Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Games?
Games!
Games...
View Results

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Hey so, coincidentally, I just finished playing an adventure game about a week ago: Bad Mojo! It's a bizarre FMV game about a scumbag scientist who's in the midst of embezzling a whole bunch of money when he gets turned into a roach through the power of a magical amulet. He then needs to adventure through multiple rooms of a bar/apartment to make his way back to the amulet to become human again.

I don't think this game is a popular one, and probably the reason why is that it's incredibly disgusting. The building you're in is not maintained like, at all, and there's tons infestations, food spilled all over the place, paint, grease, and grime just all over the place. I think it's partially to make the game more visually interesting, but it's also used to block off where you can go by leaving large seas of grease and paint that you can't travel.

What most impresses me about the game though, is the sense of environment. It's a game where you're playing a roach across 2D screens from a top down view, but it conveys the idea of a 3D environment impressively well. As a cockroach you aren't really confined to the floor, and frequently you'll climb up a table leg to the underside of a table, to the top of the table, and up the wall. you'll frequently get camera angles that show the rest of the room from a high vantage point, and you can very frequently make your way across the entire room to get there. I'm sure part of this is that being an FMV game, they didn't have to meticulously construct an environment out of nothing; they set up one filthy room, and then take a bunch of pictures that serve as the individual screens. The game's plot also revolves around the environment; as a roach you don't really have an inventory, but you'll crawl over a whole bunch of newspapers, faxes, and personal effects that reveal the general backstory of you and your landlord.

Probably where the game fails most is in puzzles, though it's pretty decent for the most part. Again, you're a roach, so the most you can actually do is push objects around. One early game puzzle, for example, has you push a cigarette butt into a spider web to burn the spider living there so you can pass. A lot of the time these are pretty simple or easy enough to figure out, and you also frequently get hints through a dead lady who possesses random animals to give you prophetic clues. There were just a few spots here and there where I had an idea of what I needed to do, but the hotspot for actually being able to do it was small enough that I completely missed it and wandered around clueless for a bit. There's also one puzzle right near the end of the game that's complete bullshit; you have a place where you need to input a number, and another spot where you can find that number, but they're not related at all. It's like if you needed to find and input a computer password, but get the password from a random newspaper article.

All in all though, I had a lot of fun with this one. It's bizarre and unique, and frankly I love FMV games. There's just something about the acting in them that's so memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU