Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Games?
Games!
Games...
View Results

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Hello and welcome to the SomethingAwful Games Forum Games Club - Like a Book Club But For Video Games.

11/24 UPDATE: I'm changing up the thread as follows:

Greetings friends and posters! You may have noticed I've done a poor job stewarding this thread so far, so I'm going to change it up some. I think that my original plan was not really realistic with how people game and post around here, so here is my new idea: Rather than a game every two weeks, I'm going to pick (or we can vote or w/e) a theme or genre for a month or so and everyone can post about that. Play or replay games if you want or just talk about stuff you've already played. I think going bigger for longer will give a lot more breathing room for conversation, and it will be less to manage and less stress to finish things in a small amount of time.

For this first month (11/24 to the endish of December) I'm going to go ahead and pick adventure games. Further, I'll nudge it toward the Lucasarts style and their progeny, though if you want to talk about the lesser Sierra games I won't try and stop you.

A brief thought to get things rolling: I've been thinking about Loom a lot recently, and I really need to replay it soon because so much of the imagery has stuck in my head since I played it as a kid. It's a shame we never got any of the sequels to it, I would have loved to see more of this world. I didn't realize it until well into adulthood but I was an extremely anxious kid who loved video games, so sometimes stuff like Doom was just too much. I appreciated adventure games like these because they sometimes gave the illusion of hostility or dangers but I knew that nothing bad could happen to me so even at my most dire I still could play these.

Also here is some real cool unused poo poo from Monkey Island that just came out: https://gamehistory.org/monkeyisland/

Be respectful and don't assume the worst of your fellow posters, you know the rules.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Reserved for a list of some kind i guess

May 8, 2006

I'm leaning yes, but am open to suggestion there - I don't mind spoiler tags myself

May 8, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Like I think spoilers might kill the flow of discussion, but I don't know a solution around the issue. Not without clear "chapters" we can agree on beforehand.

yeah same, i'm leaning toward just use them for now and if folks think it's ruining the discussion just say so and we can adjust

May 8, 2006

It was way more online than I expected even, but I wouldn't criticize it as being 'unreal sounding,' I think that if you can believe meat mechs fighting in the desert by knocking each other off of cliffs, people talking like they do online isn't that hard either. Whether it works is more up to taste, but I found it to sort of have an embarrassing charm.

I'll have to stew on the game a bit more to give any real in-depth take, but I came away fairly positive. It's going for a definite tonal whiplash and I'm not sure if it succeeds or if I am just inclined to give something like this more leeway. The combat towards the end becomes kind of obnoxious, probably could have saved after each encounter. If they were trying to do the communicate-misery-through-gameplay thing then it didn't work for me.

The soundtrack was pretty alright.

I could do with more biological machinery cum body horror though, this and a book called 'The Stars are Legion'

May 8, 2006

you can say you didn't have fun you goobs

I skipped at least one of the combat because I made it several fights in then got ping ponged across the arena and died instantly

May 8, 2006

So to follow up some more: I'm increasingly down on how the game worked tonally. I don't think the idea of 'these characters getting to know each other/themselves in a bleak world' is inherently a poor idea, just for a game that takes place over a few days I didn't find the arcs between characters that believable, specifically the ones that just met.

Related: HELP CHOOSE THE NEXT GAME

I don't know if y'all would prefer a vote or some kind ranked list or just choosing randomly from a pool of suggestions

May 8, 2006

I meant to come back and address JR's question about the 'bummer' dialogue path the game warns you about :

(cw suicide ideation) I didn't take notes so if I get details wrong I apologize, but the conversation is essentially that Cass is simply throwing themselves out there because they feels they has nothing to live for/no reason to keep on going. In a ludonarrative sense this worked out for me because I picked them most for the combat sections because the ability to stop your momentum saved me from a lot of cheap shots.

Regarding the ending i feel it makes it even more bleak, and I'm curious if the eventual season 2 is going to try and cover something like 'you don't need to succeed to have a life with keeping' or something.

May 8, 2006

I didn't post it due to current events but the next game is Lenna's Inception

May 8, 2006

i don't have anything super clever to add but it's a cool game - i'm probably gonna continue to dig into it after the book club period since i started late.

speaking of which, unless someone wants to suggest something else I'm just gonna go with what SR suggested for the next game tomorrow, which is pikuniku

May 8, 2006

ok so the game for the next two weeks is Pikuniku so go nuts about it

I'll update the second post with links to the start of each games discussion

May 8, 2006

Greetings friends and posters! You may have noticed I've done a poor job stewarding this thread so far, so I'm going to change it up some. I think that my original plan was not really realistic with how people game and post around here, so here is my new idea: Rather than a game every two weeks, I'm going to pick (or we can vote or w/e) a theme or genre for a month or so and everyone can post about that. Play or replay games if you want or just talk about stuff you've already played. I think going bigger for longer will give a lot more breathing room for conversation, and it will be less to manage and less stress to finish things in a small amount of time.

For this first month (11/24 to the endish of December) I'm going to go ahead and pick adventure games. Further, I'll nudge it toward the Lucasarts style and their progeny, though if you want to talk about the lesser Sierra games I won't try and stop you.

A brief thought to get things rolling: I've been thinking about Loom a lot recently, and I really need to replay it soon because so much of the imagery has stuck in my head since I played it as a kid. It's a shame we never got any of the sequels to it, I would have loved to see more of this world. I didn't realize it until well into adulthood but I was an extremely anxious kid who loved video games, so sometimes stuff like Doom was just too much. I appreciated adventure games like these because they sometimes gave the illusion of hostility or dangers but I knew that nothing bad could happen to me so even at my most dire I still could play these.

Also here is some real cool unused poo poo from Monkey Island that just came out: https://gamehistory.org/monkeyisland/

May 8, 2006

FMV is so cool and I wish it was a bit less niche.

FMV and disgusting are both on my list of possible topic ideas!

May 8, 2006

I didn't love oxenfree. It's not a bad game, and not too long so it's not a big list to try it. It kept coming close to something I'd really love but I guess it didn't sell any part enough for me.

May 8, 2006

Barudak posted:

Im in. My excuse to play Full Throttle

I was going to finally play Primordia but maybe I'll play this instead....

May 8, 2006

I played through the first act of Primordia and I like the setting and story so far, but the adventure game part seems just kind of...there. I suppose it does tie in decently well to the characters being trash-pickers but I felt like I ended up with a lot of vaguely similar electronic parts in my inventory. I haven't gotten suck outside of one time I didn't realize there was a screen transition in certain place, though.

May 8, 2006

I can't disagree, so topical question: What adventure game puzzle got you stuck for the longest? I think as a kid I was stuck on the whole loogie contest thing in Monkey Island 2 for months

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 28, 2020

May 8, 2006

I finished Primordia and overall liked it, but I think I would have liked it more as a more straight narrative game. The puzzles in general were not bad - though they too often required a bit of pixel hunting in the environment - but a lot of them didn't really add to the game. I think in my favorite adventure games, which are largely comedy games, the puzzles are additive to the overall tone. Here they seemed to often be because that's what the genre does, though some were pretty clever.

Also Primordia has fast travel which is good, but every adventure game should insta-transition to the next screen when you double click while your character is walking over there.

May 8, 2006

the Horatio/Crispin relationship is my favorite part of the game.

Also, if you make an adventure game and every character's text isn't a different color you have hosed up, sorry, I don't make the rules

May 8, 2006

anyone in here gonna play the telltale sam and max remaster?

May 8, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I also played the first season on Gametap.

I vaguely remember going to the White House, I'm sure the trenchant political humor holds up all these years later

season one gametap crew checking in

May 8, 2006

So I'm working on a Loom playthrough that I'll post about soonish, since I haven't revisited that game in like a decade and it's a childhood favorite so I'm curious to see what I think now.

In the meantime, in about a week it'll have been a month so like I said I'll rotate topics. I'm open to any ideas but I had two main paths I was thinking of:

1) Do like this topic, pick a wide genre. My concern is that a lot of these already have an existing megathread and while I don't think that means they can't be a topic for this thread it could be a bit reduntant.

2) Topics that are a little more loose. Some of the stuff I have written down as ideas are: games that encourage hoarding in you, games that use FMV, games or you specifically play because they're easy.

Let me know what y'all think, and of course if you come in after the rotate and still have to say about adventure games it's a thread so go for it who cares.

May 8, 2006

I don't know why I always forget how good Loom is. Like, I know it's good, but playing it always reminds me just how god drat good it is. Legitimate all time classic. Almost every screen is a delight, packed with fairy tale-esque fantasy imagery and over its hour-and-change playtime it's better a better realized fantasy setting than most other games can do with dozens. While not a comedy game ala Monkey Island it's still got some great lines in it, too. It was one of the first video games I ever played and revisiting reminds me of just how much it's influenced my taste in everything since. It's just so loving good and it's a shame that nothing else was really made with it.

I could ramble on about this game but I'll just say this: Playing it as an adult the fate of the Glassmakers is much more affecting.

If you haven't played it, the steam sale is coming up but IIRC the steam version is the talkie which had some cuts due to technical limitations. I had the non-talkie version as a kid so that's what I consider the 'real' version and what I would recommend.

May 8, 2006

i played so much Zak McKracken as a kid, never beat it, no idea if I even got close

Barudak posted:

Its my preference as well. It is a problem getting everyone to have the same title unless we do something like mandate a game pass subscription to participate, but if we have better more focused conversation it is probably worth it.

I do like the focus-on-one-game but it seems kind if impossible to get enough people all one one page in a smallish amount of time. I do take your point, and that of your last post, we can probably focus down.

I dunno what do y'all want to talk about nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

I didn't forget about this, just kinda occupied. Your suggestion is interesting Barudak and if no one else has an objection for whatever reason I'm happy to go with it for the next month