Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I buy baby carrots for snacking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

We’ve got some multi-color carrots growing in the garden. Probably a dumb question, but this is the first time I’ve grown carrots. How do I know when they’re ready for eatin’?

Like a lot of different root vegetables carrots will "shoulder" (the top of the carrot will start poking out from the ground) when they start reaching towards maturity. This should be the first signla tht you're getting really close. Usually it's how I know which one to pick when.

Literally A Person fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 13, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Babies do that too

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
baby carrots, for when your carrots just don't have enough chlorine!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

El_Elegante posted:

Babies do that too

There is a reason we don't use the word "crown"

Pahilla the Hun
Jul 24, 2007

Thinking about making a post

Think about it, make a post

El_Elegante posted:

I buy baby carrots for snacking

did you know that baby carrots aren’t actually infant carrots ripped from their mother’s side and slaughtered? no, they are actually regular, adult carrots who are mercilessly and systematically lathed to perfection, for your consumption.

i hope you’re happy

e: enjoy your “snack”

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Where does the baby corn come from I MUST KNOW

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Beef City posted:

Parsnips are carrots yea.
I mean they're carrot-like but basically same thing. They're tougher than carrots and have sort of a blander, yet more earthy flavor to them. Like if carrots, potatoes, and a black peppercorn had a 3 some and had a boring baby.

that sounds like a radish and radishes loving own. what a cool food. there's no way to cook them, theyre just best raw so nobody has to gently caress with it at all. i love buying them and just nabbing a few from the fridge every now and then, theyre so cheap too. what a good vegetable

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Walrus posted:

baby carrots, for when your carrots just don't have enough chlorine!

idgi but i also dont "get" baby carrots. the lathe thing sounds true to me and i assume the shavings go into those weird salad mixes

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pahilla the Hun posted:

did you know that baby carrots aren’t actually infant carrots ripped from their mother’s side and slaughtered? no, they are actually regular, adult carrots who are mercilessly and systematically lathed to perfection, for your consumption.

i hope you’re happy

e: enjoy your “snack”

I meant, for my infant child, I get them the carrots, to have as a snack

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

~Coxy posted:

Carrots are pretty good with salsa.
You can cut carrot sticks, or if you're fat and lazy like me just split them in half lengthways.

My wife also adds carrot slices to curry dishes. You will want to parboil them first but that's pretty easy to achieve with the microwave oven.

Yeah carrot and potato in curry sauce is great.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Baby carrots are cool because they're designed for more casually dipping into hummus or a feta dip or whatever and to throw in a school or work lunch. No one peels a carrot and then cuts it up for their work lunch except people who have way too much time on their hands which should probably be used more efficiently for jerking/jilling off.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 13, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Carotas eunt oras

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
is there a good reason to peel a carrot if you just wash it first? seems like one of thoses like a kiwi where you can eat the whole thing but people be turdbabies about it for some reason

is eating a little dirt even bad? we eat all these pesticides and microplastics all the time just fine

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Khanstant posted:

is there a good reason to peel a carrot if you just wash it first? seems like one of thoses like a kiwi where you can eat the whole thing but people be turdbabies about it for some reason

is eating a little dirt even bad? we eat all these pesticides and microplastics all the time just fine

I don't really peel mine but that's more a preference than anything. I do wash it well in the sink though.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I do peel them if I cook them in something!!!

The peel gets all kinds of weird when you cook it.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Peeling shows your dominance of the carrot

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AuntBuck posted:

Peeling shows your dominance of the carrot

...uh...go on....

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Spinz posted:

I eat them constantly

Celery is bitter, I used to eat it all the time but its so hit or miss I stopped.
Carrots are my main diet food, I mean thank God for them, so many times I use them to satisfy my oral fixation because no dick :shrug:

:chloe: :bernchloe:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Radishes own and I will eat them like candy. Love that spicy little root.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I eat carrots and celery every day. Makes the poop nice and firm with minimal cleanup.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Spinz posted:

I eat them constantly

Celery is bitter, I used to eat it all the time but its so hit or miss I stopped.
Carrots are my main diet food, I mean thank God for them, so many times I use them to satisfy my oral fixation because no dick :shrug:

Yeah, I prefer carrots and celery to dick too, OP.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Literally A Person posted:

Like a lot of different root vegetables carrots will "shoulder" (the top of the carrot will start poking out from the ground) when they start reaching towards maturity. This should be the first signla tht you're getting really close. Usually it's how I know which one to pick when.

My lady said she peeked in on the carrots while I was away buying manly things at the Home Depot and they weren’t ready yet. In other news our cherry tomatoes are finally fruiting and our big strawberry plant has like 30 berries almost ready for picking. I can’t wait for those tomaters. Nothing better than popping them right off the vine into your gob.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

a weird thing I used to do when I was a kid was I'd take a raw carrot and just like eat the outer part of it? the more orangey part? leaving the lighter core behind to be eaten separately. The outer layer and the core separate pretty easily actually. Anyway, I know that's a super fuckin weirdo kid thing, but the orange part and whiter part taste different, the core was more peppery but also sweeter, so I'd save that for last. I haven't done that since I was like 10 or something I should go grab a carrot right now

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Skratte posted:

a weird thing I used to do when I was a kid was I'd take a raw carrot and just like eat the outer part of it? the more orangey part? leaving the lighter core behind to be eaten separately. The outer layer and the core separate pretty easily actually. Anyway, I know that's a super fuckin weirdo kid thing, but the orange part and whiter part taste different, the core was more peppery but also sweeter, so I'd save that for last. I haven't done that since I was like 10 or something I should go grab a carrot right now

Reading this was nostalgic as gently caress.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Skratte posted:

this is the correct way to eat, just like individually eating the legs off animal crackers first before eating the rest

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i wish someone taught me how to eat an apple as a little kid the way so you cant chomp through the whole core and everything.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

this is the correct way to eat, just like individually eating the legs off animal crackers first before eating the rest

lol if you dont immediately decapitate them

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Checking in to say I am going to the refrigerator right now to grab me a loving carrot.

Pahilla the Hun
Jul 24, 2007

Checking in to say I am going to the refrigerator right now to grab me a loving carrot.

carrot on, brother

i cooked parsnips tonight

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Pahilla the Hun posted:

carrot on, brother

i cooked parsnips tonight

Roasted?

Pahilla the Hun
Jul 24, 2007

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, you KNOW this my man

Pahilla the Hun
Jul 24, 2007

a little olive oil, garlic powder, oregano—-them parsnips never seen it comin

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Pahilla the Hun posted:

a little olive oil, garlic powder, oregano—-them parsnips never seen it comin

:respek:

Pahilla the Hun
Jul 24, 2007

the carrots, however, did see it coming and are holding me hostage please send 100 ranch dressings

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Send in a hostage negotiator and we'll try to talk them down to 50 zesty vinaigrette.

Pahilla the Hun
Jul 24, 2007

Send in a hostage negotiator and we'll try to talk them down to 50 zesty vinaigrette.

oh god you should see the eye roll i got when i said “vinaigrette” this might get bad

i have cilantro avocado dip, though, and i think if i can just....i know i should have left it to the experts but this is serious

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Roast them carrots too, imo maybe a fennel bulb and some fingerling potatoes too

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

terminal chillness posted:

Roast them carrots too, imo maybe a fennel bulb and some fingerling potatoes too

fennel bulb is for when you wanna show your friends what a real loving vegetable is all about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
That's right it's a licorice celery onion. EAT IT!