Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elmnt80 posted:

Edit: though I should probably clarify point one or someone is gonna report it purely to be poo poo.

Much like when someone whined because AI was talking about pulling trannies. Context matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

500excf type r posted:

My drill sergeant used this one all the time and it really stuck with me for a precise form of measurement. It's a lovely phrase tbh

Just use pube hair instead.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

As said elsewhere, yes UK / Aussies don't like the language police and we bristle at it... but this is a US based site with the majority of the posters left leaning USA residents. And this is being handled in a way that even the Aussies are shrugging, asked for exemptions within their own threads because it just isn't worth climbing up on a hill and dying for otherwise. So loving what, we dont get to call people cunts outright? There's other ways to to suggest someone is being a dumb oval office that also can be more satisfying, especially when they trip over their own feet and prove your point.

"You read JRR Tolkein but you cant comprehend Roger Hargreaves" or the myriad insults of the Marx Brothers are good examples of not needing to flail about. Anyway, just call some one loving rear end in a top hat if you feel the need to be concise?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

See this is the issue right here. This isnt America, this is the internet.

You are on a US homed site, with US ownership and a majority US membership. It is a privately owned site. For instance Lowtax as the owner can do whatever he drat well wants and you have zero recourse, no cries about"this is the interwebs!!!!!" is going to cut it. Discrimination, racism and bigotry have been told to gently caress off, Nazis have been told to gently caress off. Go on, just try to run into GBS and scream something beginning with N that is associated with slavery and see just how far you get before you get thrown out. Calling people cunts is seen as bad as calling POC a bunch of of names I dont believe I need to say here so frankly given you are on a US based and owned site, it's actually been kinda cool people have been willing to listen to foreigners explain that hey we don't see this like they do and get to have exemptions. Frankly the ownership and admin group can flat say no and there is jack poo poo you can do about it - and they have absoluty the right to do it.

Raluek posted:

what kind of community do you want to build here? i dont have the goal to get offended over your word use, but one as loaded as that one will still make me wince to read or hear. i make an effort not to hold it against foreigners using it, because it's probably less loaded to them. still, though, imagine someone rolling up to this forum, seeing it get thrown around, and immediately feeling out of place and leaving. im far from a moderator, but that's not the kind of experience i would want to promote. i wouldnt tell you off for saying it, but i see no reason not to make this place more welcoming to people who aren't like me. this is the least lovely car forum out there, after all, because we have moderation that actually moderates.

I very much agree with this and this is exactly Elmnt80's stated goal here. AI stands out because it makes an effort to be inclusive and welcoming to everyone who isnt a shitstain. We have a number of gay posters that have been made no other than 100% welcome, we WILL defend our Transgender posters and have them feel like they can be who they want to be here, we're a sausage fest but if women do pop in, we're inclusive of them too. . We have a long history of being regular people who in the end just want to hang out and occasionally swear at a car. Or two.Or seven.

The point we're a sauagefest talking about a female gendered insult isnt lost on me either.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

fridge corn posted:

This is insanely not true. Like lol even in America I dont think this is true

Hoe the gently caress are you so unread that you think the facts I laid out wasnt true?

Theres some loving bad arguments being made here all because some people cant build a bridge and get over it.

gently caress it Elmnt80 Im fine with outright banning oval office anywhere. Im not going to be used by bad faith posters for their disingenuous arguments. I tried to point out that the Aussies didnt kick up a pathetic stink and get butthurt because this site doesnt like a word but some people are taking this too far. This is NOT a hill to die on for me

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I am definitely not arguing in bad faith, and I don't regard anyone who has an opposing viewpoint to mine to be doing so either.

I'm more referring to Fridge Corn who frankly isnt worth replying to anymore

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Krakkles posted:

And KYOON’s comment was about the British tendency to force their culture on other cultures, yes.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh Looooooooooooooooord

stevobob posted:

every culture is equally worthless

Aussies are uncultured swine to begin with.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Was that post even in english, whats going on oh god.

I wish to formally deny the rumour Elmnt80 is in any way related to KaptainBallistik

That we know of.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

something that our aussie/uk posters found sexist/racist/etc,

TBH there was something a couple of weeks ago that really took me aback as it was somethign you would absolutly get decked for saying it here but yet wasnt remarked on by anyone else? I just kinda figured it's use elsewhere wasn't as vicious as it is here.

About the only thing I can think of offhand is calling First Australians Abbos. Thats loving truly vile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

There really is some weird rear end tangents being used to justify using a word that are branching into the ridiculous. And this really isnt a hill worth dying on but yet.....

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

*sigh*

It's really quite depressing that despite attempts by some posters to debate reasonably we have insults thrown about instead. I have no idea how Elmnt80 hasnt just nuked what *should* have been a relatively peaceful discussion that has turned into proving who in this thread is removing any doubt they are a cockwomble

He opened this discussion in good faith, we owe it back to act in the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

tithin posted:

People are arguing in good faith, you simply disagree with their arguments.

They very much are not. I'm quite able to read them for what they are and ooooh boy, there aint much good faith going on here - and besides *MY* argument has been this is not worth climbing a hill and dying for. Which some ya'll are very much taking out that flag and daring anyone to take a shot.