Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

When everyone was saying that there was a kaneto shindo movie coming up that might be a big surprise winner i just assumed it was the incomparable Onibaba. His whole run of films in the mid 60s is great

unrelated aaaaaah stop making food analogies movies aren't food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Onibaba is a mind blowing fusion of noh theatre conventions with the aesthetic of a tourneur film and the content of an erotic exploitation film. It’s incredible you barbarians

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

married but discreet posted:

Poltergeist vs The Quiet Family

Not much to say about Poltergeist from my side - it's fun!
The Quiet Family is Korea bravely attempting to remake a Takashi Miike movie. Not one of his "normal" movies, it's definitely a real rear end Miike movie, and how does one even approach this? The attempt is to make it more technically accomplished (easily done, Happiness of the Katakuris is sloppy Miike) and more grounded, and cast better actors such as Kang-ho Song. As a result, it sort of works better and it's more traditionally funny, but it also ends before Katakuris even starts to get proper nuts. So it's a solid movie, but nothing that can beat Poltergeist.

Katakuris is a remake of quiet family, not the other way around

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

married but discreet posted:

what the gently caress

there are also multiple indian remakes in various languages, i watched one of them and it was really bad and the house was haunted

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

The Nabakov influences are apparent in the unflinching portrayal of the taboo...

I think, the difference for me, is that the parasite offers sexual liberation to it's victims, but also ushers in an entire new society through that. The result of the attack is a new mutation, a new step in human evolution. It is the destruction of systems and status quos through stimulation and pleasure and eroticism. There will be no more racism, or homophobia. There is no more ownership, so there is no more theft. Of course, there is more horror to this idea; the death of the ego, the individual becoming a sexually charged hive-mind. But with this death, In a way, it's a perverse parody of, say, Christianity, where the idea of "accepting Christ in your heart" is now accepting a parasite, salvation is unbridled sexuality, the paradise of heaven has been replaced by a never-ending orgy. Or is it an orgy that ends in the death of everyone involved, like untreated syphilis that destroys the brain? or does everyone starve to death or collapse from exhaustion?

I'd also throw in JG Ballard as an obvious influence, and of course Cronenberg's whole career is in conversation with Ballards to the point of later adapting Crash. Shivers is more or less itself an adaptation of High Rise, and specifically the way that Ballard described his novels as being about "picturing the psychology of the future" is relevant to how we understand it. Cronenberg is writing about how the isolation and depersonalization of living in a bourgeois apartment complex "community" alters the psychology and culture of the society and encourages depravity and atavism. He's just not didactic about it, and represents this social breakdown with gently caress slugs. It's the same idea as in 28 Days Later or Pontypool where human interaction itself is so traumatic it can only be mediated through violence and sex.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Thank you for adding JG Ballard's High Rise to the conversation, because it is a huge influence on Shivers. I haven't read it (yet), and didn't want to introduce it if I couldn't talk about it from having read it.

I'll try to write some more about it later but you should read high rise because it's good, yes, if flawed, but also because it's like 250 pages and you can do it in a weekend easy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Altered States is way better than The Howling you’re mad. Mad I say

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

TrixRabbi posted:

Y’know. It’s honestly funny how Altered States ends up going against a werewolf movie. That’s a really good pairing.

Yeah they're way more directly comparable films than you would expect from the titles/premises.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jedit posted:

King Kong has the giant spider sequence, which is more horror than is contained in several of Bong Joon-ho's entries combined.

Heavenly Creatures is also at the very least horror adjacent so to speak

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I know that Heavenly Creatures scared/disturbed the gently caress out of me when I first saw it at age 10 or so. Genre doesn't really mean anything as broadly as it's been constituted for this game and Heavenly Creatures is certainly as horrific as like, Memories of Murder or something.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Notably Fran Walsh and Peter Jackson drew a lot of inspiration for Heavenly Creatures from Angela Carter's (at the time) unproduced screenplay for a fictionalized take on the same, so that's a little extra horror pedigree. You can read Carter's screenplay in the odds and ends collection of her plays and scripts, The Curious Room.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Franchescanado posted:

Who chose Honda's roster? If Half Human was such a possible loss, why did someone posit that for his roster instead of something else? Like War of the Gargantuans.

Yeah I would definitely have gone with War of the Gargantuas and The H-Man which both wreck over Half Human and either Human Vapor or Frankenstein Conquers the World. I mean hey, he won anyway though.

MacheteZombie posted:

*hand clap emote*

wow small round for new watches for me. Onibaba and Salem's Lot. Though Hooper getting a tv movie that he's not credited for seems iffy y'all.

Onibaba is great. Salem's lot basically sucks but it has a couple good shots and one really good scare.

TrixRabbi posted:

Excited for those of you who haven't seen The Babadook to learn the movie actually has nothing to do with queer identity at all.

That whole matchup is movies that i like less than their reputation, but at least hereditary and get out are actually good. get out is head and shoulders above the other two though

Franchescanado posted:

edit: I'm pretty happy everyone's gonna have to watch Onibaba, though. It's still a fascinating ghost story. It's currently streaming on Criterion Channel, with a 21 minute interview with Kaneta Shindo and a 40 minute making-of documentary.

I love onibaba even more than kuroneko, but i'm already preparing myself for when it and wwitch both lose to dream warriors, which i think is mediocre. i see how the wind blows in this thread.

TrixRabbi posted:

Honestly, Carpenter being an underdog is what this thread needed to really stay exciting. I was worried when this started that Carpenter was just gonna waltz his way to victory but actually having a challenge here is wonderful.

I loving love Christine. This matchup is brutal for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Altered States is tonally weird because the lean doesn't earn his ending. The whole film feels like its headed towards his hubris destroying him and then it doesn't and instead he's saved by the power of love. Which I don't inherently hate as a storytelling device when you have something like Poltergeist that really works that angle, but AS was going the exact opposite way until the ending.

At one point of this tournament I actually accidently counted Altered States as a Cronenberg film just because it appeared to put the value of scientific discovery and transforming humanity into something greater as the most important thing over general emotions or sensibilities. But it also weirdly tries to have that in the end too. I suppose Russell's point was the opposite of Cronenberg's and that the scientist learned his lesson in the end. But it didn't feel like he did.

i think it's less that he learned a lesson and more that people don't actually suffer for being assholes. usually they just keep being assholes and people keep giving them more chances