Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Alright you heathens:

Roger Corman
A Bucket of Blood
The Little Shop of Horrors
The Masque of the Red Death
Pit and the Pendulum
The Haunted Palace
It Conquered the World

I wanted to put Wasp Woman in there instead of Haunted Palace but I know that's an objectively wrong opinion.

e: and don't forget to let his producing work help sway you for a win in his direction

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

OK I am sorry and I'm adding Fulci. I'll extend the list past 60 and we can start throwing out 4-film directors when we're ready to move on.

What do we do if we already submitted our rankings?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, when I was looking last night I couldn't find that one and a bunch of others, especially the Japanese/Korean films. I think Shreck is right that a number of these votes are gonna end up with a film most people haven't and can't see.

This is why I was advocating for a small bracket where it's one film against one other film. That way people can actually watch the films week to week, otherwise the first half of the bracket is just going to be a popularity contest. I found myself having to do that in the preliminary round where there were a handful of filmmakers whose entire body of work I'd never seen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Burkion posted:

This is one of the only ways you can pit people like him against people like Romero, Craven and Carpenter, who worked for decades in the field.

Have you heard Carpenter talk about his career? It's generally with the sort of attitude of "Well, doesn't do me any good that my movies are beloved now. If people had bothered seeing the things at the time then maybe I could have actually done half of what I wanted to do."

It's not the same situation, obviously, but I know at least two of your examples are directors who didn't get the career they wanted and eventually stopped getting the films they wanted to make funded.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was just assuming we'd all vote them out in the first round, allowing their loss to buoy a lesser-known but more deserving director to another round.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Love that Tim Burton and Ed Wood are going to get knocked out together in the first round :discourse:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just want a horror anthology where 4 directors at the top of their game direct the same script, or maybe 4 writer/directors adapt the same short story.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, this is a similar pattern to the old thread so it's nothing to be concerned about, but I do think the voting periods on these early rounds should be a bit shorter moving forward. I think this is going to keep happening when the lesser-known filmmakers are up against the titans—there just isn't as much to say as when you're debating two beloved favorites.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A 1950s monster movie sells itself in my book :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: at Burton's win, but I adore Sleepy Hollow as a Hammer film cranked up to 11 so I think the right child died based on the movie matchup.