Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I think we can all agree that chuck wendig is a dickbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Neither is the internet archive

There's at least one post you could find on the internet archive that would definitely lead to a man on craigslist who would do it under the guise of being the internet archive, so what you're arguing isn't strictly true now is it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BigBadSteve posted:

Writers deserve to be paid, most earn close to nothing, even really goood writers. They have moral and legal rights over their copyrighted works, many of which took years to create. So good move Chuck Wendig.

Shut the gently caress up idiot.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The Algonquin people have a word for people like chuck...

They call him fuckface

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
How many times do you think Chuck Wendigo has masturbated over Luke Skywalker drinking the alien titty milk in the last jedi?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Management posted:

I think we can all agree that chuck wendig is a dickbag.

Chuck Wendick?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Has he closed his twitter account yet

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Chuck Wendig isn't an indie creator owned cartoonist. He writes licensed Star Wars stuff, which IS work for hire. Even in indie 90% of your cash income is from the advance, and selling books at conventions, you make poo poo in royalties cause most of them are 16% on gross and good luck earning out on your niche GN even if your advance is comically low. Obviously ymmv but a dude writing for licensed comics as their main source of income isn't the same as a creator-owned indie cartoonist/writer/artist. Source: this is literally my job

EDIT: Google says his net worth is between 1 and 5 million.

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 13, 2020

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

There has never been more buzz about nothing hack Chuck Wendig

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im an author who wrote a proper, non-erotic, non-licensed novel of a hefty 500 pages, and i dont give a hot gently caress about the ebook being pirated. i dont make any loving money off it anyway and i'd rather people read it

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Milo and POTUS posted:

nah but he did lock it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I wish he'd wendig go

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A Grand Egg posted:

Are there any stats re authors: I lost money that actually effected me because of piracy of my book?

I've seen a few anecdotes where it could be argued that way but they are also really niche situations.

I can't find the article because I don't remember the name of the author or the series but the gist of it was there was a YA author who wrote a book series that didn't sell that much (something in the range of 10-20k or so per book, I wanna say?). They gave out digital advance reader copies and someone who was given one for the third book in the series uploaded it online several weeks before its release date. Sales numbers come in for that book and there is a noticeable decline by a few thousand sales.

So when they had the fourth book coming out they only gave out physical advance copies. It didn't leak, and the sales numbers went back up to the range they were for the first two books (and that goes against the typical trend of losing sales for every sequel book in a series).

So it does seem like piracy had an effect there. However it's a niche enough situation (combination of an obscure author with a rather small audience + the book getting leaked weeks in advance + the book being part of a series so that a portion of the audience would actually want to seek it out when it got leaked) that it doesn't apply to most authors. Certainly not anyone writing Star Wars books!

420 20
Apr 21, 2020
Ill do my part by setting up camp in the library and jerking off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Srice posted:

(and that goes against the typical trend of losing sales for every sequel book in a series)

Which could indicate that reaching the wider audience increased sales for the later book.

Not piracy, but the publisher Baen's Books was real early on ebooks (in non-DRM format) and also has a free library. A while back, like 15 years ago, I was pretty active in SF con crap and so talked to a number of the authors who were with Baen and doing that. They were all pretty agreed that it was good promotion and boosted their sales. Of course, they were generally giving away books that were the 1st in a series or well back in their catalog. David Drake though had like 20+ books up for free, iirc he said something like "if someone reads all of those then I haven't lost 20 sales, I've made a dedicated fan". That guy is stupid prolific so he can afford to be generous I guess.

(There isn't much being added to the free books section recently, and I think some books that used to be free aren't there anymore. But Jim Baen died a while back and I'm not sure how active the company is these days.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
people earn less money when you don't buy their poo poo and you can try to galaxy brain it as hard as you want but you're telling people they're lucky to have their poo poo stolen "for exposure". buuuullshit.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Pick posted:

people earn less money when you don't buy their poo poo and you can try to galaxy brain it as hard as you want but you're telling people they're lucky to have their poo poo stolen "for exposure". buuuullshit.

no, some pretty successful published authors told me that they did well from their stuff getting exposure

That's different than saying that piracy is harmless full stop. Obviously there is some middle ground between Chuck Wendig's gently caress you pay me and all books being free always and forever.

I'm not sure what the internet archive was thinking with the whole emergency "copyright infringement is ok now" idea. Their normal method of operation is the same as a library. Libraries are more important than an author earning a little bit less money.

e: and to be clear, the lawsuit now against them claims that their normal operation is also piracy. fuuuuck that.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Pick posted:

Should we disband libraries then?

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Pick posted:

the library destroyer has logged on

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Agent Escalus posted:

It's chronicled online that Wendig has the notoriety of being fired from his Star Wars writing gig due to his social media outbursts.

But not as an ultraconservative - as a wingnut leftist blowhard. In a company AND industry that swings predominantly left, no less!

oh, cool, I wasn't remembering wrong, that was him

just as a note, Disney absolutely the gently caress does not swing left, their only political allegiance is to "whatever makes them money" (and this usually results in them putting out hard-right propaganda and trying to fig-leaf it). Wendig isn't even the first person they've fired to try and appease the chuds.

and while the comics industry arguably does, they only "swing left" to the extent that if you're a straight-up white supremacist you'll get chased out, and even then you can just join Comicsgate and grift other chuds. meanwhile, being far-left and not being named Alan Moore or China Mieville doesn't tend to end well for you if you want Big Two work.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Like most twitter addicts I imagine he'd kill himself first.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Libraries purchase books. They're one of the biggest purchasers of books.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
The only good author named chuck is the legend chuck tingle. I need his next erotic novel about the Internet archive doing it in the butt of lawyers.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

just as a note, Disney absolutely the gently caress does not swing left, their only political allegiance is to "whatever makes them money" (and this usually results in them putting out hard-right propaganda and trying to fig-leaf it).

I can’t find this category on Disney plus

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Pick posted:

Are you just going to ignore the several authors that have come forward and said they don’t care if their work is pirated?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

so im guessing all the chuckboys ignored the bit about how all the major publishers are suing internet archive because of the very act of digital lending, which they've been trying to shut down in libraries for years

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Pick posted:

Quoting this if it turns out IA had purchased the individual copies.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

i think ive seen this wendig guy post in the truno thread

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Seems like the idea of "lost sales" is still alive and well, even though it was never shown to be anything but corporate wet farts and struck down as stupid in a court of law.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Pick posted:

people itt don't know how libraries work OR how the IA works or much of anything. you can't be too mad at them though, since they have correctly identified that Chuck Wendig sucks poo poo

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
https://twitter.com/MikeShoegazeLov/status/1271825858542686210
https://twitter.com/MinModulation/status/1271925764066287617

How can a single man embarrass himself so much?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I got it: Wendick

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

I can’t find this category on Disney plus

It's under the section called "Marvel"

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Based on the samples of Chuck Wendig's writing presented in this thread I think he should have to pay me for reading them.

Hope this doesn't snowball badly for the Internet Archive. Getting any kind of digital preservation going is already an uphill fight.

EdgyCoffeeMug
Jan 11, 2019

Chuck Tingle > Chuck Wendig

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

EdgyCoffeeMug posted:

Chuck Tingle > Chuck Wendig

Goes without saying.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Comic author plagiarized in the butt

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks, I hate 'im.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I've been a full-time self-pubbed author for the last four years and my poo poo gets pirated to hell and back, sometimes on release day. Guess what, I still make good money, because the people who want to steal my books were never going to buy the loving things in the first place. gently caress Chuck Wendig and his whole bullshit crusade to 'protect' small authors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Popular Human posted:

I've been a full-time self-pubbed author for the last four years and my poo poo gets pirated to hell and back, sometimes on release day. Guess what, I still make good money, because the people who want to steal my books were never going to buy the loving things in the first place. gently caress Chuck Wendig and his whole bullshit crusade to 'protect' small authors.

Listen, Pick will have you know