Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Terence Fisher
1. Horror of Dracula
2. The Curse of Frankenstein
3. The Hound of the Baskervilles
4. The Devil Rides Out
5. Frankenstein Created Woman
6. The Mummy

Irony.or.Death posted:

It feels bad that we've gone so many posts without Gordon, but I can't put From Beyond before Re-Animator, but I also still want to be on good terms with basebf555 so I need somebody else to make that post soon please.

I've made my peace with the fact that most people prefer Re-Animator. If someone said that they actually disliked From Beyond then we'd be having it out but literally nobody ever says that.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, we'll see. As I said I'll be on board anyway because I love our crew and am happy to be part of it in any way whether its being part of a small council, accidently waging a campaign to make one of my favorite franchises fall to one of my least, or spend a couple of days making a fun video. And I guess even if some of my favorite directors draw some movie that isn't my favorite it will give me an excuse to watch/revisit something less familiar to me.

The big boys will probably still be relatively safe in the early round matchups. Like, there's no draw where Carpenter loses to James Wan or whatever, it's just not gonna happen no matter what the RNG comes up with.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd like to see Kaneto Shindo(Onibaba, Kuroneko) swapped in for one of the others like maybe Laughton. Night of the Hunter is really good but one film is still just one film. Or maybe Antonia Bird because it's really just Ravenous, I haven't seen Face but it looks like a crime drama?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Stephen Sommers
The Mummy
The Mummy Returns
Van Helsing
Deep Rising

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Who is on the Jungle Minibracket currently?

There's a separate spreadsheet for it in the OP. You have to click on it at the bottom of the spreadsheet for the main bracket.

Anyway I will go ahead and mention Shindo again as a candidate for the play-in bracket. Onibaba and Kuroneko are both essential Japanese horror.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I guess we're operating under Kvlt! rules but I think my Flanagan submission is at least as credible as the Paul WS Anderson one.

We're actually not operating under Kvlt! rules. Kvlt! is very strict about what qualifies as horror and we're going the other direction here(within reason). So I'd think Flanagan and Anderson would both qualify pretty easily. And they did, I see they're both on the spreadsheet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I see what you mean now, yea. When you look at the overall competition then Flanagan has to be there, at this point his resume is pretty long regardless of what you think of his work. But under Kvlt! rules he would probably be automatically disqualified and mentioning his name would be an auto-probation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with bumping Sommers for Wook, I think Wook is more deserving as much as I'm a Sommers fanboy.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm all about the ballots and votes and that just doesn't seem to be the thing people want, but if you're doing a jungle primary before the field of 64 then is there any harm in doing a big seeding vote for the 60 during that like you did with the main one? Am I remembering that wrong? Didn't we all vote for a big field at some point?

Yea I'd like to see some sort of poll that will determine seeding. I don't want Craven facing Romero in the first round or something like that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

As I said earlier, feel free to bump West and McKee if people feel stronger about other entries. I'm not married to them and I doubt anyone else will care.

On principle I'd say we should consider bumping 4 movie entries on the grounds that they have a basic advantage if their 4 films are more focused quality than everyone else's 6 and if they're not then it begs the question of if they deserve to be there more. Like I wouldn't say James Whale should be cut from a "Best Director" tournament because he was awesome, but teh fact that his entire catalogue is 3 absolute classics and a 4th great film gives him a huge distorted edge over someone like Carpenter who has like 10 great films but will only get a selection of 6 in this.

But again, that's my reservations with this format and we're really not doing "Best Director" anymore so I leave it to the rest of the small council. Just my thoughts. Cut West and McKee first if you wish.

I think you can still say that we're determining Best Director here, just with more than one factor taken into account. So consistency counts, someone like James Whale is going to have that advantage and I think that's perfectly ok, it makes sense that he would.

But consistency isn't everything, and so a very prolific director like John Carpenter is going to be able to put forward 6 excellent films even though his resume has some mediocre stuff in it. I think this is a good balance, you can't cruise through with just one or two good films, and you can't win just based on volume either.

Also remember, the random format gets thrown out towards the end, so when it really comes time to determine the winner, the full resume of each director will be considered.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I know everyone expects me to go with Gordon but you know I just feel like that would potentially leave too many iconic directors vulnerable to being knocked out early. So I'm going to be responsible about this.

My automatic bid selection is Mario Bava.

Which leaves two slots remaining for such directors as Craven, Romero, and Whale.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BisonDollah posted:

I'd at least suggest SA horror goons not follow the horror canon beardneck filmfan lead and allow Landis to be considered untouchable because he made American Werewolf? His time is up, he's a child killer. He doesn't deserve to be in the conversation.

Same goes for the child rapist Polanski.

Please replace these two bastards with Child's Play director and say, uh, Roy Ward Baker.

I think the best argument for disqualifying Landis is that we certainly want to disregard the Twilight Zone movie at least, I mean that's the film where he killed people. So if you just disqualify that film, that leaves him with only American Werewolf and we've already said that one film isn't enough to justify inclusion in the bracket.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I do wonder how many of the films that got drawn I'll actually be able to watch. But for my own personal viewing habits I think that's ok because even if I can't find the movie in question I'll probably be inspired to watch another film from that guy if I can. That won't affect the vote but at least it will expand my scope.

Although, you know, that's another reason why I think judging a director by a random single film instead of their full body of work is a not great ideas but grumble grumble grumble wet blanket spoiled child...

Look at it this way(and just like you keep apologizing for being a wet blanket I will apologize for constantly trying to change your mind):

This format is great because it actually replicates a sports tournament. Think about it, in sports does each team bring their A-game every time out? No of course not, so on any given night, a better team can get beat because maybe they brought their C-game and the other team happened to be in the zone that night.

So what do you do in sports? You try to maintain consistency. You try to be the one who brings their A-game every single night, or at least as much as you possibly can. That way, you don't end up losing to an inferior team who just had a better night than you did. And that's what these directors will be judged on. Yes, the individual films, but also consistency because the more good/great films you're putting out there the less chance you'll have that "bad night", as we so often see in sports. So sure, there's a small chance that a John Carpenter might end up with a Prince of Darkness(what I would call his B or C-game) up against someone else's strongest film. But Carpenter's overall consistency makes the chances of that happening very slim, and also if it does happen, hey, that's how these things go sometimes. Sometimes the better team loses.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Some of the names in the google doc aren't in the voting jungle.

That's probably because there are 8 automatic bids so they don't have to be voted on. They have an asterisk next to them on the spreadsheet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also again, remember that when we get down to the final 8, full resumes are in play. So there's no way someone like Peele is gonna win the whole thing, the effect of the format is limited to just making for more interesting early round matchups.

Edit: Actually I see that I misread the OP. I feel like my way is better though and the final few matchups shouldn't be limited to evaluating one film per director.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
What about a rule where if a director with less than 4 qualifying films goes up against a director with the full 6, the more prolific director gets to eliminate x(whatever the difference is) number of their films from the draw, only leaving their strongest in. I think in most cases the decisions on which films to take out would be fairly obvious.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't lie STAC is starting to win me over.

Anyway I've seen exactly 50% of the list so I'll be watching a bunch of movies for the first time regardless.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Eh, I think it should be on the respective quality of the films. If Jordan Peele runs up against Herschell Gordon Lewis, Lewis may have been around long enough to have a full filmography but did he make anything remotely as good as Get Out? That's a debate to be had when we get to the matchups and I think it's fair. The directors with smaller filmographies are in here because they've so far proven themselves exceptional in a way that warrants graduation into the big leagues. By their inclusion at all, we're saying they can hold their own against guys who've specialized in this genre for decades. Can two great horror movies beat out entire filmographies is a worthwhile question we'll put to the test.

That's the thing though, you can't have that conversation because you're only supposed to consider whichever film ends up being selected. So you can't say "Did John Carpenter make anything as good as Get Out?" if he gets a lovely dice roll and ends up getting Prince of Darkness. You then have to decide the matchup on those two films alone, Get Out vs. Prince of Darkness and that's it, which would be kinda weird because you know, it's Carpenter.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I'd say that Carpenter is probably the safest bet to get to the Final Four, but beyond that who knows. I don't see him going down early though just because I feel like he has a wider base of support than some of the others due to the wider range of movies he made.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hooper is definitely a bigger threat in this tournament than people might realize. He's obviously got the big heavy hitter that he can roll for the easy win, but his other stuff is all very solid and pretty varied. If he ends up with a lower seed he could definitely take out one of the icons.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

You call that a lovely die roll? If I had to rank the six Carpenter movies I put forward, Prince of Darkness would be third. The only movie on that list which I would vote for Get Out over is ITMOM, possibly Christine if I'd just had to watch Escape from LA again for some unknown reason.

To be clear, nothing is a lovely roll for Carpenter in my eyes. I had to pick something as an example. Personally I'd vote for any of Carpenter's selections over 90% of the movies in this tournament.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Clearly though if Carpenter rolls Halloween or The Thing, he wins any matchup easily, at least for the first few rounds. Anything else and the door is at least a little bit open for an upset.

This is of course assuming that people really to take the rules seriously as opposed to just voting based on overall resume.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani are gone before they could even fire a shot in anger... :smith:

Came down to three things I expect. FIrst, The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears is fairly divisive. I don't really like it myself. Second, not a lot of people have seen Amer. Third, Let the Corpses Tan isn't horror, and I think that is their best film.

Anyway the bracket looks pretty solid overall, I don't have a lot of seeding complaints. Carpenter missing out on a 1 seed is weird but I know that was just a random draw.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That whole bracket with Peele and Aster and Zombie and Chuck Russell is gonna be fun to watch. It seems like each one of them could either win the whole region or get knocked out in the first round depending on how the numbers fall.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kangra posted:

Is there any sort of ruling about multiple film versions, as to which cut is official? I guess the question is whether we should go with only one version of those available, or can just consider any multiple cuts as a whole, to the extent that they showcase the director's work on that movie. Probably it's not significant for most of the movies, but I certainly don't know them well enough to say for sure.

It's relevant right away because Zombie rolled Halloween 2 in the first round. Also later if/when we're voting on Deep Red.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I was researching Twin Peaks to figure out if I had to watch the series before I watch the movie and...

I'm already confused.

The movie is a prequel. But it fills in a lot of detail about events that are important because of what happens in the t.v. show so in that way I guess you could call it a sequel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

So can I just watch it if it comes up in this knowing basically nothing about Twin Peaks or should I start binging Twin Peaks in case the movie comes up?

You'll probably be confused without having seen the show, yea. The prequel aspect isn't just like little fanservice moments, basically every scene is exploring some aspect of a character or storyline from the show.

Anyway it's one of my favorite shows of all time so I would never tell anyone not to watch the show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The proper viewing order for watching Twin Peaks for the first time is just release order so Season 1, Season 2, Fire Walk With Me, then Season 3 last.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wanted to point out that you shouldn't watch Season 3 before Fire Walk With Me because I figure a bunch of people probably did that when Season 3 first aired? Like, the first two seasons were more readily available and I wonder if a lot of people were confused by Season 3 if they didn't have the movie to fill in the gaps.

Anyway this is Lynch we're talking about so plot isn't necessarily the most important thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Part of me wants to vote Soavi just because I really do like Stagefright a lot and Army of Darkness is my least favorite Evil Dead film. But.....nah. Can't punish Army of Darkness based on the fact that I like other movies better. It's still too much fun to vote against.

Definitely gonna check out Three Extremes, I've never seen it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ti West never had a shot so this is probably less painful. Like a bandaid, just rip it off and accept right away that West is gone. Lynch was always gonna stomp him regardless of the dice roll.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Drag Me to Hell is why Corman is a big threat in that bracket. He stands a decent chance of beating Raimi in Round 2(it's by no means a sure thing though, personally I will probably vote for Drag Me to Hell), and then from there he might not be stopped until the Final 4, or at least Final 8.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I'm having trouble getting into Twin Peaks. Took about 4 sittings to get through the first episode. Sticking with it as I get to know the characters and stories and hoping that helps but I'm not planning 29 episodes and a movie ahead at this stage.

Twin Peaks really shows you where it's headed at about Episode 3 or 4. It's fairly standard soap opera murder mystery stuff until then, albeit with a very charismatic lead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea agreed, if you do finish the first season and you're not feeling it, it's probably not gonna get any better from there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Losing it to Rob loving Zombie then going up against Ridley Scott with his weakest film is a bit much, though.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's gonna be Hannibal vs. Christine. We have a lot of Christine fans around these parts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I honestly think the James storyline in Season 2 is worth watching at least once just to witness perhaps the worst storyline ever written in t.v. history.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

I was completely on board with this setup until Soavi had to go up against Raimi with loving Aquarius and now I am STAC Goating all over my apartment. Please at least make sure you all watch Cemetery Man in memoriam after he gets blown out.

Look at it this way, had Raimi not been unlucky with his own roll, Soavi would've been gone Cemetery Man or not. So really this is the fair outcome.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually feel like people watching Stagefright/Aquarius is a bigger win for Soavi than Cemetery Man would've been. It seems like most people are already aware of Cemetery Man but Stagefright to me is very underseen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been on a fantasy kick recently and rewatching Army of Darkness tonight it really struck me just how much of a love letter to Harryhausen the whole movie is. I know that's not exactly a new insight but so many specific scenes jumped out at me this time. There's even a Gulliver scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I figured as long as most people actually see Masque of the Red Death Corman wins easily here. It's just too good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Watched Cut last night and yea count me in as another person that thought it was really good but had no clue what was going on at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Re: Cut, I just didn't really understand that the main character had some sort of break with reality and didn't recognize his wife at the end. That seemed kinda out of nowhere and I just didn't understand what was happening as it was happening.