Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

cheetah7071 posted:

This is a bit off topic but leftists seem to use "liberal" differently from how everybody else uses it (in America at least). What exactly does a leftist mean when they call a person or idea a liberal? Is conservatism the right edge of liberalism under this definition, or is it still a separate school of thought?

In addition to what everyone else has said, part of what you're seeing is here is a function of marketing and Overton Window pushing in the US. From an economic standpoint, it's correct to say that the Dem/Repub divide is not very large. I'd hesitate to say there's no difference between the two parties because that's dumb, one of them is literally a death cult and one is simply Really Bad but from an economics standpoint it's pretty true. Republicans simply want the economy to more blatantly cater to corporations than Dems, but otherwise they want capitalism with few rules and market based solutions.

However far right conservatives have spend decades trying to vilify anyone even slightly to the left of them as The Most Dangerous Leftist ever, so it gives you the false impression that Liberals are massive opposites of the conservatives on every issue, when functionally it's simply a social policy split. Because of this people who might more accurately describe themselves as centrists or even conservatives identify as "Liberal" thinking they're opposite of people who are closer to them in policy than leftists are.

Which is also why US liberals are more likely to side with conservatives than leftists when the rubber hits the road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Epic High Five posted:

one thing I can tell you as someone who hoots and hollars to the public about this stuff, give me a hundred "voted for Trump but not happy with anybody" people over a single insulated affluent lib

eh I've found some of the liberals I can maybe radicalize or push left but a lot of the "voted for trump but hate politicians" turn out to be fans of bigotry