taking out that flag and daring anyone to take a shot.

It's posts like this that absolutely scream arguing in bad faith, because there is no argument here - purely an expectation of "Of course I'm right and you know it", there's no points to argue, there's no discussion to be had.

I have made arguments in this thread, I have made reasonable cogent points, and they have been summarily ignored in favour of arguing that I am arguing in bad faith?

I encourage you to go through my post history and find how many times I use the word - I minimise its usage because I recognise it offends yank sensibilities, and that's fine, because I recognise that in different parts of the world it carries a negative value, so I don't use it in yank heavy spaces where the usage of the word can cause umbrage - this being said, in threads with a uk or, or au usage of the word? go hog wild - because it does not carry the same negative connotations in those space

the vast majority of the arguments against it so far are purely from a petty moralising perspective, an appeal to a shared sense of "this is clearly wrong"

the entire point of arguing in good faith requires that you actually make an argument, rather than wringing your hands and saying "but you know better" - I know it offends you and others, so I keep it to a minimum, but it's still wearisome to be told that the mere existence or usage of the word itself is verboten because in your part of the world, it's offensive

There's a lot about american word usage and culture I personally find offensive, but if I went off and demanded unilateral changes to the forums as a result of that, I'd be rightfully laughed off, and in prior times I would probably even be helldumped and doxxed for having the temerity to do so

tithin fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 15, 2020