Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Time for a new Bracketology! We are voting now! Check the third post! Here are some rules:
  • Spreadsheet will be set up for 64 Directors of Horror films.
  • Spreadsheet will also have columns for "top 6 horror films" by each director. (second page)
  • All lists will be randomized before each round begins, from the director's movies that have not been selected yet this tournament
  • Committee to Overrule Stupid Decisions retains the right to overrule any stupid decisions
  • Committee consists of me, STAC, Burkion, Basebf, MacheteZombie, Debbie Does Dagon and TrixRabbi
  • 'Stupid Decisions' is defined as trying to sneak in Not-Horror onto a list, leaving off a vastly better movie or not listing the full 6 when six options exist.
  • Each round voting criteria is on "BEST MOVIE" but that means whatever you want, just don't vote on 'historical importance' or 'started career of x'
  • Normal Bracket advancement
  • ONCE THE FRIGHTFUL FOUR IS REACHED, all "used" films refresh. Final rounds can use previously-used movies

As an example, I will steal the best horror director who will win.

quote:

Wes Craven
1. Scream
2. Nightmare on Elm Street
3. Scream 4
4. New Nightmare
5. Red Eye
6. The Hills Have Eyes

If I had put "6. Chiller" then I would expect one of the Committee to Overrule Stupid Decisions stepped in to be like, "nah, it's gonna be HHE"

BEGIN!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CURRENT VOTING: Hateful Eight

PREVIOUS VOTING:Eastern Sweet Six-Scream
Western Sweet Six-Scream
Duos Rd 2
Tokyo Round 2
Rome Rd 2
Return to Tinseltown!
Duos Knockout Rd 2
Duos Knockout Rd 1
TOKYO KNOCKOUT Rd 2!
Tokyo Knockout Pt 1
Rome Knockout Round, pt 2
6/25: Tinseltown Knockout pt 2 concluded
6/19: Tinseltown Knockout pt 1 concluded

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 17, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The order will be randomized, just post the best 6 Stuart Gordons.

quote:

Larry Cohen:

Its alive
Q
The Stuff
God told me to
See China and die
Special effects

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Joe Dante
Gremlins
Gremlins 2
The Burbs
Screwfly Solution (MoH)
Howling
Burying the Ex

quote:

David R Ellis
Final Destination 2
Final Destination 5
Shark Night 3-D
Asylum

quote:

Alejandra Aja
High Tension
Crawl
Hills Have Eyes 06
Horns
Piranha 10

quote:

Chuck Russell
The Blob 88
Nightmare on Elm St 3: Dream Warriors

quote:

Robert Rodriguez
From Dusk Till Dawn
The Faculty
Planet Terror

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 9, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Done. I honestly haven't seen it and didn't know it was horror. Thought it was more Sin City than FDTD.

Someone do Hitchcock, Friedkin, Joel Shumacher (go look!), Park Chan-Wook, Sion Sono, Fede Alvarez, Ryûhei Kitamura, Paul WS Anderson, M Night Shyamalan maybe?, Neil Marshall, Adam Wingard, Tom Holland, Luca Bercovici and Sean S. Cunningham

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 9, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

As of this moment the 16-director Jungle Primary is now FULL. You may still submit for that category, but only with a direct appeal to THE COUNCIL (besides me). Make your case on who should be bumped, and plead to a council member of your choice. The decision will be 100% theirs to respond to.

Reminder that the council consists of STAC, Burkion, Basebf, Timeless, Debbie Does Dagon and TrixRabbi

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 9, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Ryûhei Kitamura

Midnight Meat Train
Versus
No One Lives
Downrange
Nightmare Cinema
Godzilla: Final Wars

quote:

The Speirig Brothers

Undead
Daybreakers
Jigsaw
Winchester

Also moved Landis to the full-size bracket by adding Twilight Zone and Thriller. Removed Antonia Bird and Charles Laughton, sorry they can't just get one movie over and over the whole tourney.

There are now 3 slots left for the Jungle Minibracket!

There are now 8 slots left for the main Director Bracket!
:justpost:

My J-Horror knowledge is a travesty; someone tell me which 6 Shinya Tuskamoto movies are the best?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 9, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

Paul WS Anderson

Event Horizon
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Afterlife
Resident Evil Retribution
Resident Evil Final Chapter
AVP

quote:

Steve Beck

Ghost Ship
Th13teen Ghosts

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Found the spreadsheet.

Mini-Bracket

Jennifer Kent

The Babadook
The Nightingale

Alright! That's it, Jungle Bracket sorted! 3 spots remain on the main roster! Coucil members, if you spot any omissions to get to 6 films or a better 6 than what's under a director's name, PM me or post here if you don't have PMs.

STAC Goat posted:

I guess we're operating under Kvlt! rules but I think my Flanagan submission is at least as credible as the Paul WS Anderson one.
Oh WOW! I didn't see your post somehow and didn't add your entries. They're all there now, sorry! :eek:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 9, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

A few spots left.

Who wants to give me David Schmoeller's best six or Uwe Boll's?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

And we are full!

married but discreet posted:

Park Chan Wook
Thirst
Stoker
3 Extremes: Cut
Oldboy
Sympathy for Mrs. Vengeance
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

Oh no! Park Chan Wook came in just after the cutoff (gently caress Roman Polanski, he doesn't get to be in a tournament for anything good)

If one of the council wants to bump a director with only 4 entries from the main bracket, I'll put Park in there. I have it sorted by # of films now, just someone pick a cut

:honk::honk::honk::honk::honk::honk::honk::honk:

Seeding! Do we want just random seeding, or some sort of ranked list? I can also assign seeds based on where they finished in the Best Franchise bracket (and do randomized for unseeded entries) if that works?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 9, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I'm all about the ballots and votes and that just doesn't seem to be the thing people want, but if you're doing a jungle primary before the field of 64 then is there any harm in doing a big seeding vote for the 60 during that like you did with the main one? Am I remembering that wrong? Didn't we all vote for a big field at some point?
e: Seeding being determined...

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 9, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Feel like we should maybe allow a little more time and get some extra submissions and then whittle it down by executive committee or through ranked choice cutoff. Like, no offense to some of these submissions, but it would be lame to include some pretty forgettable names only to realize we left off an underrated heavyweight or two.
You are right, I deleted the main 60 poll because it's not complete/finessed

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel like we can't have this tournament without Fulci, Franco, Roth and Tourneur. Ishiro Honda feels like he represents a whole other realm of the genre that's mostly missing here, Adam Wingard is a recent up and comer who deserves to duke it out. Charles Band is kinda dumb but he's such an establishment in the genre it'd be tough to knock him off. Feel like we should pump these dudes into the ranked choice vote and then those who miss the cutoff just don't get in.

edit: Polanski was nominated on this page but isn't on the sheet either.
Again, you're right, but Polanski is a loving pederast so gently caress him. Victor Bava doesn't get on here either. :colbert:

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm clearly on ignore around here, smh. :cry:

I nominated Fulci.

2 of my nominations were overlooked and my third was thrown out! This anti MZ thread has me steaming mad!
OK I am sorry and I'm adding Fulci. I'll extend the list past 60 and we can start throwing out 4-film directors when we're ready to move on.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

Last time I'll suggest this, I promise.

What if we just toss out the 16 jungle primary, collect all the names/submissions, and do one big ranked choice jungle primary? Alternative decide who the "automatic bids" are and put the rest in a big ranked choice jungle primary? I think its probably the fairest way to speed this along but also make sure we don't overly snub anyone. And we can keep the movie roulette thing intact even if like Jordan Peele sneaks into a 4 seed or something.
You know what? I'm in for this. I'm gonna throw out the JP poll too. Each Council Member elects one director to move on, once they have all selected, we'll do a ranked-choice thingy after.

Council Member's Choices (#1 and 2 seeds in each bracket):
Shrecknet (Takashi Miike)
STAC (John Carpenter)
Burkion (Ishiro Honda)
Basebf ( Mario Bava )
Timeless
Debbie Does Dagon (Hitchcock)
TrixRabbi (David Lynch)
and since there are only 7, I'm awarding a special guest choice to Machete Zombie since he has to endure the bad news that Charles Naughton cannot be in this tournament. (Dario Argento)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 9, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Someone reach out to Timeless Appeal, I initially put them on the council because of their impassioned effortposting in the last thread but they don't have PMs and haven't posted in this thread. If they aren't interested, then there's an at-large council seat up I guess.

I selected the original council based on post count in the first bracktology thread, so if Timeless is burnt out or whatever itd be Married But Discreet taking their spot.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

someone pick the 6 best Friedkin movies TIA

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cape Fear is the only one on that list that is even horror adjacent.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Well, I solved our "Need an 8th Director" issue.

Thus, Jungle Seeding Starts Now!

The easiest way to do it is, I think, to give everyone 28 votes. That's halfway to 56, which is how many entrants we'll have. Vote for your 28 favorites, and the top 56 vote-getters will get in, with seeding determined by overall vote share.

THIS MEANS VOTING STRATEGICALLY! If you think Lucky McKee really needs to get in, you might feel safe leaving Carpenter off your list, confident he'll get in. BUT- that could make him a lower seed. Choose wisely! The 28 Directors are yours to decide!

:siren::siren: VOTE HERE! VOTE NOW! :siren::siren:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

But do we still have time as a council to rule on Poltergeist somehow being absent from Tobe Hooper's catalogue? Because what the hell? I've never seen Eaten Alive and I like Salem's Lot a lot, but its definitely not better than Poltergeist. And Invaders from Mars doesn't feel super horror. I mean I'm saying it shouldn't count, just not over Poltergeist.
That's why you're on the council! Invaders from Mars is cut, Poultergeist (at least the parts not stolen from Tobe and directed by Spielberg) is now on the list.

STAC Goat posted:

There's a surprising number of films I'm not familiar with though, which speaks really poorly to my own horror fandom still being filled with a ton of holes but also means I'll probably have fun watching new movies during this.
That's actually my main concern this time around. While I love that this forum dug into woman and foreign directors to get entrants, I worry that many of the films are less-than-easy to get your hands on these days. And if half the voters can't actually see the film, it isn't gonna beat even a mediocre major Hollywood release.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 10, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

one on Disney+ (guess which one?)
Corpse Bride?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I will tell you, looking at the early results, that only one director has appeared on every ballot, and it isn't Tobe Hooper or George Romero.

Joe Dante

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alright, votes are in, we have enough to make a bracket, I did a "sort/random" on the top 8 directors who get their seeds, it's time to d-d-d-d-DUEL!!

Here's the Bracket!

I'll be posting the matchups tomorrow morning after hitting random.org for a number, 1-6. I'll also be totally randomizing each director's filmography. Now is the time to argue over seeds and make predictions.

Clever viewers will note I lumped all 7 qualifying 2-film directors in their own sub-bracket so that we won't have to argue over quantity vs quality.

If anyone wants to take a stab at re-naming the divisions, go nuts.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 12, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So a couple things and questions.

On the main Bracket sheet, I've put each director and their filmography that will be used, in order, on the second tab (use the tabs at the bottom), so you can see when your fave's best work is coming up.

Since this is going off single films, and people need time to, ah... locate them, and then watch anything they haven't seen, which is gonna be a lot of movies, do we want to slow down and have 4 matchups a week (instead of the usual 8) in the early rounds?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CRYSTAL LAKE Round 1, Pt 1 VOTING IS NOW OPEN

Corman doing Poe vs Shirome by Koji Shirashi

Faust from 1926 vs 1/3 of Three...Extremes. (Three Extemes is on Amazon Prime)

A battle of each director's least-inspired work. Welp. Cabin Fever 2 is on Tubi

Michele Soavi might be the best director on this list, but I doubt it matters. Stagefright is on Prime.

:siren: VOTE AFTER WATCHING AS MUCH AS YOU CAN! :siren:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 12, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I found as many as I could using legal/available means, but I think we're gonna have to stream Lost Highway in the discord because it just does not exist online.

As a side note, collecting the images and finding links for the matchups is incredibly annoying and time consuming, so if anyone wants to hit up Letterboxd and use the Inspect Element -> Open in New Tab -> Download image to get me the rest of Round 1's entries, it would be much appreciated. You don't have to do all 48, just let people know you're gonna do some segment and then just do those and dropbox/googledocs them to me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jedit posted:

Losing it to Rob loving Zombie then going up against Ridley Scott with his weakest film is a bit much, though.

Kvlt! Made his choice and we have to stand by it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah just grab like the next 30 or so, it'll save me a ton of time. Dont worry about rd 2, it'll be half as many that time

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK I just watched Masque of the Red Death for the first time, knowing nothing other than "Corman/Price doing Poe" (I've read it a few times in my life) and holy crap is it just the best. The sort of sumptuous sets you'd expect from the Biblical Epics of the time, Price out of his loving mind amazing, and so many camera tricks and choices that show Corman was more than just a huckster who never lost money. They even worked in what is probably my favorite Poe short story, Hop-Frog

I similarly know nothing of Shirome, but it's got a lot of ground to make up.

Voting ends on Juneteenth.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Can someone pm me what the gently caress the ending of cut was about?

Also cut loving owns

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

There just aren't many anthologies where I'd say "it's basically perfect, I wouldn't change a thing". Creepshow, Trick R Treat, Kwaidan, Black Sabbath and....that might be it?
THIS IS TALES FROM THE HOOD ERASURE!! :kratos:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Initially I was put off by Faust's runtime. I dearly love Nosferatu but it does drag and needs some editing. But wow. It's actually really good! I went and changed my vote.

I do wonder if other people (especially non-thread regulars) feel a bit put off by the almost-homework like aspect of "watch 8 movies in a week and give your opinion" but maybe that's just because not everyone feels the way I do about the opportunity to explore new movies.

STAC Goat posted:

Well you got Argento/Bava, Lynch/Hitchcock, Miike/Honda and Zombie/Carpenter. You couldn't have been done that by accident. So like something along the likes of Giallo, Psychological, J-Horror, and Slasher seems natural. Gotta be more clever ways to say that though.

Or Rome, Hollywood, Tokyo, and Haddonfield? Something along those lines?
It actually was random, but sometimes things just work out :)
Updated to Tinseltown, Rome, Tokyo and Duos (all the two-movie guys) division

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 16, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ok starting tomorrow we'll got to 5 days instead of 7, with an option to go down to 4.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

We had a slew of votes in the final hour, so I think we're just gonna kick it down to 6 days from 7 as that feels like a good compromise in the early rounds. Anyway, RESULTS!

No real surprises, each of the favorites handily won their matchups, with Faust from 1926 having the stiffest competition, showing just how drat good Murnau is that a 94 year old film still has legs. Argue below, and I'll have part two of the Tinseltown division up shortly.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tinseltown Knockout Round, PART DEUX! VOTE HERE! VOTE NOW! (or after watching these competitors)

Afterlife is on Netflix, Survival Quest... you're on your own.

Dead Ringers is on Prime, Halloweentown II is on Disney+(!!!)

The Beyond is on Shudder; The Addiction is only on Starz

The Birds is absolutely nowhere for free. Sick Girl straight-up is not available to stream anywhere at all. So, uh, good luck?

We'll have SIX DAYS to get in your views and then vote. VOTING ENDS JUNE 25th!! VOTE HERE! VOTE NOW! (or after watching these competitors)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

:siren: Shrecknet :siren:. Brian De Palma may have The Black Dahlia listed for his films, however I'm not sure if it really counts as horror or if it's more of a neo-noir. Before we get to him I'd hate for him to draw something that ends up being ostensibly non-horror.
Thriller/Suspense is allowed, theres more to horror than gore and slashers ;)

Also im excited to see Halloweentown 2, I think kids horror is such a fine needle to thread and legit way more difficult than adult spooks

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

K. Waste posted:

Nobody ever mentions $hopping, but it’s pretty good.

I legit think Death Race is one of the best films of 2008 and is almost Verhoeven level quality as a satire.

It also has the best gay character of the decade in any non-queer directed film.

Sadly like $hopping it isnt even suspense much less horror, but it is drat good and worth a rewatch

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There's a running gag in Don’t Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood where after the sort of pseudo-deep but utterly surface-level observation endemic to genre directors doing a try-hard piece for the first time, the director literally comes on-screen, spikes the camera and yells "MESSAGE!" and I think about that a lot.

Anyway, The Addiction is a movie about ̶d̶r̶u̶g̶s̶vampires.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

There was definitely an alternate version of this event in my mind that would certainly be doomed to failure where The Council would be assigned several directors each and choose each round, to try and skillfully use the weaker entries against softer competition or blow their wad on an early tough matchup, like actual MLB managers and pitching matchups.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It is always advantageous to have your worst film first, as the earlier rounds have weaker competition that a marginal film will skate through and then its nothing but haymakers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

I still feel like maybe we should remove shorts and anthology segments from competition since the vast majority of films here are features.

Sent you a PM; if you wanna tinker with the director list (swapping features for shorts) go nuts. I'm also amenable to swapping Red Eye for tPUtS. I like Red Eye more but the council seems to prefer people.