Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

frajaq posted:

wish it was easier to buy stuff in this game as a Brazilian

I was playing the game on standalone client, I noticed that DDO is on Steam also, and theres some stuff that I could get through it

am I gonna have to get a new account thats tied to my steam account?

Short answer, don't bother with any of that.

The gameplay content from those two expansions is on sale in-game for cheap right now and the only other thing you really need from those (https://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Destinies) is cheaper if you buy it separately from the in-game store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Both expansions are still for sale in game for 99 ddobux so tossing 5 bucks into the store ingame is definitely the way to go if you're looking for immediate purchase.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
is there a trick to spawning the rare encounters? or just luck?

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

snergle posted:

is there a trick to spawning the rare encounters? or just luck?

Luck unfortunately and persistence

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

super sweet best pal posted:

Short answer, don't bother with any of that.

The gameplay content from those two expansions is on sale in-game for cheap right now and the only other thing you really need from those (https://ddowiki.com/page/Epic_Destinies) is cheaper if you buy it separately from the in-game store.

ahh man I literally cant buy stuff on the DDO store I dont have international credit car lmao

I actually really liked how DDO setup their content but the F2P restrictions are too much if I just cant buy poo poo, which sucks cuz I was thinking of exploring DDO until Shadowlands comes out :negative: gonna go find something else

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

frajaq posted:

ahh man I literally cant buy stuff on the DDO store I dont have international credit car lmao

I actually really liked how DDO setup their content but the F2P restrictions are too much if I just cant buy poo poo, which sucks cuz I was thinking of exploring DDO until Shadowlands comes out :negative: gonna go find something else

As said before, basically you can log in to your existing account through the Steam client and use funds added to your Steam account to pay for things in the in-game store.

Tsurupettan posted:

i am using the steam client this go around and it is the same as the standalone except i can use steambux instead.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

frajaq posted:

Getting 200 ddo points should not take long. You can easily buy the adventure packs for shadowfell and underdark without spending any money

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ThePotatoMasher posted:

Getting 200 ddo points should not take long. You can easily buy the adventure packs for shadowfell and underdark without spending any money

that not an issue, I dont mind spending money in this game and I kinda want to, to get rid of some stupid restrictions (very hard gold cap/running out of inventory space)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

For what it's worth, it is unnecessary to buy things but it does help. DDO would be very pay to win if it were PvP.

It's probably worth skipping some grind here and there if you want to spend money on this. Menace of the Underdark and Shadowfell Conspiracy standard are 50 dollars if you buy them together (or less through that site I mentioned earlier) and come with a combined 2000 DDO points, the Purple Dragon Knight, the Druid, Epic Destinies, veteran status (which is pretty easy to get free), permanent XP boosts for heroic and epic leveling for one character, a character slot, and a +1 skill tome for each of your characters. There's an upgrade for the epic XP tome on sale right now for 345 points. If you want to really whale out you can get the anniversary pack on the store for about 4000 points which comes with a supreme ability tome that gives +8 to every attribute, a reincarnation heart, and some shared bank space.

None of that is remotely necessary at all but if you're the sort of person who doesn't blink at 60 dollar games it can be real nice to have.

PS my phone changed the expansion pack to Menace of the Undergrad.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Reinstalled, very glad when i quit i was leveling epics and not middle of a heroic TR

If people want an airship to use on Orien hit me up

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ThePotatoMasher posted:

Luck unfortunately and persistence

thanks, i got the ones i was working on. btw i really appreciate the first post info its helped me alot. especially the leveling path.

how do i send a tell or talk in say chat? im on thelassian and ive seen some guilds and i want to see if i can get their airship buffs.

snergle fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 23, 2020

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

frajaq posted:

So you can get at least 1250 points per life at 25 DDO points per 100 favor and the favor cap being over 5000 now, this is endlessly repeatable. You also get a big bonus in DDO points for the first time you hit certain favor thresholds on each server as seen here https://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_Point.

Just remember the bonus DDO points are only for the first time, but you CAN repeat the same first time threshold on other servers.

Good luck, the points and favor really aren't hard to get, just a little time consuming.

e: also DDOs store in my opinion/experience is probably the most well balanced cost/benefit ratio vs free/earned premium currency of any F2P game I've played.

Perpetual Notion fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 23, 2020

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
so uh i guess when you hit lvl 3 they dont want you to be in keep on the borderlands. i was redoing each quest on hard to work up to reaper elite then reaper but now everything is lvl 21 =O

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You selected the Epic option, which in D&D terms is quests that are 20+ in level. A lot of sub-20 quests have 20+ versions available to re-run for extra experience and loot in epic levels.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

DemonMage posted:

You selected the Epic option, which in D&D terms is quests that are 20+ in level. A lot of sub-20 quests have 20+ versions available to re-run for extra experience and loot in epic levels.

how did i do that / how do i make sure i dont repeat that in the future?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Just select the heroic tab:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
thanks. now to go back to unlocking up to elite. unsure if i should do reaper. im told R1 is kinda easy if you have past lives but im on my first play through.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Reaper reduces your damage and self healing (which is really noticeable if you have it) and increases damage, plus adds a bunch of nasty incoporeals. But as you run it you get special XP which can be used on enhancements that only work in Reaper, so once you flesh those out it can be easier, plus its more xp overall. Running it in a group is probably best

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Reaper reduces your damage and self healing (which is really noticeable if you have it) and increases damage, plus adds a bunch of nasty incoporeals. But as you run it you get special XP which can be used on enhancements that only work in Reaper, so once you flesh those out it can be easier, plus its more xp overall. Running it in a group is probably best

Yeah, there's always groups who already have a lot of reaper xp and they don't seem to mind newbies tagging along.

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Reaper (usually called R1-10 based on skull number) also gives a pretty hefty normal exp bonus over even elite on first time runs. Definitely do with a group unless you have a bunch of past lives or already have spent a good number of reaper points. The self only healing debuff starts at 65% and goes up 5% per skull rating. Mobs also get a hefty amount of physical and magical resistance ratings as well as more melee/ranged/spell power.

This is before you get into the actual reapers themselves (I only run low skull runs so I am nott familiar with the more advanced reapers) and the 4 main ones in my personal least to most dangerous rating and their abilities are as follows:
Fear: does a zonewide dot debuff after being aggroed that stacks, unless you are in melee range in which case they hit kinda hard but not awful (these are arguably the weakest ones unless you piss them off and cant get to them)
Famine: has a slow debuff that you cannot counter, also likes to cast spells ALOT
Carnage: hits like a truck and puts a vulnerability debuff (1% more damage taken per stack on you). Not especially dangerous if you are capable of CCing them, but should otherwise be very high priority
Plague: these assholes put on a short duration 90% debuff to all healing on whoever they hit, I've been killed or had party members die thanks to these dicks more than any other reaper. There was also a balance patch not too long ago where they made these also hit like carnage reapers, minus the vulnerability. Dangerous on their own but really shine with other large groups of mobs.

All reapers can spawn on their own over living mobs and also have a chance to spawn whenever something dies, but their spawn is directly tied to other mobs in the dungeon.

After enough reaper points and if you make sure you always have ghost touch reaper1 can be easier than elite, and the exp bonus does not go any higher after reaper1, the benefit to higher reaper skulls is a) reaper exp is calculated based purely on the quest level and multiplied by skull number (I cant remember the base exp per quest level) length or normal exp for the quest has no bearing on reaper EXP so obviously higher levels with higher skulls yields exponentially more reaper exp. And b) you get a stacking increased chance to find named items based on the difficulty rating of the quest casual-elite, this continues into reaper but at a smaller % post reaper1, higher reaper difficulties also increase the chance of the item rolling with a mythic or reaper boost on the item (helmets can roll with a +2 to all stat reaper boost that works in and out of reaper difficulty although this is insanely rare) reaper boosts on equipment typically only come into effect in reaper mode.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i dont have a ghost touch weapon yet im saving ingots for it from the keep on borderland. im also f2p so i need to work my way up to reaper by doing each difficulty below it. will completing it on reaper also give me the first time bonus? since its the first time on that difficulty or do they mean first time peroid?

snergle posted:

how do i send a tell or talk in say chat? im on thelassian and ive seen some guilds and i want to see if i can get their airship buffs.

also this.

snergle fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 24, 2020

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

/s should be say
/t should be tells

/help also will bring up all the chat commands

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

snergle posted:

i dont have a ghost touch weapon yet im saving ingots for it from the keep on borderland. im also f2p so i need to work my way up to reaper by doing each difficulty below it. will completing it on reaper also give me the first time bonus? since its the first time on that difficulty or do they mean first time peroid?

also this.

So first time bonuses are weird you have a first time period bonus (your streak bonus that you used to be able to break, but now cannot so its pretty much permanent) and then you have first time bonus for each difficulty so first time always do it on the highest difficulty you can handle after that you can repeat for each individual first time difficulty bonus if you like. There is also a 20% anti-ransack bonus basically if you repeat dungeons you get a 20% penalty for each repeat that goes away over time its something like 40% increase a day, if you run the quest for the "first time" of the day you get a 20% bonus (this only really comes into play in epics though and plays into what everyone calls "daily runs").

If you play on argonessen let me know your level and character name and I can probably craft you a decent ghost touch to start with.
crafting planner is http://ccplanner.byethost14.com/?i=1 it will give you an idea what levels you can craft what and where the bonus jumps up at.

Also F2P only means that you cannot unlock the difficulty yourself, if you have someone who either has the difficulty unlocked or is VIP you can have them open it on whatever difficulty you like,

Perpetual Notion fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 24, 2020

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
sorry to keep asking questions i could probably google. but if i make a character on the new hc server if i did get it to high level could i xfer it to the server of my choice for free when it ends?

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

snergle posted:

sorry to keep asking questions i could probably google. but if i make a character on the new hc server if i did get it to high level could i xfer it to the server of my choice for free when it ends?

From the sounds of things, yes.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Hey, i'm also an officer in the goon guild on Argonnessen - if you join the chat channel and request an invite i'll see it:

/joinchannel goons neckbeards

use /1 to talk

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch

snergle posted:

Also if you own any xpacks that give tome you get them on your first character. I think you get favor bonus like a new server too

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Did they change how critical range stacks in the past 4ish years? I could have sworn that my monk/fighter had a 12-20 critical threat range and now its just 19-20.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah Improved Crit feat and Keen/Impact only apply to the base crit rate instead of after all modifiers are applied. Not sure what Update did that, it was awhile ago, but maybe not 4 years.

So a monk has Unarmed is 20 threat range base. So Improved/Keen take that to 19-20.
Empty Hand Mastery is +1
Pulverizer from Dreadnaught is +1 (and works with Wraps as of U35)
So that would give you 17-20.

I probably missed a few things that would let you stack that higher as I was just referring to: https://ddowiki.com/page/Critical_threat

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

DemonMage posted:

Yeah Improved Crit feat and Keen/Impact only apply to the base crit rate instead of after all modifiers are applied. Not sure what Update did that, it was awhile ago, but maybe not 4 years.

So a monk has Unarmed is 20 threat range base. So Improved/Keen take that to 19-20.
Empty Hand Mastery is +1
Pulverizer from Dreadnaught is +1 (and works with Wraps as of U35)
So that would give you 17-20.

I probably missed a few things that would let you stack that higher as I was just referring to: https://ddowiki.com/page/Critical_threat

Ok good to know. I think I should just TR instead of trying to fix the mess that is 14 monk/6 fighter.

ThePotatoMasher
Feb 10, 2006

Crunch Crunch
hardcore is now open to everyone though they have added a feature of earning extra lives at certain points

https://youtu.be/ZYdxze66eaQ

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
What are some tools that help me, a lame Paladin, open up those secret doors?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

true seeing

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Perpetual Notion posted:

So first time bonuses are weird you have a first time period bonus (your streak bonus that you used to be able to break, but now cannot so its pretty much permanent) and then you have first time bonus for each difficulty so first time always do it on the highest difficulty you can handle after that you can repeat for each individual first time difficulty bonus if you like. There is also a 20% anti-ransack bonus basically if you repeat dungeons you get a 20% penalty for each repeat that goes away over time its something like 40% increase a day, if you run the quest for the "first time" of the day you get a 20% bonus (this only really comes into play in epics though and plays into what everyone calls "daily runs").

If you play on argonessen let me know your level and character name and I can probably craft you a decent ghost touch to start with.
crafting planner is http://ccplanner.byethost14.com/?i=1 it will give you an idea what levels you can craft what and where the bonus jumps up at.

Also F2P only means that you cannot unlock the difficulty yourself, if you have someone who either has the difficulty unlocked or is VIP you can have them open it on whatever difficulty you like,

Actually on this point, I'm on my second life and I'm not really clear on how I should get decent gear- I've been doing a bit of crafting but I'm behind where I am and I've only got bits of unique from like sharn/ravenloft gear

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Actually on this point, I'm on my second life and I'm not really clear on how I should get decent gear- I've been doing a bit of crafting but I'm behind where I am and I've only got bits of unique from like sharn/ravenloft gear

Did you get into crafting green steel items at all? What class are you?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

If anyone is interested in rolling a hardcore toon tonight I’ll be starting around 730 pm est. get in discord!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Lorem ipsum posted:

Did you get into crafting green steel items at all? What class are you?

I've never touched green steel, playing a barbarian rn

Perpetual Notion
Nov 17, 2004

Lorem ipsum posted:

Did they change how critical range stacks in the past 4ish years? I could have sworn that my monk/fighter had a 12-20 critical threat range and now its just 19-20.

They changed crit range/multiplier calculations shortly after the swashbuckler bard tree. Used to be if you had expanded threat on a weapon then either had keen or improved crit feat or enhancements it doubled the actual crit range of the weapon so say you had shining devastation (18-20/x3) and you got improved crit, you doubled the 18-20 so instead you got a 15 or 16-20 range. Now it calculates based on the base model of the item (20/x2) tacked onto the 18-20/x3 giving you a 17-20/x3. This is more pronounced with certain other weapons with even greater expanded threat ranges. However they also included competence crit range and multiplier enhancements to a lot of melee trees giving you a second stacking version if improved crit, but they also changed most of those previously uniqe crit range adjusters all into competence bonus so they don't stack with each other. Long story short, depending on how you built before, crit ranges have changed A LOT, you can still get sub 15 crit ranges but they are few and far between and extremely specialized.

Perpetual Notion fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 27, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've never had a green steel weapon because making one means doing quests in Vale of Twilight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I've never touched green steel, playing a barbarian rn

Having one piece of armour or a weapon is super helpful especially since you can use them at level 11.

I don't know if its still relevant or if it works with barbarian rage, but the madstone boots are really good for my monk.