Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

i bet they manufacture way more of the diskless versions just to say "gently caress you" to gamestop

if anything i'd wager that they would subsidize the cost of the discless versions to make them extra attractive to consumers because they stand to make a lot of money by cutting out disc manufacturing, retail channels and the used market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

akadajet posted:

i bet they manufacture way more of the diskless versions just to say "gently caress you" to gamestop

the disc system helps dads and adults-with-too-much-self-respect-to-admit-they-like-games justify the purchase

when i bought the ps4 pro i told myself it was to play games sometimes but also to have a bluray player. the local library has a pretty good bluray selection so i would borrow one every once in a while and enjoy free hd movies

i borrowed a couple of them and realized wow i really dont like the effort/reward ratio of this and never did it again so now its just a rocket league machine

poty fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 12, 2020

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

im in this pic

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
more like dickless system.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

if anything i'd wager that they would subsidize the cost of the discless versions to make them extra attractive to consumers because they stand to make a lot of money by cutting out disc manufacturing, retail channels and the used market

yeah, each game is $60 forever

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

video games are only 60 dollars if you buy them right when they come out which is dumb because they're usually like 2 patches away from working properly

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

video games are only 60 dollars if you buy them right when they come out which is dumb because they're usually like 2 patches away from working properly

thought game system online stores kept the prices pretty high most of the time

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

thought game system online stores kept the prices pretty high most of the time

even aaa games like call of duty, etc. go on sale constantly since all the big titles have in-game revenue streams anyway

I think I read fifa does like a billion a year in dlc

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

qirex posted:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it takes me forever to complete a video game so I don't buy new ones that often.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

im hype as hell about hitman 3 tho

hitman 3 is the 8th or 9th hitman game at this point

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The_Franz posted:

hitman 3 is the 8th or 9th hitman game at this point

:staredog: holy poo poo!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

now do windows 10

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

echinopsis posted:

interesting concept that devs can generate all models at full resolution mesh wise and texture wise, and the system will just reduce as necessary.

that poo poo is pretty much on the same level of "hey, let's use blockchain for this piece of tech" where going "ok, how?" just causes execs to start waving their arms furiously

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Falcorum posted:

that poo poo is pretty much on the same level of "hey, let's use blockchain for this piece of tech" where going "ok, how?" just causes execs to start waving their arms furiously

the ue5 demo recently released shows this off on pc. mesh wise anyway idk about textures

there’s few games i would buy new but history simulator assassins creed valhalla is coming out new year’s day i belive and i will pay i’ll price to get into that world

assassins creed greece is loving gorgeous game but the lighting is really starting to date and something like ray tracing or path tracing global illumation is what will make games literally more realistic than real life. you’ll stop playing the game and then get offended at the lighting in your kitchen

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
after i played the ff7 remake (amazing btw) i started playing original ff7 on my switch. psx graphics from 1997. guess what? it's still fun

the screens are all pre-rendered and it looks like poo poo but you don't notice after 20 minutes. gently caress your ray tracing and shaders and crazy texture resolutions, who cares, all that matters is whether game is fun. the original super mario bros is still fun. literally nobody has ever picked up that game and said "wow the lighting is really starting to date"

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i guess this is an uncanny valley sort of thing. nobody thinks super mario bros is supposed to imitate real life, so we just accept it for what it is, a fun game. but i'll still maintain my point: if you pull up a game you used to like and all you can think about is how dated the graphics are, then maybe that game was never really much fun in the first place, it was just a graphical tech demo that impressed you at the time. if it was still fun, you wouldn't care

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tbf that's because SMB wasn't aspiring to realism. if your historical knifing simulator pretends to realism, it's going to look dated as the state of the art moves on. if the historically accurate knifing is sufficiently fun, it won't affect replayability, but you can still comment on the perceived lack of realism of the blood spatter.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/zhugeex/status/1271203428912562176?s=21

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

literally nobody has ever picked up that game and said "wow the lighting is really starting to date"

the lighting on SMB sucks

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i guess this is an uncanny valley sort of thing. nobody thinks super mario bros is supposed to imitate real life, so we just accept it for what it is, a fun game. but i'll still maintain my point: if you pull up a game you used to like and all you can think about is how dated the graphics are, then maybe that game was never really much fun in the first place, it was just a graphical tech demo that impressed you at the time. if it was still fun, you wouldn't care

i’m not commenting on the gameplay, i love the game, but the game is also known for huge gorgeous landscapes, it’s possible a game can be enjoyed on a number of levels. i can’t believe that infernal machines actually nailed it with his post.

the thing is that when you’re up on the top of a mountain in that game, and you can see a huge amount of greece

what you are enjoying is on some level a demonstration of the devs huge amount of work and effort in the game. i’m kinda into computer graphics :rodtronics: so i have the thoughts “wow, imagine all the work and effort the devs put into the world, but rendered with a path tracing tenderer, wouldn’t that be absolutely incredible”.

infernal machines posted:

if the historically accurate knifing is sufficiently fun, it won't affect replayability, but you can still comment on the perceived lack of realism of the blood spatter.

now I personally have noticed that I struggle to go back to old games. crash bandicoot ran on the ps1 and that is still fine, but gran turismo 1? wow i can barely play it.

some older movies are still great but some have dated terribly. it’s not inherently a judgement on how much i enjoyed the movie when it was new and i saw it. i thought superbad was the funniest thing i had ever seen, and at the time it was. now, i can’t enjoy it anywhere near as much, but that’s not to say that it was just a comedy tech demo, it’s just that times change and some good things and even some great things just don’t seem as good any more.

it’s also a presumption that “dated”, is inherently negative. i wasn’t using it positively for sure, but it is just a comment about how it appears next to contemporary work, it doesn’t have to mean bad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fuckin look at that effort you loser!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

you can see a huge amount of greece

turn on your monitor

echinopsis posted:

now I personally have noticed that I struggle to go back to old games. crash bandicoot ran on the ps1 and that is still fine, but gran turismo 1? wow i can barely play it.

the big thing that i notice when going back to old 3D games, either on the original hardware or emulated accurately, is how dogshit slow they were. like 10-20fps usually, even in racing games and platformers. i remember being a little kid and arguing about video games and generally agreeing "well you never need more than 24 frames per second because that's when movement looks smooth, like a movie" and i was ecstatic to get 30 in unreal tournament(at 800x600, medium settings). just lmao at that today.

abigserve posted:

In two or so years the level of detail in games is going to be out of control.

- someone in 1976, 1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996,

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

turn on your monitor

the big thing that i notice when going back to old 3D games, either on the original hardware or emulated accurately, is how dogshit slow they were. like 10-20fps usually, even in racing games and platformers. i remember being a little kid and arguing about video games and generally agreeing "well you never need more than 24 frames per second because that's when movement looks smooth, like a movie" and i was ecstatic to get 30 in unreal tournament(at 800x600, medium settings). just lmao at that today.

- someone in 1976, 1978, 1980, 1982, 1984, 1986, 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996,

high level of detail was in control in 2019

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

https://twitter.com/Pet_rana/status/1271197800869629960

abigserve posted:

As much as I don't like console gaming anymore I appreciate that each generation is basically a giant leap forward in the standard of fidelity. In two or so years the level of detail in games is going to be out of control.

eh, i think Control has a lid on it right now

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

power botton posted:

they should have released it yesterday with a captive plague audience.

If you're a sony shareholder then I've got some good news about what life will be like in December.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

micheal jackson walks up to the ps5, pops his collar, does a spin, then moonwalks away

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
cant wait to see animal crossing on this thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m hanging out for sonic mario brother

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i just beat the last of us remaster on the sony gamestation 4 pro (cause i'm a pro obvs)

now im hype for the last of us 2

its not on the game station 5 but maybe it will be???/

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

my oculus quest arrived, vr games are kind of neat. makes me feel a bit weird after 15 minutes or so of use but no major nausea from playing superhot vr. grabbing and throwing objects in vr is oddly satisfying

EDIT: whoops I thought this was the james thread. two video games in yospos, what a time

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

If you're a sony shareholder then I've got some good news about what life will be like in December.

well when I have to go back to the office, which will be at the latest in January, I won't be able to play video games for 6 hours/day so its less exciting for me.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if I can play the digital PS4 games I care about on ps5 I'll get one. if not, then probably not

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Salt Fish posted:

might want to keep a close eye on whether unemployment benefits are still flowing by then

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

linus dick tips had to make a public apology for making statements about the ssd without knowing anything and timothy mcsweeny was like linus you don’t know poo poo stay in your corner the ssd is so much faster than is even possible on pc architecture that if it was a man and it impregnated a women the kids would come out as grandkids

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
did anyone say popped collar yet

i still remember when youd get called a graphics whore for playing ff7

George fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 16, 2020

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

George posted:

did anyone say popped collar yet

i still remember when youd get called a graphics white for playing ff7

what

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
graphics whore im assuming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007