Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Burkion posted:

I'd swap Mothra and Destroy All Monsters for Rodan and Half Human, myself. Rodan is closer to a horror movie in the first half than Mothra is in any fashion, and Destroy All Monsters is a pure kaiju film while Half Human is an oft forgotten film that got re-edited in 1958 with John Caradine.

These are good calls. I'm for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Someone reach out to Timeless Appeal, I initially put them on the council because of their impassioned effortposting in the last thread but they don't have PMs and haven't posted in this thread. If they aren't interested, then there's an at-large council seat up I guess.

I selected the original council based on post count in the first bracktology thread, so if Timeless is burnt out or whatever itd be Married But Discreet taking their spot.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

TrixRabbi posted:

Jackson: It'd be a technicality but I'm wondering if we might want to include Meet the Feebles, if only for a complete survey of his early work.

Or you could include his best movie, Heavenly Creatures

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I haven't seen Face but it looks like a crime drama?

I just finished it, and it's definitely not horror. It's a very socially conscious crime drama, like if Ken Loach directed a Guy Ritchie film. It's also nothing like Ravenous in terms of mood, music, and cinematography. Let's see, Anthony B. Richmond did the cinematography for Ravenous. He also did Don't Look Now, Candyman, The Man who Fell to Earth, Tales from the Hood, and uh Legally Blonde, as well about 40 other films.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Also Pete Walker seems in general totally under the radar.

House of Whipcord (1974)
Frightmare (1974)
House of Mortal Sin (1975)
Schizo (1976)
The Comeback (1978)
Home Before Midnight (1979)
House of the Long Shadows (1983)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

someone pick the 6 best Friedkin movies TIA

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
MARTIN SCORSESE
1) The Last Temptation of Christ
2) Cape Fear
3) Bringing Out the Dead
4) Silence
5) Shutter Island

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cape Fear is the only one on that list that is even horror adjacent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

someone pick the 6 best Friedkin movies TIA

I was going to originally but honestly, I think outside of the Exorcist most of his other movies are a really big stretch, there's some thrillers in there but not quite into creepy territory.

That said, hoooly fuckin' poo poo it's the fuckin' EXORCIST

WILLIAM FRIEDKIN
1) The Exorcist
2) Bug
3) Guardian
4) Rampage

Very iff but he also directed:
Cruising
Killer Joe
Sorcerer

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Has anyone seen Ronny Yu's non-American produced horrors? I really like FvJ and Bride of Chucky but never came across any of his Hong Kong horror stuff.

Ben Wheatley
Kill List
Sightseers
A Field in England

edit:

Also can we have a gently caress-off Landis/Polanski rule?

Neil Marshall
Dog Soldiers
The Descent
Doomsday

Tom Holland
Fright Night
Child's Play
Thinner

Richard Stanley
Hardware
Color Out of Space
Dust Devil

Takashi Miike
Audition
The Happiness of the Katakuri's
Gozu
One Missed Call

Roy Ward Baker
Quatermass and the Pit
Asylum
The Vault of Horror
The Vampire Lovers
Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires
Scars of Dracula

Mike Flanagan
Doctor Sleep
Gerald's Game
Hush
Oculus
Ouija: Origin of Evil

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 10, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Shrecknet posted:

I selected the original council based on post count in the first bracktology thread, so if Timeless is burnt out or whatever itd be Married But Discreet taking their spot.

There's gotta be someone better than me, I can barely string together two coherent sentences on why I like a movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

Has anyone seen Ronny Yu's non-American produced horrors? I really like FvJ and Bride of Chucky but never came across any of his Hong Kong horror stuff.

Not quite a horror movie per se but he did a wuxia, uh, gothic romance tragedy called The Bride with White Hair that is absolutely fuckin' awesome, should be on Prime. Plus it stars Brigitte Lin and Leslie Chung! Honestly going by the slightly looser rules here it may count from how the third act plays out. There's a particular part where a character is bounced off the walls repeatedly that is reused in Freddy vs. Jason when Freddy is flinging Jason around the boiler room. Definitely worth a watch.

There's a sequel that concludes their story but unfortunately it's kind of blah as it focuses newer, not nearly as interesting characters while the ones played by Brigitte Lin and Leslie Chung are sidelined.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 10, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Well, I solved our "Need an 8th Director" issue.

Thus, Jungle Seeding Starts Now!

The easiest way to do it is, I think, to give everyone 28 votes. That's halfway to 56, which is how many entrants we'll have. Vote for your 28 favorites, and the top 56 vote-getters will get in, with seeding determined by overall vote share.

THIS MEANS VOTING STRATEGICALLY! If you think Lucky McKee really needs to get in, you might feel safe leaving Carpenter off your list, confident he'll get in. BUT- that could make him a lower seed. Choose wisely! The 28 Directors are yours to decide!

:siren::siren: VOTE HERE! VOTE NOW! :siren::siren:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Asking Kvlt! to pick a director for an automatic bid feels like the definition of fait accompli. :D

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hate to point it out but William Friedkin isn't on either the ballot or spreadsheet. Which seems like a big enough oversight that you were the one who called for someone to make a list for him.

Besides that that was a surprisingly easy vote for me. I tried to limit myself at first pass to directors whom I loved at least 2 of the films on their list, and that basically filled my list. I ended up throwing in people I thought I'd have to cut and there's no one I have left who I feel bad about as someone who (a) I really feel would have made my own "Best Director" list and (b) won't probably make it anyway from people who are bigger fans of their style.

There's a surprising number of films I'm not familiar with though, which speaks really poorly to my own horror fandom still being filled with a ton of holes but also means I'll probably have fun watching new movies during this.

But do we still have time as a council to rule on Poltergeist somehow being absent from Tobe Hooper's catalogue? Because what the hell? I've never seen Eaten Alive and I like Salem's Lot a lot, but its definitely not better than Poltergeist. And Invaders from Mars doesn't feel super horror. I mean I'm not saying it shouldn't count, just not over Poltergeist.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 10, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

But do we still have time as a council to rule on Poltergeist somehow being absent from Tobe Hooper's catalogue? Because what the hell? I've never seen Eaten Alive and I like Salem's Lot a lot, but its definitely not better than Poltergeist. And Invaders from Mars doesn't feel super horror. I mean I'm saying it shouldn't count, just not over Poltergeist.
That's why you're on the council! Invaders from Mars is cut, Poultergeist (at least the parts not stolen from Tobe and directed by Spielberg) is now on the list.

STAC Goat posted:

There's a surprising number of films I'm not familiar with though, which speaks really poorly to my own horror fandom still being filled with a ton of holes but also means I'll probably have fun watching new movies during this.
That's actually my main concern this time around. While I love that this forum dug into woman and foreign directors to get entrants, I worry that many of the films are less-than-easy to get your hands on these days. And if half the voters can't actually see the film, it isn't gonna beat even a mediocre major Hollywood release.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 10, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I do wonder how many of the films that got drawn I'll actually be able to watch. But for my own personal viewing habits I think that's ok because even if I can't find the movie in question I'll probably be inspired to watch another film from that guy if I can. That won't affect the vote but at least it will expand my scope.

Although, you know, that's another reason why I think judging a director by a random single film instead of their full body of work is a not great ideas but grumble grumble grumble wet blanket spoiled child...

But in that light we should probably take Synchroic off Benson/Moorhead's list. Since the film has only appeared at festivals as best as I can tell the odds are none of us have actually seen it or could. I know I'm the one who added it so sorry for that, but that was back when we still had the film number qualifications.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 10, 2020

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
For the anthology film inclusions, maybe note which segment they directed?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shrecknet posted:

That's why you're on the council! Invaders from Mars is cut, Poultergeist (at least the parts not stolen from Tobe and directed by Spielberg) is now on the list.

That right there is why I didn't include Poltergeist on the Tobe list. Felt Astric-y

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Another Council Challenge/Query. Do we feel that's a representative selection of Wes Craven's work?

I'm resigned to the fact that Wes Craven is gonna be knocked out in the second round because of this format but is A Deadly Friend really anywhere near what should represent him? I've never seen it but there's a reason. I've also never seen Red Eye or The Hills Have Eyes but they at least have some positivity behind it. I also loving despise Last House on The Left and would vote against it vs drat near any film. But I recognize some people like something... like that. It would never come near my list of Wes Craven favorites and I hate it possibly being his sole entry in this. But is A Deadly Friend really even there?

I don't really want to haggle over it but I still don't really get how this works. Someone named them so that's now Wes' legacy. I don't want to get into a fight over it or make it a thing but I also am preparing to vote out my second favorite horror director in the first round for making maybe my single most hated horror movie of all time. I don't know if that's what we want or not.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 10, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I adore A Deadly Friend genuinely and think that it'll surprise you how many other people have a soft spot for it. And, as I am the one who picked it and chose that specific line up along with the others I wrote up, I'll explain why-

They're honest.

Not every film they made was a masterpiece. No one makes only all time great films. For some of them I gave them what options they even had, but for Wes and Tobe, I specifically picked the ones I felt best represented their entire body of work, problematic content and all. What's more likely to hurt Wes is Last House on the Left, and for good reason. Just as what's likely to hurt Raimi is Evil Dead 1, or so on.

But they have to be counted too.

Wes Craven made genre defining work, top tier horror that broke new ground. He also made Deadly Friend, and Scream 3, and loads of other things. One unspoken thing I had when making my personal lists was avoiding sequels, with one notable exception, because we learn nothing new from the director from them. They're just more of the same.

Scream 2 is just Scream but again. We already know what we need to from the original. Nightmare is Nightmare is Nightmare.

A Deadly Friend is, if nothing else, unique. It's a subject matter that Craven never touched on before or after, with some all time great imagery and 80s cheese and one of the best kills in all of 80s horror. Possibly all of horror, period.

The one unspoken exception to my no sequels rule was TCM 2, because that is a wildly different beast that speaks to how creative and great Tobe Hooper was.

I will not and cannot accept people poo poo talking films like Deadly Friend, when they make up the bedrock of what horror should be. Goofy, silly, trashy films made by people who love the genre and want to do new things with it.

Sure you could load down a Wes Craven list without Deadly Friend, but would that be any loving fun? No, I argue, it would not be. Horror goes beyond prestige and should never be ashamed of that. That's what people who want it to be 'risen above'. That's what 'elevated horror' numbskulls think. There is no elevated horror.

If it's horror, it's horror. Nothing else to be said but that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can understand the idea of wanting to spread across the catalogue and avoid sequels when we're forced to cut down 4 or 5 decades of films to 6 films. But it seems like you could do that while also representing what people generally love about Wes. I'm not a big Shocker fan but I'd say its a more loved film of his that would deserve a spot and is unique from the others. I do like Serpent & The Rainbow and People Under The Stairs and think they also speak to Wes' diversity and different things in both his work and the genre in general. I think I think New Nightmare is similar to TCM 2 in a change and shift from the original, and in many ways groundbreaking and a predecessor to what Scream did. I don't know.

Like I said, I'm not gonna fight. This is what it is and the first come noms was part of that. I guess if I wanted a different selection I should have posted one first. I was just reading over the spreadsheet again and Wes' really struck me as different from the rest. But maybe I'll finally watch Hills Have Eyes and Red Eye.

Once again, I apologize for being a wet blanket. I'll reach acceptance by the time this thing starts proper. I'm working on an appropriate penance.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 10, 2020

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

I can understand the idea of wanting to spread across the catalogue and avoid sequels when we're forced to cut down 4 or 5 decades of films to 6 films. But it seems like you could do that while also representing what people generally love about Wes. I'm not a big Shocker fan but I'd say its a more loved film of his that would deserve a spot and is unique from the others. I do like Serpent & The Rainbow and People Under The Stairs and think they also speak to Wes' diversity and different things in both his work and the genre in general. I think I think New Nightmare is similar to TCM 2 in a change and shift from the original, and in many ways groundbreaking and a predecessor to what Scream did. I don't know.

Like I said, I'm not gonna fight. This is what it is and the first come noms was part of that. I guess if I wanted a different selection I should have posted one first. I was just reading over the spreadsheet again and Wes' really struck me as different from the rest. But maybe I'll finally watch Hills Have Eyes and Red Eye.

Once again, I apologize for being a wet blanket. I'll reach acceptance by the time this thing starts proper.

My dude, stop putting yourself down every post. This is not a serious thing, you don't need to keep flogging yourself over and over and over. You have concerns, list 'em. Say 'em. Own 'em. Don't be so timid about it and stepping back from them all the time.

The following is my opinion on certain choices.

New Nightmare is redundant with Scream and Nightmare proper on the list. New Nightmare is more meta than Scream, but Scream perfects it. I was the one who put People Under the Stairs on his list, Shreck I have to assume replaced it with Red Eye, which is their call. The rest was what I felt was different and diverse enough across his tenure, highs and lows. Also, you seem to forget, you can absolutely suggest a different selection- I did. Twice.

Wes Craven was the one given a list first, but I overrode it with my own nonsense. Because, as I've stated in this thread and the previous, I am a fan of Deadly Friend. I think it's a unique if flawed film and deserves a spot on the Wes Craven filmography. The dude directed it, after all.

Nothing is set in stone. If you think something deserves a better shot, say so and see what others say. No one is fighting anything or anyone. We're all fans of these people, or wanting to see them tarred and feathered depending. No other creator is treated any differently than Wes, at least by me.

Like, fun fact, Half Human 1955 effectively has never been officially released, I just happen to have a version of it on Archive.org that I'm going to be sharing if/when that comes up. It's also, as admitted by ANYONE who has seen it, not one of Honda's best works. It'd have been extremely easy for me to keep Half Human off the list, to suggest War of the Gargantuans or some such, or argue that he should only have the four films that most embody horror from him.

Not only did I not do that, I was the one who nominated Half Human onto the list, because the alternative wasn't really honest nor interesting. I see this as both a celebration of these creators, and also a way to spread some of their not as well known films with new people to enjoy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Some of the names in the google doc aren't in the voting jungle.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Burkion posted:

My dude, stop putting yourself down every post. This is not a serious thing, you don't need to keep flogging yourself over and over and over. You have concerns, list 'em. Say 'em. Own 'em. Don't be so timid about it and stepping back from them all the time.
I guess I just worry that I'm being a petulant brat upset that its not going the way I like it. Everyone else seems to like the format and rules so I don't want to ruin the fun, especially if its because I'm just throwing a tantrum until I can accept its done and happening this way. So I feel bad when I'm making a thing of it.

So I hope my final word on the subject in the spirit of us all just having some fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtlaCoiUycU

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 10, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hey can we get Robert Wise in the running? The guy only directed the best freakin haunted house movie ever, The Haunting. He also directed The Body Snatcher, Audrey Rose and Curse of the Cat People (if you wanna count it as horror).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

Someone reach out to Timeless Appeal, I initially put them on the council because of their impassioned effortposting in the last thread but they don't have PMs and haven't posted in this thread. If they aren't interested, then there's an at-large council seat up I guess.
Hey-- sorry work is crazy at the moment and my wife and I are moving states. I appreciate it, but I'm definitely not going to be useful.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Imagine being hesitant about arguing which obscure movies that 90% of the population does not remember should be on a google sheet on a gay dead internet forum, in a thread that is specifically about arguing which movies should remain on a google sheet. Rock on my man, this is literally the content we're here for.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BisonDollah posted:

Tom Holland
Fright Night
Child's Play
Thinner
The Langoliers

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Aw, were my missing suggestions too late?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BisonDollah posted:

Aw, were my missing suggestions too late?

I have no idea, I just figured Tom Holland's Langoliers was a big-enough deal at the time (that hasn't aged well) to be added to your list. It's also kinda funny how many Chucky champions there were last Bracketology, and yet Tom Holland, the director, got snubbed.

I'm not saying he's the best, but his film Fright Night is the best.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

I'd at least suggest SA horror goons not follow the horror canon beardneck filmfan lead and allow Landis to be considered untouchable because he made American Werewolf? His time is up, he's a child killer. He doesn't deserve to be in the conversation.

Same goes for the child rapist Polanski.

Please replace these two bastards with Child's Play director and say, uh, Roy Ward Baker.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm fine with excluding Landis, though I also anticipate if he does get seeded he'll lose early on. However, agree that again goons are bringing up some important names (Robert Wise, Roy Ward Baker, Neil Marshall, Tom Holland) who deserve a shot at being seeded.

I still feel like the best approach was to start with as big a slushpile of directors as possible and use ranked choice voting as the means of determining the Top 64. So someone like David R. Ellis can technically compete, but is unlikely to actually make the final bracket. And that may lead to some bigger names being left off, but only cause they lost out fair and square rather than "oops, we forgot."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

BisonDollah posted:

I'd at least suggest SA horror goons not follow the horror canon beardneck filmfan lead and allow Landis to be considered untouchable because he made American Werewolf? His time is up, he's a child killer. He doesn't deserve to be in the conversation.

Same goes for the child rapist Polanski.

Please replace these two bastards with Child's Play director and say, uh, Roy Ward Baker.

I think the best argument for disqualifying Landis is that we certainly want to disregard the Twilight Zone movie at least, I mean that's the film where he killed people. So if you just disqualify that film, that leaves him with only American Werewolf and we've already said that one film isn't enough to justify inclusion in the bracket.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I think the best argument for disqualifying Landis is that we certainly want to disregard the Twilight Zone movie at least, I mean that's the film where he killed people. So if you just disqualify that film, that leaves him with only American Werewolf and we've already said that one film isn't enough to justify inclusion in the bracket.

He does have Schlock, Innocent Blood and if you wanna get technical Thriller.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I do wonder how many of the films that got drawn I'll actually be able to watch. But for my own personal viewing habits I think that's ok because even if I can't find the movie in question I'll probably be inspired to watch another film from that guy if I can. That won't affect the vote but at least it will expand my scope.

Although, you know, that's another reason why I think judging a director by a random single film instead of their full body of work is a not great ideas but grumble grumble grumble wet blanket spoiled child...

Look at it this way(and just like you keep apologizing for being a wet blanket I will apologize for constantly trying to change your mind):

This format is great because it actually replicates a sports tournament. Think about it, in sports does each team bring their A-game every time out? No of course not, so on any given night, a better team can get beat because maybe they brought their C-game and the other team happened to be in the zone that night.

So what do you do in sports? You try to maintain consistency. You try to be the one who brings their A-game every single night, or at least as much as you possibly can. That way, you don't end up losing to an inferior team who just had a better night than you did. And that's what these directors will be judged on. Yes, the individual films, but also consistency because the more good/great films you're putting out there the less chance you'll have that "bad night", as we so often see in sports. So sure, there's a small chance that a John Carpenter might end up with a Prince of Darkness(what I would call his B or C-game) up against someone else's strongest film. But Carpenter's overall consistency makes the chances of that happening very slim, and also if it does happen, hey, that's how these things go sometimes. Sometimes the better team loses.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Ben Wheatley should be in the Jungle.

I'd be looking at Dickerson and Beck in particular and wondering if any of their films come close to any of Wheatley's horrors.

Would sure love to talk about Richard Stanley! Also Neil Marshall's decline since the brilliance of Dog Soldiers and The Descent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Some of the names in the google doc aren't in the voting jungle.

That's probably because there are 8 automatic bids so they don't have to be voted on. They have an asterisk next to them on the spreadsheet.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

There's 112 films listed so far I haven't seen. I consider myself an avid horror fan and was running out of decent new films to find, this thread has certainly helped reinvigorate that list. I can watch 12 of them on Amazon Prime now and one on Disney+ (guess which one?).

I appreciate it must be a headache to try and juggle something this size and try and keep everyone happy. Great work so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

BisonDollah posted:

I can watch 12 of them on Amazon Prime now and one on Disney+ (guess which one?).

Mary Lambert's Halloweentown II: Kalabar's Revenge