Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Games?
Games!
Games...
View Results

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Should we hide spoilers behind spoiler tags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I beat the game! It took about two hours. I got some general thoughts I can spit out, but I can safely say for now that the content warning the author gives is spot-on: the game explores some serious LGBT issues. But it’s also extremely goofy.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wanted to write down some quick thoughts before it’s too late and I forget everything about the game. It’s still early so it’ll be spoiler-free.

This game is essentially a visual novel with some action gameplay interspersed throughout. I didn’t get the impression that there are branching paths; seems like it’s more of a “decide which of these two scenes to watch” kind of deal. Although there is one decision point in the latter part of the game that gets underlined by the narrator, because, apparently, one leads to a scene that is much more of a bummer than the other. I picked the lighter one, I think. I’d love to hear about the bummer path.

The game, outside of the character portraits, is stupendously ugly, but I can’t say how deliberately. The combat arenas in particular look sloppy, with already-messy assets being stretched out and haphazardly copy-pasted. The backgrounds during the dialogue scenes are made up of ASCII art, which I didn’t quite get, kinda felt like it didn’t fit with the rest of the game, aesthetically or thematically.

The dialogue is the probably the game’s main selling point, and it makes no attempt to hide that it was written by some Very Online people. You’ll see that from the very first scene, where one of the characters’ dialogue is absolutely aping hip, ironic Twitter posts, punctuation included. And this recurs throughout. I’d like to hear what people thought this point in particular. I remember folks criticizing Night in the Woods for having unreal-sounding dialogue, and this is an even more extreme example of that.

The best of the writing, I think, is found in the short second-person text dumps you see before each of the combat sequences, when your selected character is suiting up. They highlight the mech-as-personal-identity metaphor: this is YOU, you are IN CONTROL, this is WHO YOU ARE, this is how YOU want the world to see you, that kind of stuff. These segments also do a great job in getting you pumped up to beat up some fascists.

Didn’t mean to turn this post into a review but gently caress it. I have more to say, about the combat, about the whole “beating up the fash” thing, about the strange setting. Should probably wait for more people to play it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think it’s supposed to be like smashing your fingers on a keyboard in exasperation.

Yeah I didn’t want to mention this before but I didn’t have very much fun with the game. The combat was really tedious pretty much all the time. The AI is reduced to “run straight towards player”, facing off more than two enemies means you’re going to be pushed around for a long while before you can knock someone off a cliff, and the longer a fight goes on, the more damaged your mech gets, which means your controls become sluggish, like your guy or girl is fighting on ice.

But! I lost one battle early on, and discovered that dying gives you the option to skip the entire rest of the combat sequence. So that’s a useful tip to keep in mind for anyone reading this and wants to play the game but hasn’t yet.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looks like there are still 1,740 other games in the bundle... RNG it??

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I have played about half an hour, it is pretty neat. Zelda clone with some bits of procedural generation, and a goofy sense of humour

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Another hour in, getting flashbacks to Dead Cells, or specifically my “god this would rule if it wasn’t procgen” feeling

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Some dungeon rooms are empty except for a small body of water, and an enemy on the other side. The enemy immediately falls into the water, dying instantly. The room’s enemies now defeated, a dungeon key falls from the sky, you did it congrats!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cool, bookmarked

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love veegees (video games)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve been playing (and am about to give up on) Moon: Remix RPG Adventure, a 1997 Japanese adventure game that only got an official English release this year. It’s ~weird~ and ~zany~, with mismatched art styles (Monty Python-looking claymation characters standing next to Golden Sun-looking ones, for example) and lots of non sequiturs. And it’s hard to explain.

You play as a kid who gets sucked into a video game RPG, wherein you can only stay awake for a certain amount of time before getting a game over. Your goal is to repair the RPG “hero”’s genocidal thirst for experience points by finding the creatures he’s slain, reading a short paragraph about them, and then using that paragraph to figure out where their “soul” might be hiding. You gain “Love” for reuniting the souls with their bodies, which you use to level up and increase the amount of time you can explore before having to return to a bed. It’s got Undertale DNA for sure (the Wikipedia says that it was a Toby Fox who convinced the devs to finally release it in the West)

It’s good, it’s interesting, it’s often inscrutable. Here’s an example of a puzzle:

In the pawnbroker’s shop, we find this animal’s corpse.

To get his spirit to appear, we... wait until evening, when the pawnbroker apparently drops down into his room for a quick smoke?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I... still think talking about a single game at a time is more fun and interesting but it’s hard to drum up enough participants i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played about an hour of Reigns, if it has something to say about monarchy is don’t know what it is. You play as a lineage of kings, each given a series of yes/no questions that affect your four meters (clergy, peasantry, military, and personal wealth) in some manner. You can preview which meter(s) will get affected but not in which direction, though it’s usually pretty easy to intuit. Your “run” (one individual king’s reign) ends when any of the meters bottom out or get filled up, which can potentially lead to the strange situation where building a hospital fills up your peasantry meter and causes you to lose, because... ?

The game’s tone is wacky and goofy and, again, I’m not sure if it has a thesis