Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
With the trend of removing statues of Confederate generals and slave traders -- by force, if necessary -- are there any highly controversial historical figures that you would argue are worthy of that much iron molded in their image? How would you justify that?

Who, in your opinion, is truly deserving of such a tribute otherwise? Or are statues simply passé? Maybe we should just stick to naming buildings and bridges in honor of those most deserving?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean personally I object to the glorification of individuals, history does not happen by the will of an individual, it happens because of tides of need and want in society in response to material conditions.

There are some people out there who are good people, but I'd rather if you're gonna put statues up, put them up to represent groups of people, not individuals. Even the best people are backed up by lots of other people who fought for their cause.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

We need someone with a big canon to blow up the three horsemen of the confederacy off stone mountain.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

I mean personally I object to the glorification of individuals, history does not happen by the will of an individual, it happens because of tides of need and want in society in response to material conditions.

There are some people out there who are good people, but I'd rather if you're gonna put statues up, put them up to represent groups of people, not individuals. Even the best people are backed up by lots of other people who fought for their cause.

Groups of people? Like the Terracotta Warriors?

I kid! I kid!

Good post.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There are some quite nice ones, even about the world wars.

No one person, just good ideas. Though it is perhaps a bit revisionist about things like exactly how willing the UK was to accept refugees. So you still have problems of them being hagiography.

(I also have a personal fondness for soviet statues but that's mostly just because there are some extremely cool looking ones just artistically, but some of the ones that are just of like, workers, those are nice too, plus I'd kinda like this guy just in my room :eyepop:)

There's quite a few bits of soviet statuary though that's just far more appealing visually than some old fart sat on a horse or just standing there holding a book or something. Like they capture an energy, even if you have no idea who they are they communicate something, it's not just a statue of a dude, it's a statue of an idea. They're much more artistically interesting.

I think a lot of monuments have pretty minimal artistic value, especially if they're of some lovely politician or whatever. It might as well just be a bare column.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 13, 2020

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Powerful stuff...

https://twitter.com/keithedwards/status/1271477217353240583

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
That statue of the woman hitting a neo nazi with her handbag is pretty dope. Too bad the town ultimately decided they didn't want it because it 'glorifies violence' :(

http://www.leninpriset.se/with-the-handbag-as-a-weapon/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Replace the Statue of Liberty with a 50m 1:1 scale model of Godzilla.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

DrSunshine posted:

Replace the Statue of Liberty with a 50m 1:1 scale model of Godzilla.

Actually, ol' Lady Liberty is one statue that I'd give a pass. Lots of history and meaning there, even if she's being violated by the White House incumbent.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindlifresserbrunnen

also the frogner park baby fighter

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Well, that's not disturbing !!!

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020
The only statues I approve of are salient iterations of Marx, Engels, Lenin, Stalin, Mao, and Hoxha.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Another one that ought to fall...

Former Murray State star Ja Morant is asking a Kentucky judge to remove a Confederate monument in downtown Murray.

Morant, who was drafted with the second pick in the 2019 NBA draft by the Memphis Grizzlies, led Murray State to a conference championship in 2019.

"Murray felt like a second home from the minute I stepped on campus and became a part of the Murray state community," Morant said in a letter to the Calloway County judge dated Thursday.

"As a young Black man, I cannot stress enough how disturbing and oppressive it is to know the city still honors a Confederate war general defending white supremacy and hatred."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29307166/ja-morant-asks-judge-confederate-monument-removed-murray

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CocoaNuts posted:

Actually, ol' Lady Liberty is one statue that I'd give a pass. Lots of history and meaning there, even if she's being violated by the White House incumbent.

Yeah, honestly it's a great statue and a gift from France, and very historic.

They should though, tear down every statue of a Confederate general and erect statues to Rosa Parks, John Brown, Frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King, instead. In more conservative areas, erect a statue to Abraham Lincoln. Who could turn down ol' Abe??

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, honestly it's a great statue and a gift from France, and very historic.

They should though, tear down every statue of a Confederate general and erect statues to Rosa Parks, John Brown, Frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King, instead. In more conservative areas, erect a statue to Abraham Lincoln. Who could turn down ol' Abe??

Lotta dummies in the South still see Abe Lincoln as the "Great Invader". I've got a relative who almost every time I see him tries to convince me the North was the aggressor in the Civil War. And he's in the North.

I just don't get it.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

I did not know this statue existed before landing at the Senegal airport. It is impressive in it's sheer scale, both in physical size and grift, and should be left standing as a testament.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Delta-Wye posted:

I did not know this statue existed before landing at the Senegal airport. It is impressive in it's sheer scale, both in physical size and grift, and should be left standing as a testament.

Yeah, I dunno. That guy makes me feel a little self-conscious about my physique.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

OwlFancier posted:

No one person, just good ideas.

... it's a statue of an idea. They're much more artistically interesting.

Are there any statues that don't just represent ideas? What does say, a statue of Rosa Parks really mean? You could say her statue represents the idea that one person can change history, reinforcing the great man theory of history. You could say her statue represents courage in the face of adversity and oppression. Or her statue represents pride in being a black woman. Any observer of her statue could come up with numerous explanations. But likely none of those explanations will say that the statue of Rosa Parks means a human being named Rosa Parks. Like someone just decided to put up a statue of a random person. A statue can't capture the complexity of a human being, it can only capture our collective ideas of a person. A statue is a human creation formed out of human thought and action to represent human ideas. Even if someone just makes a statue for the hell of it, they're representing that idea of art for its own sake in their statue.

I agree that we should avoid statues focused on specific famous people because statues of specific famous people reinforce a narrative, an idea, that individuals are the driving force of social change - that MLK just summoned thousands of people to show up in Washington one day by pure magic. But ultimately statues are always just representing ideas.

Sorry if I'm being a bore with this argument, I could have just said:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I'm sure all statues represent ideas to someone but I also think that you can make statues more or less communicative.

Like some rear end in a top hat on a plinth just standing there doesn't communicate anything other than the rear end in a top hat was apparently important enough to get a statue made of them. But you could also make a statue that by its form communicates some energy or action.

Everything is subjective, sure, but I'm gonna subjectively say that people on plinths are loving boring to look at and I can't tell 90% of them apart.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

CocoaNuts posted:

With the trend of removing statues of Confederate generals and slave traders -- by force, if necessary -- are there any highly controversial historical figures that you would argue are worthy of that much iron molded in their image? How would you justify that?

Who, in your opinion, is truly deserving of such a tribute otherwise? Or are statues simply passé? Maybe we should just stick to naming buildings and bridges in honor of those most deserving?

I'm pretty good with former Eastern Bloc countries putting up statues of Freddy Mercury and Bruce Lee because the locals could not agree on anyone else after years of bitter internal strife and warfare.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CocoaNuts posted:

Statues can be neat, and some spaces are practically designed around having one. If it happens to currently be one dedicated to some shithead, which chances are is the case, then just replace it with one of similar scale. Ideally you'd replace them with statues of someone who was the antithesis of the shithead in question, like replacing statues of Lee with evocative statues of liberation.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I'm sure all statues represent ideas to someone but I also think that you can make statues more or less communicative.

Like some rear end in a top hat on a plinth just standing there doesn't communicate anything other than the rear end in a top hat was apparently important enough to get a statue made of them. But you could also make a statue that by its form communicates some energy or action.
Yeah, adding some form of context to the statue would do a lot to make it about more than the person. Looking up Rosa Parks statues, they generally seem to be of the moment where she's sitting on a bus in defiance of orders to give her seat away to a white dude, which kind of communicates a point by a lack of action or energy. I mean, you sorta do need to know the story of it, but at least the focus is on the (lack of) action. A lot of them are also not raised, but placed at street level, which helps communicate the idea that she was just another person.

Contrast those with the ones where she's standing waiting for the bus, which puts the focus much more on her as an individual. They also seem to be more likely to be on a plinth, raising her up as someone apart from the rest of humanity like she's a goddamn royal or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or if you want alternative ways to sculpt something related to the civil rights movement you could have like an actual group of protestors or people doing a sit in, people marching and holding placards or sitting and occupying a space, you can capture the same feeling you get when you see people doing it in real life, or in photographs.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

Or if you want alternative ways to sculpt something related to the civil rights movement you could have like an actual group of protestors or people doing a sit in, people marching and holding placards or sitting and occupying a space, you can capture the same feeling you get when you see people doing it in real life, or in photographs.
Yeah, "group statues" would likely be superior in most cases. Having an actual demonstration/march as a series of statues, where you can actually walk around at eye level with the people portrayed, could be quite powerful. Pretty much the antithesis of the "dude on a plinth" statue in terms of message and effect.

Thinking about the bit about action and energy though, I now want a series of statues of various abolitionist and civil rights campaigners fighting against a hydra made of chains. Just completely erase the actual slavers and their ideological descendants from memory and just have the institutions they championed be represented as this evil that keeps sprouting new heads whenever one aspect of it is destroyed.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Statues can be neat, and some spaces are practically designed around having one. If it happens to currently be one dedicated to some shithead, which chances are is the case, then just replace it with one of similar scale. Ideally you'd replace them with statues of someone who was the antithesis of the shithead in question, like replacing statues of Lee with evocative statues of liberation.

Yeah, adding some form of context to the statue would do a lot to make it about more than the person. Looking up Rosa Parks statues, they generally seem to be of the moment where she's sitting on a bus in defiance of orders to give her seat away to a white dude, which kind of communicates a point by a lack of action or energy. I mean, you sorta do need to know the story of it, but at least the focus is on the (lack of) action. A lot of them are also not raised, but placed at street level, which helps communicate the idea that she was just another person.

Contrast those with the ones where she's standing waiting for the bus, which puts the focus much more on her as an individual. They also seem to be more likely to be on a plinth, raising her up as someone apart from the rest of humanity like she's a goddamn royal or something.

One concept I really like are statues you can sit down with, like Chiune Sugihara's, represented in the act of giving a visa:

http://www.publicartinla.com/Downtown/Little_Tokyo/sugihara.html

or Oscar Peterson's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Oscar_Peterson

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ecureuilmatrix posted:

One concept I really like are statues you can sit down with, like Chiune Sugihara's, represented in the act of giving a visa:

http://www.publicartinla.com/Downtown/Little_Tokyo/sugihara.html

or Oscar Peterson's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Oscar_Peterson

Every seated statue has been the victim of countless drunk dudes faking getting their dick sucked. I’ve seen it happen to a seated Ben Franklin, a seated newspaper editor, and a seated seamstress. It’s inevitable really unless you make it impossible to stand in their lap

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Just give them an actual dick so they don't have to pretend.

*edit* I misread, I thought you said they were blowing the statues, not the other way around.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

Every seated statue has been the victim of countless drunk dudes faking getting their dick sucked. I’ve seen it happen to a seated Ben Franklin...

Ol' Ben said it was ELECTRIFYIN"!!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to drunkenly shag an effigy of ben franklin I don't see why I need to stop you.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

pretty sure ben franklin drunkenly shagged more people than the number of frat boys drunkenly shagging his statue

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, "group statues" would likely be superior in most cases. Having an actual demonstration/march as a series of statues, where you can actually walk around at eye level with the people portrayed, could be quite powerful. Pretty much the antithesis of the "dude on a plinth" statue in terms of message and effect.

The Korean War memorial in DC is like this, anonymous soldiers wandering through the bushes looking grim and wet and cold

I’d love to see the same done for a protest.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The UK should put up a statue to the guy whose dead body they used to leak the fake plans about the Allied invasion of Nazi territory.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Lotta dummies in the South still see Abe Lincoln as the "Great Invader". I've got a relative who almost every time I see him tries to convince me the North was the aggressor in the Civil War. And he's in the North.

I just don't get it.

Because there's functionally no cultural barriers between states, so southern nationalism can freely leak into the north, and that's also why there are confederate monuments in Canada.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can also repurpose the statue itself, like what Odessa did with a statue of Lenin.

Apparently the helmet also emits wifi.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Cicero posted:

Can also repurpose the statue itself, like what Odessa did with a statue of Lenin.

Apparently the helmet also emits wifi.

That's cool!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

this was probably posted in the UKMT, but it deserves a mention here too https://twitter.com/HelenJMacdonald/status/1272790032244490240?s=19

the notorious *checks notes* author of Adam Bede

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

monument avenue (where all the confederate statues are in richmond) has one non-confederate statue, this extremely bizarre depiction of arthur ashe:

its supposed to show him 'giving books to children' because he was a big proponent of literacy. that is not what i take away from it.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

also, to answer the op's question

https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1271136832097595392?s=19
https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/1271137924910850048?s=19

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A list of people its acceptable to build a statue of:

Abraham Lincoln
Giuseppe Garibaldi
Martin Luther King Jr
Dexter from Dexter's Lab
Eugene Debs
Sojourner Truth
Frederick Douglass
John Brown
Peter Falk
Harriet Tubman
Bruce Lee
He-Man
Canadian rock band The Barenaked Ladies

This is comprehensive. If they're not on the list you shouldn't build a statue of them sorry.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
All statues should be of the guy who invented Tetris

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Feldegast42 posted:

pretty sure ben franklin drunkenly shagged more people than the number of frat boys drunkenly shagging his statue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Ovvj-YpEM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

They just put up a dozen more replica statues of Frederick Douglass around town here last year for his 200th birthday. A couple of the ones in front of schools end up with scarves and holiday getup.

Nothing even inherently wrong with mass produced statuary, when it's not of slavers.