Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FW Murnau

The Haunted Castle
Nosferatu
Faust

Murnau also directed three lost horror movies: Satanas, Emerald of Death and The Hunchback and the Dancer.

I'll also do

John Carpenter

Halloween
The Thing
Prince of Darkness
The Fog
Christine
In The Mouth of Madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nice to see Burkion making a list for Tobe Hooper and not including Poltergeist hey-OOO.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Did anyone do Brian de Palma yet?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

That's the thing though, you can't have that conversation because you're only supposed to consider whichever film ends up being selected. So you can't say "Did John Carpenter make anything as good as Get Out?" if he gets a lovely dice roll and ends up getting Prince of Darkness. You then have to decide the matchup on those two films alone, Get Out vs. Prince of Darkness and that's it, which would be kinda weird because you know, it's Carpenter.

You call that a lovely die roll? If I had to rank the six Carpenter movies I put forward, Prince of Darkness would be third. The only movie on that list which I would vote for Get Out over is ITMOM, possibly Christine if I'd just had to watch Escape from LA again for some unknown reason.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Carpenter missing out on a 1 seed is weird but I know that was just a random draw.

Losing it to Rob loving Zombie then going up against Ridley Scott with his weakest film is a bit much, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Kvlt! Made his choice and we have to stand by it.

When fighting posers one must beware, lest one thereby become a poser. And when you gaze into the Abyss, James Cameron gazes also into you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

married but discreet posted:

Aight, Faust (FW Murnau) vs Cut (Park Chan Wook).

Faust is amazing and I can't imagine how people didn't poo poo themselves when they first saw this in 1926. The special effects look decades ahead of their time, it's gorgeous and touching and quite clearly a complete artistic masterpiece.
I wish I'd seen this in a version that wasn't 360p.

I own it on Blu and it's honestly not much better than DVD would be. It's an old film and remastering can only do so much.

As for the SFX being good for their day, the camerawork is better. It was the first film with a flight scene shot in depth, inventing techniques that would be used 50 years later in Star Wars, and Murnau shot some crowd scenes using double exposure to simulate deep focus, something mechanically impossible using cameras of the day.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The way movies are randomly drawn without replacement is going to make this really interesting later on. Raimi got lucky that he used up one of his weakest movies, but I think The Gift, as much as I do like it, will cost him later.
Corman is probably screwed if Masque is his best movie.

Corman's main significance is as a relentlessly prolific producer. In career terms he retired from directing very early.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, I'd completely forgotten Death Race, easily his best film, frankly.

Nah, Paul WS Anderson's best film is still Mortal Kombat. With the exception of the antique CGI and one super obvious reversed shot it's gorgeous, and you can tell how much of that look was down to Anderson because they gave the sequel to his DP and it looks like utter poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I remember when I saw the original Amityville Horror at the show. The big takeaway was 'Holy poo poo the property damage...how would you even list that with insurance?'.

Stephen King said the same thing in Danse Macabre. He was at a screening and heard someone moaning in horror, "Oh God... the bills." And the one true ringing moment for him was when the money Lutz is given for the repairs by his brother in law vanishes. He described it as an economic horror movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I don't know if I can vote in this round. There is no "better" between Flanagan and Wan, with the exception of Plan 9 those could well be the worst two movies in the entire roster of every director.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Just know that if you vote against From Beyond I'll find out who you are and hunt you down.

If you think I'm voting against Jacques Tourneur then think again. Maybe if it was Re-Animator against I Walked With A Zombie, but not anything else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

[ And I was stuck this time that while Crampton arguably gets objectified and some of her role is maybe kind of gross, she’s also got the unique position of being the only woman mad scientist I can think of in a horror film.

Sarah Polley in Splice. Not a film, but Lindsay Crouse played a female mad scientist in Buffy S4. And if we're going to play fast and loose, in Frankenhooker the title character recreates the process used to make her.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

You assholes keep teasing like you're gonna vote against From Beyond but then you bring it back at the last moment. It's giving me heart palpitations.

Anyway in the toughest matchup, Black Christmas vs. House on Haunted Hill, it really did feel like a complete toss-up in a way no other matchup so far has felt to me. I ended up going House on Haunted Hill, I guess just because it's the fun option and Black Christmas, as others have mentioned, is a mean movie. In a good way, it's one of the most legitimately scary slashers I've seen, and it's extremely well crafted all around. But on the average night I'm probably gonna lean towards watching House on Haunted Hill just because it's a better time. This was splitting hairs though.

Black Christmas got my vote because it pretty much invented its genre, even if Halloween (and to a lesser extent F13) later defined it. HoHH, like Stuart Gordon's entire oeuvre, is just schlock, and while schlock certainly has its place and its merits it lacks the cachet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Friday the 13th is definitely more of a giallo

OK folks, pack it up. Words no longer have gestalt abnegation kerfuffle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Four non-choices here, to be honest.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

No joke, Martin is Romero’s best movie.

Just behind The Crazies?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Not gonna lie I'm probably voting for Carpenter regardless of what movie is pulled. My integrity only goes so far.

Unless I'm mistaken, Scott vs Carpenter in round 2 would be Hannibal vs Christine. Your integrity is not imperiled.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

One issue with Dracula is that it doesn't really have a satisfying ending either. If Us fumbles and breaks its ankle upon attempting an amazing balletic routine, Dracula does a few tippy taps, claps its hands, and then it's over.

That's what happens in the book, too. In the first 200 pages you get the brides, Dracula climbing down the wall, the Demeter arriving in Whitby, the death of Lucy Westenra and the taking of Mina. Then you get 200 more pages of drawing room medical drama. The hunters going to Castle Dracula and killing the vampire are practically an epilogue.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Canonically Dracula is killed by some pissed-off Roma with machetes.

Cthulhu is killed by a boat.

The original material is wild sometimes

Actually Dracula is killed by an American - who never appears in the movies - with a Bowie knife. And LMAO if you think Cthulhu gets killed, ever. (But OK, he gets inconvenienced with a boat.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

It does happen that way in Coppola's Dracula though. His name is Quincy, he's one of Lucy's suitors.

Yes, I know who Quincey Morris is. I'd completely forgotten about him being in Coppola's movie, but then apart from the general ridiculousness of everything in it and how bad Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder were I'd forgotten almost everything about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

I love Inland Empire but I know it's his biggest liability here. That movie is polarizing.

edit: What are the top seeds biggest liabilities? Lynch's is Inland Empire. I'd wager Carpenter's potential weak point is The Fog, though that depends on what it's up against.

As the person who picked the Carpenter list, I'd say the weak link is Christine. Halloween and The Thing go without saying, I've fallen off the wagon of liking ITMOM but I know a lot of other people like it, Prince of Darkness is ITMOM except better, and The Fog is a classic ghost story with just enough gore to keep the hounds fed. Christine is a good movie and one of the better King adaptations, but if this were a contest of whole careers rather than horror movies it wouldn't even make Carpenter's top 10.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

I'm excited to rewatch Prince of Darkness. I'm pretty cool on it. I've tried to put it on for friends and the first act is so slow that the group turned on me and requested we watch something else. Meanwhile the same group enjoyed The Fog.

Prince of Darkness ends with its best scene, The Fog opens with its best scene. But I still like the opening of Prince, how it's conducted completely without dialogue and repeatedly cuts to stark white on black credits. It's classic silent movie style. All the sequences during the credits are also set around the church, with dialogue starting when the movie reaches Birack's lecture; this reflects the contrast between the old faith and the new science which is the core of the movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I personally have Christine in my Carpenter top-5. So I don't consider it to be second tier at all, unless you want to say that top tier Carpenter is just Halloween and The Thing, because those two are clearly #1 and #2 for me.

Top tier Carpenter is those two plus Escape From New York, They Live and Big Trouble. The second tier includes The Fog and Prince of Darkness just below top tier with Assault on Precinct 13, ITMOM and Starman a bit further behind. Christine probably belongs in that third group somewhere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Just lol that Hitchcock is a #2 Seed but Rob Zombie was a #1 seed. Hook me up with your dealer, y'all are on some good poo poo.

Rob Zombie was a #1 seed ahead of John Carpenter. Whoever picked that was on krokodil, not the good poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

John Carpenter’s Prince of Darkness vs. Jack Arnold’s Revenge of the Creature

I love Prince of Darkness. I love the very weird and rational and drat near Catholic nature of a bunch of priests going “whelp, we got a jar of evil in the basement… better call the local science department.”

The church doesn't call in Birack because they found the Jar of Evil. They call him in to prove the scientific formulae in the book that goes with it, and they make him get his own translator for the written parts so nobody can claim they led him to the conclusion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

I agree that Brian's terrible but like I chalk it up to the way people like Tom Atkins even though he's a total sleazeball. The movie would suck if it relied on him being the lead but it doesn't so he's just another character to me. I also kind of wonder where the line is between "seeing someone attractive and approaching them soon after" and "stalking" but that "proud sexist" weirdness soon after doesn't do him any favors.

It doesn't, but I think it's more that Brian is trying to be funny and casual and he's completely misread the room. That said I'd agree with you more if not for the end scene, where he's clearly traumatised by losing Catherine. His nightmare isn't just recalling the horror, it's about her becoming part of the horror. So whether or not he started as a creep, he grows and changes by the end.

Regarding the homeless people, it's fairly explicit that many of them are mentally unwell (Cooper's character is even called the Street Schizo) and homeless people do often spend a lot of time around churches because they operate soup kitchens and the like. The lady who braces the priest at the gate also says that it's wonderful he's reopening the church, which has surely been closed for a long time considering that Satan is in the basement. So it's definitely a combination of prolonged exposure, perhaps over many years, and being somewhat of an open door to begin with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I don't want to make assumptions about who people are in their daily lives, so that's my goal here. I find it very hard though to feel complacent about these things, because I still see them in my day to day life, and they're poo poo I constantly have to worry about. When I finish work today, I'm going to be using public transport after midnight, and I have to think about what I'm wearing, how my hair looks, how my makeup looks, because I don't want to be followed home. That's not a hypothetical scenario for me, it's happened before, and it's terrifying.

I can appreciate that, and it wasn't my intention to belittle your opinion in any way. As a man it's a lot easier for me to... I don't want to say "read less into it", it's more that I don't have to read as much into it because failing to read something that is there doesn't carry the same consequences.

I think some of the problem is the forced compression of relationships in cinema. Everything becomes weirder when it takes place over less time. It could definitely be handled better in Prince of Darkness, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

A solely duos or single horror film director bracket could be fun too.

Single horror film director gets won by Michael Powell no matter who else is in the field.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Come on yall. Vote for Dont torture a duckling.

Nah, let's not vote for the paedo movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Again, I haven't seen Deep Red yet, but I can guaran-drat-tee there isn't a single line as beautifully written or preformed as "Oh Fernando! Your mother ate my dog!"

You misspelled "I kick arse for the Lord!" there, but to be fair the keys are right next to each other.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

King Kong has the giant spider sequence, which is more horror than is contained in several of Bong Joon-ho's entries combined.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

The Howling made me consider if we could do a tournament for finding the Best Werewolf Movie. Not that I have any reason to prefer that as a tournament choice. *Covers avatar*

The Company of Wolves would sweep it. I can't think of another werewolf movie that even comes close.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Dog Soldiers and Brotherhood of the Wolf are both fantastic

They are both good. But Company is one of those very rare things, a movie which is both horror and art.

E: Pit and the Pendulum sucks balls. This should literally be a complete shutout for Whale.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Frankenstein is carried by three things: Colin Clive as Dr. Victor Frankenstein, Boris Karloff as The Monster, and Jack Pierce's make-up design work.

Whereas P&TP is carried by two things, and they're attached to Rona Di Ricci's chest. She can't act. Everyone else is dubbed, in some cases from English to heavily accented English. For some reason the scriptwriter decided to steal Agnes Nutter's comedy burning from Good Omens and slap it in the middle of a gothic horror. It's just bad, Frank, sorry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

I'm just gonna say that I stopped reading as soon as you limited reduced the actress to her body.

Then you just gave yourself a reason to never vote for Stuart Gordon here, because he certainly objectified Di Ricci and I object to that. I'm in agreement with you that reducing an actress to her body is a bad thing and that's a big part of why I think Gordon's Pit is a bad movie. If I wasn't adequately clear on that then that's my fault and I apologise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TrixRabbi posted:

Dawn has a strange power to it. It's probably the weakest of the trilogy but it's the most mystifying, the one people always come back to and with the most iconic imagery. It's not just that it hits all the right notes in its political commentary and on the nose satire of consumerism -- it's the humanism that underlies it. There's so much empathy and sadness in the way the dead are portrayed, the brief, mid-film scene where the female lead looks at one of the zombies through the glass of a shop is heart wrenching. This is a movie that so deeply reaches from its heart to portray the most grotesque horrors. There's no glee in it whatsoever.

That's a good assessment, but it's not an argument for Dawn being the weakest of the trilogy. Day lacks the very heart that you're lauding Dawn for possessing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Holy poo poo. Just...man. Did not expect those results.

I voted for Honda! My vote made a difference!

I voted against Bong because Parasite isn't a horror movie. But Jesus, people, some of those results are travesties.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm going to chuck out one more thing in favour of Carpenter: good as it is, Alien was not entirely the product of skill. Had Dan O'Bannon's Star Beast been the movie that was made, it would have been utterly forgotten by anyone outside the CineD horror threads. O'Bannon himself freely admitted that much of what he'd written was plagiarised from other SF movies. Then there were so many things that they wanted to do on the movie that would have ruined it if they hadn't been stopped, not least the von Danikenesque stuff that was later derided when Scott recycled it in Prometheus. So it's a great movie, but it's actually better than the movie Scott wanted to make.

Christine, on the other hand, is meticulous. It came right in the middle of a decade through which Carpenter could do no wrong, and it doesn't stand out as inferior to his other movies of the period. It understands the material and makes it work - a rarity with movie adaptations of King novels, which all too often rush to the high points at the expense of plot or become bloated by crowbarring in as much as they can.

In short: Christine is its director's vision, but Alien is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Now I'll gladly defend Christine against people saying it's one of Carpenter's weaker movies, but y'all REALLY desperate to convince yourselves that it's better than ALIEN. It's SUCH a good slasher movie that people don't even mention it when it comes to slasher movies, it just crushes all competition.

We're judging directors here, not movies. It's possible to direct with greater skill yet produce a lesser movie, which is why the reigning Best Picture Oscar winner just tied with a dude in a cheap rubber suit.