Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

ilyatha posted:

I've been using https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/451677-Sacred-Vanguards-%28aka-Revisiting-S-amp-B-Paladins-for-New-Players%29 as my 1st-life/1st-real-character-ever and has been fine (the first build, full pally human). Now it's a bit out of date, so the enhancements aren't 100% accurate anymore. But it's about 85% right, and has served me well so far (as of level 13 through 1/3 of Ravenloft) as a solo F2P player.

Yeah, that looks alright. On my paladin I went more Sac Defender for res spells and more CHA, but I was also duoing with a barbarian and was the primary source of healing.

Edit: Also Divine Grace. All these paladin builds that don’t mention it.

Edit2: Thoughts on some other advice in that thread though...
-If doing a single target 1H weapon (not B.Sword or D.Axe), grab Knight’s Training rather than Khopesh. Knight’s Training makes long swords and battle axes as good as khopesh, and buffs up blunt weapons as well. You’ll have more weapon options and better options for slash resistant monsters.
-Stunning Blow is much better to pick up now if you’re using a weapon that benefits from strikethrough. I wouldn’t worry about grabbing it until after THF, which is the point where most attacks will hit 2 targets.

Willias fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Oh wow people still play this.

I'm on Orien tho, shame

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

Drythe posted:

Oh wow people still play this.

I'm on Orien tho, shame

Orien was the new default server so lots of new players there. I have my main on cannith but am playing more on Argo with hopes to resurrect the order of the ten bux. Not the end of the world if we can't buy playing with goons is always fun

ThePotatoMasher fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 17, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm still on Argo too. There's also still enough of a non-goon presence I was able to get raid tokens for my dagger upgrades.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
dont care if i play with pubbies or goons as long as theres people to play with. is argo atleast a populated server? because it recommends i roll on the one that starts with a t. but they could recommend that because its low pop and they want to fill it up or because thats the newbie server they recommend to everyone.

i tried to add all the feats you said when making my beserker but it only lets me add one. not sure what i am doing wrong i added 2h weapon focus though. also i had more skill points then i needed to get balance spot and intimidate so i just got lvl 2 of the first two and 3 or 4 into intimidate i hope thats fine. i made a dwarf. im not above rerolling my 20 minute investment. the game seems interesting gonna try it out more tommorow.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

snergle posted:

dont care if i play with pubbies or goons as long as theres people to play with. is argo atleast a populated server? because it recommends i roll on the one that starts with a t. but they could recommend that because its low pop and they want to fill it up or because thats the newbie server they recommend to everyone.

i tried to add all the feats you said when making my beserker but it only lets me add one. not sure what i am doing wrong i added 2h weapon focus though. also i had more skill points then i needed to get balance spot and intimidate so i just got lvl 2 of the first two and 3 or 4 into intimidate i hope thats fine. i made a dwarf. im not above rerolling my 20 minute investment. the game seems interesting gonna try it out more tommorow.

to answer my own questions i found you get feats on 1 and every multiple of 3. so 1 3 6 9 12 etc. and the thelian server they recommend is the biggest pop server. havent quite figured out the skills yet.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
They rotate the default servers. Currently it's Thelanis, at some point that will change. Whichever is default is the highest pop for a while.

I'm on Argo but not in the goon guild, but would gladly hop over if it gets more life. In the meantime there are several large active guilds, Bluelight and Barbarians are the two I see the most, but there's a bunch of others and they're generally all newbie friendly. Main thing is find one that is large, active, and has all the buffs (and keep the buffs up by periodically visiting the guild ship).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
For any of the Argo newbies I added stacks of Cure Serious Wounds potions, Cure Wands of each tier, and a stack of Heal scrolls to the "General Chest 2" on floor one of the guild airship.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 17, 2020

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

snergle posted:

Argo is one of the lower pop servers, but most servers are pretty similar in terms of population. I think the highest pop servers right now are Thelanis (it's default), Cannith (the one I'm on), and Khyber.

So long as you stay off Wayfinder, you're good.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Might poke this again if there's a goon renaissance. Last I played I ditched Argo and started fresh on cannith with a huge pub guild as that server was absolutely packed.

My only issue with DDO these days is heroic level grouping can be a bit scarce compared to epic level grouping. Soloing is great compared to the past albeit lonely.

Blacula
Dec 22, 2008

I'm re-downloading this (holy poo poo this part takes forever) and planning on playing on Argo again too.

Hope to group with some of you there!

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
Oh hey, I remember liking this game but not wanting to grind for/pay for the adventure packs. Which is strange since looking at my account I apparently bought a couple classes. Well, may as well give it another try and see if I still enjoy it.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Yakumo posted:

Oh hey, I remember liking this game but not wanting to grind for/pay for the adventure packs. Which is strange since looking at my account I apparently bought a couple classes. Well, may as well give it another try and see if I still enjoy it.

the cupon code still works i just did it yesterday so you can get those packs.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

Might poke this again if there's a goon renaissance. Last I played I ditched Argo and started fresh on cannith with a huge pub guild as that server was absolutely packed.

My only issue with DDO these days is heroic level grouping can be a bit scarce compared to epic level grouping. Soloing is great compared to the past albeit lonely.

This was why the hardcore server was fun-- there was a constant influx of low level players.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
thank you OP for the really good op, sadly it's basically impossible to play on my rig, really doesn't like big monitors it seems, the text of eveythign is tiny

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

Goa Tse-tung posted:

thank you OP for the really good op, sadly it's basically impossible to play on my rig, really doesn't like big monitors it seems, the text of eveythign is tiny

Yeah. UI scaling is definitely needed. You get used to it but it is a pain at first

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011
It's a bummer that elites are no longer the group difficulty of choice. I think my main is not up to reapers and the public grouping seems a bit sparse compared to 2012 which is no surprise really. I did convince a couple family members to play, but then came to the horrible realization that they are just pubbies I can't curse and complain about for being silly. All things considered the trip from 1-5 has been slow but fun on a brand new character with them. I've always enjoyed grouping more than soloing things anyway.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
People are very friendly in this game, so I wouldn’t ever worry about joining pug reaper groups. You can usually handle reaper once you get a reincarnation or two under your belt and some gear sets at the right levels.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

ericthebear posted:

It's a bummer that elites are no longer the group difficulty of choice. I think my main is not up to reapers and the public grouping seems a bit sparse compared to 2012 which is no surprise really. I did convince a couple family members to play, but then came to the horrible realization that they are just pubbies I can't curse and complain about for being silly. All things considered the trip from 1-5 has been slow but fun on a brand new character with them. I've always enjoyed grouping more than soloing things anyway.

If you want elite start a group as there are plenty of folks willing to join. Granted that is harder on your first it second life. Oddly for many of the older toons certain quests on Elite can be harder than reaper because of reaper enhancements

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

some mobs can really gently caress you up out of nowhere in this game, goddamn

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

frajaq posted:

Fresh air with the trog sorcerers is one of the tougher early quests

ericthebear
Mar 4, 2011

frajaq posted:

What kind and level of mobs? If it's casters then Resist Energy probably helps the most and spells like lightning bolt (kobolds on elite lvl 4s spam this like someone told them it causes penis growth) can be dodged with some luck/timing. Slimes really were a big pain early on for my melee because they seem to have higher hp than your average kobold, break your armor/weapons and they are immune to certain elements which makes for a super annoying trifeca.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

frajaq posted:

If we're talking about low level elites with kobolds that are like "hey, I heard you like lightning bolts" and then you go from full health to almost dead, get you some pots of Resist Electricity (can be bought in the center of the Marketplace for 36p each), or a wand of Resist Energy (540p, but you get 50 casts and you get to pick the resist type per cast), and some potions of Protection from Electricity (90p each from Feather's Fall Apothecary in House Jorasco Enclave).

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lol im still lvl 3 it was in this quest https://ddowiki.com/page/The_Sacred_Bounty

with this boi

there were also a ton of rust monsters that corroded my equipment and I'll have to find a way to repair later

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

snergle posted:

the cupon code still works i just did it yesterday so you can get those packs.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Might as well give it another shot while that code works and I can actually play most of the game. It's been pretty good so far.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

frajaq posted:

lol im still lvl 3 it was in this quest https://ddowiki.com/page/The_Sacred_Bounty

with this boi

there were also a ton of rust monsters that corroded my equipment and I'll have to find a way to repair later

Any bartender or vendor can help you repair. You can buy wooden weapons at the weapon vendor in harbor if you want or just keep a few extras

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

Willias posted:

If we're talking about low level elites with kobolds that are like "hey, I heard you like lightning bolts" and then you go from full health to almost dead, get you some pots of Resist Electricity (can be bought in the center of the Marketplace for 36p each), or a wand of Resist Energy (540p, but you get 50 casts and you get to pick the resist type per cast), and some potions of Protection from Electricity (90p each from Feather's Fall Apothecary in House Jorasco Enclave).

Also nightshield gives reflex which helps avoid those. It also blocks the purple magic missiles

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

muckbane is also your friend vs. rust monsters as it is made of glass.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Muckbane

i've got it reinstalled but now i sit here paralyzed with what I want to do and looking up first life builds but also trying to decide if i want to finish off one of my ancient characters with an outdated build to 20 and reincarnate them instead. hmmm...

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ThePotatoMasher posted:

Any bartender or vendor can help you repair. You can buy wooden weapons at the weapon vendor in harbor if you want or just keep a few extras

Interesting, I definetly should have explored the vendors a bit better (the crafting is a bit confusing too, seems the only recipe I can do so far with NPCs is to give some items in exchange for basic health potions)

I like going at content blind tho, but apperently it will just go better if I read what the monster encounters on missions are beforehand so I dont get hosed by stuff like rust monsters

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
You can always keep a ranged weapon or an "ooze beater" on hand for things that degrade your weapons. Usually blunt cause oozes multiply from getting cut and either non-metallic so they don't rust or just disposable so you don't care if it gets degraded. Probably more fun than always reading up on the next quest you're going into.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Or just throw random garbage you find on occasion at them until they die. Or just punch them real hard.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

RosaParksOfDip posted:

You can always keep a ranged weapon or an "ooze beater" on hand for things that degrade your weapons. Usually blunt cause oozes multiply from getting cut and either non-metallic so they don't rust or just disposable so you don't care if it gets degraded. Probably more fun than always reading up on the next quest you're going into.

Dirk's secret has a chance to spawn muck which can drop muckbane. I believe there are a few others but I can't recall where to get them. There is a new item mod that can fall and causes weapons to resist damage from rust monsters and oozes.v used to be a cannith crafting mod but not anymore

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

frajaq posted:

Interesting, I definetly should have explored the vendors a bit better (the crafting is a bit confusing too, seems the only recipe I can do so far with NPCs is to give some items in exchange for basic health potions)

I like going at content blind tho, but apperently it will just go better if I read what the monster encounters on missions are beforehand so I dont get hosed by stuff like rust monsters

There are multiple crafting systems. Don't give collectable to those vendors. It is used in cannith crafting.

There is a tutorial for cannith crafting in house j by the marketplace entrance ( purple icon)

By completing on each character you have in a server you get bound to account bonuses for crafting. Have one character on each server as a dedicated crafter.

There is also crafting related to the shrouds (Vale of twilight-green steel items), slavers quests(used to be in the hall of heroes but now in the Grove), thunder home (eveningstar -thunder forged items)

ThePotatoMasher fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 19, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I usually just switch to ranged and oozebane ammo when dealing with slime monsters.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

ThePotatoMasher posted:

Dirk's secret has a chance to spawn muck which can drop muckbane. I believe there are a few others but I can't recall where to get them. There is a new item mod that can fall and causes weapons to resist damage from rust monsters and oozes.v used to be a cannith crafting mod but not anymore

You better believe I have multiple copies of Muckbane and Muckdoom.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Mucks devastation is boss.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wish it was easier to buy stuff in this game as a Brazilian

I was playing the game on standalone client, I noticed that DDO is on Steam also, and theres some stuff that I could get through it

am I gonna have to get a new account thats tied to my steam account?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Nah you can use the same account of Steam, I switched over ages back and it still works fine. People keep saying the Steam client is worse but I don't think I've had any problems although I don't really play anymore these days.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

i am using the steam client this go around and it is the same as the standalone except i can use steambux instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

If you want to buy the steam add-ons for cheap and you're patient, cheappunk.com has keys at 50% off. The guy is a streamer who does a bunch of steam item sales and this is how he launders his steam bucks into dollars, so it's not as shady as it appears. It does take a while for him to email you the key. He has a 48 hour guarantee but you will wait every bit of that.