Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Games?
Games!
Games...
View Results

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve been playing (and am about to give up on) Moon: Remix RPG Adventure, a 1997 Japanese adventure game that only got an official English release this year. It’s ~weird~ and ~zany~, with mismatched art styles (Monty Python-looking claymation characters standing next to Golden Sun-looking ones, for example) and lots of non sequiturs. And it’s hard to explain.

You play as a kid who gets sucked into a video game RPG, wherein you can only stay awake for a certain amount of time before getting a game over. Your goal is to repair the RPG “hero”’s genocidal thirst for experience points by finding the creatures he’s slain, reading a short paragraph about them, and then using that paragraph to figure out where their “soul” might be hiding. You gain “Love” for reuniting the souls with their bodies, which you use to level up and increase the amount of time you can explore before having to return to a bed. It’s got Undertale DNA for sure (the Wikipedia says that it was a Toby Fox who convinced the devs to finally release it in the West)

It’s good, it’s interesting, it’s often inscrutable. Here’s an example of a puzzle:

In the pawnbroker’s shop, we find this animal’s corpse.

To get his spirit to appear, we... wait until evening, when the pawnbroker apparently drops down into his room for a quick smoke?

Yeah it rules

I only needed a guide for a couple of spots, I didn't realize the shopkeeper sold stuff in his room at night, for example. but i think the game is best when you just wander around and discover stuff. it was really cool when i was in the scientist's lab and i tapped by a vacuum hose mouth and suddenly i found an entirely new area of the game

e: you'll definitely want a guide for the rocket parts, make no mistake about that

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU