Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lol, LJ.

The rest of that was mostly kinda dumb, but that was dumb and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Layton seems woefully under prepared for making a colony. Like they implied that the plan was for Snowpiercer to rejoin later, but it doesn't seem like long range communication is possible. Building a colony around the main train, with Big Alice being used for resource gathering seems doable, but it didn't seem like they actually had enough stuff to get started.

I'm not sure what I was meant to be looking at during the cliffhanger?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

OldMemes posted:

I'm not sure what I was meant to be looking at during the cliffhanger?

It looked like some explosion in the air but then they specially show pieces of a rocket falling back down. Sort of reminds me of pieces of thruster rockets for a shuttle launch that fall back to Earth - obviously a smaller version of the real thing - but it doesn't really look like anything went further up because of it so it probably wasn't. Who knows. I'm probably 100% way off heh. Perhaps there's another group of survivors involved with it and this has something to do with it:

Scrotum Modem fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 29, 2022

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Scrotum Modem posted:

It looked like some explosion in the air but then they specially show pieces of a rocket falling back down. Sort of reminds me of pieces of thruster rockets for a shuttle launch that fall back to Earth - obviously a smaller version of the real thing - but it doesn't really look like anything went further up because of it so it probably wasn't. Who knows. I'm probably 100% way off heh. Perhaps there's another group of survivors involved with it and this has something to do with it:

My assumption for that scene was Wilford took his li'l vehicle to some storage shack of his, grabbed some rockets, and used it to blow up a piece of track in order to divert Snowpiercer to some place where he can sneak aboard to take over again.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s probably a third faction.

That wrapped up a little too neat midpoint. Like - SO FAST.

But the end was exciting!

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I enjoyed the ending a lot but agree it went very fast. Particularly felt like they didn't have enough time for Javi this season - no resolution to the dog PTSD stuff but more importantly he was on the 'gently caress Layton' side last week but ended up on Big Alice?? I expected it, because otherwise Alex is the only engineer on that side of the train, but they needed at few lines (even one!) to address his decision-making.

Same with the Boki reveal, felt like they had to cut a lot for time. Should've been an extended episode imo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

One minute he can take a shovel to the back of the head the next he gets knocked out running into a fan grate. :/ It was super weird AND he's suddenly nice and doesn't wanna murder people. It seems like a whole episode or two was cut.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was still a good season but the pacing was unbelievably wack. Why did we need two episodes on Steven Ogg’s heel turn? Was that worth cramming everything that happened in episode nine into 44 minutes?

Still can’t believe this show turned out as good as it did though. Miraculous.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wafflecop posted:

Same with the Boki reveal, felt like they had to cut a lot for time. Should've been an extended episode imo.

It was honestly perfect for a two parter but I suspect Connelly's availability affected a lot of the season.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Javi's PTSD was addressed already in a previous episode, his lady friend helped him through it.

It really does feel like this episode needed another 10-20 minutes to breathe but at least as a series finale it was decent. I get the feeling they were surprised to get a fourth season at all and I've no idea how it's going to be any better than what we've seen on the show so far.

The ability to split the train in half in 6 hours seems impossible to do without properly taking into account the balance of skills and resources. At first I thought they were just going to send Wilford off as a track-tester because he's got the smarts to keep himself alive and record any data properly while also being a perfectly fine sacrifice if things went awry; the sort of compromise I felt was necessary last episode. The idea they just sent him off and were like "we're too chickenshit to kill you or fridge you" is super weird to me. The fact we're probably never coming back to the "why are these people's medical records marked like this" mystery of the fridge bothers me. I'm really going to dislike the loss of all the character dynamics next season and I'll probably dislike jumping between settlement and train, if that's what they end up doing. It really feels like they may have written themselves into a corner here, it's entirely possible the show should have just ended. It feels like Pike's death is all the more meaningless with how this all played out, which is a shame despite his fate being self-inflicted. LJ's final scene made me crack up laughing but I'm sad to see the actress go... if they actually keep her dead, anyway.

Also Boki wasn't hit in the face by a fan grate, it was a bulkhead. It's hard to catch but there's a massive slab of metal on the other side of the grating. It was weird bringing that character back when the thing that made him so entertaining, his personality, wasn't really on display at all.

As for the rocket at the end, that was either someone trying to get off planet and failing or someone trying to launch a satellite and failing. There is the alternative that someone was trying to plant something into the atmosphere but I don't think an explosion does a decent job of denoting such an attempt. The weirdest alternative is there's a war going on but Snowpiercer has never been around to witness it.

7/10.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Mr. Nemo posted:

100%. Every day they don’t imprison/kill the confirmed psycho killer is another lost aopportunity

Show redeemed.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
How viable would it be to have a group of people survive in a space station without constant resupply?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
About as viable as a group of people surviving on a train without resupply, if not slightly more since you don't have to solve the perpetual motion issue

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I guess when you think about it they're all supposed to be closed systems.

A bunker can run on geo-thermal and solar.

Snowpiercer requires the material in the show to power their unique system.

And a space station needs to use solar.

They just need to solve the heat problem with appropriate insulation.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

bou posted:

/NE: Audrey's singing in the last Episode was beautiful. Does anyone know a youtube link or something to a full version?

It was a cover of a Neko Case song, and Audrey did a good job, but it's hard to top Neko https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMgkop02h7s

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Wow. Thank you for this! The song is really haunting and so fitting.

Finally had the time to watch the finale and i have to agree with what was said already. They definitely rushed some bits and some of the motivations for the people who stayed and who left did not make sense from the context that was given. But i don't mind this that much at all. I think they stuck their landing and i am very excited wherto they will go from here. They left A LOT of options. Time and again the show reminds me of Battlestar Galactica with the last survivors of humanity, reliance on "faith" and now it sems we're hitting the New Caprica part of the story.
Let's go!

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I stopped watching BSG part way through the New Caprica season :/

Too long ago to remember why but I hear others did too

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Producers at Syfy told them to drop the serialised plots -- though romance drama seems to have been acceptable, hence the whole (terrible) boxing flashback episode. There's also a string of pretty poor episodes around a third of the way through the season, and another set two thirds of the way in.

I think they're mostly better than what this show came up with this year though tbh.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Do the people leaving have anyway of contacting the main train, or a plan for it to check on them again when the colony is established? The episode seemed a little vague on that. Some of the characters acted like this was a final split, others like they were going away for a while, but expected to be reunited later.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

OldMemes posted:

Do the people leaving have anyway of contacting the main train, or a plan for it to check on them again when the colony is established? The episode seemed a little vague on that. Some of the characters acted like this was a final split, others like they were going away for a while, but expected to be reunited later.

there's no gurantee that they'll be able to find a route to the colony spot again, that the train will survive long enough to make it back to the colony, nor that the colony itself will survive at all. the people assuming a final split are doomers about surviving, and the people hoping for a reunion are *spits* optimists.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

there's no gurantee that they'll be able to find a route to the colony spot again, that the train will survive long enough to make it back to the colony, nor that the colony itself will survive at all. the people assuming a final split are doomers about surviving, and the people hoping for a reunion are *spits* optimists.

Yeah Alex and Melanie act like its a temporary expedition and they'll be together again at some point, whereas the other characters treat it like a more permanent choice. If the components keep breaking faster than they can be repaired or replaced, Snowpiercer is going to have to stop somewhere - at least then it can be used as the core of a colony providing power, food, information archives, medical etc.

The second train had the Big Alice engine (which has a much lower output) and like, a few food cars?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Big Alice train was around half the train, iirc. I would presume they'd stock it with what they expected to need in the colony.

I'm curious who the seed vault went with. Did they gamble it on Big Alice or did Melanie keep it on what she saw as the safer bet.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

The Big Alice train was around half the train, iirc. I would presume they'd stock it with what they expected to need in the colony.

I'm curious who the seed vault went with. Did they gamble it on Big Alice or did Melanie keep it on what she saw as the safer bet.

Isn't Big Alice just an engine plus sixish cars though? They took a greenhouse with them, something Big Alice didn't have. Unlike Snowpiercer, they were dependent on an increasingly diminished supply of rations during the seven years, since they couldn't produce food onboard.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
No I meant the train they brought to New Eden was roughly half the train.

I would presume resources were split along similar lines (save stuff needed to keep Snowpiercer moving)

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Apparently TNT are scrapping scripted shows, so I assume season 4 will be the last one. Honestly, that's about right for genre shows.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Wafflecop posted:

I enjoyed the ending a lot but agree it went very fast. Particularly felt like they didn't have enough time for Javi this season - no resolution to the dog PTSD stuff but more importantly he was on the 'gently caress Layton' side last week but ended up on Big Alice?? I expected it, because otherwise Alex is the only engineer on that side of the train, but they needed at few lines (even one!) to address his decision-making.

I'm can't believe they kept the dog alive. Sure it is only one of three remining dogs, but it's a murder dog that only listens to Wilford. Which train did the dog choose?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I have a feeling we had a cut scene of Javi getting the dog to listen to him.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I'm surprised they haven't encountered any bunker people. There were lots of bunkers built during the cold war

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

How good do you think a nuclear fallout bunker is going to be at -420 degrees? Sure it's made of asbestos and lead but it's not designed for magic climate change juice.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Given how the Korean shelter worked out, you'd need a bunker that's deep underground, has a sustainable geothermal reactor, a diverse population, and is self sufficient in food and other vital supplies, and be able to keep order. Given how quickly the world froze, that would have to be thrown together very, very fast.

Even the train is only just sustainable, and that was quickly thrown together.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ending next season which feels right.

https://deadline.com/2022/06/snowpiercer-canceled-end-season-4-tnt-1235047908/amp/

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Four seasons seems right for a genre show like this. Hopefully they stick the landing.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
necroing the thread for this

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1614062264050401280?s=20

Snowpiercer got Batgirl'd

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Crumbs.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I will never understand producing and filming something and then not airing it. maybe Netflix will take it idk

if not then just put it on youtube or something, it literally doesn't matter lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress just put it out on streaming. Finish the loving story. Wasting everyone’s time is so lovely.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

I popped into this forum for the first time ever randomly, clicked on the too 10 thread and was pleasantly shocked to find out this show existed.

About to finish season 2, and I just have to say I haven’t enjoyed something like this in I don’t know how long. I’ve been binge watching this all weekend.

Is the stuff I’m seeing floating around about season 4 going to Netflix accurate, or is that just the rumor mill?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

tokyo reject posted:

Is the stuff I’m seeing floating around about season 4 going to Netflix accurate, or is that just the rumor mill?

No-one actually knows, it's just an extrapolation based on some international release deals for previous seasons.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

Open Source Idiom posted:

No-one actually knows, it's just an extrapolation based on some international release deals for previous seasons.

Ahh thank you. I’m going to be chomping at the bit for this one to get released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It airs on Netflix here in the UK.

If it's done, just air it. There's three big names in it, and it's literally the last season.