Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Games?
Games!
Games...
View Results

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im in. My excuse to play Full Throttle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, Full Throttle

First things first; pixel art is rough in this day and age but the "new graphics" is that ugly looks like painted thing and it just doesn't work for me. I dunno. Maybe it'll grow on me as I progress.

The second thing is the timing of the first achievement popping up is :chef's kiss:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Full Throttle

According to the save file Im 33% done so wow this is a short game. Its also so much a mess I kind of need to talk about two separate but colliding issues that have made this a bit clunkier than I‘d want. .

Issue 1: Its an old game, I get that. Its clearly near the end of the "dumb cursor" era, so you only have four verbs to work with but it still sucks. Contextual/smart cursors are a gol-darn revelation when you try playing a game this way. I know it cuts down on ambient writing but honestly, I don't care when Im fumbling through figuring out what Im supposed to do. A very petty example is early on you need to use the "mouth" verb to solve a puzzle because, yes, you use your mouth to do the action but that verb is for talking otherwise and also to get to that point youve clearly already solved the puzzle so its just weird "verb me daddy" to solve the puzzle.

Issue 2: The update sort of updates your controls. But only when you are in the modern graphics options. If you're in classic, you can't access the updated controls so if you want to play original graphics with update controls you're just flipping back and forth between the two constantly. They also added a critically needed feature for consoles to instantly move your cursor between hotspots exceeeeept movement hotspots don't count. It also gets "stuck" leading you to believe you've seen all a screen has to offer when you haven't. This meant I missed an item in one area because I didn't know it was interactable and got stuck on another screen because I didn't know I could go another way.

In modern mode you can push a button to show all the interactables on screen which is great because I was stuck on a puzzle trying to figure out where the hell I needed to go because a background object you can't otherwise do anything with is needed to interact with. This is lovely, except again, how to move between screens isn't highlighted so I still got stuck like a fool.

Issue 3: Tim Schafer loving loves throwing a secondary gameplay that sucks and is uneeded into his game. Thanks for the nonsense combat, my dude!

Issue 4: the update graphics are really ugly in some places and made by a confused person. The dirt ditch and then hill on the other side where the farmland starts you see on the side of highways across america is rendered as a wall of rocks on both sides of the highway in HD mode.

Voice Acting is perfection though and the plot is fun and stupid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Full Throttle

Ok, Tim, please. Please stop. Never again mix genres, just don't its not working for you. This game was PC Gaming's Game of the Month??? 86 aggregate score? I was alive and gaming in 1995 and this wouldn't have been ok!

Instead of getting more worked up about that I want to talk about the story, or, how its kind of a mess. Like don't get me wrong it works fine in broad strokes and such but the character of Maureen/Mo just whiplashes around it feels like there was a massive re-write between the first zone of the game and the rest of it. Its honestly been really jarring and Ive only got 30% of the game left so I dunno if it'll really address that ever.

Dialog is fantastic in the optional bits, which is a little annoying since they're easily missed, but overall this extremely basic story has enough charm in it to keep me going and finish this off.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This sold really well? What? The executive meddling makes a lot more sense to explain why there is a terrible attempt at roadrash thrown into it.

Im not trying to be rude but this is a huge mess of a game and not in the "they bit off more than they could chew lets see a sequel" kind of way. I totally get that the aesthetic is really different from the average anything and I really do dig that (and some of the music is fantastic) but I am clearly way out of line with the tastes of 1995 gamer.

This game is basically I think affirming I like the visual novel style of adventure game a lot more than this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doing this month's club I feel like poorly conveyed screen transitions are a solid 50% of old adventure games difficulty

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That you can go back to your crashed plane in Hugo 3 at the start and that its full of stuff stumped me for so so long. In hindsight very stupid but at the same time it cutscene makes you leave that area and impresses on you an urgent search the next screen over which triggers a point of no return so, you know, not totally stupid.

I got stuck in Myst trying to enter the rocketship world because I played most of the time with the sound off and couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I actually just brute forced the room with the green book, came back the next morning and turned on the sound to hear the dialog, and beat the game that way and got the true ending purely because I couldn't get the last red and blue pages.

Sam and Max constantly crushed me with the screen transition thing. I remember just abandoning all pretense really early on of playing for myself and just leaving a guide open.

In this play through of Full Throttle I got stuck at figuring out there was a screen transition to the crane control room and its unmarked by both the " snap to interactable areas" and "highlight things to interact" buttons. Nearly got stone walled immediately after because you can't go back to the dumpster in the first area the same way you did the first time. Later I gave up on playing blind due to the fertilizer truck puzzle because a) that doesnt make sense why what you need to do needs to be done b) what you do makes no physical logic

Edit: Laffo the final puzzle in Full Throttle is walk left to scroll the screen to reveal the thing you need to interact with, walking in any other direction kills you.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 28, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Full Throttle

Well I got all the achievements but not sure if thats as much an endorsement of the game so much as its brevity.

In all honesty I liked it, but its kind of coasting on its voice acting, [a e s t h e t i c], sound design, and relative ease. Its got such a jumbled mess of half-baked stuff like the entire "open world" section, having a dedicated kick verb, and the absolutely god awful demolition derby portion. It weirdly reminds me a bit of freddi fish (favorite adventure game from the era, lets fight) in so far as realizing simplicity helps a lot, but not as good.

Something I will say I love is the developer commentary included on it as that was a really fascinating and fun way to play as well. If you like the game Id really recommend it as its quite insightful and surprising how much they remembered. It made when I had to go back and complete some loose achievements quite fun.

Not sure which one on the list to play next.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That looks wonderful, definitely putting that on a list to play whenever I own a computer again.

I think Im going to fire up Grim Fandango and try and finish it this month as well since I got destroyed by the ticket booth transition screen as a kid. I will be playing open guide though, sorry not sorry.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

anyone in here gonna play the telltale sam and max remaster?

Im gonna think about it but the those games chapped my hides when I played them on.... gametap. Oh god don't let anyone know

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My concern is part of the goal is to keep us all, vaguely, in a similar headspace while we play together to discuss. So if we do a topic like "games that encourage hoarding" we should have a list of the sort of titles that we're thinking about otherwise its easy to become a reminisce thread rather than fresh eyes or people not discussing the same titles so its kind of noise posting into the void.

Another option is to make a topic and ask people to discuss what they are playing through that lens. So it could be "play any game this month, but you have to discuss it within the framework/focusing on its relationships" or whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I... still think talking about a single game at a time is more fun and interesting but it’s hard to drum up enough participants i guess

Its my preference as well. It is a problem getting everyone to have the same title unless we do something like mandate a game pass subscription to participate, but if we have better more focused conversation it is probably worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If I could recommend; "Yes, Your Grace" just came out and is on game pass PC, Console, and Android. Its pegged as about 5.5 hours to do the main story , and promises emergent narrative gameplay based on your actions. Its not an action game so no real limitations gameplay wise and could be a good source of discussion on both story as presented and mechanics.

If we want to go super lightning bonus round its similar to other games like "Reign" if you want more content and we can also ask that people discuss it within the context of how media portrays hereditary nobility and the inherit class struggle.