Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BisonDollah posted:

Tom Holland
Fright Night
Child's Play
Thinner
The Langoliers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

BisonDollah posted:

Aw, were my missing suggestions too late?

I have no idea, I just figured Tom Holland's Langoliers was a big-enough deal at the time (that hasn't aged well) to be added to your list. It's also kinda funny how many Chucky champions there were last Bracketology, and yet Tom Holland, the director, got snubbed.

I'm not saying he's the best, but his film Fright Night is the best.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Those movies are charming and I only consider it a benefit in Lambert's favor in this tournament.

The first film is basically saved by a premise that somehow predates Harry Potter and has a really good production design and clever camera work that hides the limited budget.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

The first film was directed by Duwayne Dunham, who is not a name I expect anyone to know but if you want to spit out your coffee go look up his filmography as an editor.

I have seen 7 of his 10 films.

You're right though, he's a genuinely impressive editor. He doesn't edit his own movies either, which is strange!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

The makeup and animatronics in that film is pretty impressive

Also the costuming, which I just blanketed under Production Design, but you're right that they all deserve a shout-out. Robin Thomas does good stuff as the villain, too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Also, like, they're Disney Channel movies.

Homeward Bound and Little Giants are absolutely not Disney Channel movies.

Homeward Bound was theatrically released and Little Giants is a Warner Bros film. :colbert:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
When does this round of voting end?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oculus remains my "favorite" Flanagan. Hush has so many missed opportunities that possible were intended as subterfuge for horror tropes or audience expectations, but really it feels like the script needs one or two more drafts to tighten up threads that are left loose. I still appreciate the premise and the killer, but You're Next and Ready Or Not both do the crossbow killer better.

Hush did something wrong that I can't articulate, apparently, because Flanagan's done four films since Hush, and I haven't had an urge to watch any of them. Maybe it was seeing Absentia (which I abhor) after Oculus, and then seeing Hush that turned me off from his output.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't seen Doctor Sleep but I think Gerald's Game or Hill House are probably his best stuff. I think he's probably best suited to adapting stuff like that than creating his own because I definitely think he's a little "too clever by half" or his scripts can stand another go over or something. But he's good at crafting tension in character pieces so I'm looking forward to watching Doctor Sleep and future King adaptions.

I'm curious, why do you abhor Absentia? I don't think its great or anything. I remember seeing it back before Flanagan was a thing and thinking "that was interesting if flawed and I'm curious to see what this guy does next". I revisited awhile ago and like, I thought it was ok but still kind of flawed and rough around the edges. But I'm surprised it got such an intense reaction from you. Was it the drug and pregnancy stuff?

I will probably give Hill House a chance. I'm just genuinely bad about sticking to a show and following it through to the end. I get bored, or burned out, or I decide to watch a movie or play a video game and then lose steam towards finishing things. I do love haunted house stories, though, so I really should give it a chance.

I started Absentia pretty enthusiastic. The final act of the film did so little for me that it made all of the flaws full-on negatives for me.

The character drama of the two sisters, and the blurred questions of addiction and life choices with possibly legitimately supernatural or paranormal things affecting the one sister and her disappearance were all fine until they went unresolved. Usually I like movies that leave things up to the individual viewer, something that gives them negative space to fill in with ideas, theories or themes, but it's like walking a tightrope walk. If you're going to leave a story open-ended and unresolved, the characters, the themes, the music--everything else, basically--needs to be on-point. However, the sound design was mediocre to outright bad sometimes. As much as I like the two leads, I absolutely hated Justin Gordon's performance as the character Detective Lonergan. This is multiplied by the sound design, which, while effective for its bug noises, is terrible for many dialogue scenes. (I have harped on this a lot, and it may be pedantic, but why oh why did the foley artist include Justin Gordon's character work of constantly chewing gum part of the sound design?) The third act doesn't tie enough of the ideas together towards anything tangible to discuss.

I felt like the allusions to the Brothers Grimm started off like a strong, interesting idea, but I don't think that the allusions actually added up to anything thematically interesting. The imagery of the tunnel where people vanish was pretty good and scary, until it wasn't. By the time the film ended, what is supposed to be emotionally taxing was just boring. It's a film that accidentally ends like Monty Python's Holy Grail; instead of a satisfying conclusion, it just kinda ends. In real life, missing person cases go unresolved all the time, and leave the family and friends of the victims wanting more, but the film replicates this feeling like they lacked the budget for the original ending.What do all the analogies to Brothers Grimm add up to? I guess people just go missing and our stories reflect that? What's the deal with the tunnel? I guess it's just spooky and shows how...fate is...like a tunnel?

Like Hush, it's a film that feels like the script needed a few more eyes and rewrites before it went into production, but didn't have the time or budget to fix the issues.

For comparison, around the same time, the film They Look Like People did similar ideas, and I thought that film was very good for a micro-budget paranoid psychological thriller. Lake Mungo also manages a similar minimal scare, haunting tale of loss in an effective way, that leaves the audience feeling the loss of a missing person, and how there can't be satisfying conclusions, while still making the film's conclusion satisfying.

If you think I'm wrong and should revisit the film, I could. I see two 5 star reviews on my Letterboxd friends list, which is just baffling to me. I'd give it a 2.5 out of 5. Maybe a 2.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 8, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

It goes pretty quick, that's definitely one of it's strengths, it's lean and doesn't really waste any time.

Yeah, it's a little over 80 minutes and there's one or two moments where one of the writers or producers clearly thought "people always complain about this in home invasion movies, so what if we did this", and that works. I like Kate Siegel. A deaf protagonist is good, if underused. Crossbows are cool.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Burkion posted:

gently caress poo poo poo poo gently caress gently caress poo poo gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

:hmmyes:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'm happy to have Lamberto out in Round 1. I'm not a fan.

You're not only breaking my heart here, but you're breaking the heart of Demons and Demons 2.

It's pretty harsh having to vote for the best Stuart Gordon film when it's against one of my favorite directors from the B&W era. I Walked With A Zombie isn't one of my favorite Tourneurs, but it's still good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna try and play along like a few others and do double features of each of these from now on, if time permits. Delirium's new to me, but I just can't imagine something beating Invisible Man for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I love love love Demons. Which is why I've given Lamberto so many chances but I've never really enjoyed anything else he's done, although Demons 2 is decent. I should rewatch Demons 2 sometime because I kinda bounced off it the first time but it gets a lot of love around here.

You know what. Apparently I've seen Delirium? But I don't remember it. At all. So that's not a good sign.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Woohoo! No one in my family died today! I am free to breath, not feel like puking, and watch some horror films.

Think I'm gonna avoid the Black Christmases and Miikes and giallos though and go with the I Walked With a Zombie/From Beyond combo. Should be a good mood lifter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjPLkPsLxc4

I'm happy for you, bud! That's such a relief.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just to add my own two hits on the dead horse, I'd say that Lost Highway is primarily a horror film pretending to be/in the guise of a neo-noir. Ignoring the symbolism, a man changes identity through a body-horror sequence, a supernatural force that can bend reality is the catalyst for the action, and the plot circles around the repressed memory of murders. It's atmosphere is pure terror and anxiety.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is interested in watching Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust in the next half hour, a friend and I are going to do a simulwatch. 9PM EST

It's free in HD on YouTube and you can talk with me in the CineD discord in the Streaming Channel.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 11, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We are now also doing a simulwatch of Miike's Over Your Dead Body in the Discord streaming. Starting it at 11PM EST

Streaming free on TubiTV, also on Shudder

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Were those dumplings? My partner was convinced that they were either potatoes or cauliflower heads.

I think they’re dumplings made from biscuit dough.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is one of the more creative animated horror films I've seen. I made a joke during the live watch that it has a new creative idea every single minute. The art direction is fantastic, the animation is good, and the story was unpredictable throughout.

If it weren't paired against Miike's enigmatic Over Your Dead Body, it would have won the tussle. But Miike's blending of fiction and reality, a bridge between elaborate kabuki theater and cinema, an exploration of how acting is an otherworldly talent with ironic consequences, is just such a large endeavor, I can't help but be impressed and give Miike the win on this.

I rewatched William Castle's House On Haunted Hills. I've seen this movie plenty of times. It's like a haunted house amusement park ride, to it's credit. It's always charming, and it's great to watch on a lazy Sunday, or a rainy night.

However, the sinister cold Black Christmas comes out ahead for me. The absurdity of random murders from an insane deranged individual will never not be scary to me. Mixed with the spooky darkness, the excellent cast, the 70's-ness of it all. I have to give true horror more points than the fun silly macabre of House on Haunted Hill, even with Vincent Price's acidic performance.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Is voting ending Thursday again? I miss when the thread title let you know what day you had until.

Shrecknet, if you wanna go back to PMing me voting dates, I don't mind updating the post for this. Only takes me a few seconds (when I notice).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Genuine question: has a film used pinks, purples and blues in this way before From Beyond? Because there are so many movies afterwards I can point to and say "This is the lighting and color scheme of From Beyond." Like Stanley's Color out of Space definitely incorporated some of Gordon's lighting ideas to show the ultraviolent extradimensions bleeding into our reality. I can't think of a film that might have inspired this in From Beyond, besides general use of lighting and colors from, say, Argento.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Its really remarkable to see Whale go from Frankenstein and Old Dark House both of which are good but clearly kind of janky and "amateurish" in ways and in such a short time go to Bride and the Invisible Man which I think just completely hold up as "modern" films. Whale clearly had a really quick learning curve on the medium.

Bride has such insanely tight editing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I decided to rewatch The Invisible Man today with my partner this morning, and I enjoyed it a lot more this time. I wonder if Griffin was in any way an influence for later depictions of the Joker. I can't think of any others characters who just so gleefully derail trains, and spread complete vicious anarchy. I also loved how Whale squeezed as much camp and humour as possible into the brief pub scene before the icey Griffin arrived on screen.

I know it's such a trite thing to say, and it's weird to say in the middle of a pandemic, but if you ever get the chance to see it in theaters, it is such a crowd pleaser. Really emphasizes the humor throughout.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments: #37 House on Haunted Hill

#87 Black Christmas

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Love how they point out how HOHH is as pivotal to the development of the slasher as anything.

Tom Savini's amazement at the Ghost Woman scare is imprinted on my brain

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
HOHH is interesting because it's a Haunted House movie where the house is technically haunted and not ever fully explained, but that's not really what's "happening" with the characters.

Again, I love HOHH, I think it's great, but I still prefer Black Christmas. If I had to pick a classic haunted house movie, I would gravitate towards The Innocents and The Haunting before HOHH.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Castle and Clark both being allowed to continue just feels right.

Clark's horror filmography peaks with Black Christmas, but Deathdream is a fascinating nightmarish film and Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things is on the surface a not-good movie that has a lot of fascinating aspects to it that have stuck with me, to the point where I'd say it's just good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Martin is on Youtube in pretty good quality.

One copy. A different copy.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been going through my DePalma blind spots this year, so I'm pumped to have a reason to watch The Fury next. Definitely a rewarding filmography to dive into, warts and all.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Rodan is also available on Criterion Channel, the best streaming service.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Gentle reminder that, as hard as it is, you must judge solely on Martin vs Destroyer, and cannot consider the masterpiece that is Jennifers Body when voting

Or Night of the Living Dead

No joke, Martin is Romero’s best movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Just behind The Crazies?

I'm not a big fan of The Crazies. I'm due for a rewatch, but the first time I found it relatively underwhelming.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At MacheteZombie's recommendation, I created a channel just for this thread in the CineD discord. That way everyone can have a place to stream together and talk in real time in discord without worrying if others are using the stream thread.

I am going to try and get some stuff together to stream one or two of the double features this weekend, or maybe streaming the slightly-harder-to-find films, like Memories of Murder

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
DDD, I really appreciate your write-up, it summarizes my thoughts on Memories succinctly. Such a great film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does Two Thousand Maniacs get extra points for inspiring 10,000 Maniacs?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Fury is De Palma doing a better Scanners before Cronenberg even had an idea for Scanners. There are hints of Firestarter, but it's a wholly unique, paranoid paranormal thriller with striking horror imagery, all set to an awesomely underappreciated John Williams score.

It's just crazy good. It felt like a 4 hour movie told in two hours, and I mean that as a huge compliment.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What I found most interesting about Rodan (so far, I kinda have to finish the final act, cuz I kept dozing off at the end due to late-night viewings) is that, unlike most Kaiju movies, the first two acts are ostensibly creature feature monster movies, similar to The Blob, Them!, Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Honda could have just made "Godzilla, but Rodan", and instead gave us a completely different movie (with similar themes that don't heavily overlap), illustrating the breadth of possibilities of storytelling with Kaiju films.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've still got 2,000 Maniacs and Destroyer to watch, and then hopefully rewatches of Martin and Maniac Cop 2. I'd like to rewatch Planet Terror as well, but will I have the time??

There were a lot of movies to watch this week. I know there's still four days left, but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Fury is so good that I immediately bought it from Arrow, since it's included in their current sale.