Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Burkion posted:

Man I was the first one to get Argento out there, I had to save it for someone

Yea some major names have already gotten out there. I'mma have to do a deep dive into foreign horror again so that we get some foreign directors in specifically Chinese CAT 3 stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hollismason posted:

Can't believe I'm the first to do this but here it goes:

Herschell Gordon Lewis

1. Blood Feast
2. Monster A Go-Go
3. Two Thousand Maniacs
4. The Wizard of Gore
5. A Taste of Blood
6. The Gore Gore Girls

I'm gonna be completely honest, and maybe this is shameful. But I have no idea who that person is or what any of those movies are.

Be kind. I might have heat stroke so I'm not at my senses.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

STAC Goat posted:

I'm gonna be completely honest, and maybe this is shameful. But I have no idea who that person is or what any of those movies are.

Be kind. I might have heat stroke so I'm not at my senses.

He's the Godfather of Gore. He's really really worth checking out if you wanna level up your horror cred. Good Stuff low budget dirty films that have lots of blood and are mostly pretty much all depraved.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm still working my way through the HG Lewis boxset. Been a delight for the most part.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Roger Eggers

1. The VVitch
2. The Lighthouse

Yoshiaki Kawajiri

1. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
2. Demon City Shinjuku
3. Wicked City

Abel Ferrara

1. Ms. 45
2. Driller Killer
3. The Addiction
4. Body Snatchers

Hollismason posted:

Can't believe I'm the first to do this but here it goes:

Herschell Gordon Lewis

1. Blood Feast
2. Monster A Go-Go
3. Two Thousand Maniacs
4. The Wizard of Gore
5. A Taste of Blood
6. The Gore Gore Girls

The genius behind Blood Feast directed Monster A Go-Go!? :gonk:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
CHIH-HUNG KUEI
1) Boxer's Omen
2) Corpse Mania
3) Curse of Evil
4) Hex vs. Witchcraft
5) Bewitched
6) Killer Snakes

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Joe Dante
Gremlins
Gremlins 2
The Burbs
Screwfly Solution (MoH)
Howling
Burying the Ex

quote:

David R Ellis
Final Destination 2
Final Destination 5
Shark Night 3-D
Asylum

quote:

Alejandra Aja
High Tension
Crawl
Hills Have Eyes 06
Horns
Piranha 10

quote:

Chuck Russell
The Blob 88
Nightmare on Elm St 3: Dream Warriors

quote:

Robert Rodriguez
From Dusk Till Dawn
The Faculty
Planet Terror

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 9, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Can we add Planet Terror to Robert Rodriguez?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Done. I honestly haven't seen it and didn't know it was horror. Thought it was more Sin City than FDTD.

Someone do Hitchcock, Friedkin, Joel Shumacher (go look!), Park Chan-Wook, Sion Sono, Fede Alvarez, Ryûhei Kitamura, Paul WS Anderson, M Night Shyamalan maybe?, Neil Marshall, Adam Wingard, Tom Holland, Luca Bercovici and Sean S. Cunningham

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 9, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shrecknet posted:

Done. I honestly haven't seen it and didn't know it was horror. Thought it was more Sin City than FDTD.

Someone do Hitchcock, Friedkin, Joel Shumacher (go look!), Fede Alvarez, Ryûhei Kitamura, Paul WS Anderson, M Night Shyamalan maybe?, Neil Marshall, Adam Wingard, Tom Holland, Luca Bercovici and Sean S. Cunningham

M Night should be in this yeah, but as I've already thrown six in I'm content with letting others champion the rest.

Do my boy WIngard proud tho, Death Note is beautiful

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Thought I saw Spielberg without Jurassic Park for a second. Must've been a hallucination.

Alfred Hitchcock
Psycho
Vertigo
The Birds
Rebecca
Shadow of a Doubt

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Ken Russell
The Devils
Lair of the White Worm
Gothic
Altered States

(not sure if he did anything else that would qualify as horror)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

As of this moment the 16-director Jungle Primary is now FULL. You may still submit for that category, but only with a direct appeal to THE COUNCIL (besides me). Make your case on who should be bumped, and plead to a council member of your choice. The decision will be 100% theirs to respond to.

Reminder that the council consists of STAC, Burkion, Basebf, Timeless, Debbie Does Dagon and TrixRabbi

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 9, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

It definitely shares a familial resemblance to both, but with the quality dialed way down, and then married to something like Return of the Living Dead. Oh, and if you've ever wanted to see Quentin Tarantino's goatse impression, you're in luck.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'd like to see Kaneto Shindo(Onibaba, Kuroneko) swapped in for one of the others like maybe Laughton. Night of the Hunter is really good but one film is still just one film. Or maybe Antonia Bird because it's really just Ravenous, I haven't seen Face but it looks like a crime drama?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'd like to see Kaneto Shindo(Onibaba, Kuroneko) swapped in for one of the others like maybe Laughton. Night of the Hunter is really good but one film is still just one film. Or maybe Antonia Bird because it's really just Ravenous, I haven't seen Face but it looks like a crime drama?

Look at this wrong opinion.

Laughton's one film is better than many of the directors' 6 films.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I'd be absolutely willing to raise the floor to at least two horror films. Otherwise there's a huge slew one time horror directors who'd probably be extremely competitive, like Kubrick for example.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nice to see Burkion making a list for Tobe Hooper and not including Poltergeist hey-OOO.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jedit posted:

Nice to see Burkion making a list for Tobe Hooper and not including Poltergeist hey-OOO.

Exhibit B.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shrecknet posted:

It's a ridiculously indulgent, bigger budget ripoff of Nightmare City (Umberto Lenzi, 1981) believe it or not. I was pleasantly surprised when I had finally seen it and ended up liking it a lot more than Death Proof. Great fun!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Hollismason posted:

Herschell Gordon Lewis

1. Blood Feast
2. Monster A Go-Go
3. Two Thousand Maniacs
4. The Wizard of Gore
5. A Taste of Blood
6. The Gore Gore Girls

Monster A Go-Go is 1) Really, really loving bad and 2) Only partially directed by HGL. I'd rather sub in something like Color Me Blood Red, The Gruesome Twosome or even Blood Feast 2.

Neo Rasa posted:

BRIAN YUZNA
1) Return of the Living Dead III
2) Bride of Re-Animator
3) Society
4) Necronomicon: Book of Dead

PETER JACKSON
1) Dead Alive
2) Bad Taste
3) The Frighteners

Yuzna: Add The Dentist and Faust: Love of the Damned
Jackson: It'd be a technicality but I'm wondering if we might want to include Meet the Feebles, if only for a complete survey of his early work.

Egbert Souse posted:

John Landis
An American Werewolf in London
Innocent Blood
Schlock

I'd toss in Thriller as well.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Jean Rollin
The Living Dead Girl
Fascination
The Shiver of the Vampires
Lips of Blood
Requiem for a Vampire
The Demoniacs

This is just personal preference, but I'd really like to get Night of the Hunted in here.

Kangra posted:

Alfred Hitchcock
Psycho
Vertigo
The Birds
Rebecca
Shadow of a Doubt

We're gonna need to do some strong deliberating on what counts for Hitchcock. Like, Vertigo has fakeout supernatural themes but not sure that it ever leaps into horror territory. Rebecca I can see a little more belonging to a legacy of gothic horror, though Shadow of a Doubt more firmly lies as film noir. I think we could safely put Frenzy here, and I'd wonder about The Lodger. We were also debating in the last thread about Rear Window, which feels slightly more horror adjacent. Hitchcock belongs in this tournament, I think deciding which of his movies are horror-adjacent enough to qualify (with Psycho and The Birds as the two firm horror entries) will need to be hashed out more. Regardless, his entire body of work is so influential on the genre he deserves to compete.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

David Lynch

The Grandmother
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
Mulholland Drive
Inland Empire
Twin Peaks (Including Fire Walk with Me and The Return)

Tim Burton

Beetlejuice
Mars Attacks!
Sleepy Hollow
Corpse Bride
Dark Shadows
Frankenweenie

Tod Browning

The Unknown
West of Zanzibar
Dracula
Freaks
Mark of the Vampire
The Devil-Doll
BONUS: London After Midnight (lost, reconstructed in a 45 minute version with stills)

Ed Wood

Bride of the Monster
Night of the Ghouls
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Necromania

Don Coscarelli

Phantasm
Phantasm II
Bubba Ho-Tep
Incident On and Off a Mountain Road
John Dies at the End
(Survival Quest or Phantasm III)

Jack Arnold

It Came From Outer Space
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Revenge of the Creature
Tarantula!
Monster on the Campus
(Debatable: The Incredible Shrinking Man)

Brian De Palma

Sisters
Phantom of the Paradise
Carrie
The Fury
Dressed to Kill
The Black Dahlia

Neil Jordan

The Company of Wolves
Interview with the Vampire
Byzantium
Greta

Mary Lambert

Pet Sematary
Pet Sematary Two
Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge
Urban Legends: Bloody Mary
The Attic

Herbert L. Strock

Gog
I Was a Teenage Frankenstein
Blood of Dracula
How to Make a Monster
The Devil's Messenger
The Crawling Hand

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm stoked to watch all those movies!

Someone do Karyn Kusama (The Invitation, Jennifer's Body) and Roman Polanski (Apartment Trilogy, 9th Seal, uh, Fearless Vampire Killers?), I perhaps haven't seen enough of their work to be comprehensive.

I'm struggling with Park Chan Wook. Thirst, Stoker and 3 Extremes: Cut are obviously horror but Vengeance Trilogy is very much straddling the line, and if they're ok why not replace one of them with The Handmaiden which I would love to claim as horror but it sort of really isnt. Any excuse to post the trailer too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whldChqCsYk

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Did anyone do Brian de Palma yet?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

posted:

Kim Jee Woon
A Tale of Two Sisters
I Saw The Devil
The Quiet Family
Three: Memories

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 9, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Jedit posted:

Did anyone do Brian de Palma yet?

TrixRabbi posted:

Brian De Palma

Sisters
Phantom of the Paradise
Carrie
The Fury
Dressed to Kill
The Black Dahlia

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Good to see Kim Jee Woon on.

Regarding HItchcock, Frenzy was kind of on the bubble, and I was going for what I felt was the more scary films, but I think in terms of horror, it should probably be on the list. I think Shadow of a Doubt has the terror of not being believed and being weaker than a very dangerous person. It's in the same vein as Rear Window (which I see as a mystery with some horror elements) but I found it more effective at its horror. And I wanted Vertigo since I think psychological horror doesn't get enough credit.

I don't know enough about Robert Wise's early horror films (Curse of the Cat People, The Body Snatcher) to know if those could compete, but The Haunting would get in and maybe Andromeda Strain. Too bad West Side Story isn't actually a zombie film.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Ryûhei Kitamura

Midnight Meat Train
Versus
No One Lives
Downrange
Nightmare Cinema
Godzilla: Final Wars

quote:

The Speirig Brothers

Undead
Daybreakers
Jigsaw
Winchester

Also moved Landis to the full-size bracket by adding Twilight Zone and Thriller. Removed Antonia Bird and Charles Laughton, sorry they can't just get one movie over and over the whole tourney.

There are now 3 slots left for the Jungle Minibracket!

There are now 8 slots left for the main Director Bracket!
:justpost:

My J-Horror knowledge is a travesty; someone tell me which 6 Shinya Tuskamoto movies are the best?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 9, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stephen Sommers
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
Van Helsing
Deep Rising

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

Also moved Landis to the full-size bracket by adding Twilight Zone and Thriller. Removed Antonia Bird and Charles Laughton, sorry they can't just get one movie over and over the whole tourney.

There are now 3 slots left for the Jungle Minibracket!

There are now 8 slots left for the main Director Bracket!
:justpost:

My J-Horror knowledge is a travesty; someone tell me which 6 Shinya Tuskamoto movies are the best?

Who is on the Jungle Minibracket currently?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Paul WS Anderson

Event Horizon
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Afterlife
Resident Evil Retribution
Resident Evil Final Chapter
AVP

quote:

Steve Beck

Ghost Ship
Th13teen Ghosts

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Who is on the Jungle Minibracket currently?

There's a separate spreadsheet for it in the OP. You have to click on it at the bottom of the spreadsheet for the main bracket.

Anyway I will go ahead and mention Shindo again as a candidate for the play-in bracket. Onibaba and Kuroneko are both essential Japanese horror.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Found the spreadsheet.

Mini-Bracket

Jennifer Kent

The Babadook
The Nightingale

Joe Begos

Bliss
The Mind's Eye
Almost Human
(does VFW count as horror?)

Ana Lily Amirpour

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night
The Bad Batch

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 9, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess we're operating under Kvlt! rules but I think my Flanagan submission is at least as credible as the Paul WS Anderson one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Found the spreadsheet.

Mini-Bracket

Jennifer Kent

The Babadook
The Nightingale

Alright! That's it, Jungle Bracket sorted! 3 spots remain on the main roster! Coucil members, if you spot any omissions to get to 6 films or a better 6 than what's under a director's name, PM me or post here if you don't have PMs.

STAC Goat posted:

I guess we're operating under Kvlt! rules but I think my Flanagan submission is at least as credible as the Paul WS Anderson one.
Oh WOW! I didn't see your post somehow and didn't add your entries. They're all there now, sorry! :eek:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 9, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

We're actually not operating under Kvlt! rules. Kvlt! is very strict about what qualifies as horror and we're going the other direction here(within reason). So I'd think Flanagan and Anderson would both qualify pretty easily. And they did, I see they're both on the spreadsheet.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was just making a joke about the late addition. I'm sure Shrek either just missed my post or took my "eh, cut them if you see fit" to heart. Which I meant. I'm not gonna get mad if Ti West or Lucky McKee don't get their chance to lose in the 1st round. Cut them if better options come up.

But I do think Flanagan is probably a solid 12 seed at worst.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I see what you mean now, yea. When you look at the overall competition then Flanagan has to be there, at this point his resume is pretty long regardless of what you think of his work. But under Kvlt! rules he would probably be automatically disqualified and mentioning his name would be an auto-probation.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A few spots left.

Who wants to give me David Schmoeller's best six or Uwe Boll's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
David DeCoteau
Puppet Master III
Curse of the Puppet Master
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama