Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this one though

this is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

since when is this

more beautiful than this

lol

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zlodo posted:

edit im the flush gamepad buttons that will provide almost no tactile feeling

the dualshock 4 is the only controller I ever owned that broke, because internally it has a lovely film printed circuit board

they kept the useless touchpad too

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
the thumb sticks didnt last long thanks to the nhl games

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

since when is this

more beautiful than this

I said they were both ugly [for completely different reasons]

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 12, 2020

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

quote:

The console's reveal did not include a price point or release date.

Oh so this is almost as useful as PopSci’s “Best of what’s new”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

microsoft and sony are playing a game of chicken to see who has to announce the price first [they will probably cost within $50 of each other]

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

microsoft and sony are playing a game of chicken to see who has to announce the price first [they will probably cost within $50 of each other]

will people balk at $599 us dollars as much now as they did in 2006?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
consoles always horrendously expensive when they come out considering it’s a glorified grand theft auto machine

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
here is hoping the new oddworld comes to pc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gta5 at release

three generations of console out of one game. rockstar know how to milk a cow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
interesting concept that devs can generate all models at full resolution mesh wise and texture wise, and the system will just reduce as necessary.

honestly tho any ability to do proper lighting will be a million times better at making it feel like real life

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
As much as I don't like console gaming anymore I appreciate that each generation is basically a giant leap forward in the standard of fidelity. In two or so years the level of detail in games is going to be out of control.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm intensely skeptical of the SSD hype. Stuff just doesn't work like that on the PC side, no matter how fast your NVME drive is you're still going to see some progress bars

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

on ps4 they have to optimize games on the platter drive to reduce load times to the extent that you need free space equivalent to a full game install to install a minor patch. this is obnoxious when the ps4 came with a 500gb hdd and games are in the scores of gigabytes size now. glad at least that small annoyance will be gone

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

looks funny

i will lol at it once then put it on my shelf and almost never see it again

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
netflix machines looking ultra modern

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
Sure cant wait to be fed DLC buying options in uninspired AAA games at 5GB/s directly to my eyes

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

:thunk:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm intensely skeptical of the SSD hype. Stuff just doesn't work like that on the PC side, no matter how fast your NVME drive is you're still going to see some progress bars

isn’t the entire thing that the ssd doesn’t operate like a pc at all?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

because the ssd

didn’t you read the OP

i read it.

now do I care about the things posted is another matter.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

yeah but it's pure marketing hype

consoles are just locked down PCs tied to a specific online game store

they have to make it sound incredible and magical to justify buying into their expensive walled garden

I mean I haven't owned a console in forever but when we are required by console manufacturers to cripple online mode in our game and display upsell screens to tell people to subscribe to PS+ or whatever to unlock it I have no idea how people put up with this poo poo (especially since that sub is not even paying for the game servers upkeep since we are the ones running them, not sony or microsoft)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

prolapse station 5

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

has GameStop’s already plummeting stock cratered yet since a large number of consoles going forward won’t have physical drives?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think you’ll find number can only go up

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

much uglier than the ps4 both the console and the controllers

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Hed posted:

Oh so this is almost as useful as PopSci’s “Best of what’s new”

its gonna cost around 500 bucks and come out in early november more or less

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

it's a pcie nvme ssd, but with the power of pre-release hype, it blows away anything possible on modern pcs

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71340/understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-deep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech/index.html

lol at the next gen memory diagram that has the 16gb RAM bar about 5x longer than the 8gb of RAM bar

edit: what does this even mean

quote:

Cerny also confirms the PlayStation 5's SSD improves how patches are installed on the storage. The system no longer needs to create a new file every time a patch is installed. This was previously necessary because the patch would add new seeks, and thus compound the data usage even further.

But as we said above, there's no seeks on the SSD

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 12, 2020

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
it's pretty fly for a wi-fi (router)

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

they should have released it yesterday with a captive plague audience.

its so goddamn ugly. my ps4 slim at least doesn't blatantly look like gamer bullshit in my media console at a quick glance. if im going to be a man child I want to hide it as much as I can.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zlodo posted:

aww yeah cheap curved plastic cases the 90s are back

edit im the flush gamepad buttons that will provide almost no tactile feeling

brain geniuses who use playstation controllers with the sticks in the wrong place (because they hot-glued them onto PSX controllers) don't care about ergonomics

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol at the next gen memory diagram that has the 16gb RAM bar about 5x longer than the 8gb of RAM bar

edit: what does this even mean

something about delta patching images and no longer having to optimize storage around disk geometry? it's gibberish, but either because of the way the interview was edited for the article or because the sony rep is a terrible communicator.

most of the time is spent repeating that an ssd is better than a hard drive for loading, which, uh, yeah. then there's some very fancy ways of saying they have DMA. and then trying to justify having relatively little storage compared to the size of the games because they have a custom "12 channel" nand controller from samsung (because they didn't want to spend any more on storage).

echinopsis posted:

the hype engine works quite well, as you can see

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

check it, anand does some analysis of the hype around this generation of consoles and their storage claims

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 12, 2020

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

this doesn't make sense. you'd never fit two of those on a barge like that

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

has GameStop’s already plummeting stock cratered yet since a large number of consoles going forward won’t have physical drives?

i bet they manufacture way more of the diskless versions just to say "gently caress you" to gamestop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

woof. I bet the mid-gen refresh looks a lot more like a bland, featureless box. Can you call something retrofuturism if it only looks 15-20 years out of date?