Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

I started trying to see our forum how a new poster would. Is it welcoming? Would they feel comfortable posting? Is it tight knit or is it exclusionary?

As long as they stay out of the general chat thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I can't claim to know much about these extremely online people, but it seems like changing your speech because of a word they co-opted is actually empowering them.

Also while I knew this website was originated by an American, I always thought of the forums as extremely diverse and global. But then, I've seen that AI in particular has an issue with posters who don't agree with the group opinion.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fridge corn is an rear end in a top hat with a sense of humor who likes pushing buttons. Even if I disagree with him he's a hell of a lot more interesting than half the white noise and :cloud: in here.

Like this:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Ffs what is it that makes some people so whiney about being asked to maybe change their behavior a little to make others feel more welcome? Discussions on every news story about NASCAR today is full of the same attitudes.

I'm sure that any of the posters here arguing against (or about) the AI rule change are all for the NASCAR rule. That's a completely separate thing that you're stretching just to try and zing someone who is actually participating in this discussion.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I'd love to see an example of this sense of humor because he's always seemed like a tryhard edgelord to me.
Why are you sure of this? I mean, limiting down to the posters in this thread, sure, maybe. I have doubts about a couple, but sure. But in AI in general? There are at least two people who openly and proudly support Trump, there's one who was banned for a long history of open racism recently, and a LOT who "well I'm just asking like you know why I'm not gonna be racist I'm just asking why".

I did limit it to those I have seen arguing so far in this thread, and their right to do so in this thread. I think it's bullshit for someone to pop in and accuse them of 'whining'. I don't even necessarily disagree with the rule change, but I do disagree with someone demeaning them for doing so.

As to fridge corn, why is it necessary for me to explain why sometimes I think he's funny? Do you decide when someone is allowed to post here? If he breaks a rule he gets to take a break. Yeah I do find humor in his ability to make some of y'all froth at the mouth.

This thread is for discussion about the rule change, per the person who posted it. You're making GBS threads on the posters here discussing it and attempting to silence them by comparing them to racists.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Krakkles posted:

It's pretty disingenuous to say that HJL "popped in and accused them of 'whining'". He's posted just as much in here as you have, and constructively.

I was genuinely asking what I'm missing about fridge corn's posts, but it seems like it's his edgelord stuff that you find amusing. That's an answer, so thanks.

I find it really interesting that you attack me asking a genuine question ("why is it necessary for me to explain why sometimes I think he's funny? Do you decide when someone is allowed to post here?") while simultaneously defending the people fighting against the rule put down by the people who actually do decide things like that. It's very confused libertarian ... Like, your question is invalid because you don't have authority, but also, how dare those in authority exercise that authority?
He equated inconsiderate outrage about limiting terrible means of expression, which makes perfect sense to me. He didn't say anything that implied or denoted that any of the edgelords who just have to say the c-word is a racist.

I did not refer to any of HJL's previous posts, just that one? I think you are reading too far into what I posted - I'm saying that accusing the persons posting in this thread of whining is not cool. Comparing them to NASCAR racists was just some extra flair.

The fact that you agree with his sentiment doesn't make it not lovely, here.

As to the corn thing, I'M asking "why do I need to defend who I find amusing or not", here or anywhere else? As if you're the arbiter of AI posting? From previous experience, my personal opinion is that yeah you do think that, so admittedly it was a leading question that has no place in this thread. I won't bring it up again and doubt I have anything else to say about anything here.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Perhaps I misunderstood your usage of "popped in". Judging by the rest of what you say (i.e. "admittedly it was a leading question that has no place in this thread"), I guess you didn't mean it literally, but as a weird negging thing - "your opinion is invalid because you haven't contributed".

No. I never said any of that dude. I never said that his previous posts had any bearing on the one I took issue with, and they don't.

Also I don't have any knowledge of whatever racists you have been involved in, so I'm not arguing with you about whatever it is you're talking about.

I have an issue with you for exactly the poo poo you're pulling right now.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Yes, I genuinely do want discussion on this topic and I am carefully reading all your posts on the matter and considering what you have to say. This is why I left the thread open and openly invited ya'll to post. My personal views are very obviously influenced by me being american and yeah, my moderating decisions are going to reflect that. I also try to realize that we likely have one of the largest ratios of non americans to americans on something awful and my moderating also has to reflect that as well.

Edit: To be clear, I am realizing that rule two needs to be adjusted and didn't expect it go fully unchanged. As I said, I'm listening to what ya'll have to say and considering in what direction to move AI.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I also vote to change the rules thread title to "Don't be an arsehat"

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

InitialDave posted:

We just say "arse", the "hat" only flows well with "asshat".

I could have sworn there was an AU goon who used that phrase!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

look i get that there are cultural differences but from this side the non-NA position appears to be "gently caress you we'll do what we want" which is like, fine? i guess? but you all don't really seem to be making any earnest attempt to understand why random people wandering in to this forum who aren't part of your culture might find it off putting

I'm guessing it's hard for posters in other countries to get over "The Americans yet again demand special exceptions from us". The request, despite it's good intent, is tainted by the stigma that we have earned by a long history of being Americans.

If I read that wrong, sorry in advance.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Krakkles posted:

oh, man, comedy classic. angryrobots must be rotflmao

Thanks for providing so many examples of being an irredeemable and humorless poo poo person in one place. Next time, will you low-key call me a racist again, based on absolutely nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think the auto-replace thing has come up in other threads, and iirc the forums are too broken for it.

KakerMix posted:

It isn't the rule that gets me, it's the complete lack of creativity being shown.

I don't disagree with this in reference to the gendered "dirty" words in most contexts. I've always thought that describing something as "tits" was gross.

KakerMix posted:

I wasn't unaware that saying oval office in a cool Australian way was, as far as I can tell, an extremely important way to speak culturally via text on the internet.

But I don't think "saving their culture, but online" is what most of the posters arguing to keep the c-word are really concerned about. They do mention how commonly the word is used (in a non hate speech way), but it's to demonstrate how grating it is to be sorta unapologetically called misogynists by Americans of all groups. I believe that most of the posters arguing FOR banning the word think that it's implicit that they don't think this, and are incredulous that these c-word posters don't appreciate how their speech can affect someone unintentionally.

Tl;Dr - I'd also be ok with probations for all lame gendered curse words and dirty expressions, because you can do better. There should be exceptions for anything genuinely clever.