Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

2.35:1 is an all timer, but The Third Man is in 1.33:1 so it might be objectively the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I dislike when 1.85:1 films are changed to 1.77:1 and when 2.35:1 films are changed to 1.77:1 and when 2.55:1 films are changed to 1.33:1.

It should be ILLEGAL.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

:hai:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Remember the dark days before dvds when you got pan and scan 4:3 video or nothing at all. Maybe laserdiscs had letterboxing, never had them.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
whatever imax is is the best

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

Remember the dark days before dvds when you got pan and scan 4:3 video or nothing at all. Maybe laserdiscs had letterboxing, never had them.

Yes, thankfully some were open matte. CRT TVs have overscan as well so everyone was missing the far edges even if they were lucky to get a letterboxed VHS.

LD had way more titles in their proper ratios but still had pan and scan as well.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CED even had a few letterboxed discs

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

CED even had a few letterboxed discs

:staredog: never heard of those. Extremely cool

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I lost my poo poo when the aspect ratio changed at the end of High Life. Very cool effect, but I wonder how many people never even noticed it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The pan and scan VHS release of Magnolia changed the aspect to letterbox for a couple of scenes.

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
i first saw star wars on the 92 letterboxed VHS release (with no special edition poo poo). sometimes the fates smile on our brief lives

WrongThreadFred
Dec 19, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
e: sorry, nm wrong thread

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all streaming services that gently caress with aspect ratios should go to Guantanamo. that's just my opinion

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Heard Wong kar-wai is changing the aspect ratio for his criterion remasters...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

Heard Wong kar-wai is changing the aspect ratio for his criterion remasters...

Yeah, a couple of them were originally in 1.66:1 so he's fixing them as they've only been available as 1.85:1.

One of the films is more up for debate (Fallen Angels).

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lot of aspect ratio discourse lately.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I like how WandaVision is using aspect ratio changes, does a really good job making the parts in the show feel more claustrophobic.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I like how WandaVision is using aspect ratio changes, does a really good job making the parts in the show feel more claustrophobic.

what are they doing? is it like that scene with Uma Thurman in Nymphomaniac?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Nolan films change in the middle when they go to 70mm imax.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Watching Zack Snyder Justice league and imagining a 4:3 TV set as wide as my current TV :dudsmile:

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

big rear end 4:3 rear projection TVs were ballin back in the day

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

the first thing i ever watched on my new tv when i moved into an apartment was the shining and i torrented the 4:3 version (note: stanley kubrick is an auteur and shoots everythging 4:3) which had helicopter shadows in shot over the intro so i assumed it was some kind of bootleg,. so i cropped it down to 16:9 and watched it in a lovely low resolution, but it was better.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I insist on only watching everything in 1:1:1 cubevision

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cinerama and its goofy-rear end "smilebox"

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
just lol if you don't think every movie should be like a snake that completely encircles the viewer

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Egbert Souse posted:

finally a movie set in St. Louis

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Nice use of aspect ratios in Everything everywhere all at once (2022). Big ups to Daniels

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hey, they shot this with a 3mm camera!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Post your favorite aspect ratio changes I’ll start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5hRiWSdp8I

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

What's interesting here is you can kinda see where the "joins" are between the three separate film images. It's like if every movie used split screen effects all the time

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i like it when movies deliberately change aspect ratio for psychological effect. some real A-grade simulacrum poo poo right there

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The slow shift that happens later in Homecoming's first season is perfectly executed. I don't really want to elaborate on it, but anyone who has seen it probably knows the moment.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

James Gunn is making different versions of guardians of the galaxy 3 for every single aspect ratio? Anyone heard about this?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Mister Kingdom posted:

Hey, they shot this with a 3mm camera!

Hollywood should stop being cowards and produce a theatrically released film in whatever aspect ratio my portrait mode cellphone is.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

the first thing i ever watched on my new tv when i moved into an apartment was the shining and i torrented the 4:3 version (note: stanley kubrick is an auteur and shoots everythging 4:3) which had helicopter shadows in shot over the intro so i assumed it was some kind of bootleg,. so i cropped it down to 16:9 and watched it in a lovely low resolution, but it was better.

From what I understand, it's meant to work either way.

I don't think Kubrick minded the helicopter shadows; I think he figured it was common enough to see occasional helicopters flying around scenic areas that seeing a helicopter shadow wasn't movie-breaking.

I'm just talking out my rear end though, so...

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Post your favorite aspect ratio changes I’ll start

Loved the intro to X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NBAH9l0dMo

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

James Gunn is making different versions of guardians of the galaxy 3 for every single aspect ratio? Anyone heard about this?

Sure y not

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It totally rules that smart tvs don't know what the gently caress to do with standard definition DVDs that are 4x3 with a 16x9 hard matte so my copy of Johnny Mnemonic sits in a sea of black when I watch it.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

Jack Torrents over here. There's a shot in that sequence at the end where you can see the propeller spinning at the top of the screen too. Kubrick didn't shoot any of the intro sequence of the movie iirc. It was the second unit. Kubrick stayed in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

ruddiger posted:

It totally rules that smart tvs don't know what the gently caress to do with standard definition DVDs that are 4x3 with a 16x9 hard matte so my copy of Johnny Mnemonic sits in a sea of black when I watch it.

They're just displaying them as the DVDs were intended.