Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm just a dumb ol' my way or the highway puritan American so keep that in mind while I clutch my pearls and cancel my culture but goddamn am I quite surprised at people getting all bent out of shape at being asked to use a different word. Just use a different word, it isn't hard? Is it?
I get the "wow stop banning things that doesn't work instead treat context" argument but still, you're being asked to use a different word. I can't really understand how that is the same as existing in Australia with your """mates"""" and having a flowing conversation in real time and gotta be all up on your toes about wording but you are posting on something awful dot com. It's text in a box that your dumb rear end should be previewing to make sure whatever garbage you're going to unleash at least looks right. Use that time to go "maybe I can use my vast non-american intellect to come up with an exciting new word and be cool on the internet instead of using the same crutch as always" and be creative maybe. Give it a shot and wow you might surprise yourself in fun and exciting ways.

Automotive Insanity isn't the USA but it sure as poo poo isn't Australia or England or whatever other country you want to derive your e-culture from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

trouser chili posted:

Language is slippery, ban a word and someone will come up with another way to make the same statement without it. Or a use context of the word that doesn't match the context of the intent you are attempting to curb, such as above.

I think you'll find using another word in the same context as how every Australian uses the word oval office is impossible, welcome to the debate :eng101:

It isn't the rule that gets me, it's the complete lack of creativity being shown. I wasn't unaware that saying oval office in a cool Australian way was, as far as I can tell, an extremely important way to speak culturally via text on the internet.
It's like, how do you know I was a shithead high school kid in the late 90s if I wasn't calling all my friends faggots and gay? It wasn't sexual, it was just a cool term of endearment for my friends and didn't mean anything outside of that, we never got in trouble or asked to stop because it was 1999 and I was in the depths of the mid-western United States and gay panic was just how some humor worked. Not anymore, but I'm sure I could find a pocket of people using it in that context to this day. I bet I could find an Australia's population worth of people in the US that still talk like that.

What makes a thread Australian? Is it if the OP is Australian? If most of the people posting in it are Australian? If someone was born there but later moved away, is that cool? What if they weren't born there originally but now live there? If they are married to someone from there is that ok? Realistically you aren't going to have a nice time with a "Rule, but exceptions" because assholes are intentionally going to skirt whatever it is they can in order to be assholes. Hot takes, "but my parents say I can say it", bad faith arguments, the whole drat thing. IF oval office is so crucial to people's internet culture then so be it, let everyone say it and go by context. When someone steps out of line obliterate them from the sky because this isn't a democracy it's the internet and unfortunately we don't actually have a say in how this place is run :colbert: